Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlondRobin posted:

If you're on anything less than Lunatic, SpotPass old-series teams can be summoned infinitely and can be grinded for free.

(On Lunatic, they only give 1 exp.)
They can still be grinded infinitely anyway! :shepface:

Also why is the Black Knight in the SpotPass stuff in a class that can't use swords? I could reclass him to demon fighter or something I guess, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The DLC's pretty optional. If you don't want it, then you aren't really missing out on anything - it doesn't seem to be going the route of 'here's a critical plot element for five dollars,' or something, and it doesn't slam the fact that there's DLC in your face like, say, Dragon Age: Origins. If you wanna play the Smash Brothers dream team and have Marth and Roy back to back, cool, here's Marth and Roy. If you don't, then you've only missed out on having Marth and Roy. Which you obviously don't want.

It's a pretty good way of handling DLC, in my opinion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Holy moly, I just watched this video, and drat, this guy playing. He puts Lissa, with 7HP, right in front of the boss... and then scores a 5% critical with his Avatar and wins anyway. :psyduck: drat you Fire Emblem, you fickle beast.
He has Lissa tanking hits the entire time and lets Frederick get all the kills. It's kind of amazing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They probably changed Gimle's name to prevent the assumption that you had his axe.

As for why Grima... iunno, the reference fits better?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The problem there is repeated end-classing has an end goal in mind. You can't have a dude in every class at once, so you have to have a pre-planned end class in mind for them. Haar is still a badass Wyvern Lord, he just spends some of the game as a Berserker and a General.

But yeah, this game's reclassing is a lot less hosed than FE11/12's.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 17, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

Ughhhhh I planned to ignore the 3DS completely but I can't say no to that lovely bundle. Are there any other worthwhile 3DS games out there so I don't feel lovely about it once I'm done with Awakening?
Star Fox 64 3DS and Zelda 64 3DS are obviously remakes of good games, if you don't feel like digging out your 64 every time you want to play those. Mario Kart 7 is a good Mario Kart game, if you like Mario Kart. Kid Icarus Uprising is also very good, and Super Mario 3D Land is the requisite Good Mario Platformer. If you're bored with that then skip it, but if you still like those then go for broke. From there it depends mostly on the sort of stuff you like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Canadian posted:

This will be my first Fire Emblem game because I was always turned off by stupid perma-death and now with the option to be rid of that, I am interested to play.

That said, I have a question: What exactly are the key differences between classes? From what I have seen there is no class specific abilities, you just walk beside dude and swing. If any given class can use the same weapon as another class, why should I pick one over the other? I assume mounted/flying classes move further and some stats might be different but other than that I am clueless.

Example that specifically I wonder about is that your My Unit class is good with swords and spells, but so is the dark knight class, why one over the other?
1: They do learn different skills and do have class specific abilities. You can find a list of these here.

2: Classes have different stat caps.

3: The characters themselves are different, even if they're in the exact same class. Let me make an example using an earlier game, FE7.

These are Lowen's average stats, per level. As you can see, his strength, skill, and speed are all middling, almost to the point of being bad. However, his HP and defense are high, and his luck is pretty good too. These are all fairly defensive stats. Lowen, in other words, is a very tanky unit with mediocre offensive abilities. Being a cavalier, this makes him useful at quickly getting to places and starting a defense there - he doesn't have to worry about dying much, unless mages get involved or he's facing an absolute horde of enemies.

These are Sain's average stats, per level.. Sain's got a ton of STR, mediocre everything else. He does one thing, hitting dudes, and he does it well. He's got just enough bulk to him to not be frail, though he won't stand up to a ton of extended hits. Sain, in other words, is good for taking out key targets or setting up tanky units to be killed by someone else.

Sain and Lowen are both cavaliers. They both promote into paladins. They're the exact same class, use the exact same weapons, but they perform two very different roles due to their stat growths and base stats.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My personal favorite is the 50-some barons over the course of FE4/5. Jugdral's nobility just got a lot more exclusive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nibble posted:

Speaking of stat caps, how do they work with reclassing? If you have a unit with a natural 25 Strength, then reclass to a class with a cap of 20 Strength, what happens?
It goes down to 20 strength, but it keeps the 25 strength 'stored.' If you reclass back to their old class, they'll have 25 strength again. Since the strength is capped in their new class, however, they won't be able to gain any str while it's capped.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Female MyUnit not available in the demo version. Thanks, FE13.

EDIT: Also you can't customize his appearance any.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm like 90% sure the default Male Avatar voice is Johnny Young Bosch. Laws of anime dubs maintained.

EDIT: Staff EXP is a lot higher, also Lissa just got a perfect level, gently caress you too demo.

EDIT2: If you get a game over you have to start the entire thing over. :shepface:

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 17, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No, no, the permadeath thing and the difficulty are two seperate options. After you pick your difficulty you'll get a Casual/Classic option, Classic is Permadeath and Casual is Final Fantasy Tactics style rez at the end of battle. The demo's locked into casual mode, by the by.

Also no idea on any of the VAs besides Troy Baker and Kate Higgins. I can make guesses, but Troy Baker is the only one I've seen confirmed and Kate Higgins's voice is way too distinct.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Francis posted:

As for the rest, well. I know Fire Emblem has always been anime as gently caress, but it had a kind of 80s throwback charm to it. This pandering moé bullshit can die in a fire.
???

The artstyle's different but the writing seems just about exactly the same.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean of the female characters in the demo Liz is a very toned-down Serra and Sully is basically Vaida: The Early Years.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Or that it's just an artstyle. Seriously why are people hung up on that?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Question. If you give a character, Say, Aether and lethality, will it roll once for Aether activation and once for Lethality activation? Or will it only roll for one of the skills, or can you not have two Activation skills at once?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

e: ^^^ there's an internal list of what order it rolls for skills. I don't recall how it breaks ties, but generally, the less often a skill procs, the earlier it's rolled. So Letheality will get checked first, and then if it didn't proc, aether will be checked.
Time to manipulate the pairings so that My Unit's son/daughter gets five activation skills. :getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slate Action posted:

Is there anything to do in the postgame besides grind and play DLC maps?
There are a couple of postgame maps built in I'm pretty sure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slate Action posted:

Wait, there's 120 legacy characters you can recruit via the free Spotpass DLC, each encountered in their own mission? So there's 120 free DLC missions out of the box?

:stare:

e: VVV Okay that makes more sense. Still, it seems like the ability to pick and choose legacy characters in each playthrough is going to give the game incredible replay value.
The legacy characters come in groups. So, for instance, you fight the FE10 characters (Micaiah, Sothe, Edward, Leonardo, Brom, Nephenee, Sigrun, Sanaki, Sephiran, Black Knight, Oliver) as one enemy army and they're recruited in that mission.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Huh, really? Guess I was misinformed then, my bad.

EDIT: Also, how 'unique' are the spotpass character models? I doubt much at all but I hope they at least bothered making Oliver as tubby as he is in FE9/10.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 20, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Literally all of them are built with the same options as you use to build your Avatar.
How do you even get the Black Knight out of those options, then?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Basically, FE13's growths are like FE10's if they weren't ridiculously lopsided.

Aran's rockin' a 70% defense growth, and a 75% strength growth, but he also has a 35% speed growth.

EDIT: v That too. In relation to their stat caps and enemy stats, growths aren't that out of control. Not to mention the pair up system and needing 5 speed to double makes higher numbers in some stats mean less.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 20, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

So as someone who loved FE7 but wasn't crazy about FE8/9/10, is FE13 gonna be good enough to tip me in the direction of buying a 3DS? Everything I've heard about it sounds great, and the mechanical depth sounds fantastic, but unless it really knocks it out of the park, I'm a little leery of dropping $200+. Is it really that stellar?
General opinion out of Japan is that it's the best Fire Emblem yet, or at least second or third best, and some of my friends in Japan love Fire Emblem so much that Best Fire Emblem = Their Favorite Game of All Time. That said, whether a really good Fire Emblem is worth 200 dollars is up to you.

EDIT: Also the pairing mechanics in this are probably better than FE4's because you can't screw yourself over by having Sety's dad be Arden. Yes game, I did want a mage with a 10% magic growth, thanks.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 20, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention it isn't like stats in the 40s is really new, FE4 had that late in the game just due to the ridiculous bonuses from holy weapons. I seriously doubt they'll ever let the stat creep get TOO out of hand. If any of the non-HP stats ever end up in the triple digits, then yeah, you'd have a problem, but just being ten or so points above the old standards doesn't ruin the game flow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shiny777 posted:

You can actually get triple digit non-HP stats here. It requires a bunch of stacking buffs and careful eugenics, but crazy poo poo like 111 Spd or like 106 Def or around 170 Atk and the like is totally achievable. Realistically only deep into the postgame, and only one character can hit the absolute craziest numbers, with mutually exclusive builds limiting them to only one of those, but. It is possible.
Well yeah, but I meant triple digit stats naked.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They should have just remade the FE1 commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-2kf1VKM1U

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roguelike posted:

Well, there's an official background (Spoilers? I guess?) of Marth without a mask on their website.
I think they just stopped caring, honestly.

Granted considering how feminine Marth is, I could very nearly believe that being his new look.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veev posted:

It's funny they were trumping up "You're actions have consequences!" when this is the first game where perma death is optional.
To be fair, the pairing thing does tie into that, since the children characters are influenced heavily by the parents.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Undead Unicorn posted:

The male parent doesn't matter at all though. They should have limited the MU Unit paring options so fathers supports could be unique.
They inherit skills and class options from the male parent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Francis posted:

And the most important thing of all: hair color.
No, the most important thing of all is the fact they can inherit good growths from Donny, which leads to things like Nn with a 98 Str growth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Oh man, I forgot all about that character. Is "Nn" the official localisation or is their name still "n_n" or whatever the gently caress?
I don't think we've seen the official localization for it yet. Though since she has some lines about how weird her name is I'd guess at Nn, or something equally bizarre.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If all else fails, female Avatar in this game has an eyepatch option. You can be Canas's pirate sister.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are the portraits listed on the Fire Emblem wiki all there are?

And can I change their hair color?
Not sure, and yes. You can mix and match options, you don't just have five portraits per character. That said the options are pretty limited and I don't think there's a monocle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Alright, cool. I'm sure I'll be able to whip up something acceptable.

Maybe he's older and started losing sight in his other eye if I can make him bespectacled.
He lost his monocle in the time hole.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think it's a face feature, so only that specific Female Small portrait can have an eyepatch. C'est la vie. I like most of the big female ones, actually.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I seriously never notice the feet and have never noticed the feet, even with people pointing them out to me. It's an art thing. The sprites in the GBA games didn't have fingers. Heck, the sprites in the SNES games didn't even have eyes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Honestly, every part of the anatomy is kind of hosed. They've got orangutan arms and hooves. poo poo is mad cray-cray.
It's stylized. They couldn't do big ol' character models like Radiant Dawn's that were nicely detailed, and Path of Radiance's were honestly kind of poo poo. They settled for simplified yet exaggerated models, overemphasizing the head (since that's most of the 'character' in the models, and helps distinguish them) and arms (since that's where the weapons are, as well as most of the motion).

It's not an anatomy class, jeez.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Calaveron posted:

You know, if they add a character from this game to the next Smash Bros, I hope they defy conventions and make it My Unit, just because it feels like they could give him/her a wider array of attacks, what with the swording and the magicking.
Chrom could work if they actually paid attention to the game's mechanics and the fact that he can be a Sniper, Cavalier, or Demon Fighter.

Falchion as his main weapon with bows, axes, magic, and lances as a back-up would be an actually interesting character. He could play a bit like Link, maybe, with the wide array of tools.

Of course that won't happen and we'll get another swordfighter, but hey.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually it's not bad art at all to use a specific style for a specific purpose but eh, going back and forth over this won't get anywhere.

Anyway I'm going to make My Unit a Dark Pegasus because it's a class concept I've been wanting since I first played the series.

v So uh, do you want to just pretend we went 'but feet' 'but style' 'but feet' 'but style' for another twenty posts and let the thread get back on-topic, or...?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying? Here's my point:

They couldn't do Radiant Dawn's models because of memory limitations. Memory Limitations are immaterial beyond this point.
They didn't want to do Path of Radiance's models, because they blew.
They used a highly stylized way of modeling the characters (including the lack of feet as part of the style, to under emphasize the legs)

That's the point in it's entirety. Feet would be like, one polygon, of course I don't think the lack of feet is a memory thing.

• Locked thread