Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

SpaceDrake posted:

I can legitimately not tell if this is sarcasm or not. :v:

(Man, they changed Krom to Chrom probably to avoid legal action from the Doyle estate, how the hell did Nintendo Legal think Grima would pass muster?)

Maybe because this name is only copyrighted in it's full form? But yeah, that's a pretty awesome change. Now waiting till April is going to be hard.

V This I kind of agree too. But on the other hand, this means my dream of fielding an all wyvern and pegasus knight army will come to fruition. Death from above! :black101:

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Canadian posted:

This will be my first Fire Emblem game because I was always turned off by stupid perma-death and now with the option to be rid of that, I am interested to play.

That said, I have a question: What exactly are the key differences between classes? From what I have seen there is no class specific abilities, you just walk beside dude and swing. If any given class can use the same weapon as another class, why should I pick one over the other? I assume mounted/flying classes move further and some stats might be different but other than that I am clueless.

Example that specifically I wonder about is that your My Unit class is good with swords and spells, but so is the dark knight class, why one over the other?

Stat caps. Different classes have different caps for various stats. Some are speedier, other hit harder. Also, the tactician only class starts out as a physical unit, with presumably higher strength and lower magic stats as well as caps, while the Dark Knight is a promotion from mage. Also, the Dark Knight is a mounted unit, which give certain benefits (move farther, can remove after acting), and drawback (severely handicapped movement on certain grounds, vulnerability certain weapons). Considering the importance of stats in that game, it's not a minor thing.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Momomo posted:

How is being an all around badass worse than being badass in one particular thing? I think if you need to be in a single class to have your character intact, you were already pretty terrible to begin with.

It's mostly a question of the unit's character being reflected in their class: Pent, the studious, erudite Magician General was a Sage. Karel, who lived to test his swordmanship against the most dangerous fos was a swordmaster. Asthol the spy was a thief.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Momomo posted:

Thing is though, Fire Emblem is generally pretty lax about character roles in the story. A band of assassins aren't entirely the Assassin class, Pirates are thieves even though they aren't the thief class, the General is only a name, etc. Just think of it as the character adapting to the situation, it's not as if they were never their original class.

I hear you. But certain characters only make sense in a certain class, or category of classes. And yes, the general's name always bugged me. I think Karla in FE7 poked fun at that, too.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

I think one important distinction to make about Awakening's class change system is that each character can only class change into a limited set of classes based on their personality. For example, one character's gimmick is that he has an incredible lack of presence. He can class change into a thief.

That's actually pretty nifty.
The next few months are going to be pretty rough until Awakening is released in Europe.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

That's usually in the realm of :filez:, so google might help you more than this board.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe that's for the demo? Anyway, as long as whathever you face is strong enough and the formulas stay readable, I don't really care.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

What can Thiefs do in that game, by the way? Is stealing weapons still a thing?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

So no stealing at all? That's quite a letdown. Preorder cancelled. :v:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Its kind of sad how Path of Radiance sold so poorly, its a great game. I guess the GC wasnt that popular either in Japan?

I think, but don't quote me on here, that it was at that time that consoles were declining while handhelds were becoming dominant. It might hve played a role.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Usual formula is, for hitting:
Skill*2+Luck+Weapon accuracy+support VS Terrain + Speed*2+Luck+ Support.
Crit is Skill/2+Weapon bonus+ Support - Luck of the foe.
Damage is might of the weapon + Either strength or Magic +Support vs Ennemy Defence or Magic Defence (AKA Resistance) + Support + Terrain.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Because what there is to cross over? It's the same thing already: swordfights, characters die a lot, dragons and incest.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

To be honest, it's not as if Fire Emblem didn't have some seriously hosed up situations itself, so it's not that far off.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Considering it's treated as very creepy in both of the times it appears, and not fetishised at all lilke you seem to imply, why is it more of a problem than depicting murder or torture, both things vidyagame have in spade?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

There is something I don't understand, though: Is it like in FE4, where there is a time gap between playing as parents and as children and the parents don't fight with their kids for whatever reason, or can both generation fight together? I'd prefer not to have the plot spoiled to me, though, I just would like to know how it works gameplay-wise.

V Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

VV Cheers.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 27, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, I have all the DLC. Here's my general opinion (ignoring the actual aesthetics of the characters and only caring about the gameplay value):
Roy - not worth it

B... but Dra... Drakengard Roy... :negative:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Terper posted:

Canada got it early.

I think I hate you. I really, really, really hate you. Why, NoE, why? :argh:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Curse the Britishs for robbing us of Canada and then losing it... Curse them all for they robbed us of this game:unsmigghh:. April is going to be a long, long wait. Speaking of which, does anyone know if the european cartridge will have multi languages? How is it usually for 3DS games?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Folt The Bolt posted:

Looking at some of the English Localizations:

Falaflame is Valflame.

Jerome is Gerome.

Okay, the others are fine, but isn't Fala a northern God if memories saves me right? But yeah, that's not a big problem if a reference from an unreleased game is gone. However, Gerome is ridiculous. I mean the name is Jérome, so why change it to make it more "fantasy name"?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Folt The Bolt posted:

From Serenes Forest:

Fala
- Völva [Vala]: (Norse) a priestess or shaman.

So Valflame works fine.

Gerome is in fact a real name. A French painter's surname was also Gérôme, and I suppose that's why he's named Gerome, to match Cherche.

Well, the first one doesn't really bug me and the new etymology is neat, but I still find rather weird to change a perfectly valid name. I wonder if they'll change it back for the french version, though, because while I know quite a few Jérome, I never met a Gérome. Oh well. Game's still balls.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Haven't played the game, but maybe that's the term for "Killed but plot critical, so just heavily injured and unable to take the field again".

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

A conspieracy you mean?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of breakable weapons, I wonder if that's one of the features on the chopping block in coming years. It feels sort of like weapon weight--it's been around forever and adds some amount of depth but ultimately isn't really essential and I probably wouldn't miss it if they removed it.

I really hope they don't. Having some measure of stocks to manage that's not just the healing potions you use every once in a while is what differentiate Fire Emblem from other SRPG series. Well, that and permadeath, which I hope they won't cut as well (though I'm fine with casual mode, per see, I just don't want them to start striping away iconic features and end up with Advance Wars in medieval time).

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Terper posted:

Europe will get this April 19th. We'll also get that FE bundle, but as an XL! Suck it.

:allears: Oh boy. Nearly make the wait worth it.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Francis posted:

In earlier games, high early growth would slam into low unpromoted caps, blessed units would still have exploitable weaknesses, and units with capped stats would at least be threatened by endgame enemies, but frankly Awakening resembles NIS shovelware more than Fire Emblem, so none of that is the case.

FE5 and 6 are not the rest of the franchise. FE4 didn't had anything ressemblance balance, whether in it's weapons or it's characters. FE7 was arguably one of the most balanced game. FE8 was Awakening 0.5. FE9 had Ike, among other asskickers. FE10 had a whole slew of badasses that were nearly invulnerables, save maybe for the final boss and a couple of bosses in the endgame.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

That's a tad too spoilery considering how recent the game is, methink. Would you mind black baring it?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

01011001 posted:

Ulster's doubly confusing because that's a place in Judgral, along with the other Irish provinces. Not really sure what they were thinking on that one.

Aren't all the name in the Thracian peninsula changed around? I think it's called Alster and noy Ulster.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

TheJukku posted:

So would you goons say any of the DLC are essentials?
There's a paragraphe about that in the OP.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, then the IA would prioritize killing child units above all. :v:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Lotish posted:

The only game I can think of where this isn't true is Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for the PSP. Archers can strike most of the map any round for free and gain points for special attacks/spells (some of which were crazy good) in the process, while wizards had to wait or burn items for points and had fixed range.

Not helped by the fact magic sucks all kind of asses in that game. But yeah, Archers are arguably the best class in the game.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Zephiel can very well die on his second turn. And he's definitely cold meat on turn 6, when the mercenary get to him, because, ontrary to the Fighter, he won't miss.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Would they really change the english translation, instead of just copy pasting it from the american one?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Judging by the character roster, there doesn't seem to be any change. I do think they'll change Long'qu's name for the french version, though because it litteraly sounds like "Long rear end" in french.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I do hope they leave the option to play it in english, though. Is it a common thing for 3ds games to have more than one language option?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

yellowcar posted:

I never said for a complete rehaul and rebuild of the game. I don't know where you guys are getting this from. Just saying comparatively, slightly modifying something couldn't be as time/resource consuming as rebuilding and restructuring from the ground up.

Ah, but is it "from the ground up" when you can scrounge up things from other games you made? Compare with IS, who had litteraly nothing of the sort and would actually had to start from the gound up.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Konig posted:

Hahaha, what an odd thing to cut out to save power!
"The frame rates drop a bit in 3D scenes, how can we save just a little bit more power?"
"CUT OFF ALL THEIR FEET!"
"BRILLIANT"

well, it suppresses one joint per leg, since you don't have to animate the foot moving to stay aligned with the ground. That's kind of a significant gain.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

So, Heroes of Yore 1: Ike, as an ally, decided to run circles around Micaiah, dodging a 83% hit and savaging her in return. :fuckoff: Then Lyn went and murdered my Avatar by 1% crit.

All is right in the world :allears:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

FE4 and 5.

Also, Can't Ride A Bus, do whatever you want on the first runthrough. It's only important to min/max like that for super-hard DLC that isn't even out yet.

FE5 was hard throughout, and FE4 quite easy all the way, though.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Gensuki posted:

The ones for the avatar are all the same, just changing the spouses name... It kind of sucks...
Yes, they should have gone and wrote an ending for every character the avatar can marry. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Bookmark is a one-use save, if you want to turn off the 3DS instead of just closing it.

• Locked thread