Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
All these responses make me want this game even more. I can't even get the demo because my stupid school's wifi isn't compatible with the 3DS. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

How fast do you level up compared to the rest of the games? It seems to me all of the really crazy reclass shenanigans won't come to fruition until the endgame, even with skirmishes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

We've got a class reel video for the English version with localized class names.

Highlights include:

Dracoknight -> Wyvern Rider

Gryphon Knight -> Gryphon Rider

Battle Monk/Cleric -> War Monk/Cleric

Dark Pegasus -> Dark Flier

Pretty much what you'd expect for the most part. "Dark Flier" is kinda iffy but you can get used to it. Though I'm surprised they didn't change Bow Knight to Ranger or Horseman or something.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Well, dammit. If this isn't an elaborate prank, I'm going to have to get a WiiU.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

01011001 posted:

Thracia isn't a bad game by most discerning standards, even if it did have a few dodgy design decisions.

So did FE6, FE8, and FE11. And none of those are strictly bad games either.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Does Astra work like PoR where all the attacks only consume 1 weapon use, or is it like RD where each hit consumes a use? I also heard that each hit of Astra can miss, is this true? Can each hit crit too?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

FE12 had a bunch of weird triggers honestly, like these Dracoknights on the third map who absolutely refuse to come off their mountain perch or move at all on normal/hard unless you dare to try to shop at the armory.

That is a hilariously dickish honey trap, and shows IntSys knows its player base all too well.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

3) Skills
Each parent will pass on their fifth slotted skill to their kid. This is decided as soon as you enter the sidequest that you recruit their respective kid from, so you have all the time in the world to grind up your skills before you start the mission**. The important note about this mechanic is that you can pass on skills that are normally tied to gender-specific to kids of the opposite gender. For example, women with access to Lightning Speed(!!) can pass on that skill to their sons, who normally would be unable to class change to pegasus knight and unlock it. This also applies to skills that are tied to special classes as well, (outside of DLC classes).

What if the parent has only 4 or less skills total? Does it go to the last active skill, or does not pass a skill at all?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

How big is the file size of this game? I'm planning on downloading it on the e-shop and I don't want to have to buy a new SD card. With all this talk of shipping delays I'm worried that I might not be able to play it at launch. :ohdear:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

8,577 blocks.

Oh good, I have more than enough space for it. Thanks. :)

yellowcar posted:

Purchases for the 3DS done in the eShop is linked to your specific 3DS. So if you were to say, break your 3DS beyond repair, those purchases are gone for good. So if/when Nintendo does the smart thing and updates the 3DS to use Nintendo Network accounts like the WiiU, I'm weary of buying digital copies of games from Nintendo if not for that little liability.

Couldn't you get around this by saving everything to the SD card and putting it into the new 3DS (assuming that the SD card isn't broken in the process)? Or does Nintendo have a "this wasn't originally from this 3DS gently caress your data" system going on?

e: You can as it turns out.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 29, 2013

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Now I know how European goons feel, drat you Canadians! :argh:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

Well, I could see promoting before 20, but exactly at level 10 is a bit much. Reclassing costs money, and if you don't plan to grind you might not have enough to make up for it on every character.

From what I've heard, they basically throw money at you in this game. So, on lower difficulties it's probably not much of an issue.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Lord Ephraim posted:

The eshop servers are going to be loving slammed at midnight. I just hope it survives long enough for me to download it. The game is roughly over 1 GB? If it goes by your typical internet speeds, it's just 35 minutes for me for me.

Doesn't the e-shop update at noon? That means even more people will be downloading. :ohdear:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Typhus733 posted:

So to make sure I don't get screwed over on this, I'd really like to pick this up ASAP but was going to trade some things in to make sure it wouldn't hit my wallet too hard. If I go the route of picking up an e-shop cash-card(s) at gamestop how much would I need to get exactly? $40? Or would that leave me needing to put in a bit extra to make up for tax/rounding/what have you?

You'd need $50 because the eshop only lets you add funds in intervals of $10/20/50/100.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Are you guys all posting from the East Coast? Because only the demo is showing up for me.

Edit: Nevermind it's available and downloading.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

My downloads already at like 50%. I'm surprised at how smoothly this is going. I half-expected Nintendo's servers to melt from the deluge of purchases.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't know why any of y'all are bothering to download tonight. The DL speed is bound to be so low that there's no way in hell it'll be done by the time I have to go to bed.

(I have a physical preorder as well, but even then I probably would have waited until tomorrow morning or something.)

Because it isn't slow? At all? I started the download like a half hour ago and it's 3/4 done. Unless you have to sleep right freaking now, it's not a problem.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Download complete! Let the resets begin! :unsmigghh:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

The music for random skirmish maps should not be this good.:stare:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Oh my god, I made the best decision by supporting Virion and Cherche. Their banter is the greatest thing. :allears:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Two questions:

1) Can Vengeance trigger when you're at full health?

2) Can Vengeance attacks crit? I know Sol attacks can.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

My Donnel just hit 44 Luck as a Bow Knight, and I pair him up with Lissa for an additional 6 Luck. So, he always activates Armsthrift.

Then I made a forged Glass Sword and Bow. :getin:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I really wish they fleshed out Walhart more. Dude is pure, undiluted, :black101:.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Where the hell is the Goddess Staff in Laurent's Paralogue? I know it's north of the Oasis but most of my units are there already and I can't find anything.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Any word on when the Spot Pass Paralogues will be released? When did they release them in the Japanese version?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I liked Morgan(F) and Inigo's support a lot. She was trolling him all the way up to and through the confession scene.

Virion/Cherche is also great, both in terms of character development, and in terms of how good their banter is.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Anyway, is anyone else disappointed that the DLC characters don't get their own models? They're all just variations on the Avatar model choices. Marth is the only one with an actual model, and it's kind of cheating in his case.

It is, but on the other hand it would have been absolutely insane to have custom models for every DLC character, recruitable or not.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

onemanlan posted:

So I have a few dumb questions for my newbie self:

Is there a way to tell how support units will interact during battle before you pair them up? I mean to say can you tell if the support unit will give a stat boost instead of attacking? Or is it random?
Is there a way to resupply/restock weapons or books you've forged? Is there any point to forging items early or should you wait until you get better items?
When trying to get a new class good with a new weapon they're able to use post-upgrade do you have to start with low level items like the bronze equipment then work your way up?
Is the easiest way to level up the cleric early on to heal constantly?
Is Fredorick a trap early on since he's already 2nd class? Should I be trying to funnel exp into other chars instead?

I'm loving the hell out of this game, but I can't help but feel I've screwed up already by reclassing some chars to 2nd profession rather quickly. Think I might restart and make a classic game. Casual is nice, but it can be too easy to sac a character for a turn in order to save some one else to win the mission. It feels like there are few repercussions beyond them losing out on exp for the rest of the battle.

1. All Pair-Ups give passive stat boosts, and when you attack you can see the chance to Dual Attack/Guard at the bottom of the box that contains all the fight inforamtion (hit/crit chance, damage etc.)

2. You can use a Hammerne staff to repair items, but otherwise if you break a forged item you'll have to re-forge another one. And no, on lower difficulties it's not strictly necessary to forge anything unless you want to give a unit a cool custom weapon.

3. Yes, unless you have an Arms Scroll on hand. Bronze Weapons are actually good forging candidates because they're cheap and help units not suck with new weapons.

4. Pretty much.

5. Yes, though he's still perfectly useable once you get the rest of your army up to par.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Oh lord the Gold Farming DLC. I could've gotten zilch out of it and it would still be worth it for the dialogue alone. :roflolmao:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I just recruited Gangrel, and honestly he kind of sucks balls. His base stats are pretty low for that point in the game, Anna is already a better Trickster in general, and while I could reclass him to Assassin then Dark Knight, he gains exp really slowly so it's not worth the grinding.

Plus, his chapter is kind of short and unmemorable. Not really good start with the Spotpass maps.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Overpower or use good tactics. Personally, I prefer the former.

Pretty much. Abuse Pair Up, prioritize targets, creep into enemy ranges, learn to hate Counter (:argh:), and you'll be good to go.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Artix74 posted:

So I know I want to have Lon'qu go through Assassin and end up as a Swordmaster (bullshit that they took away their crit bonus! :argh:), but I'm kind of tempted by the fact that Wyvern Rider comes with a free +2 Str right from the get-go. I'm leaning toward "not worth it" considering that it's already going to cost me two Second Seals to do this, but I do like sending him through a class with a better Strength growth than Thief/Myrmidon.

Or you could play Champions of Yore 3 and get the All Stats +2 manual.

Seriously, that thing makes like half of the lv. 1 base class skills obsolete.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

So do we have a rough guesstimate on when Alm's DLC is coming? Want dat loving Demon Fighter scroll.

At the rate we're going, probably in two weeks. Along with Walhart's :black101: SpotPass chapter.

That will be a good day.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I have a pair of Boots sitting in my convoy and, for once, I have NO idea who to use them on.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Serifina posted:

If you're planning to finish somebody as a General, that's probably the best choice. They do tend to be the slowest of the army, and let's face it - this game is filled with highly mobile characters, so the extra move would help them a lot.

Otherwise, put it on whoever. Donny for the hilarious choice - more movement for him to run around and wreck things with!

I am not using any Generals. Personally, I think they look kinda dumb in this game. And my Donny is a Bow Knight and is overkill enough already.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Lotish posted:

Snipers I can understand, but what's wrong with Griffin Riders? I'm pretty sure in addition to solid skills, they also lose the dragon-type weakness of wyvern riders/lords.

Yes, but they do gain a beast-type weakness. I don't know about you, but I've never seen enemies packing Wyrmslayers, but I have seen the occasional Beast Slayer.

Honestly, Wyvern/Griffon Rider thing boils down to personal preference. Both are mobile, hard-hitting, and have good skills. But Griffon Riders are faster and have more balanced caps, but lack weapon variety. While Wyvern Lords are tanky, have two weapons, are cooler (imo), but are third slowest class in the game.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Are there any videos of the Demon Fighter in action? I want to get a good look at how the class looks and move before wanting 100% to reclass into it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Is it actually possible to get Mire tomes, or is it enemy-only?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Dr. Glasscock posted:

So, I'm missing some stuff with this game. I can't figure out any other way to play it. I'm only on like Chapter 7 but I've done 2 Paralogues, a Xenologue and like 4 boxes (the ones that summon zombies). The boxes I did were on the Mission 4 map or earlier. I used a box on the Mission 5 area but I'm getting completely loving owned there so I abandoned the idea of that.

I'm paying attention to weapon types, enemy movement range, neighbor / pair-up bonuses, etc. In like every level the only way not to lose half my guys is to huddle up all my dudes and let the enemy come to me (if they do). I don't really have turns to move around the map or shuffle units around that much (like if there are multiple groups of guys). If a dude gets hit he generally will need to spend a turn healing or move the healer to him. I just feel like I'm boxed into this one specific turtle playstyle because if I do *ANYTHING* else I will lose somebody. Loners die. Do I just need to grind out some levels and gear or what?

Are you playing on Hard or Lunatic? On Normal you shouldn't be that fragile unless you're using REALLY underleveled units or squishies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Barbarian Vaike is probably the best choice, since Cordelia is better as a Dark Flier, and Chrom can hang out in the Lord class until he gets access to Great Knight.

• Locked thread