Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Can't wait for February to roll around. It's been way too long since we last got an FE over here, let alone a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

So on top of the localizations that have already been announced elsewhere, from picking up event tile weapons on a couple quick runs through the demo, it looks like Inverse is now Aversa and Celice is Seliph.

Also seems that either the NA version has messed with growths a bit or Serenes is just wrong. Went with the default +HP -Luck MU setup on one of those runs, which according to Serenes would give him a 95% HP growth, yet he got two levels in a row with +2 HP.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

theshim posted:

Chrom got a 1 for me and I wholeheartedly agreed with his "Well, that was underwhelming..."

Just beat the demo on Lunatic. Honestly my biggest worry with the higher difficulties lies simply in one question - how the hell am I supposed to get people experience? Chrom managed a couple levels, as did Lissa, and Frederick got one, but Avatar couldn't get much at all, and screw trying to level the other two doofi that roll in. This game's gonna be brutal on higher difficulties, isn't it? :(

Haven't managed to actually clear Ch1 on Lunatic yet, but I've gotten close, and haven't had any issues getting the Avatar levels. You end up with a bad build for him or something? Everyone else is pretty much screwed though as I understand, yeah. From what I hear, a Lunatic team ends up consisting of Chrom, Avatar, and whichever prepromotes (and/or kids) you've got who can survive a round or two, with any other slots filled by healbots or crybots because getting almost anyone else enough EXP to keep up long-term isn't really practical unless you abuse the grinding DLC.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Endorph posted:

Not to mention it isn't like stats in the 40s is really new, FE4 had that late in the game just due to the ridiculous bonuses from holy weapons. I seriously doubt they'll ever let the stat creep get TOO out of hand. If any of the non-HP stats ever end up in the triple digits, then yeah, you'd have a problem, but just being ten or so points above the old standards doesn't ruin the game flow.

You can actually get triple digit non-HP stats here. It requires a bunch of stacking buffs and careful eugenics, but crazy poo poo like 111 Spd or like 106 Def or around 170 Atk and the like is totally achievable. Realistically only deep into the postgame, and only one character can hit the absolute craziest numbers, with mutually exclusive builds limiting them to only one of those, but. It is possible.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

There are definitely no monocles anymore. And no headwear aside from a headband and a circlet attached to a specific hairstyle/face respectively. So no longer is it possible to end up with, say, Berserker MUs who are classy monocled gentlemen and also the pope.

Someone on Serenes went through and screenshotted all of the possible faces and hairstyles, for anyone who wants to see all the options. There are a couple details like scars on a few of them that don't show up too well in the images, though.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

It isn't. Sibling pairings in general aren't possible, their supports will just cap out at A.

Having cousins (or potentially an aunt/nephew or uncle/niece in a couple special cases) hook up is possible, though.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Yes. Each body type has a unique set of five faces and five hairstyles to mix and match.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Captain Oblivious posted:

Edit: If I reclass the MU out of Strategist, then back in, does he begin at level 1 again for Strategist or does he return to his old level? How does that work

Reclassing always starts you at level 1 in whatever class you switch to, it doesn't remember what level you were last time you were in that class. Though there are invisible internal levels it won't reset that'll keep him from gaining EXP like a completely fresh level 1 dude again. Those can only be reset by promoting with a Master Seal, if memory serves.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Edit: On that note, can you reclass into promoted classes? Like lets say I've reached Grandmaster once, can I reclass back into it or would I have to reclass back into Strategist to level all the way back to 20?

Depends on what level you do it at.

Unpromoted units, promoted units under 10, and special classes under 30 can only reclass to their unpromoted or special options. Promoted units over 10 and special classes at 30 can reclass directly to promoted classes as well. Promoted units at 20 and special classes at 30 can also use a seal to reset their level to 1 while staying in the same class.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Endorph posted:

Moving swiftly onwards, why can My Unit romance Anna? What about Jake? This is completely in contradiction with everything you have ever been, Anna.

It's a different Anna. There's some kinda massive interdimensional Nurse Joy/Officer Jenny situation going on there.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Mordecai posted:

Is there a non-spoiler source for these base stats? I tried looking on Wikia but they haven't invented spoiler tags there. Also for who can support, unless that's viewable ingame.

If I want to keep the Avatar versatile, what would be a good stat to neglect? Can I get by on just one of Skill or Luck?

The Awakening section of Serenes has all the supports and stat modifiers and such if you look around. Does have some spoilers for who can be recruited, though.

And from what I hear, +Spd -Luck, for total modifiers of -1 Str/Mag/Luck, +4 Spd and +2 Skl is considered the best combo for pure mixmaxing. -Skl is probably a worse option, since Skl has the activation rates for a bunch of useful offensive skills running off it, while Luck only has two skills, and the only one worth using outside very specialized builds can still get its activation rate into the low 80s naturally with a Luck penalty.

Pretty much anything but -Str or -Mag should leave the Avatar versatile enough to be solid in most any class, though, so if you're not going straight for Lunatic and/or a team of optimized demigods, it probably doesn't matter too much what flaw you pick.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

The base growths page under character growths has them.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

The Iron Rose posted:

Also, related, is there a generally accepted pairings list for the best results for children? Just out of curiosity, because I know FE4 has something similar.

Adding to what was said earlier, while growths don't vary much, stat modifiers can vary substantially depending on pairings, and there's inherited classes to consider, both of which are more important in the long run. So you can still screw over some of the kids pretty badly (at least by this game's standards) if you pick fathers that offer mostly bad/redundant classes or have highly mismatched mods.

Also, if they bring back the generation system in the future, I kinda hope they completely even out the numbers somehow. I put together a (mostly) complete blueprint for what I think is a decently optimized eugenics plan, and it annoys me that I've got three dudes left over. It was one thing in FE4 when a bunch of the fathers were varying degrees of terrible, but all of these guys have some pretty good stuff they could be passing down that's just going to waste.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Given the inheritance rules and example class swaps noted above, it's worth taking into consideration for god-teams that pairing Donnel, Gaius, and a male Avatar with some combination of Sully, Tharja and Nowi potentially gets you Lightning Speed on all but three kids (who are hosed out of it no matter what you do).

Because you can never have too much Lightning Speed.

Also, a couple things that weren't noted in the explanation. If either of the parents doesn't have five skills, they pass down whatever's in their next-highest filled slot. And there are, from what I've seen, contradictory reports on when the kid's skills are fixed. Some say entering the sidequest and leaving without actually starting it locks them in, others say it's not set in stone until you actually play the map. Third, special classes actually vary a bit in whether or not they can be passed down. Lord, Dancer, and (endgame character spoiler)Overlord can't be passed on, but male descendants of Donnel can inherit Villager, and you can score an extra Manakete or Taguel by pairing the Avatar with one.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

All sidequests can be put off as long as you want.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Infinite dragonstones are simultaneously one of the best and worst things IS has done in this game. On the one hand, dragons finally get to be useful for the entire game, which is pretty great. On the other, it means I have to try and weigh the merits of maximum dragons v.s. getting the most out of the Avatar's awesome Spd modifier, which is pretty easily the hardest decision left for my setup.

why must you force me to make this choice IS

there is no path that will not lead to regret

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Also Degel -> Kjelle. Which is I think the only one I outright dislike.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

theshim posted:

It's also annoying in that it means forgoing another Villager - should I pass down Good Growths in that case? And with a female Avatar, does this mean it's impossible to get all three of the above with Lightning Speed?

Then we get to Jerome. Is Jerome just flat-out screwed out of Lightning Speed? Same applies to Chambray and Loran.

I wouldn't fret too much about losing extra Villagers. The class itself is kinda poo poo, and Good Growths is its only really good skill. Most of his other good stuff is in the non-gender exclusive Merc tree, so unless you really want a daughter with Counter (or Strength Cry for a crybot, I guess), there's not much reason to have him pass anything but Good Growths.

And yeah, those three kids can never get Lightning Speed.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I don't think they do, no. Though there are a few spots in each clump that are unaffected, as I recall. Also, if you haven't already seen it happen, note that if an area with an unopened chest turns hazardous, you're screwed out of the contents, giving you another reason to rush.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

When do I start getting the ability to buy more Beaststones? Panne has gone on a murderous rampage and I'm running worrylingly low.

You get one as a drop in Chapter 10, and then after Chapter 12 you can freely buy both Beast and Dragonstones.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Similarly, Lucina and Morgan have basically the same conversations with all their possible siblings. Second gen family supports in general are where they decided to let themselves be lazy.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Neo_Crimson posted:

Where the hell is the Goddess Staff in Laurent's Paralogue? I know it's north of the Oasis but most of my units are there already and I can't find anything.

Two spaces down and one left from the boss after you've visited all the villages.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

You can still grab all their A supports after the S.

Which, in a fair few cases I've seen so far, results in a bunch of already-married characters flirting with/nursing obvious crushes on random other (probably also married) people and/or their in-laws. My quest for (something close enough to) completionism is slowly turning my file into some kind of medieval, eugenics-fueled soap opera.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Grinding up to 15 is only really necessary/particularly worthwhile for the three(/four with a female Avatar) sons who can inherit Galeforce anyway, and that only if you're mixmaxing. Otherwise, going straight for them as soon as you have anything at all to pass down and can clear the chapter is totally valid, since Galeforce is pretty much the only gender-exclusive skill that really stands out as amazing and the kids can just bounce through all the non-gender exclusive ones for skills at their leisure in the postgame.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Shlapintogan posted:

Your best bet would be to pair him up with someone he can support with, instead of with Frederick. Use reeking boxes in earlier areas to summon weaker Risen so he can stand a bit closer to even with them. You should shoot for level 20 villager, but 15 would be fine if you want Underdog. You could probably go lower if you get lucky with the RNG (which is very likely with Donnel), just make sure to not switch him to a Mercenary until most of his stats are capped, then make him a Hero at 20 to finish making him into a god.

...Why would you ever want to wait until 20 to switch him out of Villager? As far as I'm aware, there's really nothing really worthwhile to gain from staying in the class after he gets Underdog at 15, and there's a solid argument to be made for just doing it immediately at 10 because Underdog isn't that great a skill and the Villager class is just so absolutely godawful. Also, if you're hell-bent on keeping him in the class longer, for whatever reason, wouldn't the thing to do be to go to 30 and use a Second Seal then to jump straight to a promoted class? That's still a terrible idea, since it involves giving up Armsthrift and consigning him to 15 more levels of shittiness to save a Master Seal, but there's still more logic to it than shooting for 20.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Pollyanna posted:

That's funny, cause in that screenshot she's just saying "boner".

I've seen that shot before. She's saying the Avatar's name.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Oraculum Animi posted:

Are there any crappy classes? I'm looking and Dark Knight and Griffin Rider look underwhelming.

Aside from the already mentioned Sniper (and the obvious Villager), Dancer seems kinda bad for combat because of its low Str cap, though it does have Dance utility and its other stats are fine, so it depends on which you value more. And while it's possible I'm missing something, I can't really see any reason to ever stay in Trickster after grabbing Acrobat. The Mag cap is poor, the Str cap is awful, they're only a bit faster than average, and the only way they can actually use their higher stat for offense is with Levin Swords, which isn't that useful a gimmick (and one they aren't even really the best at anyway).

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

With a round of ultimate DLC eugenics talk being fairly recent, got to thinking I should maybe inquire about my setup before I spend too much more time grinding. Decided to go right for an optimized team of demigods on my first file, and I've already got all this assembled, but there are a few pairings I've had some second thoughts about. What I've got, with my reasoning:

Chrom/Olivia: Both classes Lucina wants, her best Str mod, and a couple decent skill options for Inigo.
Virion/Lissa: Solid Spd and Mag mods, Dark Knight access, a couple other options if wants to grab wyvern tree skills or run Bowfaire as an Assassin or something I guess.
Donnel/Sully: Galeforce, decent if unspecialized (except for Luck) mods, plenty of solid class options.
Ricken/Miriel: Crazy high Mag, otherwise decent mods all around, and Laurent already has all the good non-female exclusive magic classes so he doesn't much care about Ricken having nothing to contribute but Luna skill-wise.
Henry/Sumia: I already had most of her other options used elsewhere when I got around to Sumia, so she was basically stuck with Henry, but he gives her DM and Troub trees, a positive Mag mod, and doesn't cripple her speed, so she can play caster decently in her choice of basically any tome class.
Vaike/Maribelle: It is clearly Brady's destiny to axe dudes in the face for dragonjesus. Vaike gives him Axefaire and a (barely) positive Str mod to accomplish that. This one I know is pretty clearly suboptimal in purpose, but it's optimized for that, at least.
Frederick/Panne: Decent class options, makes Yarne strong and physically tanky as gently caress with access to both Pavise and Aegis on top of that, only downside is the Spd, really.
Lon'qu/Cordelia: Ridiculous Spd/Skl, decent Str, negligible penalties, and some decent class options on top of the amazing set she gets by default.
Avatar(+Spd -Luck)/Nowi: Maximum dragons, maximum Galeforce, maximum unlimited reclassing. They're relatively slow, but I figure they can either be pretty solid Manaketes or put those +5 Mag mods to use as extra-unkillable Sorcerors.
Gaius/Tharja: Galeforce, some other stuff. Figure Noire can be either a workable Assassin with her choice of 'Faires or a faster Tharja.
Gregor/Cherche: Second highest Str mod a non-Avatar fathered Gerome can get, better Def, superior class options.

Tweaks I've considered have been:
-Swapping Gaius and the Avatar to make Noire and Morgan speedy magic nukes and still make Nah a solid tank with Galeforce, a better Str mod, and still-serviceable numbers elsewhere.
-Sticking Libra in in place of Virion or Vaike, to provide a better Mag mod and Sorcerer access. As awesome as Sorcerers are, though, am kinda iffy about him providing basically nothing but the Dark Mage tree class-wise, though admittedly Virion at least doesn't offer too much in the way of worthwhile options, just options.
-Swapping Fred for either Stahl, or Vaike with Libra/Maribelle. Stahl would give generally weaker class options, I think, but he would have 2 more Spd. Vaike would make him even faster and have him hit like a truck, at the cost of losing Def and getting gently caress-all in class options. Not really sure if either's really worth much consideration, but the thought has at least crossed my mind.

So...yeah. For those of you who have done all the crazy ultimate stuff and dabbled more extensively in min-maxing than I have, how's it look? Should I be making some of those swaps (and/or other tweaks that haven't occurred to me) to truly maximize the power of the second gen, or am I close enough to optimal that even in the final DLC the differences aren't going to matter?

Also noting for reference that I didn't really bother going out of my way to pass down any non-Galeforce gender-exclusive skills, since the Troub, Barb and Fighter trees' skills struck me as largely unimpressive, so I don't have stuff like Rally Strength on Morgan/Nah for a Rallybot build or anything like that. Kinda figured I'd just cart in a couple DLC/Spotpass dudes to pull Rally duty/most anything else necessary that doesn't actually require ridiculous stats. Aside from the aforementioned Rallybot option and I guess maybe Axefaire if I have a daughter ending in a relevant class for some reason, are any of them actually worth caring about for optimized final builds?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Nakar posted:

Random thought: Have Henry pass Axefaire down to Cynthia, make her a Battle Cleric with a Bolt Axe. She has decent STR/MAG/DEF/RES and the classes to boost them, and the axe will give her +5 MAG. Alternately she can be a General for better physical tankiness and still exploit Axefaire.

...Huh. Hadn't really considered the Bolt Axe option. It's...kinda surprising how well it stacks up, at least in some quick number crunching, against running an actual magic class with forged B ranks or something. Still seems kinda gimmicky, but it looks relatively viable as gimmicks go.

Anatharon posted:

I'd pair the avatar with chrom, just because aside from Lucina and Morgan being stupendously powerful on their own, it makes them even crazier when paired up.

I considered going that route. It would give another Galeforce+Quick Slash combo, and I guess allow a less wasteful eugenics program by basically opening two new slots for dudes to get paired off, but losing Galeforce on one of the kids sat poorly with me even knowing the female Avatar makes up for the loss as far as pure amount of Galeforce is concerned. Is getting the combo on a fourth dude important enough to be worth screwing one of Kjelle/Nah/Noire out of Galeforce?

And what's a good way to fill the void there if so? I've heard Kellam!Nah as a common pairing, though I'm sorta iffy on the Spd penalty and some of the class options. Stahl or Vaike look a bit more appealing for her, I suppose. Or Donnel to pass the buck to someone else at the cost of dealing with that goddamn Spd penalty, but then all I can remember hearing as other good fathers for Noire would be like Henry or Ricken, which would involve a bunch of shuffling elsewhere, and...honestly I can't think of any notable alternate Kjelle options I've heard tossed around other than maybe Chrom, who's practically guaranteed to be taken elsewhere no matter which way I set it up...

...I think I need to play around with the tools at Serenes for a bit.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Dicking around in maximum stat calculator thing a bit and consulting the inheritance pages gets me this as possible tentative blueprint for a Female Avatar-based setup. About half the pairings are still totally intact from the last list since they aren't connected to the shuffling going on.

Chrom/Avatar: Two kids, all the classes, extra Quick Slash+Galeforce combo, etc., etc.
Virion or Stahl/Lissa: Stahl could make him sort of passable physically but relatively slow and with less in the way of magical options, while Virion is...basically the same logic as in the first blueprint. Would probably just stick with Virion, since unlike the other prospect for these two Owain might actually want to go magical in the end.
Donnel/Sully
Ricken/Miriel
Henry/Sumia
Libra/Maribelle
: Because he looks like he'd be a slightly better Sorceror than Owain and that's...basically all that matters for pairing off Libra with one of the healers.
Frederick/Panne
Lon'qu/Cordelia
Vaike/Nowi
: Slightly better class set than Kellam!Nah, makes up for the 3 Def loss by being less doubleable and hitting harder, can still run Pavise.
Gaius/Tharja
Stahl or Virion/Olivia
: Virion would make him a bit faster and give him Lifetaker and I guess the wyvern tree to play with. Meanwhile Stahl!Inigo would, compared to Chrom!Inigo, trade 3 Luck, 1 Spd, 1 Mag and Rightful King for 1 Str and 3 Def, which doesn't seem like too bad a swap, and classwise...they both pass him Cav and Archer and either way he dips for Luna and then violently ignores the Archer tree forever. Probably Stahl since Inigo seems better suited to staying physical.
Gregor/Cherche

And Kellam remains forever alone again because...well, really, looking through the options it seems to me that anyone who can soak his Spd penalty and have a positive mod left over would probably rather have the Spd, and anyone tanky enough to be a superwall can still be pretty great at that with a father that doesn't screw their Spd as much. Like about the best argument I can really think of to use him short of breeding a +11 Def Morgan or something would just be to not have to deal with loving Virion while setting up. I mean jesus IS, the dude is already stuck in the worst normal class in the game, making him start both slow as hell and kinda fragile on top of that is just pointlessly cruel.

That look closer to purely optimal than the earlier setup? Also, is +Mag or +Spd(paired with -Luck either way) better for Chrom/Avatar? Thinking Spd'd work better, since they can score a +6 that way, and while they might like a standout offensive stat I'm not sure if I'd finalize Lucina in a magic class, so it might be wasted on her (aside from getting...what, 2 extra damage from Ignis if she runs it? Eh.) unless I go Dark Knight with her or something, but that's all pure theory, dunno which one's more effective in practice.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Tae posted:

I'd just go Libra!Owain and Henry!Brady. Gives both access to Sorcerer since the mothers are terrible at STR bonus.

I'm teetering between giving Tharja Gaius over Ricken because while it's one less galeforce, Noire is going to be jacked up Sorcerer with +6 MAG and Tomefaire. Gaius then goes to Sumia for +6 SPD.

If I went Libra!Owain and Henry!Maribelle, though, who would father Cynthia? Within that setup, the Avatar is female, Chrom's taken by her, and Gaius needs to pass on Galeforce. Frederick's the only one who can really be moved from his current spot, but pairing him with Sumia would saddle Cynthia with the same meh-ish Spd mod as Fred!Yarne, except without the crazy Str/Def mods to make up for it. She'd only scrape +1 Str/Def, and she'd get a -1 Mag modifier to gently caress up that option too. Her only standout stat would be +5 Skl, and with only one offensive skill (Luna) to run off it. She would have both Pavise and Aegis, admittedly, but wouldn't exactly be an exceptional tank even running both of them as a General or something. She'd just be a worse Kjelle.

I'm thinking it'd be better to let Owain lose out on Sorc and content himself with being a decent Sage or DK than to gimp Cynthia (and to a lesser extent Yarne, since I'd have to give him Stahl and lose out on Fred's better class options. And then I'd have to go with Virion!Inigo as well, though that part wouldn't be so bad.) to give it to him.

KataraniSword posted:

A Female Avatar makes a pretty bitchin' Rallybot, too, being able to roll with the kids and getting every Rally skill except for Strength - and to be honest, between Spectrum and the DLC Rally, you're already getting +6 to all your stats, so why not just slap Defence, Resistance, and Speed on there to make for a defense-oriented rallybot?

Owain, for all his bluster, is pretty screwed - he starts in a physical class, and is shoehorned into having absolute garbage for Strength mods. Stahl is actually arguable instead of Virion, as his stats complement Lissa's nicely and leaves Owain with a setup that's entirely positive, though it's only +1s and +2s across the board. If you wanted to give Owain Levin Swords and Bolt Axes, Libra is actually a pretty good choice: his Mag growth dovetails Lissa's nicely, and while he still gets a -1 in his Strength cap (ugh Lissa why are you such a bad parent), all of his other caps are neutral or positive.

Maribelle and Henry give an great +Mag cap on Brady (not far behind the deathmonger that is Ricken/Miriel Laurent) and access to Sorcerer, which he desperately wants. Giving him to Sumia just for Axefaire seems kind of a waste, though it's really a choice between whether you want Brady or Cynthia to be usable. +6 SPD Gaius/Sumia is a good pairing however, though it's a waste of a Dark Rider slot that Noire, Kjelle, and Nah all really want. Nah doesn't mind, if she gets someone tanky as a father, but Kjelle really wants one of those Galeforces and Noire really has no tanky options short of Sorceror, which is only made even more broken with GF.

Sumia and Lissa are really horrible parents, as are Virion and Frederick. And yet, somehow, in every writeup I've managed, Sumia always seems to get paired up with Fred. Her choices are godawful, they really are.

Don't really see the appeal of making the Avatar (or their kids) Rallybots, honestly. It just kinda strikes me as the sort of job you ultimately hand off to some DLC/Spotpass guys who have nothing more useful to do than plod along alone and buff the pairs that actually do things.

Stahl!Owain's definitely a possibility, but I kinda figure that between Inigo probably wanting him a bit more than Owain, and the importance of trying to specialize, which Virion is a bit better for with higher Mag and Spd mods, Virion's probably the slightly better father in the end. Switching those two around is always an option, though. Giving him Libra instead is also possible, though he'd probably go Sorc instead of playing with magic weapons, and then I'd run Virion!Brady instead. As good as grabbing Sorc for both via Henry would be, I stand by not wanting to screw Cynthia just to make Owain/Brady better. Might be suboptimal on the individual level for whichever of the two loses out, but I'd prefer two good kids over a great one and a lovely one.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Tae posted:

My reasoning is that you're going to gimp out someone, and my set-up ends up with Noire as the Galeforce-less kid but in exchange gets a super-high MAG bonus to stay invincible as a Sorcerer.

I paired up Virion with Panne because let's face it, Yarne is going to be one of the lesser kids no matter what.

Doesn't your set up then also screw Laurent a bit, then, since it gives Ricken to Tharja and puts the other magic fathers elsewhere? Admittedly, he's one of the three who's kinda screwed a bit from the start anyway by lack of Galeforce, but...

Eh. I'm thinking our setups are just aiming for somewhat incompatible goals. You seem to be going for a few absolute gods at the expense of leaving some others gimped, and I'm trying for a full set of demigods at the cost of some of them being a little less murderous than they could have been if I screwed over someone else to get them a different father.

KataraniSword posted:

Libra!Owain is probably your best bet, given that Lissa's choices are a little stricter than Maribelle's. He gets the magic weapons as a Dark Knight or physical class, and access to Sorceror, and he doesn't really need anything more.

A Virion Brady has an extra point of Magic, Skill, and Res, as well as two extra points of Speed compared to a Stahl Brady, but he makes up for that with a whopping four point deficit in Defense. Virion Brady is pretty much stuck being a healbot and possibly a magic tank with that, but given the game's schitzophrenic "everyone charges at once" mentality, a character with one good defensive stat and one horrible one is every bit as dead as a character with no good defensive stats whatsoever.

So that'd be Libra!Owain, Virion!Brady, and Stahl!Inigo, then, since as horrible as Virion!Brady's Def is, all the other boosts balance it out well enough I think. That looks pretty workable. So if none of the other ten kids need parental adjustment to be sufficiently optimized, I guess I've got my overall blueprint and just need to decide whether to take Mag or Spd as the Avatar's asset (anyone have recommendations there, given the pairing?) and whether or not I hate myself enough to try doing it all on Lunatic this time.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Hmm. Suppose it's something to consider referencing down the line when I get to figuring out final skill sets. Although...wait. How did non-Spotpass Tiki and Nowi get Renewal? They've got the Mage tree, not the Priest tree.

And I suppose +Def is an option if I go Lunatic, but it seems kind of a poor long-term choice, since it doesn't boost Spd or anything offensive. In the shorter term, as long as I can squeak through the start with one of the other options I've got no qualms about just DLC grinding/Nosferatanking my way through the plot if necessary, aborted runs of it and FE12's Lunatic have killed any real interest in playing "fair" with these modes.

The more I think about it the more I'm starting to favor Mag for a good caster Morgan, with the option of having Lucina go Grandmaster or DK or something to get some decentish use out of it as well without throwing away the Falchion. ...Though given what happened with my first run, it is not at all impossible that upon thinking even further I'll just end up flip-flopping back and forth until I finally hand the future of my eugenics program over to a coin.

Again.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Pity you'd still only have just the two Falchions to juggle between them all.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

In addition to that one, they can also show up randomly from the villages in the Champions of Yore maps. Lost Bloodlines might have it too, but I haven't spent much time on that map and haven't personally seen it show up there. Not terribly reliable since basically everything in the game except legendary weapons and a handful of oddities like the Boots seems to be in the pool those draw from, but you're not completely screwed out of siege tome shenanigans if you miss the Chapter 21 ones.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Rookersh posted:

Honestly, there's a lot of creepy poo poo in this game. If you listen to Chrom during his Emmeryn talk, you learn that 10-11 years ago was when their parents died, and she had to take over. However Lissa was so young at the time that she can't remember anything about her parents ( AvatarxLissa C ). She also reveals to Donnel ( DonnelxLissa C ), that up until he joined, she was the youngest person in the army.

A little correction on that point. Pretty distinctly recall Chrom stating in one of the chapters -6, I think?- that their dad bit it 15 years ago. So 15's like the absolute bare minimum as of the start of the game if she was a newborn then, 16-17 or older if you assume she was around a few years before he died. Which in turn bumps up Ricken's minimum too. Doesn't necessarily help with Donnel beyond giving him a bit more room, since there's no indicator how wide their age gap's supposed to be, but at least it makes the other two a bit less creepy, right?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

freezerburn26 posted:

I am freaking out that I am going to make a wrong choice in character creation, is there a particular set of stats that are particularly better to go for to make better/worse?

+Mag or Spd/-Luck are generally considered the best for min-maxing, and there are advocates for +Def/-Luck on Lunatic to get some extra durability in-game, though it doesn't look that great for the postgame unless you're doing some specific eugenics shenanigans with it. If you're not on Lunatic and don't really care about optimizing your kids for postgame stuff, though, just do whatever and don't worry about it. Normal is, from what I hear, easy enough to get away with pretty much anything and even Hard isn't too bad if you know what you're doing.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Don't think so. They seem to have almost completely phased out non-"essential" keys in favor of assuming you'll always have someone handy who's dipped in Thief.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Tsurupettan posted:

This game. This game actually makes me want to read the text. It is going to be the end of me. I got it on my birthday on the 26th of Feb and already have 55 hours in it, none of which are leaving the game on idle. That's 5 hours a day on average. :shepicide: Why are you so addicting?

That's nothing. Hard mode file with 97 hours and Lunatic with 49, though I did get it on the actual release night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Mire is unforgeable, I'm pretty sure.

• Locked thread