Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

EGSunBro posted:

So, is spotpass essentially free DLC or what?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Francis posted:

There are at least some human armies with actual characterization and the Anime Politics one expects from Fire Emblem too, right?

A quick look through the portraits in the OP should answer that for you.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

If you're not playing on Lunatic or Insane, I think you should be able to get away with pretty much any amount of reclassing (including none at all) as long as you use the other features like pairing up and dual attack/defense. Your first gen characters will only have 4 skills instead of 5 and lower stats overall if you never reclass, but that's hardly going to cripple you. Seriously, dual support gives +10 hit, avoid, crit, and crit avoid at high levels of support plus extra attacks, pairing up gives pretty hefty stat boosts, etc etc. Since there are no AOE spells in Fire Emblem, clumping up your characters is going to be a pure benefit except in chapters where you have to do two things at once (which just means you'll have two smaller clumps).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Nickoten posted:

I don't think Fire Emblem should play like Final Fantasy Tactics, but I think having a mode where no one can permanently die ever kind of undermines a lot of what makes Fire Emblem hard in the first place.

I'm reasonably sure that Lunatic/Casual and Insane/Casual are still going to be fuckoff hard. For one thing, characters that drop miss out on XP and support growth, which weakens them in the long run and makes them more likely to die again. For another, each time a character drops, that weakens your overall performance because dual support relies on strength of numbers to get the best results. For a third, Chrom and the Avatar still cause game over when they die, I believe.

fount of knowledge posted:

So I know everyon plays differently, but as someone who won't be able to play the demo in the forseeable future but still plans on picking up the game, would it be good to make the first run on normal or hard?

The demo was really, really easy on Normal. Admittedly it's only the first two levels, but nothing did more than like 4 damage to anyone but the healer. I'll probably play on Hard.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 18, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Nickoten posted:

You can grind characters like in FE8 so a lot of that stuff regarding supports and opportunity cost doesn't apply. And talking about the difficulty of Lunatic and Insane is a bit disingenuous, in my opinion, because if we're talking about how to ease people into the idea of perma-death and get them to play with it in mind without feeling like they're held hostage by the game, then really we're going to be talking about their first playthrough or so. I'm sure those two modes will be really hard even in Casual mode, but I don't think they're that relevant to the discussion of how Fire Emblem communicates the way the game works to a new player.

Normal difficulty is seriously close your eyes and roll your face across the 3DS easy. It doesn't matter whether it's on Casual or Classic, there's not much difficulty there to cry about losing. This has been the case for most of the modern FE games; the lowest difficulty is not especially difficult with the exception of one or two chapters (Ike vs Black Knight, etc). And it's a little silly to complain about making the game too easy then say "but you can just grind everything up" to the counter-argument.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Nickoten posted:

I'm just saying that I think it's not really the most elegant solution to getting new players into Fire Emblem, because it removes an important component of the strategy behind the games.

That's fair enough, I guess. I can see where you're coming from, and I can agree that it's probably not the absolute best way to do it. It's very easy from a mechanics standpoint, though, and easy to implement. A more involved solution would probably be better, but it would also be more complex, which isn't always the best for newbie-friendliness. Dunno. Either way, we both agree that it's cool that the developers are willing to do things like this.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Nickoten posted:

Which game was it that introduced the resurrection staff, by the way? Was it one of the Super Famicom ones? I kinda wish they would have put that in the GBA games.

That would be Shadow Dragon. The original one. The Aum staff let you revive one character in the final chapter.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Eddain posted:

I guess they figured magic swords filled that role.

There are magic axes and lances in Awakening in addition to handaxes and javelins.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I hadn't thought about it til now, but does it work with staves?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

If it's 45 Luck exactly, you're going to need two skills. Less Skill Slot wasting with just Limit Breaker.

No, the hard-to-get one will do it. +10% to all skill activation rates. 90%+10%=100%. Unless it's multiplicative instead of additive (which would make it a lovely skill since most activation rates are going to be 20-30%), of course. Admittedly, Limit Breaker also makes the character hit harder, take less damage, etc, but it doesn't have as much effect on other skills since most are /2 instead of *2.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Veev posted:

It's funny they were trumping up "You're actions have consequences!" when this is the first game where perma death is optional.

Second. The second game where permanent death is optional.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Fairly easily, though it's worth remembering that magic works a bit differently in this game as opposed to the GBA games. The "magic wheel" is more or less gone; element is now more about weight and damage. There is basically no actual "holy" damage magic, and "dark" magic is largely about special effects like drains and poo poo.

You can definitely class change over to Dark Mage if you want to, though.

I believe Regy Rusty was referring to appearance rather than function. In FE12 you could come pretty close to Canas's portrait with MU customization.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The problem with that is the lack of feet actually draws attention to the legs, rather than decreasing the emphasis on them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

One other important difference between Normal and Hard is that on Hard, enemy reinforcements will move the same turn they arrive.

Ugh, really? I want to play Hard because Normal was actually kind of boring, but rear end in a top hat Reinforcements is a huge turnoff.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, at least a point in every stat, more than one in HP.

That still doesn't follow since Donnel+Nowi's kid has an average non-HP growth of 75% with Good Growths active. Not that 75% is anything to sneeze at, but it's hardly perfect levels every time.

Donnel's still a good pairing with her though since he's one of two dads that can give a daughter access to the Pegasus Knight class tree and thus the Lightning Speed skill.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It's possible they increased growth rates. We already know the Avatar's HP growth at least is increased since it's possible to get +2 HP levels in the demo if you take the HP blessing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ern Malley posted:

Growth rates this time are pretty nice. You can play around with the SF growth rate calculator to investigate.

:d:Please note: that page has every possible character and every possible class for each character in the drop-down menus, so it is very spoiler-laden. Take care in clicking:d:

Yes, I know. As noted, those growth rates are at least partially incorrect, as either the Avatar's base HP growth or the bonus from HP blessing have been increased in the NA release. It's quite possible growths have been tweaked across the board.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Okie dokes that is what I am gonna do then.

I picked +Skill -Resistance, hope that doesn't bite me in the rear end.

Your resistance growth will be bad (~20%) but everything else will be good to great and Skill is used in like every formula in this game (including Assassinate). This is the combo I eventually settled on for my own hard mode run.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Mordecai posted:

Anyone know if Chrom's +10% dual attack rate is referring to pair up, adjacency, or both?

Those both generate Dual Attacks, so it should be both. Dual Attack is any time the supporting character makes an attack.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

One S support per character, but that's the only limit.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I was told by my local GameStop that they won't even be selling the game til the 5th... "GameStop only sells new games on Sundays and Tuesdays". I don't believe him for a second but it basically means no early Fire Emblem for me. Oh well, wasn't expecting it til next week anyway.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/01/fire-emblem-awakening-review-3ds.html

This review is pretty amazing. I dunno, am I biased or is this just hating on the game for being a Fire Emblem game.

I stopped reading when the "journalist" cited Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 as a good game that other SRPGs should emulate.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I have to admit, Bleach x FE still makes more sense to me than SMT x FE. I still havn't gotten my head around just what that game is going to be.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Flame112 posted:

Can anyone explain the mechanics behind making kids for me? My only FE games have been the GBA ones, so I have no idea what's going on with regards to passing down skills or classes or whatever.

Children are produced when a pair of characters get to S-rank support (which is reserved specifically for marriages). The kid's name, base classes, and base stats are determined by the mother with the exception of the Avatar's and Chrom's kids (who are in addition to the usual child from the union). Kids inherit both of their parents' last-listed active skills (except for Chrom's kids who get specially-determined skills), all of their parents' non-gender-specific class options (and gender-specific ones get alternatives), and the sum of their parents' stat cap modifiers +1. They also get the dad's hair color.

If you want to min-max the eugenics, every mother who can have it should have Galeforce as their 5th skill, and the Avatar (if male), Gaius, and Donnel should be paired with the ladies who produce female offspring that do NOT have access to Pegasus Knight/Galeforce naturally (namely, Nowi, Tharja, and Sully). If you don't care about that, go with whatever, the kids are going to be pretty awesome regardless.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Luck's primary role is as crit defense. Which, while important, is not really a priority stat. I would just leave it alone, making it neither a priority nor deficient stat.

The problem with Luck as the hindrance is it also lowers your Strength AND Magic growths and caps. Not much (5% and -1 respectively) but it still hurts your offense in addition to your evasion, hit chance, and crit avoidance.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Skill is a big factor in the hit chance, crit chance, skill activation, and dual attack activation formulas. I'm planning to go +Skill, -Resistance with my Avatar. Resistance hinders Magic and Speed (neither of which is ideal), but Resistance itself is already the lowest growth on the Avatar and is generally speaking the easiest stat to ignore in the game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Incidentally, I just noticed something. There is precisely one (non-child) character in Awakening that has a base speed growth in their default class that is less than 50%. That one character is a Knight with a 45% growth. It's possible to get the Avatar lower if you select Speed as your hindrance, and you do need 1 more speed to double in this game, but drat.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

No one's positive but it does seem that the first print run is at least selling extremely well and is possibly sold out. Some stores say they'll have more than pre-orders, some say they don't even have enough to cover pre-orders.

Fortunately it'll be available day 1 on the eShop.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

DrManiac posted:

Wha.. how does this happen? Isn't this the main reason they give to convince you to give them your money in advance? :psyduck:

Presumably it happens because demand exceeded supply before they really knew what the supply would be. In other words, as an example, the store in Middleofnowhere, KS gets 10 preorders, but GameStop can only allocate 9 to them (or whatever numbers) because their total supply doesn't let them give every store a full allotment. That's just speculation, though, and again it's not confirmed that the first print run is sold out. It may well end up that every store gets extras and everyone's happy.

All I know is that if the store I preordered from sticks to their "new games only get released on Sundays and Tuesdays, period end of story" line, I'm going to cancel my order with them and just buy it at midnight Monday morning from the eShop. I'll use the credit elsewhere, like on Etrian Odyssey later this month.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zore posted:

Each combat skill (Sol, Luna, Astra, Vengeance, Ignis, Lethality and Aether) has a mutually exclusive activation on each attack, but the game rolls for them in order from most likely to proc to least likely. So with 30 Skill and, say, Sol and Astra you have a 30% chance of Procing Sol. If it doesn't proc then you roll your 15% chance to Proc Astra.

Serenes has the order the skills are rolled in somewhere in the Awakening section or forums.

It's the other way around, I think. Lowest activation rate is checked first, so basically Lethality -> Aether/Astra -> everything else.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

So if you get Sol, Luna, Astra, Lethality, and Aether on the same character, what would be the chance of activating *something*? I'm not good at maths.

Assuming 50 skill, you'd have a ~12% chance of activating Lethality. Of the 88% remaining, you'd have a 25% chance (22% of original 100) of activating Aether or Astra, 16.5% of the remaining 66% to activate the other, 24.75% of the remaining 49.5% to activate Sol or Luna, and 12.375% chance to activate the remaining skill. That leaves ~12.375% chance to not activate anything (actually a little smaller because I used 12% instead of 12.5% for Lethality).

It's actually possible to push the individual chance per skill really high. With Royal Weapon, Limit Breaker (so 60 skill), Sol, Luna, and Aether, you'd have a 94.6% chance to activate one of the three proc skills.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 2, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Are the chances for activating something rolled individually? If so, you'd calculate the chances of getting everything (by multiplying together all the probabilities) and subtract that from 1 to find the chance of getting something.

Yeah, that'd be the easy way to do it. Don't ask me why I did it the hard way :downs:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Roguelike posted:

Pretty sure this math is off.

When you check for 'at least one of something' the chance should be equal to the chance of it never happening multiplied together. For example, if you flip a coin three times, the chance that you will not get any heads is equal to the chance that you won't get a heads on the first coin (50%) times the chance on the second coin (50%) times the chance on the third coin (45% haha, it's a weighted coin!).

So the chance of not activating any skills should be equal to the chance of not activating lethality times the chance of not activating astra... and so on. Or, 88% * 78% * 83.5% * 75% * 88% ~= 37.5% chance not to activate any of your five skills.

You're missing something, namely that I'm showing the relative chance to proc rather than the absolute one (in other words, I say Aether has a 22% chance to proc, but that's because only 88% of attacks get past Lethality's check). Lethality has a 12.5% chance to proc with 50 skill, Astra and Aether have 25%, and Sol and Luna have 50%. 1 - (0.5 * 0.5 * 0.75 * 0.75 * 0.875) = 87.695% chance for one skill to activate. My math was fine aside from the fact that I abbreviated Lethality's proc chance for simplicity's sake.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

There's no cutoff.

Except for Chrom. He's got til Chapter 13 IIRC.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, my GameStop told me they absolutely were not getting it in tomorrow. gently caress that, I'll just download it tonight.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Got my download started. It didn't take long to drop to 1 bulb per transfer, though. This may take a while.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Levantine posted:

OH! Ok, I'm seeing that, at least at the bottom. It's not filling quickly, for certain but it does look dark orange down there. I figured that was just some weird shading or something.

The dropping ornaments/bulbs are a download speed indicator, and the dark orange fill on the box in the middle is a progress meter. Neither are very transparent in their meaning, except that my download is going to take a couple hours minimum at this rate.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

First level with Chrom: HP, Str, Luck, Res. OK, that's OK I guess.
First level with +Skill/-Res Avatar: HP, Skill, Speed, Res. I can take that.
First level with Lissa: HP, Str, Mag, Skill, Spd, Lck, Res. Oh, yes, yes I see how this game is going to go :black101:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm only playing on Hard, but holy poo poo Donnel with Kellam backing him up is a total loving beast once he gets a couple levels. I had a stupid-hard random Risen fight which was my 9 dudes vs about a dozen Pegasus Knights (half of which had short spears, the other half of which had iron and steel lances), a knight, and some sort of sword dude. There was absolutely nothing I could do to prevent everyone from dying ... except Donnel+Kellam, who took no damage from the short spears or iron lances and barely any from the steel lances and basically demolished the entire level by themselves. I think Donny ended up at half hp after about half a dozen rounds where I had only one active unit against 6 or so to start out with.

Fortunately I'm playing on Casual for this first time through. I still reset for "deaths" in story chapters, but I gave up resetting for these goddamn all-aggro all-flying Risen encounters. Love the experience, but drat they're hard on any unit with less than 15 or so defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I waited to reclass Donny until he hit 15 in Villager for his second skill, even though it's not all that hot. Donny gets absurd really, really fast though; I just promoted him at level 11 mercenary after reclassing from villager at 15 and he had 5 stats capped and can pretty much solo every level so far on his own. I'm sure low caps and limited class options will eventually prevent him from being a god unit in the lategame, but right now nothing can do anything to him (even mages, since I paired him with Nowi and she gives resistance when paired up).

• Locked thread