Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

RuBisCO posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT66kLCNx8U

First 20 minutes of the game, if anyone is inclined.

Oh my God! Gimle and Dark Tome Gimle are localized as Grima and Grima's Truth! The English localization is just amazing all around! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

I can legitimately not tell if this is sarcasm or not. :v:

(Man, they changed Krom to Chrom probably to avoid legal action from the Doyle estate, how the hell did Nintendo Legal think Grima would pass muster?)

Not joking. I genuinely love it! It just sounds so awesome!

Shiny777 posted:

So on top of the localizations that have already been announced elsewhere, from picking up event tile weapons on a couple quick runs through the demo, it looks like Inverse is now Aversa and Celice is Seliph.

Also seems that either the NA version has messed with growths a bit or Serenes is just wrong. Went with the default +HP -Luck MU setup on one of those runs, which according to Serenes would give him a 95% HP growth, yet he got two levels in a row with +2 HP.

I asked about it on Serenes Forest, and I got confirmation: The growth rates are changed in the NA version. The EU version will likely use the NA growths as well.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nakar posted:

Changed how?

You can't get +2 HP as a Strategist in the JP, even if you pick HP as best stat. This has changed in the NA version, so that means Avatar's HP growth was increased by at least 10%.

Francis posted:

As for the rest, well. I know Fire Emblem has always been anime as gently caress, but it had a kind of 80s throwback charm to it. This pandering moé bullshit can die in a fire.

Err, even if the artstyle's more unrealistic and anime than I can ever remember, I don't think it's pandering to the moe enthusiasts...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Francis posted:

I mean that I get a really skeevy vibe from the first-person 3DCG, especially when blushing is involved.

Also the random item pickups are crazy unbalanced and I wish they were disabled/normalized on Lunatic/Insane. When you get a brave weapon or a weapon with +50 acc/avoid in the prologue all challenge goes out the window.

I think you have to get the requisite weapon rank first before you can use the aforementioned brave or +50 acc/avoid weapons though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nakar posted:

In fact, Female Avatar has one of the lowest priorities with Chrom, so in the event of a support tie most of the other women he can marry will marry him instead.

As long as you don't intentionally seek him out with a female Avatar, it shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure whoever you do want paired with him has more support points.

If I remember correctly, only one woman among Chrom's potential wives has lower priority than Female Avatar.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Lotish posted:

Huh? Can you elaborate? I can see how weapons not losing uses can be great, but hilariously broken?

Nosferatu, Aversa's Darkness, or Ruin all day everyday!

Or legendary weapons if you want to.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

And with a certain skill, everyone who gets Armsthrift will be able to get it to 100% no degradation. Be afraid!

Edit: ^^^ Doh, beaten.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nakar posted:

There's actually another skill that could push it to 100% even with 45 Luck. It's less common though.

If it's 45 Luck exactly, you're going to need two skills. Less Skill Slot wasting with just Limit Breaker.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Terper posted:

Of course, poo poo like that can backfire if you're not careful. (DLC spoilers, I guess. Nothing big.)

That's the Exp Farming DLC, isn't it?

It was also hilarious to watch!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Some of the Spotpass units have skills or classes that a typical Avatar couldn't get otherwise. Tiki with her Manakete class for example, and I remember at least one male Spotpass Unit with Lightning Speed or Resistance Cry, both skills usually reserved for the ladies.

Same goes for the DLC Units, and they are also confirmed to have growth rates that can't be gotten with the Avatar in the main game. DLC Marth has a chance of getting +2 on his Luck with the Good Growths skill equipped which means that he has at least 85% Luck when not equipped with it. 85% Luck growth is impossible for the Avatar to get.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Terper posted:

Here's the same dude doing a Normal run with commentary (without) He knows what he's doing, and has played the Japanese version and compares the scripts.

A little warning for those who will watch the one with commentary: You may want to skip the parts where Olivia shows up, or when he puts the focus on her. Other than that, I wholeheartedly recommend watching his LP.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

It has Basilio and Flavia, who are rather less walking stereotype than Devdan/Danved. They're also supposed to be really cool I believe.

They're King and Queen of Ferox, are really badass, and rule over one badass nation (but one rules over the western portion while the other rules over the eastern portion, they're not married to each other).

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Man I started looking at the skills link in the OP again and suddenly I was planning out how I wanted to make a Female Avatar and turn her into a harbinger of flying magic destruction and how I could use Lightning Speed to score a kill and then use the second turn to Rainbow Cry buff the rest of my army. This game can't come out soon enough.

To pass the time, what Class/Skill combinations are people here looking to try with their Avatars? I think it'd be interesting to see how many go all Strength or all Magic, or who tries something more balanced.

As a fan of dark magic in the Fire Emblem series in general (mainly due to how weird the effects of it can be compared to other, more straightforward, magic), I'll be making mine a Sorcerer. A +Spd/-HP or Strength Sorcerer.

He will also have a brief career as a Demon Fighter because Axe + Tome for the win! :colbert:

Endorph posted:

Chrom could work if they actually paid attention to the game's mechanics and the fact that he can be a Sniper, Cavalier, or Demon Fighter.

Falchion as his main weapon with bows, axes, magic, and lances as a back-up would be an actually interesting character. He could play a bit like Link, maybe, with the wide array of tools.

Of course that won't happen and we'll get another swordfighter, but hey.

Access to almost every normal Fire Emblem series weapon (and if you discount Staff as a weapon, make that every normal weapon) = Potential awesome moveset!

But it will likely never happen, so another swordfighter it is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nakar posted:

Depends on difficulty. The final boss gets harder and harder to kill as difficulty scales up but isn't that hard on Normal.

However, it apparently takes a very specific breeding setup to one-shot them, so there's that!

That it does, mostly because the final boss has a skill that halves all damage against it and negates Counter & Lethality.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

That is awesome! Very awesome!

Gangrel

"Do not try to kill ALL the soldiers, my dear. We'll need a few for the welcoming party." I'm going to like this guy. :allears:

Captain Oblivious posted:

On an unrelated note, Walhart is a pretty solid localization. I imagine it's meant to evoke a German accent.

Walhart is one of the localized names that I really like, along with Grima!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Some guy just posted a video of Avatar and Sully S Support:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKJnWhHhB7s

Sully's Confession Scene... :allears:

I am definitely getting all S Supports now.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

Except that the special skills are ridiculous stuff like Luna or Vantage.

Not just any old Luna or Vantage. No, ALWAYS activating Luna or Vantage. Be afraid.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

EDIT2: I also found a character guide for FE5 that offered such roaring descriptions as "Shiva has black hair." "Mareeta has black hair." and gave characters scores like 8.1 and 7.8. Man, character guides on gamefaqs for these games are always kind of hilarious.

I remember early FE (Blazing Sword) character guides kissing the ground that Nino walked upon, and condemning Marcus to crap for all eternity.

Which makes the present Blazing Sword metagame incredibly hilarious!

That said, Nino left me with a bad taste regarding the "Est" archetype as a whole.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Everybody knows Children are the strongest people in anime land. Ergo by not allowing children you are objectively weaker.

Anime logic didn't hold up enough to warrant using Nino for me though.

Pent, however, is awesome!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Serenes Forest is up again. All of it.

And with it, we got some names for the children.

Wood is Owain.

Azure is Inigo. (:allears:)

Cynthia stays the same.

Brady stays the same.

Selena is Severa. (:allears:)

Noire stays the same.

Nn is Nah. (:allears:)

Treehouse owns with this localization!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I like Kjelle actually. It sounds kinda Scandinavian.

EDIT: Also, judging from an english support, they've made Nowi sound more mature. Expected.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 30, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

And Kjell means kettle, cauldron, or helmet.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Looking at some of the English Localizations:

Falaflame is Valflame.

Jerome is Gerome.

Loran is Laurent.

Chambray is Yarne.

Good Growths is Aptitude.

Magnificent Flame is Ignis.

Crimson Curse is Anathema.

Swanchika is Helswath. (:allears:)

Secluded Lady is Demoiselle.

Il is Waste.

So much greatness contained in one game... I'm actually somewhat jealous of you Americans now.

So I'm mostly trying to think of what my main team will be, once I get it. Chrom, Avatar, and Lucina will certainly be mainstays, and so will Morgan... and that's as far as I've got.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Okay, the others are fine, but isn't Fala a northern God if memories saves me right? But yeah, that's not a big problem if a reference from an unreleased game is gone. However, Gerome is ridiculous. I mean the name is Jérome, so why change it to make it more "fantasy name"?

From Serenes Forest:

Fala
- Völva [Vala]: (Norse) a priestess or shaman.

So Valflame works fine.

Gerome is in fact a real name. A French painter's surname was also Gérôme, and I suppose that's why he's named Gerome, to match Cherche.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

So.

As far as full-price packaged video game software is concerned.

Fire Emblem is now literally the #1 selling item on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-...&pf_rd_i=468642

Literally. #1. Everything ahead of it in the "all items" list is either point cards, a free MMO, said MMO's super-cheap precessor, or bundle deals.

It's outselling Dead Space 3 on preorders at this point.

:stare:

This is beyond "amazing" and into "I'm not really sure what to think anymore" territory. The Q4 sales report for Nintendo is going to be interesting, if nothing else.

I am so happy with this and I pray that Europe follows suit in sales trends!

Fire Emblem is hands down an amazing series, and I am so happy that Marth and Roy's inclusion in SSBM allowed me to discover it! Fire Emblem is my kind of Strategy RPG, period!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Mr. Trampoline posted:

"So, Intelligent Systems, how fast can you make a Fire Emblem 14?"

"For the Wii U?"

I'd like a Fire Emblem for the Wii U, hopefully next year or the year after that. Depends on when that Fire Emblem x SMT crossover is finished.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I hope that the Fire Emblem series will become one of Nintendo's system sellers, but I don't think it will happen.

Those of you who have Awakening right now, are there any characters who you don't recruit in the story that you like?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Gregor (and Laurent) is apparently voiced by George C. Cole, which I've heard is an alias for Paul St. Peter.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

They're counting the Akaneia Saga.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Since I'm already asking questions, anyone mind telling me how this whole SpotPass thing works? I've never used any Street/SpotPass functions for any other game before because my understanding on it is that you'd have to pass by other people who are also doing the same thing. I figured I'd never run into anybody doing that so it was a waste of time. Apparently SpotPass just connects to the internet while the 3DS is in sleep mode, yeah?

If there's already SpotPass content, should my 3DS just download it overnight if left in sleep mode? Does Fire Emblem need to be running for it to start downloading SpotPass content?

As long as you're connected to the internet or pass a person who've played the game, you can recruit certain old characters (if Spotpass) and other people's Avatars (if Streetpass). You can also get weapons and paralogues that allows you to recruit characters from the main story that you couldn't get otherwise.

And yes, it should be able to download overnight if you haven't gotten it yet, and it's in Sleep Mode (it can activate outside of Sleep Mode too, but never if you've turned the system off). You will need to have the game inserted, but otherwise, there should be no problems (the digital version will download Spotpass content every day as long as there's content).

Gah, I'm planning out my male Avatar, and I'm stuck on whether I should have +Speed/-HP or +Skill/-Strength (I've already decided on +Speed/-Strength for my female Avatar, who will be a Rallier for male Morgan). On one hand, +Speed/-HP ensures I won't get doubled by normal enemies, but +Skill/-Strength keeps my Magic as is, and gives me Skill and Defense. Either one allows me to have every stat except Strength at 40 or over as a Sorcerer (which will ensure 100% Vengeance and 50/51% Luna once I get Limit Breaker muahahahah!).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

The two Destiny tracks, Chaos ~ Fire, and Nemesis, are some of my favorites!

The boss theme for the Future of Despair DLC Chapters and the hilarious battle theme of the Beach DLC are also very high on my favorites list.

Edit: Also, I ~ Again.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Mikan posted:

Are there goofy character recruitment conditions I should have a guide for, or will it be pretty obvious? You know, don't kill enemy character X and talk to them with character Y after visiting every village but only after stepping on unmarked map spot three maps ago, that kind of thing.

Some of them can be a bit special though, like Severa has to talk to the enemy Villager in her Chapter, Miriel has to visit a village to recruit Laurent, and when the Spotpass Paralogues come out: Gangrel must be talked to three times by Chrom before he joins, Walhart must have fought Chrom to be able to join at the end of his paralogue, and Emmeryn as well as the NPC version of Aversa must survive the entirety of their paralogues.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hope I didn't pass over it but how long is this game? I feel like despite being totally awful I'm already almost done. I just killed The Mad King for reference. Hated killing the mission 10 guy though.

You're still not exactly halfway yet.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Edoraz posted:

Awesome things!

Sully. :allears:

Best FE! Best characters! Best comic! :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zurai posted:

Barbarian makes perfect sense for Henry personality-wise (he's bloodthirsty and loves hanging out with animals) and is actually a decent complement to dark magi as well. Barbarians get good speed growths and hp, which dark mages are usually lacking, and they get bonus crit. Henry with Hex, Anathema, Gamble, Wrath, and a Ruin tome (plus a supporting character, naturally) can get drat near 100% hit/crit rate. Thief is there because it makes more sense than Myrmidon as a way to get him to Assassin, which is similarly a good match for his personality.

I can't really defend Tharja's alternate classes, though. Neither really seem to fit her personality and neither really help her stats all that much (dark mages already get pretty decent defense), although I suppose one could make an argument for Patience to offset dark magic's pretty terrible accuracy.

Archer is likely there to offset Tharja's bad (mediocre?) skill growth (she has 40% as a Dark Mage or Sorcerer, reclassing brings it up to 55%)... and also because that's what Noire starts with. Dunno 'bout the Knight though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

Also

This. This is why Henry can reclass to Barbarian. Makes me wish Lethality still ran off crit.

Oh my God, that is beautiful! :allears:

Crit all day erryday!

Henry factors into some of my planned pairings for when I get the game as well.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Hey man, they're royalty. When you're royalty it's considered okay. :v:

In all seriousness, please tell me Chrom and his sister don't actually have an S-rank support. :gonk:

They can only go up to A Support, don't worry.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hahahahahaah! Old Hubba is hilarious! And Aversa from another world is making good on the claim that Aversa leads men to their ruin.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Terper posted:

Europe will get this April 19th. We'll also get that FE bundle, but as an XL! Suck it.

This is the best news! So worth the time I've been waiting (and still am) for this game... :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I just got the Dead King's Lament bonus map through SpotPass. Just thought you guys should know it's out.

Really? Would you mind telling me what actually happens in that map? And why Gangrel decides to join Chrom (or, alternatively, why Chrom decides to let Gangrel join his team)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hikarusa posted:

Basically, Chrom has decided that Emmeryn wouldn't want him to kill out of revenge, and besides, he doesn't have time for revenge. He's got a giant world destroying monster to kill, and he isn't afraid to recruit past enemies, even someone like Gangrel, if it helps him get it done. As for Gangrel, he works for a group of brigands now and is super depressed about things and basically just wants to get killed for real.

Ooh, interesting. Kinda sad too. The two year timeskip certainly hasn't treated Gangrel well. Then again, that might be what was needed.

• Locked thread