Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm probably going to get the bundle but oh god I don't know who's good and terrible and class growths trip me the gently caress up and bluh.

It will be hellish. And wonderful.

Also playing without savestates?

I might actually have to restart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I know I'm a bit late to the discussion about character death, but I personally think something decent might be to do a route split, and actually force you to divide forces. Have the player choose which people to take on which route, make one of them harder, one easier, et cetera et cetera.

And then out of the blue kill everyone on one of the two routes. No way to avoid it, no way to get the units back, but kill everyone on the hard route and be done with it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

You know, I don't really associate being a tomboy with this:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

E: I'm stupid nevermind.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

So okay, Awakening people

Lets say I have Cordelia as a waifu and I get her to learn Lightning Speed and My Unit learns Quick Slash from Demon Fighter. Can I pass those skills, one from each parent, onto the kid?

Question.

What the gently caress is a waifu?

Also, related, is there a generally accepted pairings list for the best results for children? Just out of curiosity, because I know FE4 has something similar.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Too bad the only Manakete Donny can be paired with is incredibly terrible and impossible to justify using ever.

And her daughter is just as insufferable.

Define incredibly terrible? Gameplay wise or annoying as poo poo wise?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Goddammit, I ordered from best buy, and it only has ground shipping. I'll see if my EB games has it, and then cancel appropriately if so.

In Toronto, for reference.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Fisher King posted:

The only "hack" on the file is a recolor patch that was only supposed to affect combat sprites. Interestingly, there was an issue with a previous version of the patch which was (somehow) causing high crit procs (but not high crit% in the display) and absurd changes to the base stats, all became much higher than normal. Vanessa for example capped speed at level 11. However, the patch was updated and a new file created so I thought the issue resolved. this is making me suspicious of all my units now...

edit:
This makes me feel better actually because Gerik was one of my favorite units when I played FE8 in an actual GBA cart, and I thought maybe I had hallucinated his awesomeness.

Which patch would this be? I'm unaware of it, and I somewhat pride myself on being up to date with most GBAFE Hacking stuff.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I ordered the bundle because I don't have a 3Ds from Best Buy and I haven't heard anything from them.

It'll get here when it gets here though. I just hope it's soon. It hasn't even shipped and I'm going to be pissed if it takes a week to get here.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So Best Buy hasn't sent me any shipping notifications, but literally while I was (and am) waiting for an agent to answer my call, the order status on the 3DS bundle changed from "Out of Stock" to "In Stock."

So. Promising?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So I've been listening to the OST - what's the difference between normal tracks and tracks with the ~fire label? Is it just that they're shorter? Because that's what they sound like to me.

Also kinda getting a FFTA vibe off of some of them.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Slate Action posted:

Has anyone who pre-ordered this game from Amazon gotten a shipping confirmation yet?

I haven't gotten a confirmation either, though I preordered the bundle best buy.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Awh yeah. The bundle from best buy finally shipped, and it's already at the post office awaiting delivery to my house once it's not 12:30 in the morning. I am beyond pleased with this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Artix74 posted:

Bastard! :argh: Hopefully this means the rest of the retailers will get their poo poo together tomorrow.

I'll try to contain posting every single detail about it, and I'm sure I'd never consider rubbing it in the faces of the poor fools who lack it. That would be awful, simply awful.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Aiight! Finally got the 3DS bundle in the mail and it looks spectacular!

Still haven't decided anything when it comes to pairings, but meh.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Who'd you order from?

Best Buy, of all people. Never ordered from them before, but it turned out alright.

Went with +skill/-defense for my avatar, because I'm not playing on Lunatic and I like having an Avatar that can do both physical and magical attacks.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

gently caress yoouuuuuuu :qq:

If it's any consolation, I didn't get the art book, despite it being listed. Which is unfortunate, but oh well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

God my Chrom has been getting the shittiest levelups.

He has 10/2/13/13/11/7/3 at level goddamn 12. I'm really happy there.

Besides that, I went +skl/-def, so I'm reclassing my avatar to something with defense for a while. Knight has lovely skills though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

lelandjs posted:

Holy crap Chapter 20 :cry:

I don't know how to get through this. I only managed to get through 19 because I ignored about four deaths (casual :toot:) but that poo poo obviously won't fly in Chapter 20.

I feel like I've messed up my training horribly somehow... I've been pairing up units since the game recommended that I start doing it and switching which unit is in front to try to keep things balanced. Is that a bad strategy? Should I have been making people fight on their own/next to each other (side note: 19 is actually the first time I let character deaths go without a reset except maybe a thief once or twice).

I wish this were Pokémon, I could just run around in the grass for an hour or two and then come back and whup Whitney's Wilhart's rear end.

I'd say train on Marth's DLC but you're a bit past the levels now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So I'm at chapter 16 and my Avatar is a level 2 Grandmaster. Which sounds fine, except when you consider that I took her through level 15 as both an assassin and a Dark Pegasus.

So yes, silencer+pass+lightning speed, to say nothing of the fact she's already hit her promoted magic and skill caps. Obviously she barely gains experience at all, but since I paired Chrom and my Avatar together, both Morgan and Lucina are absolutely incredible. And Morgan has galeforce, which has saved my rear end more times than I can count.

I think I might have overtrained her just a tad.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 8, 2013

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, and all the Plegian soldiers wanting to desert, Mad King be damned, on account of being inspired by Emm's sacrifice to strive for peace
Good stuff.

I'm just going to put it out there that I loathed her character. She seemed to be presented as flawless, which is never a good thing, and that scene would have been good were I not so annoyed at her in general.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So Cherche and Henry's support is adorable as gently caress. Well written too.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So my Morgan has literally maxed all of his (unpromoted) stats. He's working his way up through barbarian right now since I'm almost completely out of cash and despoil + royal weapon does wonders for your money supply.

But yeah. Seeing lots of empty levelups at the moment.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Arg, I'm going to get this game on Monday, but I still haven't figured out what couples I want to use. I have Cherche/Virion and Gaius/Panne based on support convos but I can't decide for the others and I know that Chrom/Henry are going with Sumia and Olivia but I don't know who to who yet

I did

Maribelle + Gregor
Olivia + Libra
Lissa + Virion
Sully+Gaius
Sumia + Frederick
Cordelia + Henry
Cherche + Stahl
Panne + Ricken
Miriel + Lon'qu
Tharja + Donny
Nowi + Kellam

Avatar and Chrom get to go with each other for maximum amounts of game breaking kids.

Also lightning speed for everyone!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

He's Olivia's son, and while he starts as a Mercenary he'll always inherit the Myrmidon option.

e: Right, whoops, he starts as a Mercenary. Haven't actually done his map yet, looked a little tough so I backed out.

His map is brutal. I'm playing on casual and I had to restart 4 times.

Seriously. The children's paralogues are easily harder than anything I've faced in the main game. Like, significantly. I like it a lot, mind you, but poo poo's difficult.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I just did Kjelle's Paralogue and I managed to do it with nobody dying. But jesus christ it took forever. Are all the kid Paralogues this hard?

Hah!

Hers was by far the easiest. Try Inigo's or, what was it, Cynthia's? There was one absolutely brutal one, but Inigo's is by far the worst to do without anyone dying. For me, at any rate, it took 4 or 5 resets, and I'm on casual so I don't reset if anyone but Chrom/MU dies.

I tried Severa's, it just wasn't happening. Still have Nah's and hers left to do, and then I'm done all the children's recruitment missions at 32 hours in and on chapter 18!

Also Gerome is kind of a shithead.

Fake Edit: Do we really need to spoiler the kids' names?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Veev posted:

I liked doing Yarne's and just not siding with either army. It's absolutely not worth it you get like an extra armor killing or beast killing weapon and that's it, but having so many units coming to kill you is pretty fun.

...drat I didn't even realize you could do that. Kinda disappointed I didn't now, and I imagine if you don't that might actually edge out Inigo's for most difficult.

Also I kinda trained Sully and flat out didn't train Gaius, so Kjelle was kinda fragile, but it was still pretty easy given that her starting class lets her shrug off the two bow users easily enough. That, and there were actual unpromoted enemies. Which was stunning.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

Well, you know, "the taguel must live" and all that.

Still trying to find a pairing for Nowi that doesn't leave me feeling like a pedophile by extension. I was thinking of Lon'qu because a manakate with Vantage sounds hilarious, but then he's playing house with her and :gonk:. Should've gone with Lon'qu and Tharja, but I'm going at it the other way with Gregor + Tharja > Armsthrift, Vantage, Vengance, Wrath, and Gamble on one super-sorcerer baby.

Kellem's support with Nowi is actually quite sweet, and I didn't object to it much at all.

Though really that's more Kellem being adorable as gently caress. Pity I didn't use him more.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Andronian posted:

So I know about the stat boosts that units get when paired up, the game makes that pretty clear. What I don't know is whether those stat boosts apply when it's just the two units in adjacent tiles supporting each other? I realize they have the dual strike chance in that situation but do they also get the stat bonuses?

I can confirm that they do not.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Zore posted:

I know that Lucina's support with her brothers is generic and mostly involves screwing around with the Falchion, and Morgan has a generic catch-all sibling support. Even generic supports are personalized to some extent though, and most are written well enough that it feels like a unique support until you encounter it on another character.

Edit:^^^ This is the first game Armsthrift has even existed in, and Mercenaries certainly wouldn't be useless without it. I doubt the skill system from this game is going to be brought back in the same way in future titles anuways, there's kind of a major issue when one class gets Armsthrift when another is getting Skill +2.

Or Galeforce when another is getting Support boost.

Heh. You think IntSys cares about 'balance'.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If you absolutely need a Second Seal right now, couldn't you just save-scum using those Rift Doors?

There's a list! http://www.serenesforest.net/fe13/shop_guest.html

Also holy poo poo. I went to the mall today to pick up some slutty t shirts and I got a ton of streetpass teams on my DS and can I just say thank GOD for lethality? My Avatar has 71 HP, 42 Strength, 40 Magic, 44 Skill, and 40 speed (and close to maxed everything else), and while no one else is quite up to her level, they're generally only 6-7 points off in offensive stats and 4-5 off in defensive.

And I've had to restart three times on casual facing this one streepass team. The guy has two avatars on his team, one's presumably streetpass, and both of htem have everything but defensive stats maxed. there's a few other peeps in there too, all child characters, and they're all close to their caps as well. The children all have poo poo weapons, thank god (the ones that deal one damage), but dealing with an effective 49 speed 40 strength Cynthia and a 58 atk Gerome (with a ladle!) is ridiculous.

Also forged levin swords + astra is a bitch.

Still going through it again, but this time bar my MU or Chrom dying I should be okay.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 14, 2013

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I was looking through the list of DLC, and one of them had an oddly familiar looking name...

I feel like I'm missing something here, but on the note of DLC, does anyone know when the next DLC map is supposed to unlock?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Sumia isn't at Dark Flier yet, and I'm coming up on the part where I recruit Lucina. Should I grind up to Galeforce first or is it not worth it?

It's a bitch to grind without DLC - up to you, but depending on the mother it may not be worth it. Since Sumia can reclass to dark flier herself, so can Lucina, so she can get it herself.

In other news, my entire team is filled with the kids now. I have Chrom, my MU, and that's about it honestly for first gen.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Is it weird that I almost think that Hard(or Lunatic)/Casual almost gives me more tactical options? Because I don't twist myself into insane contortions trying to keep everyone alive, which tends to result in usually only one or two ways through a given map, I find that I have more options. "Oh, Lissa, I need you to keep healing Chrom so he doesn't die, Miriel, go block that forged sliver-sword hero, would you? That's a girl."

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Jesus christ doing my first child paralogue the difficulty spike is sheer vertical. I mean it's doable but holy gently caress :psyduck:

I know, I really loved doing the paralogues - much more difficult than anything before.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah, be aware of two things. They are hugely variable in difficulty, Kjelle's and Owain's are cakewalks. Brady's is a nightmare. Also if you can beat the difficult ones the main story will be stupid easy for about 10 chapters.

I actually didn't find Brady's too bad, though I had enough units tough enough to block off the center. Lost a few of the villagers though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Really the only thing you lose is an angelic robe and some of those lovely 1 damage weapons. The angelic robe you get for one villager saved.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Christ, no one deserves Severa.

I dunno. Her and Kjelle seemed pretty cute.

At least for the C support at any rate.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

...Okay, maybe I'm just Bad At Fire Emblem, but is there legitimately any way to make Olivia usable in Classic mode short of babying the unholy hell out of her for the 10 Dancer levels (or 15 if I really want to pass on a worthless skill)? Given that the AI doesn't actually seem to exercise caution, well, ever, letting her even EXIST on a map without hiding behind someone else is asking for her to get one- or two-shotted.

Hell, I've had her die on the skirmish in the prologue stage. On Normal.

I somehow completely overlooked grinding her up on the marth DLC or a spotpass team with a cleric, so it took me a while but she ended up being one of my best adult characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Laurent is such a shiiiit. My god, every time he talks I just wish someone would punch him in the face.

• Locked thread