Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A few notes about the OP:

- Chrom is still referred to as Krom in a few places.
- The Holy Kingdom has been changed to Halidom.
- "Obviously not Marth" Okay, but who is Marth and why should we care? I know there's a lot of people for whom this will be their first FE, and a brief history lesson might be appriciated.
- Combat can be sped up, slowed down, freeze-framed, has 360 camera control, and a first-person mode. Worth mentioning, I think.
- It should be noted that your decision of Classic or Casual mode does not impact on your choice of difficulty mode; you can still play Casual Insane+.
- Also, the hardest difficulty is Insane, not Lunatic.

That's about it, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GOTY, all years. :gay:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Huh. Yeah, guess I'm wrong. It's Normal, Hard, Lunatic, and Insane, apperantly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT66kLCNx8U

First 20 minutes of the game, if anyone is inclined.

Holy moly, I just watched this video, and drat, this guy playing. He puts Lissa, with 7HP, right in front of the boss... and then scores a 5% critical with his Avatar and wins anyway. :psyduck: drat you Fire Emblem, you fickle beast.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Social Knights. :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Famitsu has compiled a list of the 100 most sold games in Japan 2012. Everyone's favorite Fire Emblem grabs place number 14, with 453,672 copies sold. Source.
Let's make sure we beat that. :black101:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well, of course not. It's gotta tease you, draw you in, entice you, so you'll buy the full version...

then slam its jaws down on you with a 10% hit 1% crit. :unsmigghh:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Eugh, I don't really like the way spoken versus text dialogue works in this. They basically just make a sound or say a word that sums up the entirety of what they're actually saying so it sounds pretty annoying. "Huh?" "Yeh!" "Explain." "What?!"

You can disable them, I've been told.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Alacron posted:

Oh man, I shouldn't have downloaded the demo, now I just want the game even more.

So apparently you can't use the pair up mechanic in the demo? Or is it like this in the full game, and you can't use it until later chapters? Guess I can't just drop Frederick onto other characters for hilarious stat boosts yet.

Also, first time through and Robin and Chrom both get near perfect levels every time.

Disable tutorials, and you can use Pair Up.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

^^ Sure they can. Just keep Frederick in the standby. He'll give Lissa a big, fat Def boost, even if he doesn't participate.

Levantine posted:

Yeah, that's what struck me too.

I know that stat talk is usually met with "That's Fire Emblem! :v:" but the growths really do feel huge in this game. I'm finished my fifth playthrough on Hard and the least anyone gained was 3 stats and I had more 6-7 stat ups than not. I haven't seen the +2 HP others have talked about and so far my best run for the MU was Mag good Res bad. I had some hilarious moments of Pair Up'ing Chrom and MU and watching them quad attack everything once they got up to 9 SPD, bosses included.

Fire Emblem: Awakening - We sacrificed our feet for the greater growths

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

General consensus seems to be that Normal is sort of like FE8 Hard.

Of course, they might have done some rebalancing and changed some growth rates, so we'll see.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

How did SGF actually record the 3ds footage? that's what I'm most curious about. I guess he got one of those dev kits that review sites have to allow recording?

http://www.3dscapture.com/

He has money to burn, basically.

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 18, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Louisgod posted:

Does anybody know if Awakening has side levels or towers you can choose at any time to fight in? I really enjoyed the inclusion of a multi-storied tower you can turn to instead of relying on chapters to level up your characters.

Well, there's DLC battles you can repeat as many times as you want (including free ones), fight other people's teams via Streetpass, and sometimes enemies will appear on the world map, and you can fight in a skirmish. There's nothing like the towers in FE8 though, but it's not entirely linear, no.

Lotish posted:

LPs of 3DS games are going to be an elite sort of crowd. Jeepers.

There's already a Serenes Forest guy who's doing an LP of the Japanese version. He also put up this video of the demo which is pretty funny. :v:

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 18, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Here's a Lunatic playthrough of the demo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

To just talk about how insanely stacked you can build your own team, here are some mechanics that I've spoiler'd in case no one cares:

Of course, poo poo like that can backfire if you're not careful. (DLC spoilers, I guess. Nothing big.)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I mean, I know what this means, but this just sounds hilarious out of context.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think my favorite part of the demo so far, is not so much the demo itself (because I can't play it), but scouting around the Internet and seeing all these "I've never played Fire Emblem before but the demo was really cool so it's day one for me!" posts. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsDy7QJ5uh8

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Soon, Lissa. Soon. :black101:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No. You can save anytime you want to in Casual, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lotish posted:

Is anyone else posting videos of the demo? That lunatic playthrough was a lot of fun to watch and I'm itching to see more.

Here's the same dude doing a Normal run with commentary (without) He knows what he's doing, and has played the Japanese version and compares the scripts.
Here's SA poster Supergreatfriend who has no idea what he's doing, also on Normal.
Here's just a generally high quality runthrough of the hard mode, no commentary.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This is life. This is death. This is the Fire Emblem Awakening TV Commercial:siren:WARNING SPOILERS REGARDING MARTH IN THERE WARNING:siren:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Or the Fire Emblem 7 commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM-s5C0dnZs

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:psyduck::stare::psyduck:

I really don't know what to expect from this. I really didn't expect anything like this at all.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Marth and Mara's Magical Adventure.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

So, if I'm reading this right, you can literally keep playing Awakening after finishing the main storyline? (Think Digimon World/FE8).

It kicks you back until before you beat the final chapter, apperantly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

Were any as hosed up as SENTIENT CHARIOT PENIS MONSTER? Because I don't think they were as hosed up as SENTIENT CHARIOT PENIS MONSTER.

For supports, they could go the tragic route. Mara is actually quite intelligent and wants to be friends, but everyone is afraid of it because OHMYGODWHATTHEHELLISTHAT. Except for Hector. Hector fears nothing, so he's Mara's only true friend.

There's also another reason, but you have to ask Eliwood for that. :nyoron:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Has there been any confirmation/deconfirmation that they'll bring the DLC of Japan-only characters (IE: Characters from 2, 4, 5, and 6, 12) over to America? There's not much/any dialogue, so it's not like translating would be a problem, and I don't see why they wouldn't, but I've seen companies make weirder decisions.

They've included the weapons and given the characters names, so it's pretty much confirmed. And seriously it made them five millers only in Japan I don't think they'll skip out on it.

Seriously people stop fretting about it, we're getting it. 100%.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cordelia, yeah, I guess I'll get used to that, especially since I'll always have her in my army and she and the Avatar will have a million beautiful babies together and

Terper fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 25, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Be sure to keep us posted about the fanfic!

You'll all have made several different ones by the time we filthy Europeans get it. :negative:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Fisher King posted:

Can you get more than one S support per character per playthrough, or would I have to play the game a billion times to see all the S rank supports? I only ask because I remember in FE7 (the only one I have a ton of experience with) you could only have one A support per character.

You could make a savefile where you're at A with every available marriage candidate, then S rank one of them, reload, then do that for all the characters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The only Manakate that hasn't had anime elf ears up to this point is Myrrh... and if you count the FE9/10 dragons, neither Kurth nor his dad have them. All the others do.

I find the designs aesthetically pleasing and consistent and that's all that matters to me.

Anyway! Here's a video with the special edition FE 3DS being showed off.

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 25, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Call me an elf ear expert.

Be sure to keep us posted about the essay. :anime:

I was going through the site again, and I noticed Donny refers to Chrom as "Your Majestyful". :allears:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

With all this talk of character designs I looked up some of the official artwork for FE1 and oh my god

If I didn't already have Doga/Draug I'd be all over this.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

According to Serenes Forest, the OST for the game will be out in a few months time, 27th March. It's not been officially confirmed, but it seems likely at this point. It will have 5 discs, 4 with all the music (92 tracks) and the fifth one will have the voices and other stuff.

In Japan, obviously.

Terper fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 26, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

But... that's the same thing. We can't explain something like that without giving plot spoilers. But if you REALLY HAVE to know: Parents and children fight side by side.

Anyway, Frederick and Chrom certainly does seem to have some... interesting support conversations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

I'm assuming you've played all the DLC? How are they? Would you say it's worth it to shell out for all of them?

Well, we don't actually know what they'll go for here, so I'd imagine that would be a bit hard to answer. I guess s/he could answer going by yen, but I don't think you should place too much emphasis on that, at least not yet.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Why in Anna's name would you ever want a silent protagonist when you don't have to?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Canada got it early.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm European too. It's not mine. :negative:

It seems Serenes has been brought to its knees by these news as well. The site's down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just got to actually listen to this and oh man that's definitely Jennifer Hale as Female 3. :allears:

• Locked thread