Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure I just found my nephew's next birthday present.

And every other present I ever need to get him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yare
Jan 9, 2008
Legend

mutata posted:

Your request has been relayed.

As a game developer myself, I understand that you probably can't talk about this -but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Will figures and sets be released in descending order of how well toys for the IP have historically monetized, or can some of us older-timers expect to see the occasional toy for say, The Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, The Great Mouse Detective, Mulan, and so forth?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yare posted:

As a game developer myself, I understand that you probably can't talk about this -but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Will figures and sets be released in descending order of how well toys for the IP have historically monetized, or can some of us older-timers expect to see the occasional toy for say, The Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, The Great Mouse Detective, Mulan, and so forth?

The most I can say (and this is not in anyway speaking officially) is that I personally haven't heard of that strategy and everyone I work with at Ava all have their favorite disney stuff and characters that they would love to see get more attention.

I don't dare say anything else if for no other reason that as an artist I'm not really privy to those types of meetings.

Yare
Jan 9, 2008
Legend

mutata posted:

The most I can say (and this is not in anyway speaking officially) is that I personally haven't heard of that strategy and everyone I work with at Ava all have their favorite disney stuff and characters that they would love to see get more attention.

I don't dare say anything else if for no other reason that as an artist I'm not really privy to those types of meetings.

Thanks for replying!

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
This is a pretty good toybox mode gameplay video: http://youtu.be/O7YfVzqNn88

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Re: the "on-disc DLC" factor mentioned earlier:

quote:

Any characters created for a Disney Infinity sequel will also be compatible with the previous games as well, Vignocchi assures.

"We'll not only be forwards-compatible but backwards-compatible as well," Vignocchi continued, "because we'll push a title update that features all the characters from Infinity 2 that can be applied to your Infinity 1 game. So then players from Infinity 2 can still interact with players from Infinity 1 inside of their Toy Box with that title update.

"So even if you own Infinity 1, you could buy an Infinity 2 character, [and] we would push all the animation data down the pipe into the Toy Box on Infinity 1."

So, that doesn't really seem to be the case-- even if this year's version of the game might contain data for the next year's worth of planned figurines, assured comparability with next year's "Gen 2" figures, on Gen 1's software, implies that buying those figures will unlock content that, barring massive foresight, probably won't be included in the game at launch.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So it seems this has been delayed until late August.

That's not bad if it can help tighten things up, right?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ex-disney-infinity/2300-7191/

Here's a Giant Bomb quick look of the game. I'm only posting it because it actually explains the game pretty well. One thing I see all over the place is people don't really know what the hell this game actually is other than "LOL TOYS GIVE US MONEY!" so hopefully this has more actual information.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That Giantbomb video is definitely worth a watch.

If Skylanders has one major weak point to the whole thing, it's that the games are just okay at best. With this, they're really trying to put something special together. Online collaborative level/game building in the Toybox, four player online co-op and two player local co-op, and look at how stylish everything looks. The toy aesthetic looks great in-game, especially with them using the joints the figures have in the same way the toys do.

Disney's onto something here- my only worry is that it might be a little too expensive. But if each of those new level/franchise "expansions" contains another 6-10 hours of gameplay, then I'm basically sold on the whole concept.

Hopefully they push some good franchises onto this. Incredibles is a great start. I like the idea of adding new items and weapons and vehicles and stuff to the game via the tokens that might not be worth doing a full 'game' worth of content for.

Also, they should let Ralph cross over into any other franchise. It's practically his special ability. :colbert:

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Here's one of those awkward fake interview-style videos. It makes the game look great, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39k-4tag3QA

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Really is a shame they're not trying to take advantage of their ownership of Marvel or Star Wars for this. I'd give all of my money to take part in a team up of the Incredible Hulk, Scrooge McDuck, and Tron to take down the Death Star. Maybe we could at least hope for cosmetic things like a Spider-Man suit or a Darth Vader mask.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The way they phrase it whenever someone asks them about Marvel or Lucasfilm properties is a pretty open "maybe eventually!", which makes it pretty obvious that they'll begin dipping into things like that, but only if this is a success with the Disney/Pixar stuff. I'm sure they'll want to release something like 'Disney Infinity 2: Avengers Assemble' or 'Star Wars Infinity' or whatever they want to call it, and make those have major marketing pushes unto themselves.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Fan art! It was posted on facebook.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know when it was announced, but they have a preorder bonus for this now. Seems to be at every retailer.

Preorder and get a launch figurine of your choice, plus a Power Disc Pack.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I don't know how many people care about the property as the movie isn't out yet, but they just announced the Lone Ranger playset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esurOhntXYk

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

mutata posted:

I don't know how many people care about the property as the movie isn't out yet, but they just announced the Lone Ranger playset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esurOhntXYk

Dear God, disney presents red dead redemption. This to me is shaping up to be amazing.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
This new trailer poking fun at video game clichés is pretty amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC5ptkg8DSk

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Wreck-It-Ralph & Vanellope has been all over gameplay footage and the Facebook site, but they haven't released them officially yet. I think they're probably going to be released without their own PlaySet.

Andrew_1985 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 1, 2013

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm feeling horrifically tempted to buy one of those sorcerer Mickey figures off eBay and this game isn't even out yet for another week or so.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So they're announced their next set of figurines to release

Wave 2
Wreck-It-Ralph, Vanellope Von Schweetz (Wreck-It-Ralph)
Sorcerer Mickey (Fantasia)
Rapunzel (Tangled)
Jack Skellington (Nightmare Before Christmas)
Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Jesse (Toy Story)
Phineas Flynn, Perry the Platapus (Phineas & Ferb)
Anna, Elsa (Frozen)

Only one new 'playset' was announced too - Toy Story in Space.

So keep an eye out for this - Comes out in 'Murica on the 18th and other regions on the 22nd.

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
Im 28 and will buy this no joke if they include talespin. It will be bought secretly on the internet with a fake name but I will play the poo poo out of it! :allears:

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Just letting anyone who gets it know that the PS3 version of this game is currently hosed. If your PS3 is connected to the internet when you complete the intro, the game will freeze and your save data will get corrupted. Then you will have to do the intro again, while your wailing children beg you to figure out what is wrong with their new toy.

Until it is patched, play the PS3 version offline and save yourself the stress.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
How sophisticated can the object linking logic get?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

hyphz posted:

How sophisticated can the object linking logic get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ8i_NtTGR4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7PzCRKvGV4

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Andrew_1985 posted:

So they're announced their next set of figurines to release

Wave 2
Wreck-It-Ralph, Vanellope Von Schweetz (Wreck-It-Ralph)
Sorcerer Mickey (Fantasia)
Rapunzel (Tangled)
Jack Skellington (Nightmare Before Christmas)
Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Jesse (Toy Story)
Phineas Flynn, Perry the Platapus (Phineas & Ferb)
Anna, Elsa (Frozen)

Only one new 'playset' was announced too - Toy Story in Space.

So keep an eye out for this - Comes out in 'Murica on the 18th and other regions on the 22nd.

It's still really weird looking to see Woody and Buzz the size of normal human characters.

Buzz looks like a dwarf though with those proportions. That and Bug Eyed Phineas just looks really really off.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
Does anyone know what leveling up your figures actually does? I can't tell. There's no trees or abilities like in sky landers that I can see.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

How are the actual game modes to play? I'm interested in hearing it from someone here who's played them. Is there some depth to them or are they just aimed at an entirely younger audience.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I feel like I should clarify that post. I know this is aimed at kids but if I picked up a controller and played the pirates of the Caribbean part of the game would I find it entertaining or is the game just mostly about collecting stuff out of game and maybe toy box mode?

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Where is my James Earl Jones Mufuesa character Disney :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011

SirDrone posted:

Where is my James Earl Jones Mufuesa character Disney :colbert:

Please, there's an obviously superior lion-based alternative.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So with characters that have no 'playset', like Vanellope or Sorcerer Mickey for example, are they just unable to be used in the 'main' game stuff and basically relegated to being toybox mode only?

Or is there some sort of non-franchise-specific storyline to play through as these 'independent' characters?

edit: Also, it says this is on PC in the OP but I can't find anything backing that up, is that info wrong?

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 19, 2013

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
The PC version comes out in October.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zip posted:

I feel like I should clarify that post. I know this is aimed at kids but if I picked up a controller and played the pirates of the Caribbean part of the game would I find it entertaining or is the game just mostly about collecting stuff out of game and maybe toy box mode?

The game would have to be several orders of magnitude beyond "amazing" for me to justify buying a full-priced game that's basically a delivery system for DLC that has the added expense of being embedded in dozens of pieces of plastic crap.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Kelp Plankton posted:

So with characters that have no 'playset', like Vanellope or Sorcerer Mickey for example, are they just unable to be used in the 'main' game stuff and basically relegated to being toybox mode only?

Or is there some sort of non-franchise-specific storyline to play through as these 'independent' characters?

edit: Also, it says this is on PC in the OP but I can't find anything backing that up, is that info wrong?

There could be a possibility they'll get a playset later down the track, depending on how well they sell. But I think for the time being, all you get is the Toybox and a heap of stuff to use there tied to the character.

Yep, a PC Version is coming in October, like Gann Jerrod said. https://infinity.disney.com/en-au/ways-to-play#home

Huntsekker posted:

Does anyone know what leveling up your figures actually does? I can't tell. There's no trees or abilities like in sky landers that I can see.

This isn't out in Australia yet, but it apparently unlocks more ToyBox stuff for you to use.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

Kelp Plankton posted:

They have smaller adventures for them to play through. Mater with out the Cars playset opens a smaller version of the Cars town to play in. Additionally, you can still level them up to 8 to get those sexy spin tokens for the toy box slot machine.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
I got this for my son(don't judge me!). He likes it. The figurines are great. Good detail. Look good. Their bases and the power tokens are nice quality clear plastic. The lights on the base do wonders for making it look impressive. The intro is slick and even got my wife excited about the game.
Controls are a little wonky with the Cars characters. I never quite end up where I expect. Overall the controls are fine. Combat is simple and straightforward. The gameplay feels quite like Lego Star Wars and the like. Breaking debris and bad guys to get the goodies inside.

The playsets are huge, IMO. 3 playsets for the base game. You can access almost everything except a couple doors and a handful of chests that require more or a specific character of that playset. I am hearing 4-6 hours. I am 2.5 hours in on the Pirates one. I am less than 50%. Characters reach the max level in about 3 hours it seems.
The toy box though. So cool. Even my three year old son got the basics. You can place pieces into the game world. Full buildings, ramps, terrain, decorations, objects, people. You could build a small city or castle in it. I built Scrooge mcDuck's vault last night. My son won't know what the hell it is. I was smiling. I even got to do a jump into the sea of coins(solid surface).
The starting area has some floating islands nearby. Build up terrain to reach them to get sparks for character levels and some more parts/spins to use.
Spin tokens, earned from character levels and just finding them in the world, let you spin a 4x4 slot machine. You win one of sixteen items and you are free to reshuffle. You can binge on it I score all the key items you want from it by just not reshuffling.
Toy box pieces are impressive. Caverns, towers, castle chunks, buildings, floating land masses, unique race track parts. These are in addition to the basic pieces you get as sets from exploring the toy box and playing in playsets.

It is expensive though. The Disney premium is present for this on the already high price of this type of game. We have four playsets and six figurines. It cost over 100 bucks even when we got one figure for free with the preorder. He likes it though. It is a new type of movement and gameplay. It is something we can share which doesn't involve trying to injure me or him. I am sure we'll play it together more.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Songbearer posted:

Oh lord Phineas looks terrifying :stare:

That's exactly what what I was going to post. He looks like his eyeballs are about to explode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Agoat posted:

I'm so hype for Skylanders with characters I actually care about.

Edit: I really hope Perry the Platypus is overpowered.

I hope he stays true to form and doesn't do much.
edit: whoa, did not realize this thread was created 8 months ago...

The Moon Monster posted:

That's exactly what what I was going to post. He looks like his eyeballs are about to explode.

Those characters are pretty much all abominations in non-2D space. Look up some pictures of the live action musical for some real horrors.

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 19, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Machismo posted:

It is expensive though. The Disney premium is present for this on the already high price of this type of game. We have four playsets and six figurines. It cost over 100 bucks even when we got one figure for free with the preorder. He likes it though. It is a new type of movement and gameplay. It is something we can share which doesn't involve trying to injure me or him. I am sure we'll play it together more.

The way I'm looking at it is this buy-in lets me never have to think about what to buy my nephew again. Birthday? Christmas? Disney Infinity figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011
The website says the PC version is for Disney Infinity: Toy Box. Whether that means a full starter set will be available, or merely a design suite where one can create content to be shared, I'm not seeing official word.

I guess if a PC version comes out down the line, I can pawn off the 360 version to someone. My daughter and I will have to dust off the console and level up plastic toys in the meantime.

Machismo posted:

The toy box though. So cool. Even my three year old son got the basics. You can place pieces into the game world. Full buildings, ramps, terrain, decorations, objects, people. You could build a small city or castle in it. I built Scrooge mcDuck's vault last night. My son won't know what the hell it is. I was smiling. I even got to do a jump into the sea of coins(solid surface).

How does your son handle other games? When we play (only as a reward for good weeks), my little girl is surprisingly capable at games. She's the same age, so I'm just trying to get a feel before my copy arrives.

Enjoy playing together!

• Locked thread