Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

chemosh6969 posted:

That's what it sounded like to me.

For anyone that actually bought this for their kids to play, what age range feels like this is the minimum for?

My daughter is three-and-a-half, and we mucked about in the default Toy Box level. She drove around in the buggy (poorly, including several times off the edge, which elicited laughter). She also beat up some random baddies (but struggled with the archers), ran around the castle (requiring help to climb everything but the vines), and generally poked about.

She seemed disappointed by the pop-up sensors featuring a character, that require the player to trigger them with said character. Mostly because the ones in our game were for avatars we don't own: Mickey Mouse, Rapunzel, and Wreck-It Ralph.

I don't think she'll be able to handle the main gameplay, but we will give it a shot soon. Our copy only arrived on Friday, then we went away for the weekend, so perhaps our small sample size features plenty of noise.

At worst case, she was having a blast with the Toy Box, the random spins, and suggesting things for me to build. The best thing is I can -- and will, sadly -- build things like a brain-dead orangutan, and she'll still be pleased. I can't wait to download the cool levels/things/whatever-the-heck that others create.

Sorry, I rambled for a bit.

edit: What I'm trying to say is that a bunch of folks here have said everything from 3-8, so if your kid likes Disney and are familiar with how a controller works, they'll probably have fun. Otherwise, they're at least going to enjoy what they're seeing on-screen, and can point out enemies, items, etc.

hojusimpson fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

5er posted:

Characters claimed by another profile appear as 'guests' in other profiles and won't unlock anything like a presence in Hall of Heroes. If you change ownership it wipes level data, unlike Skylanders where it's preserved. Pretty callous poo poo.

What also is seeming callous to me is that anything resembling actual game content is on those expansion pack things. Unless you give a huge gently caress about toybox mode, all it seems you buy with the base pack is a gutted engine that you have to buy the actual game for.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. The expansion packs are just single playsets whereas the starter pack comes with 3 playsets already. Also, yes, if the Toybox doesn't appeal to you at all, then this most likely isn't the game for you.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

5er posted:

What also is seeming callous to me is that anything resembling actual game content is on those expansion pack things. Unless you give a huge gently caress about toybox mode, all it seems you buy with the base pack is a gutted engine that you have to buy the actual game for.

Um. Place the transparent cube object that came with the base game onto the infinity base. It unlocks the three core playsets.

Have you really just been using the Toy Box this whole time?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

No, just those three pack-in playsets I estimate are going to afford about 15 hours of gameplay, which is pretty skimpy for the steep inaugural price tag, I felt.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

5er posted:

No, just those three pack-in playsets I estimate are going to afford about 15 hours of gameplay, which is pretty skimpy for the steep inaugural price tag, I felt.

If you did every side quest in each of the 3 starter worlds, Im guessing its about 6-7hrs each. So that could be about 20 hours of gameplay plus an entire open world builder.

Is $75 steep for that ? Maybe, but remember you are also getting 3 action figure toys that would probably retail $5-8 each on a standalone basis.

Will Disney Infinity be cheap? No, not at all. But I think the value proposition for a creative person is high.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samara posted:

If you did every side quest in each of the 3 starter worlds, Im guessing its about 6-7hrs each. So that could be about 20 hours of gameplay plus an entire open world builder.

Is $75 steep for that ? Maybe, but remember you are also getting 3 action figure toys that would probably retail $5-8 each on a standalone basis.

Will Disney Infinity be cheap? No, not at all. But I think the value proposition for a creative person is high.

Where I completely agree with you is the benefit for creative folks. I know my son's going to validate the price alone with how much fun he's already had in the world building mode. I'm just starting to get ideas of my own... which leads me to a question I've got. Do the half-pipe / quarter-pipe pieces for car mode tricks have any rounded options that work well with the car track corners? I'm trying to figure out a reasonable, fun 'safety rail for corners on a floating track.

The real screwjob is those power disks though, 5 bucks for two of them, ugh. And there's so many of them, and they expect the customers to enjoy the 'mystery' of not being sure what comes in a bag.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Make some friends and start swapping them.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

5er posted:

Do the half-pipe / quarter-pipe pieces for car mode tricks have any rounded options that work well with the car track corners? I'm trying to figure out a reasonable, fun 'safety rail for corners on a floating track.

There are actual guard-rails that fit the curves of the track pieces perfectly.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

hojusimpson posted:

My daughter is three-and-a-half, and we mucked about in the default Toy Box level. She drove around in the buggy (poorly, including several times off the edge, which elicited laughter). She also beat up some random baddies (but struggled with the archers), ran around the castle (requiring help to climb everything but the vines), and generally poked about.

She seemed disappointed by the pop-up sensors featuring a character, that require the player to trigger them with said character. Mostly because the ones in our game were for avatars we don't own: Mickey Mouse, Rapunzel, and Wreck-It Ralph.

I don't think she'll be able to handle the main gameplay, but we will give it a shot soon. Our copy only arrived on Friday, then we went away for the weekend, so perhaps our small sample size features plenty of noise.

At worst case, she was having a blast with the Toy Box, the random spins, and suggesting things for me to build. The best thing is I can -- and will, sadly -- build things like a brain-dead orangutan, and she'll still be pleased. I can't wait to download the cool levels/things/whatever-the-heck that others create.

Sorry, I rambled for a bit.

edit: What I'm trying to say is that a bunch of folks here have said everything from 3-8, so if your kid likes Disney and are familiar with how a controller works, they'll probably have fun. Otherwise, they're at least going to enjoy what they're seeing on-screen, and can point out enemies, items, etc.

The rambling is extremely useful. That's where all the details are.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

5er posted:

Characters claimed by another profile appear as 'guests' in other profiles and won't unlock anything like a presence in Hall of Heroes. If you change ownership it wipes level data, unlike Skylanders where it's preserved. Pretty callous poo poo.
Not according to Chad Liddell, one of the developers:

quote:

Ownership is one of those things that is overly complicated because of various hardware requirements. Basically it is how we ensure experience gained on a figure is given to only one profile at a time. The only time it comes into play is if you take your figure and play with someone else on a different profile. For example, if you take it to a friend’s house and want the experience you gain while you play to go towards your game at home, you leave it as guest. Then when you take it home it will detect that you played away from your profile and award the experience, (and spins,) to you. If you want your friend to get the experience she can take ownership, the figure will reset on her account to level 0, and any experience you earn will be applied to her profile. When you get home it detects that you played on someone else’s profile and you don’t earn experience on your profile. It actually allows siblings to be able to all level independently without having to buy additional figures. The only thing I could think of that might be worrisome is if you buy a used character make sure you take ownership or the experience will never be awarded!
So it sounds like taking ownership just lets multiple people track progress independently using the same figure. If that's the case, that is the opposite of callous.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

So is there any way to reset the level on your character?

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
Speaking of levels, I hit a wall on most of my figures around 7, and started looking for the least grindy way to push them up to 15.

So far the fastest and funnest method seems to be the Castles & Catapults adventure. You get 200 Sparks for getting the Gold trophy - about 30 seconds of hunting randomly placed targets. If you're feeling exploity or have a buddy to make it competitive, you can also start it in two player mode - the time limit goes away, but you still get 200 sparks for a gold trophy, plus 100 for placing first... and the second player still gets some sparks too.

On my way to that "3 characters at level 15" trophy - this will be the first PS3 game I get Platinum on.

Bubba77
Jan 10, 2010

omnibobb posted:

I play it with my 3.5 year old. He runs in circles and into walls and acts like he's controlling my character. It's pretty rad.

Pretty much same experience here. She figured out the scare button in monsters u and finds that hilarious. She loves playing with the actual figures as well.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bionic posted:

So it sounds like taking ownership just lets multiple people track progress independently using the same figure. If that's the case, that is the opposite of callous.

Alright that's not that bad. But what about 'Hall of Heroes'? I don't think 'guests' show up there, and that will rub against if siblings on separate profiles are completionists.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
If you have ownership of a toy and get it to level 1, it shows up in your Hall of Heroes. All the original owner loses out on for taking ownership of the toy for that session is the experience earned in that session. I'm not quite sure what that has to do with completionism.

Diosamblet posted:

So far the fastest and funnest method seems to be...
In my three times doing that one, the balls were in the same location each time. Is it really random and I just lucked out?

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
Does a version of the base and figures work with the PC, or is this primarily a console gaming thing?

Bionic
May 6, 2007

Beelzebub posted:

Does a version of the base and figures work with the PC, or is this primarily a console gaming thing?
It'll be out on PC next year, console-only until then.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bionic posted:

If you have ownership of a toy and get it to level 1, it shows up in your Hall of Heroes. All the original owner loses out on for taking ownership of the toy for that session is the experience earned in that session. I'm not quite sure what that has to do with completionism.

You have holes to fill in the Hall of Heroes with the statues you own. As the statues level, the statue itself goes from bronze to silver to gold, to whatever. If you don't own the figure, your profile doesn't get to see that happen. It is a 'thing to do', which is a core aspect of the idea of 'completionism'.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

5er posted:

You have holes to fill in the Hall of Heroes with the statues you own. As the statues level, the statue itself goes from bronze to silver to gold, to whatever. If you don't own the figure, your profile doesn't get to see that happen. It is a 'thing to do', which is a core aspect of the idea of 'completionism'.
I get how the Hall of Heroes works. Multiple people can take ownership of the same figure and so can all have that statue in their Hall of Heroes. Where does that prevent completionism?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I was running off of my experience with my son and our separate profiles. He loves Randy, and that's 'his' figure. It was a guest in my instance of both the Monsters U and toy box. Eventually we went to my Hall of Heroes, and he did not have a statue pop in at its pedestal. Should he have, after all that?

Bionic
May 6, 2007

5er posted:

I was running off of my experience with my son and our separate profiles. He loves Randy, and that's 'his' figure. It was a guest in my instance of both the Monsters U and toy box. Eventually we went to my Hall of Heroes, and he did not have a statue pop in at its pedestal. Should he have, after all that?
Did you take ownership of the figure and get it to level 1?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Bionic posted:

This is awesome, thank you very much! Now I dont have to worry about my kids fighting over who gets to use which character!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bionic posted:

Did you take ownership of the figure and get it to level 1?

We're coming back full circle to progress wiping being unacceptable to the original owner.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

5er posted:

We're coming back full circle to progress wiping being unacceptable to the original owner.
It sounds like you didn't read the quote I posted that said taking ownership doesn't wipe progress. Here's how it works:

Kevin has a Dash figure. He is the first owner of the figure and plays it up to level 4. He brings it to Lisa's house, where the figure is a guest. He gains a lot of experience while a guest at Lisa's house, and when he comes home, he puts Dash into his game. Dash gets to level 6 with the experience gained as a guest at Lisa's house.

The next day, Kevin brings his Dash figure to Lisa's house again. They decide to temporarily trade his Dash for her Mater, so that they can try the other figures out. Lisa takes ownership of Dash, and as soon as she hits level 1 on Dash, his statue shows up in her Hall of Heroes.

The day after that, they trade back. When Kevin brings his Dash home, he does not get any of the experience earned while Lisa had ownership of Dash. However, as soon as he takes ownership of the figure again, it shows his old level 6.

There is no functional limit to the number of owners that each figure can keep track of. If you take ownership, it doesn't wipe anyone's progress. It just lets you track progression using that figure without messing at all with any of the progress of that figure's other owners.

If someone else has had an experience where their progress was wiped, that is a bug and sucks terribly. But it's a system that is built to prevent anyone's experience from being lost at all due to switching ownership.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Are you basically saying that if my kid's Randy is level 9, I steal ownership away, play him up to say, level 5, then he takes Randy back and reclaims ownership, he'll be back to level 9? And if I take ownership back again, he'll go back to my level 5?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

5er posted:

Are you basically saying that if my kid's Randy is level 9, I steal ownership away, play him up to say, level 5, then he takes Randy back and reclaims ownership, he'll be back to level 9? And if I take ownership back again, he'll go back to my level 5?

Yes, that is exactly how it works.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

That is loving AWESOME. I appreciate everyone's patience while my reading comprehension suffered? I shouldn't be skimming posts lightly while on hold with customers :v:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I just wanna confirm this before I buy a set of these things: The Wii U version has online multiplayer right? It has all the same online as the other version so I can download other toy boxes and stuff?

Bionic
May 6, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I just wanna confirm this before I buy a set of these things: The Wii U version has online multiplayer right? It has all the same online as the other version so I can download other toy boxes and stuff?
360, PS3, and Wii U all have the same online functionality. No playsets online, just toy box. And toy box sharing isn't really enabled yet, but when it is, it will be on Wii U just like it is on 360 and PS3.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Having used the slightly convoluted friend system on the Wii U to do online multiplayer games of Monster Hunter 3 U, I'm sure that once the toybox sharing features are lit, it'll work just as well as it will on the other consoles.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.

Beelzebub posted:

Every character you buy comes with a 12 digit code you enter online. This unlocks the characters for the iPad and PC version. PC version is out in October.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yes, that is exactly how it works.

So this must mean the character's level is tied to individual player accounts? So, if I took a character I was playing on my 360 to my brother's PS3, there's probably no way the character's level would stay the same, would it?

Unless I created a new user account on PS3 and tied that account to the same Disney account I tied my 360 profile to, right?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
As an animator and former disneyland employee, I'm interested in this for obvious reasons. I'll likely be playing the PC version when it comes out in october.

I'm looking forward in particular to seeing what they plan to do with: Wreck-it-ralph, Tron, and Aladdin. The latter of which I hope allows for a really cool acrobatic Prince Of Persia type of city-and-dungeonscape. (With magic carpet riding and genie fun thrown in.) For wreck-it-ralph and Tron, I feel like I'd want to see a 'build your own arcade game' kind of thing going on. In addition to the obvious Sugar Rush racing stuff for Ralph, with Tron putting a big emphasis on teamplay and versus arena games. (As well as muckery with light discs and acrobatics.)

I'm also curious to see what will be done with the classic Disney characters. A black and white mickey world would be cool to explore.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 29, 2013

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

Spacedad posted:

As an animator and former disneyland employee, I'm interested in this for obvious reasons. I'll likely be playing the PC version when it comes out in october.

I'm still not seeing anything regarding a Windows version aside from the post on the official website stating Disney Infinity: Toy Box will be released in October. Some people have taken that, dropped the 'Toy Box' and are working under the assumption that it is the full game. Can someone provide absolute verification that there will be a proper PC release?

I spent a fair amount of time searching and only took the plunge on the X360 version at the last second. I probably missed something obvious, but only dug up vague references that could easily apply solely to the aforementioned Toy Box. I'd be a bit disappointed, but also excited, if Windows is getting the whole works.

Spacedad posted:

I'm also curious to see what will be done with the classic Disney characters. A black and white mickey world would be cool to explore.

Remaking Mickey Mania would be a darn good time.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'd really get a kick out of a Steamboat Willie playset & figures.

I've gotten through about three playsets so far, and I notice that there's really no concept of a 'boss' confrontation with this game. It's all fetch and/or kill tasks in order to unlock stuff to play with in the toy box. I hope for the future of this franchise they can mix gameplay up a bit better.

The best playset I've experienced so far has to be the Monsters U. one. Setting up those pranks had me and my son gut-laughing for an hour, especially when we got props that would wail on victims with a frying pan. Frying pan chair tennis was the highlight, and we got a 12x combo once launching a student back and forth before a second one walked in and hosed up the rhythm.
Kind of hated the bicycle challenges, and I don't think I'm ever getting the scare-pig Frat Row collection race done for gold.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Some more Disney playbox levels are available to download.

Cave of Wonders - Race through the Cave of Wonders and Aladdin's Agrabah Palace. Compete against Cars characters or your friends!
Super Sidescroll - Trigger the side scrolling camera to start. Then jump and bash your way through a classic game level.
ESPN Speedway - Rev your engines! Race your friends around the stadium loop, brake for a pit stop, and celebrate with a victory lap.
Hot Lava - Rope bridges are the only thing between you and flowing lava in this treacherous Toy Box. Watch your step!
Wrestling Arena - Are you the Disney Infinity combat champ? Prove it in two tricked out wrestling rings! - See more at: http://www.disneyinfinityfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3200#sthash.GINACrrb.dpuf

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Does anyone need the Bolt +Strength power disc? We ended up with 3 of them out of 6 packs (also 1 extra Fix-It Felix)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
So I tried messing around a bit with the figures today to see if there was a way of levelling up quickly.

If you get a figure to "just before levelling up", then shoot some crates with a range weapon to reveal the sparks that'll make you level up, and take the figure off the base as you're running over there, you do have just enough time to get the sparks and level up before your character becomes a ghost. I'd hoped that this would mean that the levelled up data couldn't be saved to the figure and thus when it was replaced, it would be back to being "just before levelling" again, meaning you could level again with one more round of sparks. However, that doesn't work - it seems that the state of the figure is cached on the console as well.

This begs the question - what happens if you do this on one console, then take the figure to another console? Does it come up with the extra level, or not? Is it being synchronised through the internet as well?

Edit: I've also found a.. surprising number of bugs in the creativitoys. I'm getting the feeling that they just didn't think people would use them. Creating a timer and setting it to unlimited, for example, just creates a broken timer.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 29, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

xK1 posted:

Does anyone need the Bolt +Strength power disc? We ended up with 3 of them out of 6 packs (also 1 extra Fix-It Felix)

I've only bought four packs (feeling for round power discs :v:). I got one Bolt, one C.H.R.O.M.E. (chance for temp invincibility), and two Fix-It Felix.

If Felixes and Bolts are all over the place, those aren't the worst to double up on, but there isn't poo poo you can do with a third one I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bionic
May 6, 2007

From the Disney Infinity Facebook page on August 17:

Toy box app will be on PC in October, full game including base and such will be next year.

Wreck-It Ralph is confirmed not to be a playset, unfortunately.

Easiest way to gain levels is just to do the fan/stunt buggy/rubber band the right thumbstick overnight thing. If this game had an actual progression of powers earned by leveling like in Skylanders, I would never think of doing something like that, but it's really just for unlocking toy vault spins here. The game's a lot more enjoyable for me now that I have all the vault toys and don't have to go crazy with the random unlocks ever again.

My biggest issue with the Toy Box so far is that team functionality is really only there for PvE. If you want to set up a Blue vs Orange battle level, you have to do all sorts of weird workarounds with checkpoints and spawn triggers and such just to get around them not putting "blue player defeats orange player" on the Victory Tracker.

• Locked thread