Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Of course Sawyer won. Doesn't make the season any worse.

Did you see him try to sing next to Fogerty? It was pretty funny. We got to see lots of returning singers who were better than the finalists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Eltoasto posted:

Did you see him try to sing next to Fogerty? It was pretty funny. We got to see lots of returning singers who were better than the finalists!

Nah I didn't even finish the performance ep and the idea of two hours leading up to abject disappointment doesn't interest me this season. Or anyone else, for that matter. Is anyone even still lurking this thread besides (presumably) Shake?

Anyway I think this might be the season that finally turns people against The Voice. First and foremost, this makes three consecutive bad seasons and NBC's decision to run two "seasons" per broadcast season will only accelerate audience fatigue unless they really nail the casting one of these seasons. Remember in Idol seasons past whem a Broadway run was what contestants who couldn't have successful recording careers did? Now guess what Andrew Kaufman's been up to. (Hint: it's not releasing an album - Tessanne was the last Voice to even release an album after winning.) Also notable is that 5 out of the 8 Voice winners already had various degrees of success in the industry before the show. Danielle Bradbery is arguably the only true amateur the show ever promoted (and probably Sawyer but I didn't pay attention to his backstory). So The Voice's entire brand identity at this point is "Makes Good Ratings" which given the state of the record industry is probably the best they could hope for: iTunes sales are still strong even if the ratings are on a downward tick (it happened last Spring too, and given the overall decline of live TV viewership they're doing quite well). So having a season-long cakewalk for one of the worst performers and vocalists to ever make the finals has to grate on someone, right?

This season of The Voice was like Idol S6 if the eliminations were in reverse order (except Blake Lewis - what the hell was that anyway?) and Sanjaya won. Honestly.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I lurk the thread, if only because I find the rantings and insults to be funny, not because I watch these shows anymore.

I only ever watched The Voice anyway, and after that season with Trevin Hunte and Amanda Brown I realized no one knew what they were doing on that show. I can understand why they would pass up a lot of 50-year old divas with frankly stunning voices but those two (and many others) were young and blew everyone else out of the water including all the judges. Not good for a show that proclaims to focus mainly on voice talent.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Oh, the Idol season is over. Imagine that. Guess I should see who won? Oh, it's Nick. I'm okay with that. What the gently caress was that Jax elimination? She got to prepare three songs but then got the boot before the show even started? Whoa.

Anyway, in Slezak's exit interview Nick comes off as a great guy, much more personable than he ever got to be on Idol stage.
http://tvline.com/2015/05/19/nick-fradiani-american-idol-interview-video-season-14-winner/

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I lurk the thread because I usually watch The Voice, but I'm pretty sure as soon as Sawyer hit the stage in auditions this year I quit the show for the season. Nobody was particularly compelling in the first ep or two so I gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Promising The Voice S8 semifinalist Anthony Riley, who quit the show to go to rehab, took his own life last week. No jokes from me; that's lovely and sad, plain and simple.

Meanwhile LA Reid resurfaced to score a solid body blow on the rotted corpse of XFUSA, calling it "the worst thing I've ever done." In the same breath he did damage control for his relationship with Simon Cowell, even taking to Twitter afterwards to fluff him even more. Still; it's an interesting position to take for the person who oversees arguably the show's only success story.

L.A. Reid posted:

[...] I think he made the statement that if we didn't do 20 million viewers it was a failure. We did 14 million, which is actually a runaway success, but because we didn't do 20 it was a failure. To be honest? The truth is: The Voice cleaned our clock.
YAAASSSSSSSS I shouldn't love it so much but I just do.

So yeah, probably the last bump I'll be giving this thread. No need for a moratorium on the 2014-2015 singshow season, I feel. We were all there, and we all saw what happened, and it's probably for the best if we just move on. See you in late December for the last ever Idol thread. (please someone else take over for The Voice)

• Locked thread