Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tohovi
Jul 18, 2006
Granted, hollywood week is my favorite part every year and I might just be hyped up because that's where we're at, but so far I'm having fun this year - Urban's constant expression of "wait, where the gently caress did I just wake up? Huh, someone's singing" and Mariah's always-fascinating titties have me watching for a while.

...who am I kidding, I'm in all the way regardless, it's loving Idol :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Holy crap, Nicki Minaj's advice to the short guy was really poignant and on-the-mark. Did someone slip her the opposite of a mickey? An omega 3 capsule, perhaps?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Holy crap, Nicki Minaj's advice to the short guy was really poignant and on-the-mark. Did someone slip her the opposite of a mickey? An omega 3 capsule, perhaps?
I have no idea, but tonight it was almost like she was channelling Simon Cowell because she seemed really brutal to everyone unless they she thought they were really good. I kinda hope that she does end up as the "evil" judge since it's been way too long since we've had someone like that on these types of shows (even Simon seemed nicer on the X Factor, likely because the winner signs on to his record label and he wants someone who will sell a shitload of records and concert tickets).

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Obeast posted:

(even Simon seemed nicer on the X Factor, likely because the winner signs on to his record label and he wants someone who will sell a shitload of records and concert tickets).

He's completely toothless on XFUS but the show still sells it like he's potentially brutal and the audience boos anything from any judge that isn't totally supportive so there's no point in getting nuanced about poo poo.

If Nicki can keep this up through the live shows she's going to be my favorite judge on any show, ever. She's neck-and-neck with peak Cowell already.

e post-viewing: Fuckin boo to Nate Tao getting eliminated without a final performance to justify the decision. I stand by my statement that there are 4-6 standouts blowing everyone else away on the guys' side. Charlie Askew continues to own, but I can't help but think he should have saved Gotye for the live shows. Curtis Finch Jr absolutely crushed a song that I utterly hate, but he's been getting a dick edit so he probably won't last. If Jimmy Smith picks up a guitar he'll finish high, but my wife isn't sure if he's cute enough to be WGWG6.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 8, 2013

Tedgewick
Oct 29, 2012

Christopher Irvine posted:

I can't help but think he should have saved Gotye for the live shows.

I disagree. Not to delve too far into the depths of theoretical Idol strategems, but if you go in to Hollywood week with a killer performance in your back pocket, unleash it as soon as it appears on the song clearance list. Playing it conservative in what is essentially a million dollar lottery with 1 winner among just 20 tickets, the odds don't favor any sort of conservative strategy. If you make it far enough you'll have a chance to re-perform it in top 3 week. And if you sing your best song in the pre-recorded rounds and win, you'll have 2-3 months go practice up at home and create a new best performance before the live shows start. Countless kids have gone home thinking "auugh, if only I had a chance to sing...."

Nicky's affected voices and unaffected sinus voice are killing me this season. Mariah too, but for all the things are unspoken with her. Like the ridiculous gowns, the deliberate acting in her body language when reacting to a performer. She's just so uncomfortable being a regular human being on camera that it gives me the willies.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Tedgewick posted:

I disagree. Not to delve too far into the depths of theoretical Idol strategems, but if you go in to Hollywood week with a killer performance in your back pocket, unleash it as soon as it appears on the song clearance list. Playing it conservative in what is essentially a million dollar lottery with 1 winner among just 20 tickets, the odds don't favor any sort of conservative strategy. If you make it far enough you'll have a chance to re-perform it in top 3 week. And if you sing your best song in the pre-recorded rounds and win, you'll have 2-3 months go practice up at home and create a new best performance before the live shows start. Countless kids have gone home thinking "auugh, if only I had a chance to sing...."

Okay fair points. I just think he might have peaked a little early, which is absolutely a problem for Idol contestants that they can and should avoid.

Tedgewick posted:

She's just so uncomfortable being a regular human being on camera that it gives me the willies.

But you see, she isn't. She Is A Diva (and horrible judge whose vocal affects are a billion times more annoying and 100% less charming than Nicki's).

Tedgewick
Oct 29, 2012
Kez Ban is an idiot.

There, I said it. Never saw anything other than attention whore from her. She's a dime a dozen.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Enough with the Gotye already :rolleyes: I feel like prior seasons didn't have so many people performing the same song. The again last year round 1 of the girls top 12 two contestants sang the same Adele song so who knows

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Kez Ban actually strikes me as someone who is just very blunt, direct, and no-bullshit. She says what she's thinking and feeling, and doesn't beat around the bush. I like her!

Her candor's refreshing, and I enjoy her style on "Azure Sky:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7JbdD4w624

I also think she may be trans, which is also cool, since I'm not sure Idol's ever had a trans contestant.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 14, 2013

Tedgewick
Oct 29, 2012
I respect your opinion, but anyone that all about "me! me! me!" is repellant to... me. The second you proclaim how unique you are, you are dead to... me.

I hope to hell she gets cut next round. She sang horribly and got through purely for reasons of casting.

edit: And speaking of repellant; tactless Christ-groupie Colton Dixon had this to say after his gormless sister got cut for the 9th time.

Colton Dixon Calls American Idol “Rude” After They Cut His Sister

Tedgewick fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 14, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Tedgewick posted:

There, I said it. Never saw anything other than attention whore from her. She's a dime a dozen.

So what you're saying is that she's an Idol contestant? What is your point?

Every time Zoanette is on-screen I have to remind myself that I'm not watching a Chappelle's Show sketch.

I'm with Fienberg. Separating the girls from the guys killed the momentum a lot, which is something Hollywood Week episodes can ill-afford.

You know who I didn't miss for the first 90 minutes? Randy. Just send him home. He's the vestigial organ of this show and has been for nigh on a decade.

e: "Poo Snaps" :confused:

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 14, 2013

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Wow. Angela (Girl on Piano) was excellent.

Zoanette is what I'd tend to call an attention whore--or something like it, or approaching it.

Kez Ban could improve her "team-player" skills--since taking breakfast when you feel like it when your group is depending on you is NOT cool--but when I think of an attention whore, I think of someone histrionic, melodramatic, self-aggrandizing, aggressive, intrusive, and insensitive. Attention whores are people who are desperate for attention, and will command it at basically any cost.

From what I saw, Kez Ban's more of a "ain't nothin' gonna break-a my stride" flavor. She doesn't compromise her values and interests, but not because she needs to be the star and center of attention at all times, and she even said that she really wasn't particularly interested in winning Idol.

She's definitely a street performer, personality-wise.

In the event she is actually trans, and I'm not just imagining it, then I'd surmise that being a doggedly-self-assured rugged individualist has actually served her well.

I also felt bad for her while she was desperately trying to joke (flirt?) with those All-American girls in her group, and they just weren't getting it. Poor kid :(. She definitely wants to connect with people, but she also wants to be herself, which is an understandable dilemma.

Zoanette can rock the drums, though. She can actually put some money where her mouth is, much to my surprise. Every time I see her, I expect her to be terrible.

But, to some extent, we all probably project our own stories and biases onto these people. I'm definitely projecting stuff onto Kez Ban, and that's causing me to root for her.

Is Halie Hilburn still in this? She better be!

Ha, love Nicki Minaj's physical reaction to the girl saying that the hill will continue upwards forever, or whatever.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 15, 2013

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Poor Kez Ban :(

but I definitely think that her audition performance, the one where she was playing the guitar, was the very best one. I don't know what happened.

Was it just me, or did the girl who opened tonight sound like she was being autotuned? Regardless, great song, and I agree that I could imagine hearing it on the radio. She could be the winner if she continues being awesome.

Tedgewick
Oct 29, 2012
Its tragic that Zoanette got through when other singers got cut right after making the cut.

But I was glad to see David Leathers Jr. get the same kick in the shins on the way out. gently caress that guy and his parents for not getting him to shut up and behave during last year's audition. "Hi I'm a frog-faced pre-juvenile suave pimp that jessst luuvz 'Tha Ladies'" It was pleasant to see him cry. Never return David Leathers Jr., and dont forget to take out your hurt and frustrations on David Leathers Sr. for letting you go on national tv like that.

I'd like to give a shout out to Nicki Minage's implant cleavage. It was the hardest working thing on the show tonight, way to earn your millions girls.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
The first three girls were incredible. It felt more like a top 3 show instead of Hollywood Week.

And then Zoanette happened. I just... I mean I was compelled but... I... :geno: If she's just an enormous personality and I'm misjudging her as an exploited legit insane person/drug addict then I'm all too happy to eat my words but for now... yeah.

I wish they would skip the people who poo poo the bed who we haven't seen before. Just let them be the ephemera they are and let's see some genuine close calls.

What happened to that adorable girl who was singing when the fire alarms went off on the boat? Oh well. It was weird seeing Seacrest interacting with the contestants on-stage this early. I will say though, I'm really happy to see so much color in the top 40. I'm also maintaining my cautious optimism about this season even as viewership erodes to its lowest levels since 2002.

Tedgewick
Oct 29, 2012

I hope the tip of that jewel encrusted "e" isn't sharp, it could pop something.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Tedgewick posted:

I hope the tip of that jewel encrusted "e" isn't sharp, it could pop something.

Oh Tedgy :allears: I want to be mad at you for impugning my favorite reality show judge ever but I just can't.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

It seems like they are going to try to rig it hard for a girl win this year. Seems like they realize unless they do that they'll never overcome the 'Boyfriend Idol' train.

I still feel bad for Keith. He's the only one of the 4 that seems like an actual real, normal human being and he's in the middle of the insane asylum.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 15, 2013

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

KilGrey posted:

I still feel bad for Keith. He's the only one of the 4 that seems like an actual real, normal human being and he's in the middle of the insane asylum.

Indeed.

I feel doubly bad for him, given the little kitty-snit Mariah and Nicki seem to be having with each other.

Dawgystyle
Aug 31, 2004

"Smith was rattled, running for his life''
So this Zoanette gimmick is really happening...on the live shows?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Dawgystyle posted:

So this Zoanette gimmick is really happening...on the live shows?

They have a week left to shuffle her home. I can't loving fathom that they'd be that insane. Then again, ratings are at an all-time low, maybe they think continuing to exploit her will goose ratings?

With that said, let's share some anecdotes! Literally no one I know who has watched Idol recently is watching this season and their sole reason, universally, is Nicki Minaj. Nicki!! The best part of the show, I keep telling them! But no one's having it. :(

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Time for another Christopher Irvine self-bump/doublepost some opinions!

Jenny Ann Beth: 5/10 Terrible song choice, serviceable vocal. I'll forget her by the end of the night.
Tenna: 2/10 Even worse song choice, pacing problems, and a hot buttered mess tonally. The judges make me question my sanity with their effusive praise.
Adriana: 5/10 Another bad song choice, overbaked but not awful. Wife: "Shut up. You're 17." Go home, Keith. You're drunk.
Brandy: 4/10 Okay so it's just Obscure Sleepy Ballad Night I guess. Quite a few whiffed notes. The judges are cogent, giving me whiplash.
Shuba: 6.5/10 Ughhh don't do ths to Born This Way. Terrible breath control, shouldn't be dancing. Technically good but the arrangement was ghastly. If I knew how to change the thread title I'd use "Get ready to boo again!"
Kamaria: 1/10 Not a single note in tune until the end of the choruses. Clearly knew she was making GBS threads the bed, and was right.
Kree: 9/10 Told one hell of a story in perfect voice. This girl's gonna go far. Judges have no choice but to be spot-on. Bit of a sleepy arrangement though.
Angela: 10/10 I'm wondering if we're going to hear a vocal from this girl that doesn't sound like it's coming from the pimp spot of Top 3 night. The producers obviously love her, but they're not wrong.
Isabelle: 8/10 Not perfect but very strong with a killer glory note to cap it off. Girl needs to work on those flyaways if she's going to be in HD every week. The night is noticeably backloaded talent-wise.
Amber: 10/10 Killer tone, vibrato, and control. I wish I could have been in the audience to high-five someone too.

The results were seeming obvious to me but then they kept Tenna and I got really worried. The collateral damage fell upon Isabelle, which was absolutely the wrong call. I would have kept Shuba but honestly it's six of one, half a dozen of the other with her and Adriana.

Not a bad night. I guess We'll have to wait for Zoanette next week to really gently caress poo poo up.

e: Beth not Ann

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 21, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
A triple post? Dear oh dear. Well anyway here are my thoughts. Please disagree with me as soon as possible.

Paul: 7/10 I guess the sleepy ballad death march continues. The sound mix was all wrong, and he got lost in it a number of times, but it was good! Bad song though.
Johnny: 8/10 Too much drat reverb. Smart song choice. If he plays guitar he could be a lock for the top 4. I still think he's hosed up on drugs though.
JDa: 9/10 Holy poo poo was this phenomenal. The voice wasn't perfect but the performance was outstanding. I might have some blinders on because I'm thrilled that he's here at all given Idol's attitude toward LGBTQ contestants.
Kevin: 7/10 Didn't really hook me until the falsetto magic but drat was that smart. Doesn't have very strong stage presence and could get lost in the shuffle pretty quickly though.
Chris: 5/10 This interpretation was as tone-deaf as they come. The whole thing reeked of trying too hard, even though he can clearly sing. I don't expect him to survive the night.
Devin: 9/10 Another victim of the sound mix, but still fantastic. I don't care about the bilingual thing but good on him.
Elijah: 7/10 Whoa. If the judges don't cut him he's going to win the season. Mediocre vocal but it doesn't matter. My Fantasy Boyfriend Idol cynicism just crept in hard, and my wife's "15-year-old heart just melted".
Charlie: 8/10 Hoo boy is this kid something. It was a little soundalike for me but then he crushed it at the end. Baseless mic stand was a strange choice. Kid was so nervous and that further endeared him to me.
Jimmy: 6/10 Poor song choice to showcase his vocals and the keyboards were up way too much in the mix. Put me right to sleep. Not a great use of the momentum he had coming in.
Curtis: 9/10 Vocal of the night by far. That said, the dick edit he's gotten and his swagger is in serious danger of derailing any chance he has at the finals.

I can't call this one as easily as last night but I don't expect any major surprises. Kevin was a bit of a bummer, and then OH WHAT THE gently caress JDA?! Okay that's some grade A bullshit. Just when I thought this show had turned a corner toward the future it reminds me that it's a living fossil.

My wife correctly pointed out that if Jimmy's going to be a tiebreaker it should be between the last two contestants, because otherwise it's sort of meaningless.

In closing, lol Johnny Keyser.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

JDa: 9/10 Holy poo poo was this phenomenal. The voice wasn't perfect but the performance was outstanding. I might have some blinders on because I'm thrilled that he's here at all given Idol's attitude toward LGBTQ contestants.
Does Idol have something against LGBT contestants? Aside from middle America, who are generally conservative and anti-gay, being one of the biggest voting blocks (at least from what I've heard in past Idol and other similar reality show threads), I don't think the show itself has anything against them (especially after Adam Lambert being one of the more significant people to come out of Idol). :confused:

Also, sorry for not posting that much. I'm still watching it, but I just never have much to say on the internet regarding the show. :shobon:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Lambert was something of a breakthrough actually.

I think the idea the producers have in their head is that LGBTQ performers have made no progress since the 80s and that being openly gay is still career suicide, so even if the contestants play it coy or just wink at their sexuality it's come off as a contrivance where they have been very specifically instructed to play it coy or wink at their sexuality. Lambert didn't even publicly acknowledge his alignment until (I think) 6-12 months after the season ended. Granted, Idol tends to display as little sex as possible but it seemed to be more pronounced and distracting when it came to the gays. So to hear JDa say he's "here for the gays" and have it make air is sort of exhilarating, and makes his absolutely insane ouster sting just a little bit more.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Obeast posted:

Does Idol have something against LGBT contestants? Aside from middle America, who are generally conservative and anti-gay, being one of the biggest voting blocks (at least from what I've heard in past Idol and other similar reality show threads), I don't think the show itself has anything against them (especially after Adam Lambert being one of the more significant people to come out of Idol). :confused:

In the past, they've engaged in a bit of the"this ECCENTRIC contestant sure has ATTITUDE" nudge-nudge wink-wink voice over with goofy background music when profiling, in particular, effeminate gay male contestants, and it sometimes seemed as if Simon and Randy (especially Simon) looked for excuses to nix flamingly gay contestants, but they appear to be getting better.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 23, 2013

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I want to think that The Voice sucked up all of the actual talent that would have otherwise been on Idol.

This season so far has been a complete snoozefest for me.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
My probation delay is over, so here's some thoughts! Idol knows where its bread is buttered, so of course Zoanette's on last. That, and if it's a complete trainwreck they don't potentially have to waste "live" airtime backpedaling. Ah, reality television. Never change.

Melinda: 4/10 Swallowed by the mix, but it didn't matter because it was middling with pervasive pitch problems. I've already forgotten her and she just finished. Bad move repeating a song so soon after someone else killed it, as Nicki noted. Mariah's left eye appears off somehow.
Candace: 9/10 Given about 5x as much reverb as her superb instrument needed, and rose above the overproduction. A bit well-worn of a song choice for Idol at this point but she absolutely nailed it. She's obviously sailing through to the top 20. Keith loves the song choice because it's his first year here.
Juliana: 7/10 I hate this song but she had me hooked from the jump. Her connection to the song and enunciation left a lot to be desired but it was just beautiful. Mariah wrote down "celestial" and I guess I've been watching too much Deadwood lately because I was puzzled.
Jett: 6.5/10 The arrangement turned a raucous dance track into a dirge. She does have a really great voice but it was just the wrong song for it. I suspect she's making it into the top 20 by a nose though. Nicki hoping for a crescendo was spot-on. Mariah's already sounding like season 6-8 Pill-Poppin' Paula only somehow less coherent.
Cristabel: 5/10 Severely lost in the mix and it made her runs sound half-assed. Her nasal affectation and hyper-literal stage moves were extremely distracting, and her melismatic wankfest at the end was just embarrassing. Nicki makes sense, Randy is there as well, with really dumb-looking glasses. When Mariah asks for applause for the backup singers, you know you're in trouble.
Aubrey: 3/10 Zzzzzz. Pretty, a great dress, and that's about it. Thanks for coming; now please see yourself out. And the judges... love it? :confused: Whatever. One-and-done. The judges need to quit pretending that it's anything otherwise. I listened again to make sure I'm not crazy and woke up some time the next day.
Rachel: 1/10 Pure karaoke. Bad karaoke. Off-tune and an utter mess. She thought she was killing it too which was just sad. Keith gives props to the band, signing her ticket home. Nicki asks how she's doing as she zips the bag on her luggage. Randy's happy to hear an untempo number as he tips the flight attendant. Mariah's dress continues to scream in agony.
Breanna: 2.5/10 Swallowed by the sound mix, yet again. The instrumentation was head-scratchingly odd. She did nothing to earn her swagger and probably couldn't hear herself, because this was dreadful. Horrible song choice. Nicki encouranging her to join another doomed contestant is a bit delicious. I'm starting to suspect a shitshow come elimination time.
Jannell: 7/10 I probably would have liked it a lot more if I could loving hear her at all. From what I could hear though, this was pretty good. The judges mostly eviscerate her and I can't understand why. Oh well, time for what we all came here to see...
Zoanette: Infinity/10 As soon as I recognized the song, my soul left my body. When I realized that I had no idea whether or not she was singing in English, I became positive that she was going through to the live rounds, and I just... I give up. Give her all the votes. I don't loving care any more.
"It made SO MUCH SENSE." - Nicki Minaj

And the super-helpful Idol graphic informs us that America is split 50/50 about agreeing or disagreeing with the judges. Perfect.

Zoanette is of course through, and Idol is over. Melinda and Juliana make graceful exits. Aubrey makes it through on looks apparently. The judges make the right call and send Cristabel home. Obviously Candace is in. Jett gets her season 13 golden ticket. Breanna is in the top 10 females because obviously it's not going to be Rachel. Congrats Janell!

WRONGED WOMEN: Isabelle, Jett, Juliana - Jett would have made it through week 1 of Sudden Death with ease, and Isabelle was straight-up robbed and Janell is nothing if not a lesser substitute. With all their talk of potential, the judges ignored a lot of it in Juliana. She'll be back next year though, I'm sure.
CANNON FODDER: Tenna, Adriana, Aubrey, Breanna - Adriana was middling and the other three were among the worst of their respective nights. None of them will see the top 10.
LOCKS FOR THE TOP TEN: Kree, Angela, Amber, Candice - After these four it gets less clear, but obviously if VFTW has any pull anymore (SPOILER: they don't) Zoanette will surely be there.

The proceedings sure aren't going to be boring going forward! Too bad nobody's watching.

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder
I kept waiting for Zoanette to get booted off.. I felt so bad and thought they were letting her through just to humiliate her. But then she sang Circle of Life and now I just want her to stay forever. :swoon: She and Charlie are the only two people I care about at this point.

How did that girl not get read for her horrible off-key version of Only Girl in the World? Am I crazy? I feel like most of the beginning was terrible and weak. :/

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I feel like Zonette is a practical joke everyone is in on but me. What the Christ. I couldn't understand a drat word of her performance. She sounded and looked like a possessed Daffy Duck.

Why the gently caress am I still watching this show? I'm going to blame you, Christopher Irvine, for lack of anyone else.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 28, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

KilGrey posted:

I'm going to blame you, Christopher Irvine, for lack of anyone else.
I deserve that. I absolutely deserve that :negative:

Time for the guys to tidy up the stage after Zoanette tore it up last night. I sure can't wait to barely hear the singers over the band, boy howdy!

Mathenee: 4/10 Didn't really get off the ground until he switched to his upper register. Didn't bring anything new to the table, but he's not terrible. Good performer at least. Bad song choice. "We'll see" from Randy is the new "You look wonderful" from Paula. Mariah's never heard this song apparently. Odd.
Gurpreet: 3/10 Again, just plain bland. I like that he has a distinct look but the voice is unremarkable. Weak song, and I'm wondering if I'm going to have anything different to say about anyone at this point. Keith gives an identical critique as well. Mariah mentions vocal "quality" for the second contestant in a row.
Vincent: 7.5/10 Not digging the bathrobe, but we've got the first real contender of the night. The jumping and repeating was a bit much but GOT DAM those glory notes. He should be made aware that when he's being shot from the chest up his go-to stage move looks like he's jacking off. If I could make a .gif I so would. (You still in this thread Tedgewick?)
Zoanette slayed me with "GET IT PAPA SMURF!" Three poo snaps in a Z formation, Zoany.
Nick: 8/10 Now THAT'S how you build drama for real. Finally a nuanced performance on Idol. As usual, the judges are harder on the people who do very good without totally smashing it, which... yeah that may have been a bad move on his part. I like Nick so I'm pretty worried.
Josh: 2/10 ...*grumble* huh? Oh right Idol's still on. Wow was this bad. The guy has no idea what to do with himself when he doesn't have the piano to play and it was hard to watch. And then he botched that naked final note so hard that I felt kinda bad for him. Keith and Nicki were laser-sharp with their feedback. He's not a cute enough boy to make the cut after a church fart like that.
David: 5/10 I'm not sure if an alt-country reimagining of this song was a smart choice since it neutered the chorus. The ending of the song made my head spin with how completely different it was. What a mess. I bumped him a full point for the last 10 seconds though. Nicki's devastating words were absolutely perfect.
Bryant: 8/10 I'll confess that I don't like this song (and 95% of Billy Joel's catalogue for that matter) but this was drat good. Not one note out of place and properly made sweet Hawaiian love to the cameras. Nicki gives leftover critique from David, I guess. Randy pretends that he hasn't heard this song a billion times on this show and that he doesn't know it goes loving nowhere.
Burnell: 6/10 His hand jive was SO AWKWARD. Another unremarkable vocal but it was fine enough. Keith's drunk and mistakes getting behind the song for innovative cadence. Nicki gives some stunning hyperbole to put him way more over than I thought he deserved tonight. But I liked him a lot before this, so I'm willing to let him slide into the top 20.
Lazaro: 5/10 I feel so bad for Lazaro because his nerves clearly ate him alive. This was very boring but he's got a shitload of momentum and crowd support that I can't see him not getting another chance. The judges' panel supports my presumption. Seacrest does the classy thing and fills in the blanks when Lazaro can't tell his story.
Cortez: 9.5/10 Far and away the best of the night. He should not have been mixed below the background singers but he shone through. The crowd could have hosed him up but they didn't. I expect him to go far this season. The judges give the usual pimp spot treatment and it's not undeserved.

David heads home and I doubt we'll see him next year. Bryant is out and the crowd correctly boos hard. That was nonsense but it broke the field wide open. Vincent is safe, of course. Matheny goes home, but he doesn't need Idol since he has the Bahamas. Lazaro makes it because they'd be bonkers to send him home after all that pimping. Cortez is in the top 20, obviously. Josh goes home at the correct time. Burnell is through because the third-to-last always is during sudden death. Gurpreet is the final sudden death casualty but it's for Nick, so I'm okay with it.

ROBBED: JDa, Bryant, (oh FINE) Johnny
CANNON FODDER: Paul The field is surprisingly even among the guys.
LOCKS FOR THE TOP 10: Devin, Charlie, Lazaro, Cortez, Elijah The pimping and momentum for Charlie and Lazaro will certainly carry them through and Devin and Cortez are undeniable talents. Curtis has had an unflattering edit and Idol's audience has a bad track record of eliminating oustanding men of color too soon, particularly in the early voting rounds. That and Elijah's running away with the Fantasy Boyfriend Idol with zero resistance.

So we're going from 20 to 10 next week? Well okay that sucks because we're almost certainly going to see some very unfair cuts. See all both of you then!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I didn't entirely disagree with the judges last night save for maybe one or two and I wasn't that married to those two anyway.

I actually really liked Burnell and how he moves. Yeah, it was a bit weird but it was natural movement to him. I appreciate that much more than the over dramatic and rehearsed/staged movements a lot of the people have.

I really, really like Lazaro. I think I'm being affected with what I'm sure every other girl who is going to pile on votes for him is. He has this adorable lost puppy thing going on and you want to hug and protect him. He's a good contender for Fantasy Boyfriend too. I think part of his problem last night was exactly what Mariah pointed out, he got really emotional when they were showing his video and was welling up when they cut back to him to sing. If I were on the show I'd hate to have that stuff playing when I'm about to go on stage.

I also really loved the last guy whose name I can't remember. I enjoyed that song slowed down much better than the original.

I really wish Turbanator had been better and gone through. I think it would have been good for someone of that ethnicity and religious background to be on the show and educate Amurica a bit that brown+turban != terrorist. And he seemed like a cool dude.

It's weird they are cutting ten next week. Top ten is who goes on tour and it usually takes longer to get to that number. I'm guessing they extended the auditions because these shows always lose viewers after the auditions.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 1, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
It just occurred to me that unless Paul Jolley stops being generic or Charlie Askew broadens his appeal and either strap on a guitar, the WGWG empire has already fallen.

Good. :colbert:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

It just occurred to me that unless Paul Jolley stops being generic or Charlie Askew broadens his appeal and either strap on a guitar, the WGWG empire has already fallen.

Good. :colbert:

Never underestimate the power of teenage girls who want a Fantasy Boyfriend.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
:siren: LIVE VOTING ROUNDS START TONIGHT AT 8PM :siren:

Tonight features Zoanette on live television. If you don't know what that means or why you should care, watch these now. It's amazing that they're letting her be anything but pre-taped, in both the best and worst ways. Plus, come Thursday we're losing half of the contestants and the show is ending a week earlier than years past, so at least it won't be a long journey and it's almost certainly not ending with another White Guy With Guitar champion so that's worth something, right? Maybe!

I think I've been watching this show too long because I'm starting to objectively love Zoanette.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Ryan's live stage banter is showing some serious rust and Mariah couldn't be more wooden. But here we are, and here we go!

Zoanette: 2/10 Uh-oh, they've given Zoanette the death slot with a lesser Tina song, to say nothing of that awful outfit. She reveals she has no lower range to start and ends the performance screeching the notes to death. There were a few bright spots, but it'll take nothing short of a miracle to get her in the top 10 unless 5 more people poo poo the bed harder.
Breana: 3/10 Awkward self-censorship and pacing problems kept me out of this. Did she keep holding back on her notes? This was just odd. Also she did "big arms" about 6 times too many. Randy provides a perfectly cogent critique, stunning me. I find myself wishing that every contestant be taller than Seacrest.
Aubrey: 5/10 I loving hate this song. Why do people who want to prove that they're good singers continue to sing Fergie? I'll never understand. She was straining to sound like the original, so it came off karaoke. There was some soul in there but it was unremarkable and the backup singers swallowed her up on the chorus. Pretty ending, though not a good night so far at all. Seacrest's Shorter Streak count is at 3.
Janelle: 6/10 Started strong but completely whiffed the crescendo, and botched her mic control on the glory note. But she's the best of the night so far, as Nicki noted, so there's that! The judges skew positive because they don't want everyone changing the channel all at once. Seacrest celebrates the end of the Seacrest Shorter Streak by turning Nicki's innocuous comment into a fat joke. Way to go, dick.
Tenna: 6/10 Turning your voice into a whisper doesn't work for everyone, sorry. And holy poo poo what a terrible dress! This was fine but she had pitch problems and she was sacrificing lyrics for runs quite a bit. The judges aren't sure what to say but she's probably safe on this snoozefest of a night. Randy's concentration is shattered by Nicki's mention of boobs.
Angie: 10/10 Pure professional perfection. It was almost too good. I can't see this girl not going very, very far. Utterly blew everyone off the stage to this point and the judge feedback correctly reflected that fact. For my money, she's a lock for the top 4 at the absolute minimum.
Amber: 10/10 Another fantastic vocal. Now we've really got a show going on! Another absolute lock. "Effortless" describes it perfectly, so thanks Nicki.
Kree: 10/10 Continued perfect storytelling from my favorite contestant this season. Just advance the last 3 ladies directly to the final 4 and save us a whole lot of hemming and hawing. Good LORD was this fantastic. I'm seriously reconsidering issuing three 10s in a row but I just can't find a flaw and I'm running with it. This night has been schizophrenic in quality but honestly the first hour was worth getting through to get to the last 20 minutes.
Adriana: 6/10 I went in expecting a cooldown after the fire preceding it before Candice tears the house down, and I was dead on. It sounded exactly like what it was: a very talented girl singing a song far beyond her years unsuccessfully. She was overwhelmed by a ridiculous inspirational torch song and it was, as the judges said, pageanty as gently caress. She could skate through on sympathy and youth but I doubt it.
Candice: 11/10 Perfect. In a night with 3 other flawless performances she still closed the night with panache. Best of the night, which is no easy feat. I kind of want to scale down my other 10s to 9s but I just won't be being honest if I do.

So the top 5... four of them are obvious total locks in Angie, Amber, Kree, and Candice. If VFTW has their way it'll be Zoanette but that seems impossible. I would give it to Janelle but honestly it'll probably be Aubrey because she's the prettiest of the also-rans. If any of my top four don't make it I will be legitimately upset and so should you.

Yeah, I know, nobody's watching :smith:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Last night was the first night I've watched, so I haven't seen the guys, but I am 100% confident after Angie, Kree and Candice that if a man wins this season, shut the whole loving thing down because there's no point anymore. There is no way any of the guys are as good as any of those three.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

sportsgenius86 posted:

There is no way any of the guys are as good as any of those three.

No, you're right. It will be a complete shambles if the top 4 isn't 75% female. The best acts on the guys side are worship leaders mining the same vein as Ledet, Lusk, etc but less well. Arguably the best singer on the guy's side has been getting a very unsympathetic edit, and that'd be Curtis. Elijah's got Fantasy Boyfriend Idol locked down though, it's probably why they gave him the death slot tonight.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I think Nicki Minaj is on something tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

High School Theater Idol Nick Boddington

E: this is loving horrible.

• Locked thread