Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«131 »
devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

Welcome to the Izod Indycar series 2013 season! Last year was awesome with one of the more exciting and memorable 500s in recent years as well as lots of close (and safe!) racing. This year should be even more of that if you have the right channel to watch it on! There are three double-header weekends in order to meet the minimum race count requirement for the Izod contract, qualifying format for those is still TBD.

Schedule
March 24: Streets of St. Petersburg (1.8-mile street course) WINNER: James Hinchcliffe
April 7: Barber Motorsports Park (2.3-mile road course) WINNER: Ryan Hunter-Reay
April 21: Streets of Long Beach (1.968-mile street course) WINNER: Takuma Sato
May 5: Streets of Sao Paulo (2.536-mile street course) WINNER: James Hinchcliffe
May 27: Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2.5-mile oval) WINNER: Tony Kanaan
June 1: Raceway at Belle Isle Park Race 1 (2.1-mile street course) WINNER: Mike Conway
June 2: Raceway at Belle Isle Park Race 2 (2.1-mile street course) WINNER: Simon Pagenaud
June 8: Texas Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval) WINNER: Helio Castroneves
June 15: Milwaukee Mile (1.0-mile oval) WINNER: Ryan Hunter-Reay
June 23: Iowa Speedway (.875-mile oval) WINNER: James Hinchclife
July 7: Pocono Raceway (2.5-mile tri-oval WINNER: Scott Dixon
July 13: Streets of Toronto Race 1 (1.755-mile street course) WINNER: Scott Dixon
July 14: Streets of Toronto Race 2 (1.755-mile street course) WINNER: Scott Dixon
Aug. 4: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (2.258-mile road course) WINNER: Charlie Kimball
Aug. 25: Infineon Raceway (2.303-mile road course) WINNER: Will Power
Sept. 1: Streets of Baltimore (2-mile street course) WINNER: Simon Pagenaud
October 5: Streets of Houston Race 1 (1.7-mile parking lot course)
October 6: Streets of Houston Race 2 (1.7-mile parking lot course)
October 19: Auto Club Speedway (2-mile oval)

IRC
We complain about penske and ganassi during races in #ics on irc.synirc.com
ALMS/Rolex/Sports Car chat welcome as well!

Aero Kits
CONFIRMED FOR 2014

The Road to Indy
Indycar has the "Road to Indy" ladder, which provides a path for drivers to move up the open wheel ranks to the Indycar Series proper. Several Indycar teams run teams in the lower series as well. Many of these series race on the same weekend as Indycar as support races.

Firestone Indy Lights - Indycar Minor Leagues, many of the current indycar drivers are Indy Lights graduates. Dallara Chassis, 3.5 Liter V8.

Star Mazda - Star Chassis, Mazda Renesis rotary engine

U.S. F2000 - Van Diemen Elan Chassis, Mazda MZR 4Cylinder

USAC Silver Crown / Midgets - While not officially part of the Road to Indy Ladder, many current and former open wheel drivers got their start in sprint cars.

The All American Soap Box Derby - They're open-wheel and have an indycar sticker, they count.

News and Blogs:
All Indycar "blogs" are terrible. Also fans on twitter.
http://www.indystar.com/irl

Twitter:
Just follow these lists

Randy Bernard
Again, gently caress the team owners.

Previous Threads
Indycar Series 2012: NASCAR Refugees Welcome!
Indycar Series 2011
2010/2009

Thanks to Pnut_Prez for the thread title, even if he doesn't watch indycar.

Team Lineup:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at Sep 1, 2013 around 21:39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

Root for KV Racing or you can

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Root for KV Racing or you can

I may be an AA Superfan but yeah you have to be some cold motherfucker to not like a KV consisting only of TK and Simona.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff's watching...

Go TK and, thanks to my discovery last night, Graham Rahal. And Hinch, too.

IndyCar really couldn't have picked three more tracks to not have to do these doubleheaders? Really? And to that end, they couldn't have picked an oval to hold one of the doubleheaders on?

How about Burke Lakefront, and two of Kansas/Chicago/Kentucky/Atlanta/Nashville?

And because I like TV stuff, here's who will likely be calling races in 2013 for your viewing pleasure:

ABC/ESPN:
Booth- Marty Reid, Scott Goodyear, Eddie Cheever, Jr.
Pit Road- Jamie Little, Vince Welch, Rick DeBruhl, others

NBC Sports Network:
Booth- Leigh Diffey, Jon Beekhuis, Wally Dallenbach, Jr.
Pit Road- Robin Miller, Marty Snider, Kevin Lee, Chris Neville(?)

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at Jan 18, 2013 around 14:51

Minto Took
Dec 4, 2002

RAVAGE ME SAGAN

Graham fan since Pops was a Bobby fan. Always pull for TK.

I'm putting in the effort this year to go to Fast Friday and the Lights race in May.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

~*LEGACY*~

What up new thread. Let's see some good poo poo this year, huh?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Serious question: how do we top last year, at least for all of the actual on-track action?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

~*LEGACY*~

Cool people winning races (Hinch, Simona, etc). Otherwise I dunno.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Go TK and, thanks to my discovery last night, Graham Rahal. And Hinch, too.

IndyCar really couldn't have picked three more tracks to not have to do these doubleheaders? Really? And to that end, they couldn't have picked an oval to hold one of the doubleheaders on?

How about Burke Lakefront, and two of Kansas/Chicago/Kentucky/Atlanta/Nashville?

And because I like TV stuff, here's who will likely be calling races in 2013 for your viewing pleasure:

ABC/ESPN:
Booth- Marty Reid, Scott Goodyear, Eddie Cheever, Jr.
Pit Road- Jamie Little, Vince Welch, Rick DeBruhl, others

NBC Sports Network:
Booth- Leigh Diffey, Jon Beekhuis, Wally Dallenbach, Jr.
Pit Road- Robin Miller, Marty Snider, Kevin Lee, Chris Neville(?)

IMS Radio Network
Chief Announcer-Mike King
Driver Expert-Davey Hamilton
Historian- Donald Davidson
Turn 1-Jerry Baker
Turn 2-Jake Query
Turn 3-Mark Jaynes
Turn 4-Chris Denari
Pit Reporters-Nick Yeoman,Dave Argabright,Kevin Lee,
Hospital/Garage Reporter-Dave Wilson

http://tunein.com/radio/stations/IM...tations-a38365/

Here's an incomplete list of IMS affliates. I know 640 WHLO is generally hit or miss at times, they had the Iowa race I believe, but didn't have Sonoma.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

IOwnCalculus posted:

Serious question: how do we top last year, at least for all of the actual on-track action?

Simona podium-ing. Will Power winning not crashing on an oval. A first-time Indy 500 winner.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So who's going to get Penske's third seat?

go3
Dec 20, 2006

Go Team Penske

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Barnhart screwed me, that's typical of him, he's always been a wanker.

Isn't Marty being thrown out of the booth for somee one else. I know he's going to NHRA.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Isn't Marty being thrown out of the booth for somee one else. I know he's going to NHRA.

Hopefully Paul Page

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/arti...indycar-return/

also, HVM is back.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hi IndieCar thread, my name is Cygni and I have a racecar problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2faJYdeEPK4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-FuBD_2jA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrFIc6RJKGU

Cygni fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2013 around 07:00

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

When the bombs go off all that will be left on the Earth are cockroaches and Keith Wiggins trying to get the sponsorship together to run a car.

Actually is there anymore word on MSR? Are they ever going to get that engine deal and make an appearence? It'd be good to see Allmendinger back where he belongs.

e: also I'm I reading this right? All that commotion just to end up saving $50-60k a year? With all the bitching the teams were doing I was thinking it was at least ten times that figure, if not much, much more.

28 Gun Bad Boy fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2013 around 06:53

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexp...e-indycar-math/
Cavin: Between 21 & 28 cars for the 2013 season.

A HVM entry could make it 29

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

In them, 5

Helicon One
Aug 27, 2006

Some of these blogs are dead, or at least haven't been updated for a year or more.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXELfd3jaWA

/Paul Page

Auto racing in America, a dynamic mix of athleticism, stamina and technology, This year marks the 97th running of the Greatest Spectacle in racing

The race brings drivers from all over the world, different backgrounds, all with one common goal. A glass of milk, and a chance to be etched into racing immortality

Alex Zanardi finally is in the field of the race he has dreamed of running ever since he joined the American Autoracing scene. It all would seem impossible 12 years a go, but now thanks to a few friends his dream of running on the brickyard is now a reality

Will today see the crowning of the race's 4th 500 Champion? Dario Franchitti and Helio Castroneves are looking to join the company of legends Foyt, Unser and Mears

Or will we see a first time winner? Like Marco Andretti, a man who's father was never able to fully conquer the 500 mile race, and grandfather only could claim one victory.

The race has seen it's share of spectacular moments, and finishes. Today will see another chapter written in the greatest story in auto racing...The Indianapolis 500 IS NEXT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEMsYsL3fXg

be nice wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ffs people am I the only person who watched the X Games when Paul Page did commentary? the man is past it, he has no place doing motorsport commentary anymore.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff's watching...

BMB5150 posted:

Maybe I missed that being announced. I know it was rumored, but hadn't seen anything to show it was a deal.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

gently caress off wicka posted:

ffs people am I the only person who watched the X Games when Paul Page did commentary? the man is past it, he has no place doing motorsport commentary anymore.

On the positive side, I don't think Page could get any worse than his X-Games performance.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress off wicka posted:

I haven't listed to him much, but not bad for NHRA. I'd say he's retiring. He's been doing this for like 40 years like Jenkins and may be time to hang it up. What I'm most scared is what can ESPN/ABC give us this time besides Todd Harris.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff's watching...

BMB5150 posted:

I haven't listed to him much, but not bad for NHRA. I'd say he's retiring. He's been doing this for like 40 years like Jenkins and may be time to hang it up. What I'm most scared is what can ESPN/ABC give us this time besides Todd Harris.

There is literally no option I can think of other than somebody like Harris that has no clue, but will try to make the sport "cool" by making it...well...Indie.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It will be Scott Goodyear and a bowl of runny cottage cheese that has a funk and is past it's day but I mean we're not going to just throw it away and waste it, could you imagine what grandma would say she lived through the depression!

But no really, all the options are bad, brace yourself.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Only thing I could see Paul doing for ABC is hopefully kicking Musberger to the curb and putting Paige in his place since Paige has some kind of knowledge of Indycar instead of absolutely nothing. It's going to be no one has ever heard of and we're going to be screaming "WHY!" in the first race.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff's watching...

Let's see what Tomas Scheckter is up to nowadays...

quote:

@tomasscheckter Next week I am about to f**k you guys up with some truth #indycar #cheating #death #lanceamstrong

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Only thing I could see Paul doing for ABC is hopefully kicking Musberger to the curb and putting Paige in his place since Paige has some kind of knowledge of Indycar instead of absolutely nothing. It's going to be no one has ever heard of and we're going to be screaming "WHY!" in the first race.

I keep insisting that the series needs to move full time to NBCSN, and pray NASCAR joins them.

Hate on the network all you want, and you'd be correct, but at least they seem to hire the right people.

Dream scenario is NBC buys up the rights, Bob Varsha becomes lead announcer, Paul Page serves as pre/post-game anchor, ala Ken Squier during the first year of NASCAR on Fox. Diffey covers F1 full-time, including live for races like Monaco, Monza and Silverstone.

Speaking of Musburger, I REALLY hope he retires soon. He used to be my favorite within College Football, and now he's just an embarrassment.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff's watching...

FuzzySkinner posted:

I keep insisting that the series needs to move full time to NBCSN, and pray NASCAR joins them.

Hate on the network all you want, and you'd be correct, but at least they seem to hire the right people.

Dream scenario is NBC buys up the rights, Bob Varsha becomes lead announcer, Paul Page serves as pre/post-game anchor, ala Ken Squier during the first year of NASCAR on Fox. Diffey covers F1 full-time, including live for races like Monaco, Monza and Silverstone.

Speaking of Musburger, I REALLY hope he retires soon. He used to be my favorite within College Football, and now he's just an embarrassment.

ESPN's coverage isn't terrible when they do it right. The problem is we've had Todd "EXTREME SPORTS" Harris and Marty "Danica's Biggest Fan" Reid calling races for nearly a decade now, not to mention seven seasons of "PUSH DANICA" being the mentality.

VikingSkull
Jul 23, 2008

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Let's see what Tomas Scheckter is up to nowadays...

What

Seriously, what the gently caress

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So let's see...thus far Silly Season has shaken out to give us this:

21 Full-time rides
2 500 rides

There's currently 12 Chevy's, 9 Honda's. Thankfully no Lotus's.

Normally the average field for a given non- Tripe Crown event is 26, 33 otherwise for Pocono, Indy and Fontana.

Currently out of the current teams, the possibilities of Expansion are: Penske getting a 3rd driver, Andretti getting a 4th, Ganassi getting a 4th, Rahal getting a 2nd, Dragon getting a 3rd, Schmidt getting a 2nd, and Coyne getting a 2nd.

There's been talk of Newman-Haas coming back with 2 drivers, HVM coming back with 3 (with a team potentially owned by EJ Viso). Conquest, Michael Shank and Scuderia Coloni are all trying to field teams as well. HVM has been the only one that has made the recent noise, all the rest have been rather quiet.

There's not been much said about the Ganassi/KV Racing team up for Zanardi. Despite Crapwagon's thoughts, he does seem quite interested in doing it.

Thus far, Ryan Briscoe seems to be the top free agent of last years field. Ana Beatriz, Wade Cunningham, James Jakes, Townsend Bell, Buddy Rice, Davey Hamilon, Paul Tracy, Vitor Meira, Bruno Junqueira, Alex Lloyd, Martin Plowman, and Bertrand Baguette are all drivers that have been in and out of the series for the past two seasons.

Potential Mazda Road To Indy candidates/young drivers could be Connor Daly, Tristan Vautier, Bryan Clausen, Esteban Guerrieri, Gustavo Yacamán, Sebastián Saavedra, Victor Carbone.

The wildcard still is very much 'Dinger. He's still seemingly hitched the idea of going with Phoenix, but he seems to be in some sort of rotation with Regan Smith and "WATCH OUT FOR THAT AUSTIN DILLON". The best chance at him coming on board is if MSR is able to land an engine, though part of me is hoping that he takes up RP on his offer, and goes in the 12.

In the "HELL FREEZES OVER" department. Kyle Busch has expressed interest in running the double in the past, along with Brian Vickers, and Kyle Larson. Also, I'd imagine Robby Gordon wouldn't be extremely against the idea, but I think he's nearly done with his career. The best chance is Vickers, who actually attempted to do it last season, but didn't have a chance due to the engine shortage brought on by Lotus.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at Jan 20, 2013 around 05:37

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff's watching...

Wasn't Scheckter a bit of a bitchy little poo poo? I'm just trying to figure out what he's trying to do (if it's out of spite, etc.) and what exactly he's going to drop that's so Earth-sahttering.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

He's going to confess to racing while high, and the motorsports community will respond with "No poo poo..."

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

FuzzySkinner posted:

Potential Mazda Road To Indy candidates/young drivers could be Connor Daly

Sadly you can probably take Daly off the possible list. He's looking more likely to stay over here this season, with him being strongly linked to a seat at Tech 1 in WSR. Quite a move if he can pull it off given the fact they're one of the best teams in the series, could even mean he might be a surprise championship contender.

While I think Indycars are definitely the future for him, if he gets another season or two of junior formula action over here will do him no harm at all.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

He will talk about pushing the brakes back again and nobody will care. People have been cheating in IndyCar forever.

Or Penskes old passive traction control #wow #whoa

Cygni fucked around with this message at Jan 20, 2013 around 06:46

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Sadly you can probably take Daly off the possible list. He's looking more likely to stay over here this season, with him being strongly linked to a seat at Tech 1 in WSR. Quite a move if he can pull it off given the fact they're one of the best teams in the series, could even mean he might be a surprise championship contender.

While I think Indycars are definitely the future for him, if he gets another season or two of junior formula action over here will do him no harm at all.

The thing is he been acting weird about it, he seemed rather open to the idea of driving for Penske if the opportunity came up on twitter.

I think his future within Indy has potential, agreed. I do get a vibe though that the other American, Alexander Rossi will likely be on a NASCAR starting grid before all is said and done though.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104079

Also, Eddie Cheever's son intrigues me regardless of the path he goes on. I think he has the best chance out of the three that we'll be seeing in Europe flying America's colors in F1.

Cygni posted:

People have been cheating in Autoracing forever.

fixed it for you.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

FuzzySkinner posted:

The thing is he been acting weird about it, he seemed rather open to the idea of driving for Penske if the opportunity came up on twitter.

I think his future within Indy has potential, agreed. I do get a vibe though that the other American, Alexander Rossi will likely be on a NASCAR starting grid before all is said and done though.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104079

Also, Eddie Cheever's son intrigues me regardless of the path he goes on. I think he has the best chance out of the three that we'll be seeing in Europe flying America's colors in F1.

Well let's be honest, if anyone at all interested in Indycar was offered a Penske seat they'd jump at it, regardless of where they may have thought they were heading. But if it was say between a part-time Foyt seat and WSR, he'd probably be better off sticking with WSR. If he can do well over here it might drum up some more sponsorship interest etc. Though to be fair to him he does get a decent bit of attention over here, though I think most of that is probably due to the fact he's Derek Daly's son.

I'd hope Rossi would end up in Indycar as I think he'd do well in it as watching him the past few years in WSR he's not half bad. He was a bit of a disappoint last year I have to admit though it seemed it took a while for Arden to come to grips with the new series and new car, and to be honest I think it was one year too many in the series too. But this year with any luck he'll continue his Caterham connections and end up in GP2. Probably the closest to F1, especially if some American company can whack in a few million or Caterham magics some money to burn, otherwise it'd be a shame to lose him to Nascar.

Cheever jr jr is still a bit of a question mark. Italian F3 hasn't exactly been a hotbed of talent (and has folded completely now I think) so it'll be interesting to see what he can do in a bit more challenging series. His name and Cheever's Italian connections should help him out at least.

Actually one more American everyone (well, myself at least) forgets about is Michael Lewis, another Italian F3 graduate who did not too bad in his first year of European F3 last year. Okay so not exactly steller but worthwhile keeping an eye on him.

And there's always Rosenzweig. Well I guess every country needs a pay driver or two. Future Coyne or HVM driver material.

Actually now you think about there is surprisingly a lot of Americans over here right now, something that just a few years ago wasn't the case. If they all ended up in an Indycar it'd be a very good thing for the series I'd say.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

interesting tidbits from Robin Miller

quote:

When Dan Gurney penned the “White Paper” in the late ‘70s, he addressed all the major problems and concerns facing USAC teams but he didn’t have the time, nor the desire to be the boss. That paper turned into CART and Penske and Pat Patrick were the lynchpins and spent some of their own money and controlled the decision making. But if The Captain had done as Bernie and just concentrated on running CART full-time it might have chewed up and spit out NASCAR. It got big in the ‘90s but, obviously, the split, taking CART public and consequently all the CART biggies jumping ship gutted open wheel racing. I’ve heard lately that Bernie might be interested in buying the Indianapolis Motor Speedway but I can’t imagine any scenario that has R.P. leaving his current life to try and run this jungle of lepers.

...To bernie? uhh...got news for your ICS, HG Family..once you sell that facility to Bernie? Your series is DEAD.

quote:

I spoke with him a couple weeks ago and he’s still working on trying to secure sponsorship so I just hope he gets to run the Indianapolis 500 with A.J. Allmendinger.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/arti...-mailbag-120/P3

Also a Shank update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jul 23, 2008

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

If Bernie buys IMS I will never watch Indycars or the Indy 500 again.

«131 »