Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«131 »
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Still less evil than the Hulman-George clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

Still less evil than the Hulman-George clan.

that's debatable considering the fact that Bernie was allegedly pushing for the creation of the IRL.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

It will be Scott Goodyear and a bowl of runny cottage cheese that has a funk and is past it's day but I mean we're not going to just throw it away and waste it, could you imagine what grandma would say she lived through the depression!

But no really, all the options are bad, brace yourself.

Scott Goodyear is only watchable because you can feel his misery at his lack of actual wins, especially in the 500.

Someone should kick Dario out of his seat and into the booth.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Well let's be honest, if anyone at all interested in Indycar was offered a Penske seat they'd jump at it, regardless of where they may have thought they were heading.

Except RHR

Col. Justice
Apr 14, 2007

TIME TO DIE

This is Andretti Autosports' goddamn season.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

FuzzySkinner posted:

that's debatable considering the fact that Bernie was allegedly pushing for the creation of the IRL.

It's not evil to try and run your competition out of business. It's just business. But running your family's cash cow into the ground and taking down American open-wheel racing with it? Now that's evil.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

If Bernie buys IMS I will never watch Indycars or the Indy 500 again.
I don't see the Hulmans still holding ownership of IMS 5 years from now, and I could see them selling out withing a season or two.

I'd imagine ISC would get it ahead of Bernie, though, but who knows.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

~*LEGACY*~

Col. Justice posted:

This is Andretti Autosports' goddamn season.

Well, that was last season, too.

go3
Dec 20, 2006

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I don't see the Hulmans still holding ownership of IMS 5 years from now, and I could see them selling out withing a season or two.

ISC having it would be the worst thing in the world

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I never said it was a good thing, just the most likely. NASCAR's got them by the short hairs with the 400 weekend making them money, and the Indycar series losing them money.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I don't know.

If..IMS is sold off, the series as it is now, or as it will be for the rest of it's existence will be dead.

Either NASCAR gets a hold of it, and turns it into even more of a pseudo Busch Series racing league, or Formula 1 takes it over and makes it into GP2 North America.

If NASCAR gets it, I can just as easily see the France family going "Eh, gently caress it, not worth the money", getting rid of the series, and leaving the Brickyard 400 as the only race on their calender.

If Bernie gets it, I have more of a feeling he won't dismantle it completely. Perhaps he even continues the 500 making a WDC points race, etc.

If I was Bernie, and I did try to do it, I'd divide up F1 into three/four divisions. Make a European division, a North American division, a South American division (with those two being merged if it would be easier), and a Oceania/Australia division, and then create about 2-3 events in each division that would count towards a unified world championship.

My theory would be Penske, Ganassi, Andretti, and yes, even Tony George would try to find a way to save the series and the speedway if it came down to it.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Barnhart screwed me, that's typical of him, he's always been a wanker.

No way in hell NASCAR would buy Indy and let the 500 die. My guess if it would come down to it is your last suggestion and what was trying to happen early in the offseason. They have the money and and the board I would think knows that Indy is in knowledgeable (term very loosly) hands rather than the other two. But no way in hell Bernie gets it, Indycar and ISC are going to allow Bernie to start getting a foot hold here.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If NASCAR buys IMS, I could see them turning IndyCars into an open-wheel version of Grand Am. Cheap tube frame open wheelers anyone?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Barnhart screwed me, that's typical of him, he's always been a wanker.

Devil's advocate for quick second, if ISC takes Indy and Indycar merges with NASCAR, Indycar now has all of ISC's tracks at there disposal now instead of being kept away. We've been all bitching about more oval tracks.

Or if Bernie bought it, I doubt he would be running the show, could he hire someone like Zak Brown to run the show, who knows racing management and is American so he knows the American audience much better than Bernie will ever will..

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'd kind of like to see a scenario where the series and IMS/ICS itself gets bought out by the Ganassi, Penske, Andretti group, and then they kind of did what CART did in it's heyday. Make it so that Stakeholders could possibly be groups like SMI, Mattco, ISC, Sponsors, and Manufacturers all have a stake in the organization, along with the teams themselves. Have a 9 panel board (3 owners, 3 track owners, 3 of the Manufacturers/Sponsors) voted on by all of those involved, and that board appoints a CEO/President along with several other positions.

The ICS unfortunately can't be governed like F1 or NASCAR, so this would likely be the best scenario.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The only real reason I won't ever support a ISC purchase of IndyCar is interior road courses. ISC would want IndyCar to run them, but they are loving poo poo and no IndyCar should ever run one again. If IndyCar were to go to Daytona, it should be on the banks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nummer 4????

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'd kind of like to see a scenario where the series and IMS/ICS itself gets bought out by the Ganassi, Penske, Andretti group, and then they kind of did what CART did in it's heyday.

fly the whole works into the mountain by bickering amongst themselves and running off sponsors and suppliers? That always seems to be the end-game whenever the inmates also run the asylum.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff's watching...

Cygni posted:

The only real reason I won't ever support a ISC purchase of IndyCar is interior road courses. ISC would want IndyCar to run them, but they are loving poo poo and no IndyCar should ever run one again. If IndyCar were to go to Daytona, it should be on the banks.

As much as I love plate racing in NASCAR and as much as I liked pack racing in IndyCar on cookie cutter tracks, Indy on the oval at Daytona would be scary as hell.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

fly the whole works into the mountain by bickering amongst themselves and running off sponsors and suppliers? That always seems to be the end-game whenever the inmates also run the asylum.

The hope would be that, that group would understand how grave of the situation would be, and that the "next" split or disagreement could lead to their sport not even existing anymore, or being under the NASCAR or FIA brand.

Under the model I proposed, it'd be extremely similar to how all 4 of the stick and ball sports are ran. The owners answer to say, Roger Goddell, and vice versa.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/arti...broadcast-times

Also, Milwaukee is up to 250 in terms of race length.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

The owners in other sports aren't 'independent contractors', either.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

gently caress me, i'll be missing Milwaukee, Iowa, and Pocono due to poo poo already on the calendar.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

He will talk about pushing the brakes back again and nobody will care. People have been cheating in IndyCar forever.

Yep, that's it, and Alex Lloyd put together an article including it on Jalopnik.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I sincerely wish Lloyd would get a ride for the 500 and write pieces about everything leading up to the month of may. Or make it into a book.

I look forward to each piece he writes.

http://www.diariomotorsport.com.br/...etti-autosport/

EJ Viso to Andretti.

Ehhh...Alright I guess. He does bring Citgo on board.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh yeah, it'd be loving awesome if he a) had a ride and b) kept writing for Jalopnik the entire time.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of Viso driving for Michael. Wonder if Citgo pays per crash too.

be nice wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Did one of you go to Baltimore last year? How was it?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

~*LEGACY*~

Aw I was hoping for Ana Beatriz in the Andretti seat (long shot, I know).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nummer 4????

FuzzySkinner posted:

The hope would be that, that group would understand how grave of the situation would be, and that the "next" split or disagreement could lead to their sport not even existing anymore, or being under the NASCAR or FIA brand.

Under the model I proposed, it'd be extremely similar to how all 4 of the stick and ball sports are ran. The owners answer to say, Roger Goddell, and vice versa.

except wasn't that what they were supposed to do with Randy Bernard? And look what happened. I don't want to be cynical, but these very owners have proven they can't run their own poo poo. plus the ownership models of stick-and-ball sports versus racing make things very, very different.

however I am looking forward to this year! because last year was really, really good. and because I love these stupid little cars.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

harperdc posted:

except wasn't that what they were supposed to do with Randy Bernard? And look what happened. I don't want to be cynical, but these very owners have proven they can't run their own poo poo. plus the ownership models of stick-and-ball sports versus racing make things very, very different.

Well, yes and no. For the most part, sports leagues are run by a collective of the owners. Sports commissioners actually represent the owners, not necessarily the sport or its players. (Notice which side Goodell and Bettman were on during the last few lockouts.) But you're 100% correct that owners can't be left to their own devices, or else they'll spend themselves into bankruptcy--which is exactly the thing that lost half of the NHL season this year.

But I know what you're talking about. It's not as if a rich owner with the resources to do so could field an NFL or MLB team just because he wanted to, but that's exactly what you can do in auto racing. Doing this gives the owner a certain kind of power, like "let us have our way or you won't have the cars to make a racing series anymore" kind of power. But at least with regular sports, an owner is contractually obligated to field a team.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Marshall Pruett is claiming Viso/Andretti is not a done deal yet. Also, some changes to the Iowa qualifying heat races.

I think the increased points payout for the third qualifying heat, plus the bump positions from the previous two heats, should make it a good deal more interesting than the mostly snoozefest qualifying heats last year.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm kind of pulling for Briscoe to go to Andretti. 8 wins, including a pole at Indy would certainly strengthen the team. If they want to bring home another victory at Indy, he would certainly help. Remember, Ganassi's top two were just toying with the field last year despite KV and Rahal Drivers making individual runs at them.

IF, Andretti can have say, 2 of their cars up near the top during the final laps that would certainly help things. Having Briscoe (two top 5's and a pole), RHR (series champion now, and staying put), Hinch (up and comer), and Marco (runs solid at Indy prior to melting down) certainly helps the odds.

I'm still curious as to whom AJ is trying to add per Robin Miller.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nummer 4????

WindyMan posted:

Well, yes and no. For the most part, sports leagues are run by a collective of the owners. Sports commissioners actually represent the owners, not necessarily the sport or its players. (Notice which side Goodell and Bettman were on during the last few lockouts.) But you're 100% correct that owners can't be left to their own devices, or else they'll spend themselves into bankruptcy--which is exactly the thing that lost half of the NHL season this year.

yep -- I'm well aware what side of the players/owners coins guys like Goodell and the Angel of Stern fall on, but the tradition in stick-and-ball sports is respect for a strong commissioner, too. That tradition doesn't exist in racing because of EXACTLY what you mention -- scarcity of spaces. Anyone can back a truck up and get a racing team going and into a league right away, but hell, even people with legitimate oil tankers worth of money can't necessarily get into certain sports (the tale of Mark Cuban and the Cubs is murky but let's just use that as a base-line example).

I doubt Briscoe will go to Andretti because I don't think he brings enough money along. Andretti doesn't need it as much, but we're talking about a fourth car here, I'm not sure Michael can afford to pay that many drivers and staff without somebody bringing a sugar daddy along.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Man... why can't Indycar be as cool as it was back in the day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw2O6JRAIR4

...or not!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

You'd think something that embarrassing would get you out of a DUI or two, some drunkenness is perfectly understandable after being associated with something like that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

After the france family buys IndyCar, here's what we'll be left with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB6ELka-uVI

harperdc posted:

I doubt Briscoe will go to Andretti because I don't think he brings enough money along. Andretti doesn't need it as much, but we're talking about a fourth car here, I'm not sure Michael can afford to pay that many drivers and staff without somebody bringing a sugar daddy along.

There has to be someone game for sponsoring the guy. Wonder if Aussie Vineyards would like back in.

I'm really interested in seeing where he ends up, and if someone indeed takes Roger's third seat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh god I'd forgotten about that.

Hinch needs to spoof on that, like yesterday.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

FuzzySkinner posted:

There has to be someone game for sponsoring the guy. Wonder if Aussie Vineyards would like back in.
Perhaps for the race at Surfers Para - Oh.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

NO ATTACK NO CHANCE

FuzzySkinner posted:

Because if I'm gonna want someone to advertise my product, it's Ryan Briscoe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLHh2lSRWDY

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

quote:

Alex Lloyd charged from 26th to fourth in the 2010 Indianapolis 500 for Dale Coyne’s team. Bertrand Baguette almost stole the 2011 Indy 500 for Bobby Rahal. And Conor Daly was impressive in his first IndyCar test at Sebring last month for A.J. Foyt.

One of those drivers will likely end up teaming with Takuma Sato this May for Foyt’s annual run at Indianapolis. Up until yesterday, it looked like one of the boys could be in the No. 41 car for the entire season, but in the latest twist, it doesn’t appear that Super Tex will be fielding a second car full-time in the 2013 IZOD IndyCar season.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/arti...r-second-entry/

Lloyd getting a seat? .

Would be awesome to see him to continue to write for jalopnik if it's he who gets the ride.

EDIT: Word is they're to make the one out of every one of the races of the double headers standing starts. ChampCART did that in their dying days.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at Jan 23, 2013 around 03:29

LordPants
Mar 5, 2011

Four more years boys, four more years.

FuzzySkinner posted:

1) No Surfers race.
2) No coverage in Australia on free-to-air. (Free to air or die down here)
3) The guy behind Team Australia is bankrupt. Or "disputing bankruptcy" whatever the gently caress that means.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nummer 4????

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm really interested in seeing where he ends up, and if someone indeed takes Roger's third seat.

Aussie Vineyards was Walker Racing and Will Power! and probably somebody who's found out you can make a small fortune in racing by starting with a much larger one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

gret posted:

If NASCAR buys IMS, I could see them turning IndyCars into an open-wheel version of Grand Am. Cheap tube frame open wheelers anyone?

You couldn't make such a car safe on at that track at 220+ mph. And for god's sake people, calm down, Bernie is *not* going to buy IMS.

«131 »