Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«131 »
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=_ghqwe2Zd1w

Josef Newgarden is a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

quote:

Jenna Fryer ‏@JennaFryer
AJ on #IndyCar management, "phew, I think I'm going to back off that, too."
Expand

And Foyt on @TakumaSatoRacer "He's got some kamikaze in him" and AJ wants him to finish 10th when he has a 10th-place car.

Foyt on Smoke/Penske "I don't think he'd be doing himself justice, but I think he could win the Indy 500, it'd be a great seat for him"

Foyt says he's looking at 3-4 people for Indy 500, but not @ConorDaly22 because "it wouldn't be fair to bring him in for 1 race like that."

AJ Foyt takes "the 5th, I've been married 59 years so I'm going to take the 5th" when asked about SparkleHouse

Supertex .

I wish sincerely they'd make one last run at Smoke. I wish AJ, Mario and Penske would come together, beg for him to do it, and then he'd come back and win the race. The dream 500.

Sebastian Vettel
Jul 1, 2012

A ring ding ding ding ding

Say hello to the next IndyCar sensation. (Also, I don't know much about IndyCar but aren't Chip Ganassi Racing and Andretti Autosport quite good? Why are they talking to Narain Karthikeyan?)

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Let's see what Tomas Scheckter is up to nowadays...

Did Tomas ever drop his bomb?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

No more Paul Tracy in IndyCar he's hung it up for good.

Good news though if you're a Indy fan in Canada though, he's working on the broadcast team.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kwik posted:

Did Tomas ever drop his bomb?

Yeah, Alex Lloyd wrote about it too. It was just bitching about brake-pad pushback for qualifying.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Graham Gremlin posted:

Say hello to the next IndyCar sensation. (Also, I don't know much about IndyCar but aren't Chip Ganassi Racing and Andretti Autosport quite good? Why are they talking to Narain Karthikeyan?)

Both have empty 3rd/4th cars that would gladly take somebody with money that wont be a liability. Really, any team on the grid would take his money to add a car.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Cygni posted:

Both have empty 3rd/4th cars that would gladly take somebody with money that wont be a liability. Really, any team on the grid would take his money to add a car.

Yeah Karthikeyan brings a lot of rupees with him courtesy of Tata that I'd imagine would keep almost any Indycar team happy. It'd be a cheaper option by far compared to however much they must've been paying to keep Narain in his F1 seat.

Of course in an ideal world Tata would get more involved, cut some cheques and do a deal with Judd to rebrand their engine as a Jag. Now that'd be some good advertisement (well after a lot more development time at least). Ah well, I can dream.

Cannot Find Server
Aug 13, 2008

Graham Gremlin posted:

As I recall, he didn't do terrible in NASCAR. Not great, but I would feel better putting him in a car than EJ Viso anyway,

Sebastian Vettel
Jul 1, 2012

A ring ding ding ding ding

Cygni posted:

Oh, is there no limit to the number of cars? How does that work with the teams championship? Only first two finishers get points? I guess he'd be worth it just for the money then. I don't remember him getting in too many ridiculous incidents that would make him more trouble than he's worth. There was some incident with Vettel that led to him being labelled a gherkin or something.

Cannot Find Server posted:

As I recall, he didn't do terrible in NASCAR. Not great, but I would feel better putting him in a car than EJ Viso anyway,

Again, as a total outsider, wouldn't past open wheel form be more telling, at least as far as road courses go anyway. When you see the guys jump over from F1 or the feeder series they tend to end up in IndyCars.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Graham Gremlin posted:

Oh, is there no limit to the number of cars? How does that work with the teams championship? Only first two finishers get points?

Don't really have a team championship, just a driver and an engine championship. So extra cars with pay drivers just mean more data per race, more bullets in the gun, and more total cash. Especially if they aren't totally terrible and can at least chip in some top 10s from time to time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Narain Karthikeyan would be a good addition, if he has the cash.

As a fan I just want as many competitors as possible. I don't want to be ChampCART in it's dying days where there were 18 drivers at a time at any given race (the lack of ovals, and increase street races have me even more concerned about that). Get me to 26 or above? And I'll be happy.

I want Andretti with 4 cars, Ganassi with 4 cars, Penske with 3, Rahal with 2, SSM with 2, and Dale Coyne with 2.

I'm also hoping that Shank somehow makes something happen, along with the rumored HVM 3 team deal including the one deal they want to do with EJ Viso.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SSM will announce their second car tomorrow. Vautier expected to be in the seat. Briscoe apparently has another deal.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

RLL adding a 2nd car for Long Beach for Mike "Fontana Scares me but I won at Long Beach" Conway!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If I had Conway's track record of heinously nasty wrecks on ovals, I'd be scared of them too. The only reason he deserves any level of poo poo is because Indycar's roots are still oval racing, even if it's showing up as precious few of the actual races these days.

Also, surprised nobody posted Simona's new car yet - sure looks nice.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Looks like a flying toilet seat.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Conway's one of those "I was quite good in Europe, but could never play politics right to get into Formula 1" sort of types. He actually won the GP3 title a few years back if I'm not mistaken.

look, there's some folks from the European school of driving who just pick it up rather quickly. Dario, Lionheart, get/got it. Some don't. Hell, Nelson Piquet, a 3 TIME WORLD CHAMPION in Formula 1 had trouble at Indy.

But yeah, he gets the Kenny Brack pass from me. Meaning, I don't blame him for not wanting to race again after such an accident.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

FuzzySkinner posted:

Conway's one of those "I was quite good in Europe, but could never play politics right to get into Formula 1" sort of types. He actually won the GP3 title a few years back if I'm not mistaken.

British F3 champion actually! While I couldn't tell you about his dealings politics wise, I will say I thought he simply wasn't quite good enough to get an F1 seat talent wise, though can't have been thought of too badly since Honda had him as a test driver for a wee bit. Actually I always rated Adam Carroll a bit higher than Conway, just a shame that apart from a handful of races we never saw him in Indycars.

Honestly I'd say it's not even a European driver thing, I wouldn't be surprised if there's been many an American driver, maybe even former stock car drivers used to smaller less high speed ovals, who've tried their hand in a Indycar and went, "nope, not for me thanks!". Especially if they ended up having the kind of experiences Conway has had. Breaking a couple of vertebrae is bound to make any person have a doubt or two. Though he gets full credit for telling Foyt he wasn't driving anymore, surely that takes some balls.

And not really digging that new colour scheme for Simona. It looked better when the same colours were used on the mid-90s Minardi.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Belle Isle in Detroit is probably going to become a state park next week, and I had wondered if it would affect the Grand Prix. That led me to check a news article that had Penske really supporting the move, so I figure it is in good hands.

That led me to check ticket prices, and well... its pretty reasonable. Paddock passes, yeah?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

That led me to check ticket prices, and well... its pretty reasonable. Paddock passes, yeah?

Probably like Mid-Ohio, great atmosphere, great event to attend..would not be one I'd want to watch on TV though. I'd totally go though.

Interesting topic to bring up about Marco.

I had noticed in the "IndyCar Crashes and Conflicts" video, that within Andretti during the stretch of 06-08ish, Marco really seemed to cause quite a bit in terms of problems, and Dario/TK both seemed kind of annoyed at him and Danica. Do you think those two somewhat disrupted team chemistry?

Which brings me to my next point. What does Marco have to do put himself in the position to win more races? He doesn't seem like he's patient enough at times and that seems to hurt him as a racecar driver.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Barnhart screwed me, that's typical of him, he's always been a wanker.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Which brings me to my next point. What does Marco have to do put himself in the position to win more races? He doesn't seem like he's patient enough at times and that seems to hurt him as a racecar driver.

Lack of patience... and an Andretti? Well that's a shock. He definitely doesn't have the abilities of his father or grandfather easily, but yeah it's lack of patience of the car and of the crew. You saw him get very temperamental at his crew at Indy and where did he end up? Doesn't help that he has the Andretti name and has the pressure to perform like one and he probably is trying way too loving hard to be Michael or Mario. No way in hell he will come close to what they've done. He needs to calm down, get away from the Andretti shadow and just race as best as he can and make with what he can do and probably get better communication with his crew without flying off the handle.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff's watching...

IOwnCalculus posted:

If I had Conway's track record of heinously nasty wrecks on ovals, I'd be scared of them too. The only reason he deserves any level of poo poo is because Indycar's roots are still oval racing, even if it's showing up as precious few of the actual races these days.

Also, surprised nobody posted Simona's new car yet - sure looks nice.

This team. Best team.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

He needs to calm down, get away from the Andretti shadow and just race as best as he can and make with what he can do and probably get better communication with his crew without flying off the handle.

Aw, but then who would I laugh at on the scanner?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Aw, but then who would I laugh at on the scanner?

Foyt and Sato?

I guess Andretti has been trying to emulate RHR over the offsason, trying to be more like him, and less like his own style.

Which is smart, if you look at the guys who generally have won the race within the past 10 years or so, they've been actually really boring, cool, collected guys. Look at Dixon, Dario, Dan, and even historically guys like Al Unser and Rick Mears. If Marco wants to win, that's who he has to emulate, not his dad or grandfather.

Speaking of those two, it just came to me, how many times that when the "Andretti Curse" has kicked in, it's actually been in losing to Team Penske

-1981, Mario gets the 500 taken away by Bobby Unser, a driver for Roger Penske.
-1985, Spin and Win, Danny Sullivan saves a potential diastarous crash and winds up winning the race for...Roger Penske
-1987, Mario dominates the race only to be beaten by Al Unser driving a hotel show room car driven for...Roger Penske
-1991, Michael Andretti out duels Rick Mears on the restart..only to have Rick Mears take it right back for him, winning his 4th Indy 500, for, you guessed it, Roger Penske
-2006, Marco Andretti loses to Sam Hornish Jr. in one of the closest 500's ever, the car is yet again driven for...Roger Penske

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

Not bad, not bad at all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

~*LEGACY*~

That is a sexy automobile.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Somewhat reminiscent of the Duracell car Raul Boesel drove.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

That's not how you spell Pennzoil!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gret posted:

Somewhat reminiscent of the Duracell car Raul Boesel drove.

Indeed, and that is a Good Thing. Loved that Duracell livery.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Barnhart screwed me, that's typical of him, he's always been a wanker.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

That's not how you spell Pennzoil!

Yeah it's making me think more of Pennzoil than Duracell. Probably the yellow is closer to the yellow in Pennzoil than the yellowish-orange Duracell.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was kind of hoping with the Valvoline sponsorship they'd bring back this livery:

But that is a drat good looking car.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

devmd01 posted:

Not bad, not bad at all.

Yellow/Gold and black = Best race car colors

Prove me wrong.

Minto Took
Dec 4, 2002

RAVAGE ME SAGAN

be nice wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Counterpoint:

The Gulf colors have been so overused that I think "powder blue and orange" on a race car takes away from it a little bit.

But it helps if you have, say, an Aston Martin V12 as your engine. Then it gets some points back.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://www.people.com/people/articl...0669270,00.html

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hope Dario's alright.

He is seriously a good guy.

the first comment on the article is kind of dead on, she's quoted as saying as much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hot drat, I can now not feel bad if he wins #4, just because it won't have Ashley showing us that she can count higher than three.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

The race is ruined! Now I can't root for goon posting meltdowns. I guess they could always reconcile in time for a big press junket before the race!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh I'd rather nearly anyone else win. Just no more stupid goddamn Ashley.

«131 »