Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«131 »
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

~*LEGACY*~

Because he used to drive a Honda????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

kidcoelacanth posted:

Because he used to drive a Honda????

For some reason I thought his racesuit looked like a GoDaddy racesuit.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Aight so we got

Chevy - 13
Andretti - RHR
Andretti - Marco
Andretti - Hinch
Andretti - ? (maybe partial deals piled up?)
Penske - Power
Penske - HCN
KV - TK
KV - Simona
Panther - Hildebrand
Panther/DRR - Servia
Dragon - Seabass
Dragon - Kat
Ed - Ed

Honda - 10
Ganassi - Dixon
Ganassi - Franchitti
Ganassi - Kimball
SSM - Sipag
SSM - Vautier
RLL - Rahal
Foyt - Sato
Herta - Tag
Coyne - Wilson (probably, unsigned)
SFHR - Newgarden

Dudes with money and no confirmed seat yet but are coming back:
Viso
Jakes

So looks like full fields again next year. Honda's situation doesnt look great honestly. They really need RLL or Herta to get a second car to match that Chevy multicar onslaught.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff's watching...

What's the latest on Shank? I saw the other day that he wants to take two DPs to wherever the next Grand-Am race is, which would be reviving his second Rolex team.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CBJSprague24 posted:

What's the latest on Shank? I saw the other day that he wants to take two DPs to wherever the next Grand-Am race is, which would be reviving his second Rolex team.

He sold his IndyCars. It's dead.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Aight so we got

Chevy - 13
Andretti - RHR
Andretti - Marco
Andretti - Hinch
Andretti - ? (maybe partial deals piled up?)
Penske - Power
Penske - HCN
KV - TK
KV - Simona
Panther - Hildebrand
Panther/DRR - Servia
Dragon - Seabass
Dragon - Kat
Ed - Ed

Honda - 10
Ganassi - Dixon
Ganassi - Franchitti
Ganassi - Kimball
SSM - Sipag
SSM - Vautier
RLL - Rahal
Foyt - Sato
Herta - Tag
Coyne - Wilson (probably, unsigned)
SFHR - Newgarden

Dudes with money and no confirmed seat yet but are coming back:
Viso
Jakes

So looks like full fields again next year. Honda's situation doesnt look great honestly. They really need RLL or Herta to get a second car to match that Chevy multicar onslaught.

Ganassi is working on a 4th team, so add that into the mix. Cavin said that the Penske 3rd ride isn't looking as plausible, but I guess soon after he said that some engineer from Penske told him that wasn't the case. Also Foyt wants to run a 2nd or 3rd car, and HVM may still come back.

Scheckter was hinting in tweets this week he wants to run the 500. Conor Daly wants to run the 500 this year as well, said something to the effect that spending time in europe this season wasn't dead as well though. So possibly put him in the column for a one-off.

There were some weird rumblings that I guess Timo Glock was willing to give it a go (per some user at TF who claimed it was talked about in germany), but that has tapered off. Narain Karthikeyan seems like he's slotted for the 4th Ganassi car.

Briscoe..still doesn't have a ride. If I'm a team looking for a driver, he'd be at the top of my list.

And then there's the fact that 'Dinger only has a part time deal. Jayski said the schedule he's expected to follow is this:

Phoenix
Bristol
Auto Club
Martinsville

'Dinger would miss two ICS races, but would be back in time to perhaps run Long Beach (a course he'd probably be comfortable with having run in ChampCART, and the Atlantics). I imagine he's trying to win out over Austin Dillon or Regan Smith (which are better stockcar drivers), or until another seat opens up either in Busch or Cup.

Doubtful, but it would rock to see that guy in the series.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at Feb 2, 2013 around 07:08

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

FuzzySkinner posted:

Scheckter was hinting in tweets this week he wants to run the 500. Conor Daly wants to run the 500 this year as well, said something to the effect that spending time in europe this season wasn't dead as well though. So possibly put him in the column for a one-off.

There were some weird rumblings that I guess Timo Glock was willing to give it a go (per some user at TF who claimed it was talked about in germany), but that has tapered off. Narain Karthikeyan seems like he's slotted for the 4th Ganassi car.

Taking a quick look at the calenders, if Daly gets his WSR seat it seems the race in Monaco is on at the same weekend as Indy this year so you can rule him out then I'm afraid.

That's the first I heard of Glock heading back to the States, every news outlet over this side of the Atlantic has him going to DTM, especially after his recent test in a BMW. It probably pays a hell of a lot better than Indycar too I'm afraid.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Taking a quick look at the calenders, if Daly gets his WSR seat it seems the race in Monaco is on at the same weekend as Indy this year so you can rule him out then I'm afraid.

That's the first I heard of Glock heading back to the States, every news outlet over this side of the Atlantic has him going to DTM, especially after his recent test in a BMW. It probably pays a hell of a lot better than Indycar too I'm afraid.

Not only talking, he's (Timo) confirmed signed for BMW in the DTM.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Dudley posted:

Not only talking, he's (Timo) confirmed signed for BMW in the DTM.

Ah well there we go! I thought he had just run a test for them. I should've noticed that news from the end of last month (well I probably would have if it wasn't for Autosports 50 views thing! drat you Autosport!)

Cannot Find Server
Aug 13, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Scheckter was hinting in tweets this week he wants to run the 500.

Oh please god no

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

~*LEGACY*~

Is Viso still looking like the Andretti 4th car, or have we not heard anything more on that front?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

~*LEGACY*~

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.rahal.com/Indynews/Jakes2013

Jakesy to Rahal Letterman

I guess they're running 3 Cars at Long Beach.

I'm still shocked Briscoe hasn't gotten a ride. An Indy polesitter, with 2 top 5's at the 500, and 8 career wins?

Instant asset to any team that would have him.

EDIT: Rumors have him going to Dragon and Katherine Legge racing for HVM.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Worried about Coyne at this point...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

Is Viso still looking like the Andretti 4th car, or have we not heard anything more on that front?

Cavin seems to be treating it as a done deal.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

HVM will have a car next year, combo with another team. Rumor is that it's Legge and her sponsor.

With Coyne's two, that's 25 full time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hamilton/HP money is indeed sticking with Schmidt, so the two-car stable is apparently going to be one SHM car for Pagenaud and one SPM car for Vautier.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

http://m.jalopnik.com/5982140/this-...dium=socialflow

Everyone read this now, I got goosebumps.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...-IndyCar-020613

gently caress YES!

quote:

Allmendinger, 31, will test an IndyCar for Penske Racing at Sebring International Raceway on Feb. 18 and 19. If the test is successful, Allmendinger will make his open-wheel debut for Penske Racing at Barber Motorsports Park on April 7.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Viso confirmed, running an Andretti/HVM entry. Hence the hiring of Michael Cannon.

Gives us 26 full time if Coyne's 2 and Dragon/Legge happen. And as many as 28 at Long Beach with Conway and Dinger.

Speaking of Dinger, his contract with Finch is only through March 24, which would explain why he may not make his first start until Barber. I imagine if Finch wants to extend him, he would pull the plug on the IndyCar deal.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Viso confirmed, running an Andretti/HVM entry. Hence the hiring of Michael Cannon.

Gives us 26 full time if Coyne's 2 and Dragon/Legge happen. And as many as 28 at Long Beach with Conway and Dinger.

Speaking of Dinger, his contract with Finch is only through March 24, which would explain why he may not make his first start until Barber. I imagine if Finch wants to extend him, he would pull the plug on the IndyCar deal.

I kind of hope there some sort of back room deal between RP and him, something along the lines of

"Listen, you race for me 2 years in IndyCar, and I'll let you have a seat in NASCAR, deal?".

As for Phoenix, wouldn't that team be better off running Regan Smith or Austin Dillon anyway?

Regan has a win in Nationwide and Sprint, and Austin Dillon is a potential young driver you could build yourself up with.

Or is RCR looking to give Dillon a ride fairly soon?

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

GHOST OF GOLDUSTS PAST

FuzzySkinner posted:

I kind of hope there some sort of back room deal between RP and him, something along the lines of

"Listen, you race for me 2 years in IndyCar, and I'll let you have a seat in NASCAR, deal?".

As for Phoenix, wouldn't that team be better off running Regan Smith or Austin Dillon anyway?

Regan has a win in Nationwide and Sprint, and Austin Dillon is a potential young driver you could build yourself up with.

Or is RCR looking to give Dillon a ride fairly soon?

Jeff Burton is all but known to be seat-warming for Dillon until his grandpappy feels he's ready for the big boys.

PS and Reminder: Austin and Ty are both Richard's grandsons they're not going ANYWHERE else.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

EJ Viso posted:

All of their logos will be on the car, and it will also be seen in our entry name, which will be PDVSA Team Venezuela/Andretti Autosport. A few more names could also be added.

That is the longest team name ever, and it might get longer.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Better off with anyone with the

The details out of the Allmendinger press release are interesting. He was out of the car last year, and still got paid for the end of the season and wasn't outright fired? Reading between the lines, it's a bit of a middle finger to NASCAR.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at Feb 8, 2013 around 00:02

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/user/HinchVision?feature=watch

I found the loving motherload.

Hinch

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Better off with anyone with the

The details out of the Allmendinger press release are interesting. He was out of the car last year, and still got paid for the end of the season and wasn't outright fired? Reading between the lines, it's a bit of a middle finger to NASCAR.

Yeah, I'm definitly figuring he's going to be gone by next year, and if not then, a year after that.

Which..I'm okay with. I think if he comes back, it'll be beneficial to the series and his career.

Now if he's in for the long term? Even better. I think he has the talent and the team to possibly be a force within IndyCar.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So I guess there was/is rumblings of John Menard wanting to come back to Indy as an owner, so much that people saw him at the Dallas factory in Indy. But I guess he's rather annoyed at the fact it's more of a spec. series now, and is reluctant to come back (so I guess the current version of the ICS is more CART than IRL?).

I wish that Team would come back.

Fag Boy Jim
Oct 7, 2007

unban longavs

FuzzySkinner posted:

So I guess there was/is rumblings of John Menard wanting to come back to Indy as an owner, so much that people saw him at the Dallas factory in Indy. But I guess he's rather annoyed at the fact it's more of a spec. series now, and is reluctant to come back (so I guess the current version of the ICS is more CART than IRL?).

What, you mean the IRL that basically spent the last seven or eight years as a spec series?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

gently caress John Menard jesus loving christ.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Thinking of going to Mid-Ohio this year for Indycars and Nationwide. Any suggestions/advice/tips?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mid-Ohio first off, is an excellent track to see an event live. There's a lot of history behind it, and from the sounds of it, it's a great place to camp out for the weekend.

The best places to catch action if you don't have a camper is either Turn 1 or between Turn 6 and 7.

I'm not sure for NASCAR, but for Indy, the fan village is excellent. Please...please hit that up. You won'r regret it.

Getting to the track is a bit unusual as it's really out in the middle of nowhere, expect to see a lot of farms on your way in.

I'm not sure if Mid-Ohio is hosting ALMS in it's swan song season...but if it is and it's on the same weekend as Indy (which it has been the last couple of times), it definitly makes that weekend more worth going to than the NASCAR one.

It's not to say that seeing Nationwide wouldn't be great, but to see two series in one weekend is amazingly cool in my opinion.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at Feb 10, 2013 around 20:15

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

http://www.mugellocircuit.it/it/eventi/gare.html

quote:

15.09.2013 Indy Car Series

Huh.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Huh indeed.

It is odd though that it has a single date while every other event has a weekend-sized range.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at Feb 11, 2013 around 14:16

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

Probably don't have the schedule nailed down yet, or it's still up in the air. Pretty sure Indycar has denied the existence of plans to go there, but we all know how that worked out with Randy Bernard.

posted in nascar thread but possibly more relevant here: http://www.racer.com/indianapolis-m...article/279818/

Nighttime 500,

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Curt Cavin posted:

There won't be an #IndyCar race at Mugello in 2013. Officials here say "that should be coming off the website."
Welp, that's that!

devmd01 posted:

Nighttime 500,

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Barnhart screwed me, that's typical of him, he's always been a wanker.

devmd01 posted:

Nighttime 500,

I'd say it would be a cool idea if they aren't going head-to-head to NASCAR on purpose. Or in a cool way work with NASCAR and have a day time 600 and night time 500. Weather I'd think be a lot better since you guys have been roasting in hell the past 2 years and if weather is crappy, you got nighttime to run in.

Actually best would be a quick 300 mile sprint race as an Indianapolis finale in October.

Makes me wonder, will NASCAR try to bring the 400 back to Saturday to nighttime, sports cars doing a longer endurance race into the night at Indy. This could be something pretty cool.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dsriggs posted:

Welp, that's that!

Sounds like they got pretty far into negotiations if they had it on the list for the webteam, though. Or it's just a ploy to see what sort of interest it drums up.

I don't want to run at Mugello unless the race loses a TON of money, because gently caress Ferrari thats why.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think Mugello would have been an amazing event. The track itself seems like it'd be perfect for IndyCar.

Indy REALLY needs to expand past the US. I'm not saying go the ChampCar route, but they really need at least one race in Europe, one race in Mexico, another race in Canada (Calgary, or Quebec), one race in Australia and one race in Japan.

I wonder if Rockingham would be game like in 2014? I mean, it's an oval which would be something unique to show the European race fans, and it's within a country where Indy already has a strong footprint in terms of drivers.

Hopefully someone is game for hosting one race in September (Michigan, looking at you).

In terms of putting in lights? I guess. The Brickyard 400 has really lust it's prestige recently. It's literally just another race with little to implication towards any given driver. So it really needs any sort of help it can get.

I'm not too thrilled at the idea of hosting a 2nd Indy race because my bet would be that the attendance would be sparse compared to the 500. If Formula 1 would come back I think that would be cool, but I really doubt that, to many burnt bridges.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

If you can get a partner like Fedex to defray/cover the costs of shipping teams/cars around the world and have a reliable tv partner with web streaming, why the gently caress not go overseas?

I'm not saying the majority of races should be overseas, as it's not economically feasible to do so, but why not go to where the drivers/sponsors are from? There's plenty of good tracks that could host a race overseas.

That being said, going halfway across the world for a lovely street course (I'm looking at you, Brazil) isn't worth it.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at Feb 11, 2013 around 19:31

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Brazil is worth it just for the sheer driver rage it induced in 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

And, first turn hilarity aside now that they have the track surface issues cleared up a bit, it's actually a petty decent street course

«131 »