Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«131 »
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

If you can get a partner like Fedex to defray/cover the costs of shipping teams/cars around the world and have a reliable tv partner with web streaming, why the gently caress not go overseas?

I'm not saying the majority of races should be overseas, as it's not economically feasible to do so, but why not go to where the drivers/sponsors are from? There's plenty of good tracks that could host a race overseas.

That being said, going halfway across the world for a lovely street course (I'm looking at you, Brazil) isn't worth it.

DHL Perhaps?

Any event in Brazil is worthwhile due to the fact that a good portion of your history is now intertwined with Brazilians

This is a country that elevated Aryton Senna to an almost god-like level, so obviously they are fairly crazy about Auto Racing.

Emerson Fittipaldi, Christian Fittipaldi, Gil De Ferren, Maurício Gugelmin, Raul Boesel, and Cristiano da Matta all having left their mark in the history books in terms of wins, championships and Indy 500's.

Right now? You got Helio, and TK as consistent contenders, not to mention a wide variety of drivers from other S. American countries.

Could they do better? Yeah, no doubt. But they NEED that event.

But I'm in agreement. NASCAR has a stranglehold of every market within the US with the exception of Indianapolis. They don't have much outside of the borders though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don't like the fly away races and I think it makes the series spread themselves too thin. 2-3 flyaways (including Surfers and a Brazil race) on a 22 race schedule are fine, but even 4-5 non NAFTA races are a bad bad idea in my opinion.

People in the US dont watch the tape delay races, and the sponsors may not even do business in that country killing the B2B aspect. So the two things a sponsor actually cares about.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

People in the USA aren't watching the races live either, how much damage can it do?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

People in the USA aren't watching the races live either, how much damage can it do?

A lot. Most sponsors refuse to pay for fly away races. So unless the promoter will pay the difference for the teams (like Honda did in Japan), it's a money loser for them all... well and an incredible pain in the rear end.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

I don't like the fly away races and I think it makes the series spread themselves too thin. 2-3 flyaways (including Surfers and a Brazil race) on a 22 race schedule are fine, but even 4-5 non NAFTA races are a bad bad idea in my opinion.

People in the US dont watch the tape delay races, and the sponsors may not even do business in that country killing the B2B aspect. So the two things a sponsor actually cares about.

2-3 is fine, and about the target I'm looking at.

Sao Paulo isn't so insanely out of the television range so you could probably do that in Jan/Feb, not having to worry all that much about it.

You could do Rockingham in September and Surfers in October, spacing them out enough so that the teams get a chance to rest/get things in order.

As for the NAFTA races? Hell, I'd go for 4 in Canada, and 1 in Mexico. Bernie for some reason keeps not giving a Grand Prix to Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, and judging by the amount of Mexican race fans at Austin that's a HUGE untapped market.

Perfect race to have in Jan/Feb.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at Feb 11, 2013 around 23:42

be nice wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Races in Canada and Mexico and even Brazil are great specifically because of the time zones. Europe is a bad idea for IndyCar. It's never ever ever ever ever ever going to do anything in the European market, ever. Waste of time and money.

Minto Took
Dec 4, 2002

RAVAGE ME SAGAN

IndyCar to Europe is like F1 to the United States.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

N: Brian Barnhardt is rumored to become the Indycar CEO, replacing Randy Bernard.
V:

Racers and sanctioning bodies can be so loving stupid sometimes all the loving time.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Somebody make sure Robin Miller hasn't died of a massive heart attack yet.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I was just thinking Indycar was due to gently caress something up with Indiana good 'ol boy bullshit.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

We need Paul Tracy as the series CEO, not the man who took away his Indy 500 victory.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

N: Brian Barnhardt is rumored to become the Indycar CEO, replacing Randy Bernard.

doesn't begin to describe that.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Why is Barnhardt bad?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Barnhart screwed me, that's typical of him, he's always been a wanker.

^^^My avatar (New Hampshire when it was pouring rain decided to let the cars take the green flag, after it was under caution for rain lighter than the start, and many other really lovely calls.)

The guy who is reporting this is John Oreovicz, who I've heard can be unreliable. Oh god please be wrong for the sake of everyone. If he becomes CEO, every time Will wins, he needs to do what he did in my av. Actually every time he is on camera, double birds until Barnhart literally leaves the sport and never is seen again.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Why is Barnhardt bad?

I don't know, why don't you ask 2002 Indianapolis 500 Champion Paul Tracy about him?

Fag Boy Jim
Oct 7, 2007

unban longavs

Peanut President posted:

Why is Barnhardt bad?

he's a moron

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

It's sad that a buyout by George and the teams is looking so much better than what Indycars are giving us now.

e: It's exploding on twitter. Just type in Robin Miller and we're all hoping it's ICS trolling the poo poo out of him. I think we'll probably hear Miller's scream from anywhere in the US when he finds out.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2013 around 03:29

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

It's sad that a buyout by George and the teams is looking so much better than what Indycars are giving us now.

Had that happened, I believe the series would have ultimately become CART 2.0.

I still would trust those guys to do the right thing. Andretti, Penske, Ganassi and even George have too much invested in American Open Wheel to see it be sold to NASCAR or Formula 1 where their roles would be marginalized.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2013 around 06:05

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't know, why don't you ask 2002 Indianapolis 500 Champion Paul Tracy about him?

This on top of everything else.

go3
Dec 20, 2006

On the other hand gently caress Paul Tracy

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm still convinced that had PT been given the win in 02 that "The Split" would have ended a lot sooner.

PT was ChampCar's poster boy for continuing the fight against the IRL. Remember, he was the one that coined the term "Crapwagon".

You remove the 02 controversy and I think he sticks with Andretti-Green, because why would you leave a team that allowed you to a chance to win the biggest race in the world? Forsythe, Newman-Haas have less reason to believe the IRL is all that evil, and after the 03 season make the switch over to the IRL, giving us a unified series 4 years earlier.

So yeah, blame Barnhardt for that.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2013 around 07:09

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

FuzzySkinner posted:

the biggest race in the world

I'm sorry, I have to bring you up on this. People still believe this?

Fag Boy Jim
Oct 7, 2007

unban longavs

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm still convinced that had PT been given the win in 02 that "The Split" would have ended a lot sooner.

PT was ChampCar's poster boy for continuing the fight against the IRL. Remember, he was the one that coined the term "Crapwagon".

You remove the 02 controversy and I think he sticks with Andretti-Green, because why would you leave a team that allowed you to a chance to win the biggest race in the world? Forsythe, Newman-Haas have less reason to believe the IRL is all that evil, and after the 03 season make the switch over to the IRL, giving us a unified series 4 years earlier.

So yeah, blame Barnhardt for that.

yeah well on the other hand, despite all the lovely things the IRL did, giving an undeserved 500 win to Paul Tracy wasn't one of them.

I'm probably one of the biggest IRL bashers, and Helio bashers on the board, and Helio won the 2002 500.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

Dudley posted:

I'm sorry, I have to bring you up on this. People still believe this?

Not this poo poo again, please. In terms of prestige, perhaps not, but it is still the largest single-day sporting event in the world in terms of crowd.

go3
Dec 20, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Not this poo poo again, please. In terms of prestige, perhaps not, but it is still the largest single-day sporting event in the world in terms of crowd.

Its the one day people in Indiana have something to do

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Basketball.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Fear not people. Someone probably wanted to troll the poo poo out of Robin Miller.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/l142ga

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

go3 posted:

Its the one day people in Indiana have something to do

There's Carb Day too!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, the Barnhart thing is completely false and just the same rumor spreading morons that are always around. The IMS board may be full of retards but they aren't THAT retarded.

If anything, like Cavin/Fryer have pointed out, Barnhart could move into an advisory position to the new CEO... which would take him out of Ops completely, which would make some of the team owners and fans happy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Oh, and yes, Indy is still the biggest race in the world. And best. And if you don't agree, you can eat poo poo forever.

Dinger in an indycar for seat fitting:

Cygni fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2013 around 17:23

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's Carb Day too!

Don't forget sheep relations day. I never do!

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

Oh, and yes, Indy is still the biggest race in the world. And best. And if you don't agree, you can eat poo poo forever.

Dinger in an indycar for seat fitting:

Must feel odd instead of going to the NASCAR part of the garage he goes to the Indycar. Hopefully he does well.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Saavedra to run Dragon's second car... with TrueCar sponsorship on both cars. Looks like Jay may have poached her sponsor out from under her.

That gives us 23 full time confirmed, looking for Coyne to bump that number up 1 or 2 more. Wonder if Kat ends up back at Coyne.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

Must feel odd instead of going to the NASCAR part of the garage he goes to the Indycar. Hopefully he does well.

Does Roger run both halves out of the same facility these days? I thought they were completely separate organizations.

Cygni posted:

Saavedra to run Dragon's second car... with TrueCar sponsorship on both cars. Looks like Jay may have poached her sponsor out from under her.

That gives us 23 full time confirmed, looking for Coyne to bump that number up 1 or 2 more. Wonder if Kat ends up back at Coyne.

Sucks for her, apparently she didn't even get to find out first hand from Jay that she might not be going back to Dragon.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like Jay swooped her sponsor like we thought. Jay hasnt been around long and is really stacking up the dickhole moves.

quote:

Katherine Legge ‏@katherinelegge

Feeling pretty sick to my stomach right now... Thank You all for the support, i will have a statement shortly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So aside from Legge's career just taking a kick in the stinkyhole... what seats are left open to Briscoe at this point?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does Roger run both halves out of the same facility these days? I thought they were completely separate organizations.

Yeah a couple years ago they bought the Indycar team from Pennsylvania(?) and brought it down to Charlotte. So Will and Helio live in Charlotte in NASCAR world.

quote:

Sucks for her, apparently she didn't even get to find out first hand from Jay that she might not be going back to Dragon.

Hopefully Roger will kick the poo poo out of him for being an unethical shitheel. Actually even public humiliation last year wasn't enough so I don't know now.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's Ganassi that has separate shops for everything. Hell, even his two Indycar teams have separate shops. Penske runs all his race teams out of the Mooresville, NC facility.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

So aside from Legge's career just taking a kick in the stinkyhole... what seats are left open to Briscoe at this point?

I don't think he will have anything full time. All the seats that are paying are taken. The only option I could see is Coyne, and thats unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

BMB5150 posted:

Hopefully Roger will kick the poo poo out of him for being an unethical shitheel. Actually even public humiliation last year wasn't enough so I don't know now.

You'd like to think so but let's face it, pulling dick moves is what team owners/managers do best really.

Real shame for Legge. Admitingly I never rated her quite as highly as a lot of people seem to do (though she's certainly not bad) but you can't help feel for her especially after all the long, hard work she seemed to go through to actually find a sponsor. It was a multi-year deal she had with them too wasn't it?

Does Saavedra bring with him some Colombian cash to go on top of the TrueCar sponsorship? Could be a case of Jay having his cake and eating it too I guess.

«131 »