Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«131 »
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/02...rs-IndyCar-pack

I wonder if this will be any good?

likely buying this regardless, becuase, well, it has Dallaras and IMS. (To quote Grandpa Simpson "I'm trying to watch the Super Bowl. If people don't support this thing, it might not make it.".)

I'd have preferred them to go the Forza route though.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2013 around 21:38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personperson14
Oct 9, 2012

"Pussy, money and race cars. That's pretty much all I care about."

I was already excited for grid 2. This just makes it a bit better.

Hopefully this means code masters might make a full Indy game in the future.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Barnhart screwed me, that's typical of him, he's always been a wanker.

Legge is taking this to court so she can keep Truecar. Can't blame her for bringing a sponsor one year and then getting it stolen the next.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Especially since it sounds like, on paper, she had a contract with them through 2013.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

IOwnCalculus posted:

Especially since it sounds like, on paper, she had a contract with them through 2013.

Well if it's "on paper" that would mean she did have a contract, wouldn't it?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan posted:

Yeah, she did/does I think. Be interesting to see how Sleezy Jay is able to void it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

I get the feeling that in racing, most contracts are actually only worth the paper they're printed on.

Even less if Jay Penske decides to piss on it.

Cannot Find Server
Aug 13, 2008

BMB5150 posted:

Legge is taking this to court so she can keep Truecar. Can't blame her for bringing a sponsor one year and then getting it stolen the next.

Good, I hope she wins.

Also, this sucks for Saavedra. He deserves a decent ride in a team that isn't a bunch of sleazeballs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Per an article on Jalopnik:

Dragon Dickholes posted:

We are thankful for the contributions Katherine Legge has made during her time at Dragon Racing. But, unfortunately, our primary sponsor and Dragon Racing have decided it is best for the team to move in a different direction for the upcoming season. We wish Katherine the best in her future racing endeavors. Both Dragon Racing and TRUECar have tried to amicably resolve this matter with Legge and her representatives to no availóand aside of acknowledging the existence of the dispute, due to the confidential nature of the dispute, neither of the parties will be making any further public statements regarding this matter, but both TrueCar and Dragon Racing have ample confidence that they will undoubtedly prevail

TrueCar posted:

We have thoroughly enjoyed our association with Katherine, but after 12 months of collaboration, hard work, and TrueCar's sincere efforts to resurrect Katherine's open-wheel career, TrueCar has decided to pursue a different driver for 2013 IndyCar season.

After overcoming seemingly insurmountable issues with Lotus during the 2012 season, Dragon Racing has fielded two entries for the 2013 IndyCar season.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Katherine's never going to be a champion, although do remember she won her first race in a series Danica raced winless for 2 years. However, she's possibly the hardest working driver in racing as far as putting together a program goes, she's a woman who is there purely because she wants to race and we can never have enough of those. Also she's had the shittest luck with her US programs. Her KV car threw her into an accident that could have killed her, her Dale Coyne car turned out to be literally breaking in half and then there's the whole Lotus poo poo.

Plus by all accounts she's one of the awesomest people on the grid. So yeah it's very sad especially as, while he's also a decent guy, Sebastien has had several attempts at Indycar before.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

How dare a team want the best driver possible in one of their cars? Don't they know she's a woman who tries??

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If they'd put Briscoe in the car, sure, you could make that argument. Thing is, Saveedra isn't necessarily any better - their IndyCar records are pretty much the same, and Legge arguably has the advantage of having more experience in this type of car with the two years she ran Champ Car.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It just sucks to bring a team a sponsor and sign a contract, deal with their crappy engine situation where you get kicked out of the car for half a year, and then they cut you out. Doesn't really matter who the driver is, thats pretty crappy.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

At least Saveedra had a decent season in the Lights last year. Legge hasn't won a thing in 7 years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dsriggs posted:

At least Saveedra had a decent season in the Lights last year. Legge hasn't won a thing in 7 years.

Either way they are both field fillers. That second Dragon seat exists solely to pump money and data into Bourdais. Not that I'm complaining, I hope he wins a couple races next year.

Holy moly, Robby Gordon's super trucks to do an exhibition at Long Beach before the IndyCar race, with jumps added to the track. Owns.

http://gplb.com/news/2013-02-14/rob...tion-on-sunday-

Cygni fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2013 around 18:44

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

quote:

Townsend Bell has said heíll have a program, and it stands to reason itís with Sam Schmidtís Honda team, although that hasnít been confirmed. Thatís 30.

Like Team Penske, Ganassi Racing currently has one less full-season entry than last year, so itís primed for another car. Panther Racing is a good bet for another, too, and Buddy Rice is believed to be in the discussion.

Bryan Hertaís team would like to have a second car. Ed Carpenterís is a candidate for another, too. Donít rule out another from Sarah Fisherís.

HVM Racing owner Keith Wiggins said he has an interest in fielding a car in the 500, and MSR Indyís Michael Shank has similar aspirations.

As for those two seats on Dale Coyneís team, Justin Wilson remains the expected lead driver ó he won a race with the team last year ó with a split program possible for the second car. Ana Beatriz is believed to be a strong possibility for the oval-track portion of the schedule.

rumored Indy 500 rides.

Honest question, what the hell happened to Buddy Rice? He won the 2004 Indy 500 (rain shortened, but still), and was in a battle for the series championship that series with TK, and Andretti Autosports. And then he just kind of fell off the face of the earth.

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...roblem-Indy-500

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

more rumors:

Jenna Fryer ‏@JennaFryer I think I just heard @KyleLarsonRacin say he wants to do the double. #NASCAR #IndyCar

Could possibly mean a 4th Ganassi ride this year at IMS if he'd be down. Doubt it, but it'd rule.

quote:

ē Narain Karthikeyan's interest in joining the IZOD IndyCar Series with Dale Coyne Racing picked up momentum in January, then the Indian driver went silent when it looked like landing the second seat at the Force India F1 team was a possibility, and with that window apparently closing, the 36-year-old journeyman is said to be interested in the DCR drive alongside Justin Wilson. We'll see if the 'World's Fastest Indian' appears in the Honda-powered No. 19 next week at Sebring.

Also, the Karthikeyan rumors are back.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/arti...-doubleheaders/

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I got a youtube comment to chew on for a bit.

"CART reminds me of ARCA
both are both wreckfest series that no one watches except to see the wrecks"

This was from the 96 US 500 start, but still come on, you can't compare a brain fade made by the best Indycar drivers, to idiots who don't know how to drive at a superspeedway at all.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004
internet creep

Just watched the first few minutes of that race because of your post...230+mph pole speed

I forgot how ridiculous it was to see them at speed at IMS in person.

edit: and only a 30mph difference between the front row and last place!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Watching 240mph qualifying laps at Fontana is an awesome experience, and one I'm at least a small amount bummed that my daughter will never get to experience outside of Youtube.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Watching 240mph qualifying laps at Fontana is an awesome experience, and one I'm at least a small amount bummed that my daughter will never get to experience outside of Youtube.

I'm glad the series is back together, but drat I miss CART.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well I probably some 250 mph cars shooting past me at Fontana in 98 with those wild runs they got with the Hansford device. I wish I was just a little bit older to remember everything about that race. I do remember Tracy loving up the start and Vasser getting that incredible start to pass more and Zanardi getting pass where I was seated near turn 1. Heard from my father some drunk fucks almost sat on me and my father almost got in a fight with them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's pretty outrageous how much money people were spending in CART, with current hindsight. Engine leases were 1.5m, chassis about the same, plus insane windtunnel time and private shock/aero packages. Kool spent something like $30m+ 1998 dollars to sponsor PT and Dario at whats now Andretti Autosport, now $30m is more than the total budget of that teams entire 4 car operation in smaller 2013 dollars.

I know it makes old timers like Miller pout and kick cans and talk about wild and free innovation, like in 2013 some piss stanking garage in East Lansing is gonna turn up with an Indy 500 winning engine banged together from Ford Tornio parts AND PURE GUMPTION, but I honestly believe the only reason we still have a series is the insane cost cutting thats gone on.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

This hat isn't the only
thing that's big

Sebring testing today!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

devmd01 posted:

Sebring testing today!

'Dinger back where he belongs.

I had an interesting topic to bring up.

Is it true that the future of open wheel is going to come moreso from Conor Daly types over say a Bryan Clausen?

The recent things I've been reading is that being within USAC Silver Crown doesn't really translate anymore into driving a Dallara as much, and moreso makes sense for someone going within stockcar.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Recent?? USAC classes haven't translated to Indycar since the 70's.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Times at the lunch break:

Dixon 52.01
Power 52.15
Helio 52.41
Kimball 52.43
Sato 52.46
Dario 52.49
Allmendinger 52.64
Jwil 52.71
Tk 52.86
Oriol 52.93
Josef 52.96
Simona 52.98
Graham 53.28

If I had to guess right now, Dixon might be my championship fav. Just needs a little luck this year.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

F1 Thread posted:

Testing times are about as useful as a bacon briefcase

Less than a second and a half across the field, there is lots of room for a few goon faves at the bottom to move up.
The test would be more interesting if Andretti was there. I'd like to see if they were in the top half with the red teams or scattered all over.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Recent?? USAC classes haven't translated to Indycar since the 70's.

Yeah I had kind of been having that thought lately.

A lot of the hoosier types have been saying stuff like: "Why can't we go after someone like Kyle Larson"

Because if he had honestly wanted to do IndyCar he'd have been within the "Road to Indy" for the past couple of year or in europe at this time. Hilderbrand, Newgarden, Daly, Hinch, and Kimball seem to kind of represent that.

It'd be cool to see Indy use USAC a little more to an extent though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AxeBreaker posted:

Less than a second and a half across the field, there is lots of room for a few goon faves at the bottom to move up.
The test would be more interesting if Andretti was there. I'd like to see if they were in the top half with the red teams or scattered all over.

Andretti will be running tomorrow, I think with all 4 cars. I know Viso and Marco for sure are testing. SSM and Dragon are there too, but everybody is testing different days and then pretty much the whole show starts moving over to Sonoma.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/articl...lan-4290916.php

Interesting.

I mean it's terrible to see happen because it's kind of wrong for stadiums/venues to recieve state funding.

But, I think this does help IMS and IndyCar immensely. I kind of wonder if the France family went "Put in lights or we're gone".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lights I could give or take, but gently caress yes at the video screens. Indy is a track that needs them desparately, and the ones there are just loving awful. Really, it's a shame that the person sitting at home on a couch has a far better view of turn 3 than the guy sitting in turn 1.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

In July when NASCAR is around, it's usually balls hot and humid out. I went once but I don't think I could do it again. Luckily for 3/4th of the race I was in a shaded portion on the frontstretch though. If I'm gonna get heatstroke at a race, and least be at one where I can see most of the track.

And yes those video boards are next to useless. I was sitting almost directly in front of one and I could barely make out what was going on.

be nice wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/articl...lan-4290916.php

Interesting.

I mean it's terrible to see happen because it's kind of wrong for stadiums/venues to recieve state funding.

Really, though, an Indy car is on the Indiana state quarter. Without the 500 the state has nothing to be proud of, unless you're proud of interstates and hating gays (Bloomington excluded, obviously). As far as state-funded sporting venues goes, this is about as justifiable as it gets. It's also extremely hot at Indy in the summer.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah I think this is very different from other pro sports teams that extort governments into building them new stadiums. IMS isn't going anywhere. They can't threaten to move the 500 to LA. Maybe the Barnhart to CEO rumor was their attempt a threat?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

gret posted:

They can't threaten to move the 500 to LA.

I hear Ontario, CA is interested in re-acquiring a 500-mile race...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The only threat that could be made is that they say "give us the money or we're selling it off to someone else". Someone else=Bernie, Bruton Smith or the France Family.

And considering the fact that Memorial Day weekend in Speedway doesn't mean poo poo to either of those parties? That would not bode well for the state.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at Feb 19, 2013 around 22:56

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

End of day times:

Sato 51.947
Dixon 52.017
Power 52.153
Dario 52.322
Jwil 52.327
TK 52.381
Helio 52.410
Graham 52.413
Kimball 52.439
Simona 52.442
Josef 52.498
Dinger 52.618
Oriol 52.690

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Job Done indeed, Taku.

Only seven tenths front to back, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The 4 Andretti cars + Vautier on track today. Other things:

Graham filming a GoPro commercial, love the angle/reflection.

and Conway's car for Long Beach/Indy/maybe more.

«131 »