Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«65 »
MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Update
Minor update, I've put some info into this post about the DLC.

Hello my fellow horror fans, and welcome to the Dead Space 3 thread! I hope the Dead Space 1/2 regulars will forgive me my intrusion, but I'm excited about this game, and it's coming out soon! (And I thought my thread title was funny)

If you're a DS fan, you are probably aware of Dead Space 3, what it has to offer, and the prior two threads. If not, this first post is here to inform you about the newest entry to the series. After that, it's just a cool place to post, talking about how much we hate the changes to game play. But we'll get to those in a moment.

Isaac, The Story, The Boot
Isaac Clarke is going crazy. Batshit insane. Having survived two Necromorph outbreaks, witnessing the death of his girlfriend and countless lives, being tricked and used, these things have worn long and hard on Clarke's poor mind. But there is hope. Isaac has found something, somehow, on the planet Tau Volantis. An ancient Unitology settlement on a frozen planet, known to house one of the mysterious Markers, Tau Volantis will be our backdrop. We will spend some time in space, on derelict husks, but this is a planetary game.

Gone are the cramped corridors of a ship and space station, changed to the cramped corridors of a frozen planet with caves and old futurebuildings. The Necromorphs are back and nastier than ever, but this time around Clarke has help. Ellie Langford returns to help you feel at home, and a newcomer, Sgt. John Carver, joins the fight. There's some graphic novel or some such that he's in, but suffice to say he's an angry dude with a grudge against the Marker.

Ah but what would Dead Space be without its beloved Necromorphs? Old friends will return to give you a big stabby hug, but there are some new fellows, too!

Confirmed are some creatures that hide out in bodies and attack with pickaxes (very The Thing-esque), some weird cannibals that hunt by sound, divider heads that can take other bodies, and the return of the regenerator! (woooo) I'm sure there are other enemies, but I don't wanna clutter up this post with all that, so go ahead and hit that google button!

Now, I mentioned game play changes. What game play changes, you ask? Well, the first big one is Co-op!

Co-op
On all systems, easy drop in and drop out co-op! Play the game alone or with a friend!

The Co-op for Dead Space 3 has been a contentious subject, since one of the strong horror aspects of the Dead Space series has been the terrible soul crushing loneliness. Further, other horror games have attempted this formula to varying success (lookin' at you, Resident Evil). We're all hopeful that the system will work out, and our own MortuusLupus has been feeding us little tid bits about it to try to allay fears. I was initially hesitant myself, but I've found a buddy who wants to play through it together and I thought, why not?

What you need to know:
- Co-op is OPTIONAL. You can play the game and miss only a little, unlikely to be more than some lines of dialogue.
- Drop in/Drop out, any time.
- There is no friendly fire.
*Corrected for

That is, I think, all you should really need to know about it. If you have more questions, I'll update the OP with more information. Here is a video to keep things feisty:

http://www.gametrailers.com/e3/vide...o-op-interview-

Weapon Crafting
Gone are the benches for upgrading your weapons, and the shops to buy them at. Now, you get an engineering bench to craft weapons the way you want!

Throughout the game, Clarke and his buddy Carver will pick up scrap items. Copper wire, gold, whozawutsits, all sorts of doodads. These resources, coupled with plans and other parts you buy at stores/find in the environment will allow you to craft guns the way you want them. Pulse rifle and flame thrower? Easy. Seeker rifle and Ripper? Done. Many stupid combinations? Absolutely! The skies the limit with the new crafting system! Or at least, as many parts and credits as you can find. You can also pick pre-made guns to use all the old favorites from DS1 and 2 if you like.

Those who have played the demo already have given mixed reviews. Some people say it makes Dead Space feel too gamey, others praise the variance you can introduce into your arsenal.

Video accompaniment:
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...weapon-crafting
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...fting-interview

Other poo poo
There are other changes, too!

Such as:
Universal Ammo! (boooo)
Kinect Support!
Mutating Necromorphs!
MORE QTES!!!!

Well that about sums it up, although I think this youtube video could also work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtTnALUjHMw

Dead Space: Awakened
Hot on the heels of the release of DS3, a new DLC has appeared. Dead space 3: Awakened! Spoilers abound, friends, so please be careful with your eyes.

As those of us who have beaten Dead Space 3 know, Isaac and Carver still live. Sure to have some handwavey argument about it, the story continues with the two initially on Tau Volantis, making their way back to the Terra Nova, then finding themselves on Earth.

The DLC is noted as being a return to the atmospheric creepiness of DS1 and 2. Posters in the thread have confirmed this to be the case. Hallucinations and claustrophobia return in spades. Some serious Event Horizon poo poo going down. There are several reskinned enemies and nearer the end a new location. Thus far people are clocking the DLC as lasting about two hours, maybe a little more or less depending on how ridiculous your guns are.

Currently priced at $10 and the 360/PS3 equivalents, it is a little expensive, but players seem pleased with the content. If you liked DS3, you've probably already bought it. If you're on the fence about it, watch the trailer, or brief game play video, it's creepy and eeuuuugh.

Media

WOOP WOOP PARTY UP

Awakened

Please note: If I am misinformed and something I have listed in the OP is wrong, please point it out and I'll correct it.

MadBimber fucked around with this message at Mar 15, 2013 around 04:55

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

reaching
present participle of reach
To draw a conclusion based on more than a moment's thought.

I'm confused by one thing in the OP. I though playing the game solo meant you DID NOT have to have an AI partner to babysit. It's not that way in the demo either. Where did you see that?

NESguerilla
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk Clunk Clunk clunk

I'm hoping for some sort of announcement on some re-playability modes since they are getting rid of Vs. (which wasn't good but had potential). I'm hoping there is some sort of horde mode and/or a revamped hardcore mode.

I played the demo and it's pretty good. I'd tell people to not hold their breath on it being very scary and it seems like it's gonna be just as linear as DS2 if not more so.

ApexAftermath posted:

I'm confused by one thing in the OP. I though playing the game solo meant you DID NOT have to have an AI partner to babysit. It's not that way in the demo either. Where did you see that?

Op is wrong. The dude working on the game said in the DS2 thread that this is not the case. It does look like it's possible that he pops in as an AI from time to time though. The boss fight in the demo looks like it's going to have him in the fight.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

quote:

- An AI plays for your character if you do not have a Co-op buddy, and the game is beatable either way.

Actually, there is no AI partner whatsoever. You go through the game alone in singleplayer, and co-op partners can join you at a checkpoint I believe. Otherwise, Isaac is alone.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

EVEN IN DEATH I STILL SWERVE

I think you're always Isaac in coop too, right? Or did I make that up?

ed: \/\/\/no I mean like if you're in a coop game, both players see themselves as Isaac and their partner as Carver, I think

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at Jan 18, 2013 around 23:53

NESguerilla
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk Clunk Clunk clunk

No it's Isaac and some other new dude.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Pharmaskittle posted:

I think you're always Isaac in coop too, right? Or did I make that up?

ed: \/\/\/no I mean like if you're in a coop game, both players see themselves as Isaac and their partner as Carver, I think

No, each player is a different chracter. It might be that the host has to be Isaac too.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Flipping the Fuck Out

Who wants... to play the demo earllyyyy

VGF7P-GPTQG-M6CHH-4272D-3T2DZ

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

Meryl, I got your number!
I need to make you mine!
Meryl, don't change your number!
140.15~!
I got your number on the box!

Mazerunner posted:

Who wants... to play the demo earllyyyy

VGF7P-GPTQG-M6CHH-4272D-3T2DZ

<3

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I got one for y'all too

TM9MH-3FYPW-JCRXW-6J6JX-K6DRZ

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Bullets still kill motherfuckers, right? Don't get much simpler than that.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I got one for y'all too

TM9MH-3FYPW-JCRXW-6J6JX-K6DRZ

Got this one. Thanks.

Dr Eggman
Sep 9, 2012

Worthless piece of crap.

I need a code too.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Here's a 360 code TF6PG-FJD9C-J9Q6D-HJMGV-23Y6Z

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

Does anyone know if this will be the last in the series?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

What?

Nickname Pending posted:

Does anyone know if this will be the last in the series?

If it makes money, any major publisher will continue making games in a franchise.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

MadBimber posted:

Other poo poo
There are other changes, too!

Such as:
Universal Ammo! (boooo)

Pretty sure this was removed from the game when the testers didn't like it.... I read about it in the DS2 thread

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There better not be universal ammo. That would either make things way too easy or way too hard (too hard if it's like Deus Ex: Invisible War, because then once you run out of ammo for one gun you run out of ammo for them all--yipes.)

rejutka
May 28, 2004

The body, the body. Oh, yes!

So did they manage to fix the v-sync thing, as in, they actually fixed it and aren't just saying "Of course we fixed it!" when they did no such thing.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Just played the demo and while it's very fun and I'll get it to play with a friend the game feels very ~~made by committee.~~ Cover based action against human enemies! Scripted events where spooky monsters attack you! Cutscene QTEs! Shoot monsters with a friend in the badical co-op! Craft badass weapons! The atmosphere is a different beast compared to DS1. Also, you still can't skip cutscenes for whatever reason.
Hopefully they'll kill Isaac at the end so they can have another protagonist that isn't Grizzled White Dude, but it's EA so I doubt it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Well, I've built the only gun I need: shotgun full of damage mods with an underslung spike chaingun that has a stasis effect. I really hope they end up having unique ammo types, because otherwise I'll probably never use anything but that and a plasma cutter.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Bullets still kill motherfuckers, right? Don't get much simpler than that.

Does the hydraulic engine (melee attachment) actually use ammo? It displays a "4" but it doesn't seem to go down any when I use it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Flipping the Fuck Out

Hollenhammer posted:

Pretty sure this was removed from the game when the testers didn't like it.... I read about it in the DS2 thread

The demo still had universal ammo at least...

GUI posted:

Just played the demo and while it's very fun and I'll get it to play with a friend the game feels very ~~made by committee.~~ Cover based action against human enemies! Scripted events where spooky monsters attack you! Cutscene QTEs! Shoot monsters with a friend in the badical co-op! Craft badass weapons! The atmosphere is a different beast compared to DS1. Also, you still can't skip cutscenes for whatever reason.
Hopefully they'll kill Isaac at the end so they can have another protagonist that isn't Grizzled White Dude, but it's EA so I doubt it.

I don't know, the demo seemed to me to be really cut down with a focus on the scripted 'awesome' bits rather than the regular gameplay. Maybe that's just me though? I just say that because I remember adds for 2 that really focused on the stuff like the high-speed zero g flight action sequences [comes up like 3 times in game], or focusing more on the 'action' parts of fighting necros [ie. blowing them apart or Isaac getting ripped apart] and not so much on the 'anticipation' part. Just seems like EA's marketing team really pushes the action side even though that's not really the focus of the games.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005
I mudcrabs

1stGear posted:

If it makes money, any major publisher will continue making games in a franchise.

Nope, they have to sell 5 million or the series is done according to some spokeswoman back in June. http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA...vive-43629.html Granted some people disagree based on internal review, but being told this means probably. Why would a money grubbing company such as EA give two flying fucks about originality, gameplay, or artistic integrity when it deals with money and how much they get in their pocket.

EA is a business, not a good game company that wants to make a product for enjoyment, no matter the cost. See also homogeneous of the game's core feature in regards to other actiony games.

I love the franchise but this is EA, be real, this is a loving horrible company that wants MP in every game to "continue/maintain profit".

rejutka posted:

So did they manage to fix the v-sync thing, as in, they actually fixed it and aren't just saying "Of course we fixed it!" when they did no such thing.
No one knows due to no PC information. If you are talking consoles, it looks fine. If you are talking real fix, be real, when was DS1 or 2 had their v-sync issues "fixed", this was a known issue and was fixed by the community, not EA. Why pay when you know the diehard fans will do it for free?

Be real dead space fans. I love this game, but it is EA, don't be naive, they want your money, REAL bad, otherwise why make separate incentives for each retailer, other than those hardcore fans that will pre-order multiple copies of their game and maybe, "return" them under the guise of a family gift with receipt.

Also, given that the Deadspace 2's rivet gun was never offered for free, or even as separate paid dlc, it only came in a DLC package for $5 and that wasn't even a default rivet gun, it was the agility spec which means it has some stat adjustments. ( pc users--see gibbed's hack for ds2) Or was it that they got hosed and someone found out how to make all those incentives for free?

Seriously, gently caress EA, you be the judge, buy into their hosed up bullshit or don't, you are the end user hurt by their decisions, surely they are not, as it is all money/profit for them. I hate saying it, I am getting the dev kit and the game on ps3, but given how they handle this, this will be my last EA purchase ever.

MortuusLupis, if you could, please tell EA to gently caress off and make rational decisions that reflect how a company behalves or they can kiss my $200 GDP away which I am sure they will love to hear.

edit;
Also the severed DLC never came to PC, seriously if you are a pc gamer supporting EA you are doing it wrong.

Scyron fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2013 around 08:42

Belan
May 7, 2007

Here's a 360 demo code if anyone still needs one: TRQDX-MJD23-QWWJF-9PTTH-CKFGZ

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Its time to sax up this club!

Belan posted:

Here's a 360 demo code if anyone still needs one: TRQDX-MJD23-QWWJF-9PTTH-CKFGZ

Cool I used this code! I'm interested about this game, I kinda ignored it when I heard it had co-op but I want to see if its any different. I loved the first Dead Space.

Fonzarelli
Aug 15, 2004

Jumping the Shark

I thought the demo was pretty fun, but its pretty obvious where the series is headed. Its kinda become some weird, slow gears of war type game. The new cover system seems really strange, and you're completely static in cover. I'm probably going to play it because I'm a sucker for the aesthetic of the monsters, but it doesn't quite feel like Dead Space to me.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Scyron posted:

edit;
Also the severed DLC never came to PC, seriously if you are a pc gamer supporting EA you are doing it wrong.

To be fair, you're not really missing much. I wish I hadn't bought it. It's just the first part of the game in reverse, and it's basically, 'Tidemann is a dick and wants to kill your wife' It doesn't really add anything to the game until the last two minutes when shockingly, unitologists and governmental dudes are colossal assholes.

I'm still looking forward to the game because it's got some great atmosphere to it, and Isaac is one of the few characters who's pretty self-aware of just how hosed up his life is, and is hilariously weary/smug in his writing and voicework about it. I hope to see some hilarious infighting though if Necro and Human enemies end up in the same place. It's always stupid in games that two factions will be fighting, then as soon as you step into view, they'll happily ignore each other.

Fonzarelli posted:

I thought the demo was pretty fun, but its pretty obvious where the series is headed. Its kinda become some weird, slow gears of war type game. The new cover system seems really strange, and you're completely static in cover. I'm probably going to play it because I'm a sucker for the aesthetic of the monsters, but it doesn't quite feel like Dead Space to me.

I can see why the setting needed to be changed up, because three games entirely in narrow, dark corridors might be pushing it. But I've got a feeling the shooter sections are going to be a bit of a grin-and-bear-it kind of thing. It doesn't help that 99% of the trailers show Isaac & Carver with generic rifles instead of exposing more of the crazy stuff you can make with the weapon bench.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Posted it in the DS2 thread, but for anyone interested I uploaded a playthrough of the Dead Space 3 Demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A9fGJfyEBo

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

It looks like it will stand that the Dead Space series is one of the absolute best games you could choose to play while smoking massive amounts of weed. I'm so glad this comes out in winter, because I'm going stir crazy not having anything to loving do all the time.

Wazzit posted:

Posted it in the DS2 thread, but for anyone interested I uploaded a playthrough of the Dead Space 3 Demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A9fGJfyEBo

Hey thanks, seeing this in action (even though I only watched the first few minutes) has renewed my hopes that I will really enjoy this game, just as I have the previous two. Now if only a preorder would come up on Steam...

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

I may buy this just to see how the story ends, but uggghhhh. Ugh. Universal ammo. Ew.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

They pretty much destroyed the atmosphere of the first 1. Thank you EA, for making Modern Warfare: Dead Space: Gears of War, The Game.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Hobo Siege posted:

I may buy this just to see how the story ends, but uggghhhh. Ugh. Universal ammo. Ew.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/8670-de...final-game.html

Says it's only a placeholder for the demo.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Paino posted:

They pretty much destroyed the atmosphere of the first 1. Thank you EA, for making Modern Warfare: Dead Space: Gears of War, The Game.

Kinda feeling this.

The first was soaking in atmosphere, now I feel like we are in an action movie.

Bummed but still love the series.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Beardless Riker posted:

Now if only a preorder would come up on Steam...

It's an EA game, so no chance of that.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Flipping the Fuck Out

Samara posted:

Kinda feeling this.

The first was soaking in atmosphere, now I feel like we are in an action movie.

Bummed but still love the series.

Again, not to be contrary or to harp on this but here are some relevant quotes from the Dead Space 2 thread regarding its marketing-

quote:

What. The gently caress.

An Eva-suit and rocket boots. Usually, i'd be excited for some cheesy over-the-top action, but this is supposed to be Dead Space. And it's not why i love the first game.

-------------------
Really hoping this is just more terrible pre-release EXTREME advertising from EA like Dragon Age's the new poo poo and ME2's Subject Zero stuff. Isaac's suit didn't need rocket boots and flight fins!

------------------
The problem is that producers have said that they're cutting back on the horror, empowering the player and increasing the action to "Modern Warfare" levels. Considering it was barely skirting horror as it is, I think it's pretty understandable why that bodes poorly to people.

------------------
Quoting the article from the 2 pages ago, I sure as gently caress don't want to feel "empowered". That's some stupid bullshit right there. I loved the feeling of being all alone on a derelict ship fighting off alien monstrosities in the first game.

-----------------
I'm hoping all of this "empowered" and "focus on action" bullshit is just a marketing ploy. Even though I'm sure it isn't.

--------------------
Agreed. If this game turns out to be Gears of War IN SPACE I'll probably only purchase Valve games from now on.

----------------
Calling it now: There'll be a twist where the military appears and you have to fight human enemies along with necromorphs. Everyone on the internet will complain about it being cliche since Dead Space is the pinnacle of originality, prompting Visceral Games to never include anything but monster enemies again.

-----------------
Yeah. Both Dragon Age's and Mass Effect 2's advertising campaigns were notoriously bad and misleading. Dragon Age's trailers took everything ridiculously out of context and set it to lovely Marilyn Manson music, as said earlier, while ME2 got a whole poster and video advertising campaign with stuff that was not only not in the game at all, but with themes that ran directly against everything that was in the game*. That nonsensical ad campaign, "fight for the lost", was after the final game had been completed, so it isn't like Bioware changed the game afterward to counter reactions from fans.

Fight for the Lost - Thane advert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hCiSOXoajo
How Thane really is ingame (light spoilers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9DZOt6coOA

The difference is staggering. I have no doubt we will see the same for Dead Space 2. And yes, we will see a PC version. You guys are being chicken littles.

And oh wait it turns out there's like 3 or 4 super actiony scenes in total and the rest of the game is still very very similar to the first (not exactly the same, no but the same core).

I know that the demo is supposed to show off the gameplay but wasn't it incredibly obvious to anyone else that they cut out a whoooole bunch of poo poo so they could bounce from set piece to set piece? They didn't even show off one of the new enemy's quirks, just presented them as the Pack 2.0.

EA's got a really bad track record about marketing non-action games as action ones, don't get too disapointed now.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Mazerunner posted:

Again, not to be contrary or to harp on this but here are some relevant quotes from the Dead Space 2 thread regarding its marketing-

And oh wait it turns out there's like 3 or 4 super actiony scenes in total and the rest of the game is still very very similar to the first (not exactly the same, no but the same core).

It was not very similar to the first. The first had an amazing story and was very good at creating tension. The second one shows you the monster's tonsils 45 second in. Every time it tries to be scary it just ends up being dumb. Though, to be fair, as an action game it was very solid and I enjoyed it a lot. I can't say the same about this beta.

NESguerilla
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk Clunk Clunk clunk

Fonzarelli posted:

The cover didn't bug me because it felt like such an afterthought, but the whole thing felt a bit off. It just felt like it was lacking atmosphere to me (I didn't like the human enemies either). Then again I hated the Dead Space 2 demo and it ended up being one of my favorite games so I'll wait to judge the whole thing.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Flipping the Fuck Out

Paino posted:

It was not very similar to the first. The first had an amazing story and was very good at creating tension. The second one shows you the monster's tonsils 45 second in. Every time it tries to be scary it just ends up being dumb. Though, to be fair, as an action game it was very solid and I enjoyed it a lot. I can't say the same about this beta.

These... don't really have much to with each other though. I thought the second story was pretty well just as serviceable as the first, and you can't tell me the game didn't have tension. The elementary school, the return to the Ishimura, the Stalkers, the frozen crypt... even the regular corridors had exactly the same amount of suspense to them as the first game.

edit: basically what I'm saying is that judging the second (and the third too now probably) as being totally an action game because it has a few scripted sequences is totally ignoring the 95% of the rest of the game which isn't.

although since the third isn't actually out yet I will admit I might just be totally wrong and it will be Gears of Duty: Space Zombie edition.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2013 around 16:09

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Personally I think Visceral is pulling a Resident Evil 4 here and mostly ditching the horror to focus on the action. That's not a bad thing by any standard, but I can understand why people are upset given that the first game was a little bit more horror-oriented and Dead Space 2 was less so. I honestly don't care one way or another, as long as the game is great, I'm okay with another shift in tone to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Frolicking
Jul 1, 2007
Awkward phrasing, for the most part.

Paino posted:

Why on earth would they try to hide the monsters in ds2? That only works when the form and nature of the monster is unknown. It was a sequel, so that obviously wasn't the case. Ds2 had its problems, but the opening was perfectly fine.

«65 »