Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«65 »
Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

AlmightyBob posted:

Welp if the universal ammo is final then I'm gonna have to wait and see what people think before buying it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the first two, if you never added a particular weapon into your inventory, the game would never spawn ammo for it, right? And since there were only enough upgrade nodes to fully upgrade 2 or 3 weapons per playthrough (and weapons were pure, twice refined poo poo unless you did continuously keep up on them), you ended up using literally only those 2 or 3 weapons until your next restart anyway. And as someone pointed out, more than half the time that was the Plasma Cutter anyway.

What I'm saying is, it's not the variety of ammo types that matters now anymore than it actually mattered in the past games, it's the availability of the ammo vs the weapon's consumption rate. The plasma gun had tons of ammo but burned through it retardedly fast; ripper blades were fairly scarce but could do large amounts of damage per shot; contact beam? point, click, dead, but you won't have many shots so you better save the few that you have and make them count.

They could have all used the same ammo "type" and the games would have still functioned the same way because of how the vast majority of us played them. "Universal ammo" is just removing the illusion of a restriction you never really had in the first two anyway. This game will have plenty of better flaws to be angry about, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

welp they changed my ammo system and if you dont use my ammo system im not buying ur game

l8r shitlords

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004

All of this is ignoring the fact that out of all my playthroughs of both DS1 and DS2, I never actually ran out of ammo for any of my guns. As Mortus stated, the game detects when you're getting low on something and starts dropping more of it accordingly. This safety net effectively makes ammo infinite. If they removed ammo from the game entirely, my own personal playstyle and the weapons I decide to use, would not be affected at all. It's merely that hoarding and inventory-managing side of my brain that would be troubled.

Try to be honest with yourself about how much these decisions will actually affect your moment to moment gameplay, instead of spewing vitriol and hyperbole over misplaced Deus Ex: Invisible War flashbacks.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yo dawg
I herd you like tea

I certainly did run out of ammo but that's probably because I was dumb and didn't loot every goddamn thing in the room. Getting chased by necrotic alien corpses makes me reluctant to stop and smell the flowers I guess.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

I often ran out of ammo for the line gun, but that was because it was my "OH poo poo!" weapon and when I used it I used it excessively.

MortuusLupus
May 7, 2007

WILL THIS NEVER END?

Belan posted:

The crowd EA is courting doesn't have time for silly poo poo like strategic dismemberment. I wonder how hard Visceral had to fight against health regeneration.

It was never an option. And dismemberment is still the best way to kill. You could always unload into the enemy torso and kill them, it just took more ammo. Not sure where you got the idea we ditched it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

I'm a bit late with the Dead Space Wii game but is it any good? I picked it up on a whim since I won't be able to play DS3 in the next few months sadly .

MortuusLupus
May 7, 2007

WILL THIS NEVER END?

Sorry for double post, but I should clarify what universal ammo does. In your inventory you hold up to 20 ammo units in one stack, and each ammo unit will refill up to 25% of a single firing module. In order to refill a fully constructed gun you will need 8 units of ammo. Something like the grenade launcher may only hold 2 rounds, so every shot with that would essentially cost you 2 units. The rivet chaingun holds 80, so you can fire off 20 per clip. What you end up doing is having to manage ammo consumption rather than filling your inventory with lots of different ammo types. And given just how many things there are to pick up in the world, cause there are a whooole lot, we didn't want the player to be constantly leaving weapon parts and things behind because he couldn't carry them due to an inventory full of bullets.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

As has been said, firing on enemies seems much less responsive. Half the time, I could hardly tell if it was doing any real damage. And then you have human enemies who can take 2 or 3 shots to the head and still live. I also feel that the weapon crafting is very confusing. Probably will get used to it, but my head hurts staring at the craft screen. All in all, I'm excited to see the story/environments/characters, but still apprehensive on gameplay.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I have a question about the universal ammo. If i have 2 guns in my pack, and I run out of available ammo while using only 1 of those guns, will my backup gun still have a full magazine in it since I've never used it? Or does the ammo from the loaded but unused gun go towards the pool of available ammo for my main gun, which I'm busy using?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Flipping the Fuck Out

Nickname Pending posted:

As has been said, firing on enemies seems much less responsive. Half the time, I could hardly tell if it was doing any real damage. And then you have human enemies who can take 2 or 3 shots to the head and still live. I also feel that the weapon crafting is very confusing. Probably will get used to it, but my head hurts staring at the craft screen. All in all, I'm excited to see the story/environments/characters, but still apprehensive on gameplay.

Really? Not to be rude or anything but I was using the testing room like crazy, and blowing off limbs and such felt exactly the same. Shoot slasher leg, he falls, shoot arm, kinesis grab arm, shoot at another slasher, same as 2. I even noticed they added little yellow glow points to the baby's tentacles, just to emphasize to shoot there I guess. I do kind of agree with you regarding the new parka-Thing dude, you can still blow off limbs and stuff but I could never tell if he was gonna die or which way he'd split, and also the human enemies too. Hopefully there won't be too many 'pure' human encounters, but most of the ones in the demo ended in the necros coming and wiping everyone out.

After playing around in the testing room crafting doesn't seem too bad, but yeah kind of overwhelming at first:

-frame is for small or light weapons (ie. plasma cutter is small, force gun is heavy, military engine can be small or heavy but changes function)
-the weapon base is what kind of ammo you shoot (ie. bullets for military, energy blasts for force, explosives for the detonator)
-tip is how you shoot it (ie. military engine can have a single fire, sniper, shotgun, semi-auto, and two kinds of full auto. Detonator can have grenades, remote mines like in 2, timed mines like the line guns old alt, fire bombs, rocket launcher)
-the last bit is sort of a perk option (ie. do fire/electric/acid damage, skip a reload, no explosive damage)

upgrading is different too, instead of following a layout provided for you, you get to choose exactly what you upgrade (up to 4/4 I think for each weapon top/bottom).
-ie. you could choose four +reloads, or all +damage or whatever.
-some of the options are like +2 damage, some +2 damage -1 reload and I don't know why you'd ever take the second?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

-some of the options are like +2 damage, some +2 damage -1 reload and I don't know why you'd ever take the second?

I imagine it'll be a crafted thing, where you might only have those sorts of nodes available at the time.

Frog
May 25, 2006
Ribbit

Scyron posted:

Also, given that the Deadspace 2's rivet gun was never offered for free, or even as separate paid dlc, it only came in a DLC package for $5 and that wasn't even a default rivet gun, it was the agility spec which means it has some stat adjustments. ( pc users--see gibbed's hack for ds2) Or was it that they got hosed and someone found out how to make all those incentives for free?

My unmodified Steam copy of Dead Space 2 included all the console DLC content from the beginning. The rivet gun was there in both regular and agility versions. There are plenty of reasons to avoid EA, especially on PC, but they did (eventually?) include the cut content.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

Mazerunner posted:

Really? Not to be rude or anything but I was using the testing room like crazy, and blowing off limbs and such felt exactly the same. Shoot slasher leg, he falls, shoot arm, kinesis grab arm, shoot at another slasher, same as 2. I even noticed they added little yellow glow points to the baby's tentacles, just to emphasize to shoot there I guess. I do kind of agree with you regarding the new parka-Thing dude, you can still blow off limbs and stuff but I could never tell if he was gonna die or which way he'd split, and also the human enemies too. Hopefully there won't be too many 'pure' human encounters, but most of the ones in the demo ended in the necros coming and wiping everyone out.

I meant more along the lines of shooting at necros doesn't have that kind of satisfying feeling it used to have. Don't really know how to explain. It also felt like I would shoot exactly at a spot I intended but it wouldn't actually hit that spot.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004

Yeah it was mainly parka necros and human enemies that felt resistant to easy dismemberment. I admit that slashers and those famine victim enemies responded in roughly the same way.

Also, what testing room are you talking about? That sounds really useful. And I never encountered any babies. Are you playing a different demo than me?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

EVEN IN DEATH I STILL SWERVE

Xenin posted:

Yeah it was mainly parka necros and human enemies that felt resistant to easy dismemberment. I admit that slashers and those famine victim enemies responded in roughly the same way.

Also, what testing room are you talking about? That sounds really useful. And I never encountered any babies. Are you playing a different demo than me?

Under single player there's a "Crafting Room" or something like that where you can dick around with customization and test them out on enemies. The dismemberment feels exactly the same to me aside from the parka guys and humans, but I figured weird dismemberment is the parka guys' "thing" (no pun intended) and I was just aiming center mass on humans and didn't even think about trying to take off arms or whatever.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2013 around 02:34

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004

Pharmaskittle posted:

Under single player there's a "Crafting Room" or something like that where you can dick around with customization and test them out on enemies. The dismemberment feels exactly the same to me aside from the parka guys and humans, but I figured weird dismemberment is the parka guys' "thing" (no pun intended) and I was just aiming center mass on humans and didn't even think about trying to take off arms or whatever.

That explains why I never discovered it. Did the demo coop straightaway. Going in for another run-through and extensive testing now.

What about babies though? Are there legitimately babies to fight in the demo or was that just an observation based on gameplay footage we've seen?

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005
I mudcrabs

They should have made some silly RPG aspect for resistances, especially for necromorphs, to resist bullets, much like how the lore of Deadspace seems to suggest. In fact I think Extraction and the first movie, Downfall, seem to suggest necromorphs never die, the heroes of the games/books/comics/movies dismember them, just so the necromorph isn't a threat. From my understanding, it would have been great to have military bullets be a good player vs human mechanic, while necros would need to be dealt with engineering tools.

I'm saddened by the universal ammo. It sounds fine, how Mortuus explained it but eh, feels yuckie for survival horror inspired game.

Frog posted:

My unmodified Steam copy of Dead Space 2 included all the console DLC content from the beginning. The rivet gun was there in both regular and agility versions. There are plenty of reasons to avoid EA, especially on PC, but they did (eventually?) include the cut content.

That was patched in after Gibbed unlocked that stuff. I don't think PC users ever got their hands on Severed DLC either.

Xenin posted:

That explains why I never discovered it. Did the demo coop straightaway. Going in for another run-through and extensive testing now.

What about babies though? Are there legitimately babies to fight in the demo or was that just an observation based on gameplay footage we've seen?

It could be the babies that crawl out of the stomach of the big fat necro, it could be a wall climbing baby, or the new enemy that crawls into frozen corpses and takes them over. I guess I could link to the deadspace wikia, but eh.

Scyron fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2013 around 03:16

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The baby enemies are in that weapon test room.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Flipping the Fuck Out

Xenin posted:

Yeah, the lurkers I mean, the ones with the three tentacles that shoot at you. They show up in the testing room along with slasher, parkas, and leapers.

NESguerilla
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk Clunk Clunk clunk

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm a bit late with the Dead Space Wii game but is it any good? I picked it up on a whim since I won't be able to play DS3 in the next few months sadly .

Yes! It's awesome if you are down with rail shooters. It's surprisingly atmospheric, has a good story and a good length. I was shocked at how much I ended up liking it.

Edit: As far as the universal ammo drama goes, I'm not exactly stoked on it either, but some of you guys seriously consider that a deal breaker? poo poo, It wouldn't have even mattered to me if DS2 had universal ammo because the only gun I usually had on me was the plasma cutter.

NESguerilla fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2013 around 04:36

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

As a huge Dead Space fan, I'm not entirely sure why I came out of the demo feeling completely unexcited by the prospect of the game's upcoming release. Specifically, I haven't been paying any attention to any pre-release coverage to avoid spoiling myself, but this just didn't feel like Dead Space to me.

I think, personally, it may have been the environment. I'm really interested in seeing if they pull off those scary elements of the previous games in the broad daylight. It'd be really impressive.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Does this mean we'll never hear "Entering Vacuum" or "Entering Zero Gravity" again? I always loved those.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

If I don't spend long sections of the game waiting in elevators taking me between floors I'm going to be really disappointed.

MortuusLupus
May 7, 2007

WILL THIS NEVER END?

Oh don't worry, you'll spend plenty of time in vacuum waiting for doors to open. Standing in front of a spinning door icon is like 10% of a Dead Space game, we won't take that from you. The demo starts just after a long space sequence.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ahahaha. Thank you, Mortuus. (drat, you still have a Newbie avatar after all this time? Sheesh.)

VVVV: Aaaah!

Speedball fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2013 around 08:02

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

reaching
present participle of reach
To draw a conclusion based on more than a moment's thought.

Speedball posted:

Ahahaha. Thank you, Mortuus. (drat, you still have a Newbie avatar after all this time? Sheesh.)

Look at his avatar a little closer.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

MortuusLupus posted:

Oh don't worry, you'll spend plenty of time in vacuum waiting for doors to open. Standing in front of a spinning door icon is like 10% of a Dead Space game, we won't take that from you. The demo starts just after a long space sequence.

Good to hear. As long as I have to wait extended periods of time for a door to open and I can build a flamethrower that's useless, this is probably going to be a solid pick for GOTY.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

MadBimber posted:

welp they changed my ammo system and if you dont use my ammo system im not buying ur game

l8r shitlords

ME IRL

Actually I love the games and im definitely buying it. I'd just thought i'd read different about the universal ammo VV

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Hollenhammer posted:

ME IRL

Actually I love the games and im definitely buying it. I'd just thought i'd read different about the universal ammo VV

I don't quite get why people are so pissed about it. Survival horror = OCD inventory management simulator? Maybe it's giving people flashbacks to that lovely Deus Ex sequel. The first one I mean. Not HR.

Serious Frolicking
Jul 1, 2007
Awkward phrasing, for the most part.

Hollenhammer posted:

ME IRL

They obviously experimented with both approaches and went with the one that worked better. The only reason universal ammo is such a taboo is Invisible War, and that was one game from 10 years ago.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Good to hear. As long as I have to wait extended periods of time for a door to open and I can build a flamethrower that's useless, this is probably going to be a solid pick for GOTY.

Hey, it's an ice world! That's the one place I expect a flamethrower to come in handy!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Speedball posted:

Hey, it's an ice world! That's the one place I expect a flamethrower to come in handy!

You would think so, but the game won't have that authentic Dead Space feel unless there's a flamethrower that's inferior to every other weapon in the game. Go back to having sections where there's no air in the room and it doesn't work at all, if possible.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Another code for someone to snatch even though the demo goes public tomorrow. WCYT2-JGPDG-G3HKX-V37FQ-3D7YZ

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

The flamethrower was OK for killing the tiny squibbly wibbly enemies which came from the big fat necromorphs. Same for the screeching children in DS2, they seemed to die from one hit from any weapon, so you could just puff flames in their general direction when a wave of them spawned. Terrible at everything else though

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Mortuus, I doubt you have any idea or can answer if you do but it's worth a shot: Is there any sort of timeframe for a Steam release? I was going to buy it launch day but I want to play through it with my friend the first time and while I would definitely rather have it on Steam my friend won't play it on Origin so I'll have to wait for that. I just it isn't too long but looking at Mass Effect 3 has me worried.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

How am I going to explain this to my wife?

Catsworth posted:

Mortuus, I doubt you have any idea or can answer if you do but it's worth a shot: Is there any sort of timeframe for a Steam release? I was going to buy it launch day but I want to play through it with my friend the first time and while I would definitely rather have it on Steam my friend won't play it on Origin so I'll have to wait for that. I just it isn't too long but looking at Mass Effect 3 has me worried.

EA is really pushing Origin on PC, so I'm doubtful Dead Space 3 is going to be on Steam at all. The last EA game to hit Steam is Katy Perry's Sims 3 DLC. Most Wanted and MoH: Warfighter are still Origin exclusives.

Get it on a console to avoid Origin. Either that or convince your friend that Origin isn't too bad (it's actually a solid DD service.)

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Tezzeract posted:

EA is really pushing Origin on PC, so I'm doubtful Dead Space 3 is going to be on Steam at all. The last EA game to hit Steam is Katy Perry's Sims 3 DLC. Most Wanted and MoH: Warfighter are still Origin exclusives.

Get it on a console to avoid Origin. Either that or convince your friend that Origin isn't too bad (it's actually a solid DD service.)

Yeah, that's what worries me. And I don't actually have a 360 or a PS3, or a TV for that matter. Guess it's the latter option for me.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You would think so, but the game won't have that authentic Dead Space feel unless there's a flamethrower that's inferior to every other weapon in the game. Go back to having sections where there's no air in the room and it doesn't work at all, if possible.

The flamethrower in Dead Space 2 was my favorite weapon because of how good it was (and it automatically popped corpses so items wouldn't disappear on you). And it not working in a vacuum in Dead Space 1 was an oversight because the description of the weapon says the fuel contains its own oxidizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MortuusLupus
May 7, 2007

WILL THIS NEVER END?

Hold onto your spaceboners 'cause you can actually craft THREE flamethrowers! An a fourth that shoots ice! And with damage mods you can also have them deal acid, electrical, or even more flame damage.

I would be quite surprised to see a steam release. Origin's getting better though, the internal simcity alpha test went through it and I didn't have any issues.

«65 »