Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hey Not A Step? Can you do me a favour and post the raw hex of the air war function that controls critical hits? Disassembled token view will have the full hex string, though it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to navigate.

Actually if you could make like, a pastebin of the actual disassembled function I'd be suuuuper gateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Is there a console command to complete a mission? I've got a bomb disposal mission with an invisible bomb.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Solarflare posted:

Is there a console command to complete a mission? I've got a bomb disposal mission with an invisible bomb.

Yeah that's one of the bigger bugs left.

The bomb is invisible though, not, uh, not present. If you use the somewhat cheesy method of giving your soldiers unlimited turns (/unlimitedmoves) you can explore around the map until you find it. You'll know it's there because there will be a square you can't move to despite having nothing in it. If you move next to that square you should be able to deactivate the bomb.

You could try /killaliens but a bomb disposal mission is one of the few mission types that won't work for I believe.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

"Garth DeAngelis" posted:

In XCOM, you want the player to feel like they have surpassed the enemy by the endgame.
Do you hear that, Long War?! :argh:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Well the problem was that you surpassed the aliens way before endgame. Long War - mostly - fixes that, it just leaves out the surpassing part altogether. :v:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Antti posted:

Well the problem was that you surpassed the aliens way before endgame. Long War - mostly - fixes that, it just leaves out the surpassing part altogether. :v:
and the game part

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm not sure how I feel about that comment. I'd much prefer for the difficulty to remain on a constant level. The piss easy end-game of XCOM: EU is a problem.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Solarflare posted:

If you save and wait until the bomb goes off, it will center the map on the bomb. Then you can reload, hustle one of your dudes over to the square you cant't enter, and click off the bomb. Or bring a motion tracker and use that to pinpoint the bomb.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

fspades posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about that comment. I'd much prefer for the difficulty to remain on a constant level. The piss easy end-game of XCOM: EU is a problem.

There appears to be a difference of opinion on this. Some folks agree, some don't. I don't think there's a One True Right Design Choice for this one.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Any news about XCOM 2, or is this only bullshit mod chat thread?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

LotsBread posted:

its the xcom thread that morphed into the mod thread when long war guys refused to make their own thread, and now its the xcom 2 thread as they also refuse to make their own thread

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

fspades posted:

Just how long it is, I think. Having the victory-lap temple ship is cool. Having that easy-as-gently caress period start halfway through a campaign, less so.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

LotsBread posted:

I'm glad you asked

No flying Lids, but underground ones that can spawn 3 lids at once from dead people.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Bholder posted:

I'm glad you asked

No flying Lids, but underground ones that can spawn 3 lids at once from dead people.

Alien soldiers can join XCOM confirmed:

Garth DeAngelis posted:

The chryssalid is very much still one of the alien occupiers of Earth. They are against XCOM. They will never become a part of your army.

Actually the Trap Door Spider attack sounds pretty awesome if you ask me. It'll be fine if it's only immediately lethal to rookies.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 28, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That underground attack sounds like its just gonna be a bullshit cheap death that grabs a soldier every now and again.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
It also has the potential to be new seeker, though. It really depends on what happens if they uncloak. They may actually trigger overwatch by "uncloaking". Who knows. Maybe we'll even get an item that completely nullifies them like the respirator does after we kill like one of them. :shrug:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

its the xcom thread that morphed into the mod thread when long war guys refused to make their own thread, and now its the xcom 2 thread as they also refuse to make their own thread

because we really needed 2 xcom threads when this one was practically dead when long war chat started.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The Chryssalids are becoming more and more Zerg-y with every iteration. I do like the idea of them as the fragile but numerous poison-debuff crew.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Zomborgon posted:

The Chryssalids are becoming more and more Zerg-y with every iteration. I do like the idea of them as the fragile but numerous poison-debuff crew.

In XCOM 3, they'll be able to bury themselves in the ground and spawn infinite numbers of mini-chryssalids. Obviously.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

actually they'll fly and spew little ones

CHRYSSALID HAS ARRIVED

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Chryssalid's are the epitome of super scary glass cannons so I'm okay with this.

Plus just you wait until I copy Long War's two story tall Queen Chryssalids into XCOM2. Every civvie she kills births another Queen Chryssalid.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The Iron Rose posted:

Chryssalid's are the epitome of super scary glass cannons so I'm okay with this.

Plus just you wait until I copy Long War's two story tall Queen Chryssalids into XCOM2. Every civvie she kills births another three Queen Chryssalids.

Fixed that for you.

The best part is that I'm sure Beagle will find a way to deal with that without Ghost grenades. Somehow.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Not a Step posted:

Every time a soldier promotes their first promotion choice should be between a left skill, right skill, and middle ?. The left skill makes them one class, the right skill makes them another and the middle skill randoms them into one of the other 6 classes. For instance, if a soldier randoms into the support class the left skill, field medic, makes them a medic. The right skill, grenadier, makes them an engineer, while the middle ? makes them one of an assault, infantry, rocketeer, gunner, sniper or scout.

If the RNG never gives you a class you want (I've had campaigns that just would not roll a gunner/rocketeer for me) try the second wave option Commander's Choice. With Commander's Choice enabled you can use the right and left buttons at the bottom of the initial perk selection screen to scroll through all four soldier sets, so you can always get whatever you want. I did a campaign with nothing but snipers, engineers and psi medics using Commander's Choice and it was a blast. Not sure that would have been possible without it.

:negative:

Thanks, all that time and effort reinstalling and redoing the first mission now wasted.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bholder posted:

I'm glad you asked

Immensely disappointed that they aren't classic chrysalids :smith:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Internet Kraken posted:

Eh, the four legged buggy 'lids are creepier than the old X-Com two legged guys to me. The updated ones from XCom 2 are fine, though it does seem like they're dispensing with the zombie stage? Which is a shame because killing zombies is fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What is this dark withcraft mod Beagle is using right now to shrink his soldiers? I want too have a ridiculous army of mutants.

jng2058 posted:

Eh, the four legged buggy 'lids are creepier than the old X-Com two legged guys to me. The updated ones from XCom 2 are fine, though it does seem like they're dispensing with the zombie stage? Which is a shame because killing zombies is fun.

Well the chrysalids in EU look pretty cute up until they bite you. The ones in XCom 2 are ugly zerg all the time though. I dunno, the design isn't bad but I like the original way more just because its so drat weird.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Internet Kraken posted:

The game's going to be super modable. Hopefully someone with some modeling skill wants to recreate classic chrysalids or some other classic aliens and they could be mixed in as variants.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Next week they need to introduce the flamethrower weapon you can use to burn an entire building's worth of chrysalids

"we took the MEC flamethrower and realized it would be cool if the alternative to taking it wasn't the best thing in the game, so now your heavy can carry it"

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is there going to be a Chrysalid cult where they can drive around in a limousine.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

What is this dark withcraft mod Beagle is using right now to shrink his soldiers? I want too have a ridiculous army of mutants.

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/607/

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

jng2058 posted:

The thing that made old Cryssalids creepy is that they were fast, tanky, and had high offense. A cryssalid could come out of a blind spot, take a few hits of reaction fire, and one-shot a unit. Every cryssalid map could set off a chain if you didn't think carefully.

New cryssalids aren't that fast (you can get a turn or two of move+fire retreating) and aren't that tanky (at most two hits with a laser rifle). This would work if they could rely on positioning (hiding behind corners or closed doors) or other aliens (such as a muton suppressing your unit) to get up close, but the AI is set up to have cryssalids mindlessly charge over kill-zones and spawn aliens in one-race pods.

The zombie spawning mechanic seems to work fine. The problem is that cryssalids never reach your units to use it.

I suspect that the poison changes are to make close-range cryssalid attacks more threatening without making them an unfair one-hit kill. Whether the three-from-one makes terror missions more intense depends on the mission types, as it's difficult to evaluate skills without knowing them. For instance, squad sight breaks most missions in XCOM but is fairly reasonable on the EXALT defense missions where you defend the middle of the map and a sniper can only cover a few sides.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have a feeling the multiple chryssalid spawns from one unit is to make terror missions scary as gently caress when you've holed up in a corner for the entire battle and all of a sudden 20 chryssalids are charging you. That's probably the only change i'll see, aside from the "gently caress you i'm underground" thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Internet Kraken posted:

Well the chrysalids in EU look pretty cute up until they bite you. The ones in XCom 2 are ugly zerg all the time though. I dunno, the design isn't bad but I like the original way more just because its so drat weird.

It was the grin. The grin was why the old Lids were so loving scary. That creepy buggy bastard was lovin' this poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Microcline posted:

The thing that made old Cryssalids creepy is that they were fast, tanky, and had high offense. A cryssalid could come out of a blind spot, take a few hits of reaction fire, and one-shot a unit. Every cryssalid map could set off a chain if you didn't think carefully.

New cryssalids aren't that fast (you can get a turn or two of move+fire retreating) and aren't that tanky (at most two hits with a laser rifle). This would work if they could rely on positioning (hiding behind corners or closed doors) or other aliens (such as a muton suppressing your unit) to get up close, but the AI is set up to have cryssalids mindlessly charge over kill-zones and spawn aliens in one-race pods.
you are way overselling old chryssalids

They were scary, sure, but even with laser rifles they weren't that big of a deal, in no small part because old laser rifles had auto fire and if you were at all suspicious that the bastards might be around you would set most of your soldiers up to have auto fire on reaction. Contrary to your assertion, most old chryssalids went down in 2-3 laser shots as well. The thing that old chryssalids did much better was surprising a formation that wasn't prepared for their arrival, so there was a bit more of a xenomorph sort of dread to them. But not much. Most oldCom players really only have one or two stories about old Chryssalids jacking them up, because that's all the more you got caught by them unless you had a serious learning impediment.

Old Chryssalids and New Chryssalids were both very resilient against ballistic fire and in terms of the metagame functioned similarly as a gear check. If you try (or tried) to attack these guys using ballistics you are (were) hosed. If you had lasers then you were probably fine.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
90s chryssalids were more intimidating then the new ones for sure. Part of the problem is that new chryssalids will usually use both their moves rushing up to you and then die next turn. They really needed an ability like the assaults run and gun, where they could sprint and still execute a melee attack to be more like the originals.

Edit: of course that might be too powerful in New xcom, with the small squads

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fintilgin posted:

90s chryssalids were more intimidating then the new ones for sure. Part of the problem is that new chryssalids will usually use both their moves rushing up to you and then die next turn. They really needed an ability like the assaults run and gun, where they could sprint and still execute a melee attack to be more like the originals.

Edit: of course that might be too powerful in New xcom, with the small squads

And with the (intentional) much greater focus on survival. In 90s X-COM, troops were basically disposable, even your best troops. A solid, experienced soldier was an asset, sure, but it didn't matter quite as much as their equipment and your general tech level. So the chance that some alien horror (or bullet) comes screaming out of the darkness without you having much you could do about it wasn't as bullshit. In new X-COM, you rely a lot on soldier abilities as well as gear upgrades and leveled up soldiers have whole new tactics, not just boosts to their accuracy. Having a Lid come shrieking at one of them and instantly kill them without being able to react or do anything to minimize the risk of that happening (you can't eliminate risk, obviously, but almost all of the game's strategy is focused around minimizing risk) would be completely counter to how EU/EW does business, which would not only be harmful to the game's balance and progress (losing a Colonel to a bullshit one-shot from off-screen before you even activated those enemies would be a serious loss of resources) but also stand out as something that usually doesn't happen in game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I added it to my modlist 4 pages back. It's a pretty chill mod.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Night10194 posted:

It was the grin. The grin was why the old Lids were so loving scary. That creepy buggy bastard was lovin' this poo poo.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Night10194 posted:

And with the (intentional) much greater focus on survival. In 90s X-COM, troops were basically disposable, even your best troops. A solid, experienced soldier was an asset, sure, but it didn't matter quite as much as their equipment and your general tech level. So the chance that some alien horror (or bullet) comes screaming out of the darkness without you having much you could do about it wasn't as bullshit. In new X-COM, you rely a lot on soldier abilities as well as gear upgrades and leveled up soldiers have whole new tactics, not just boosts to their accuracy. Having a Lid come shrieking at one of them and instantly kill them without being able to react or do anything to minimize the risk of that happening (you can't eliminate risk, obviously, but almost all of the game's strategy is focused around minimizing risk) would be completely counter to how EU/EW does business, which would not only be harmful to the game's balance and progress (losing a Colonel to a bullshit one-shot from off-screen before you even activated those enemies would be a serious loss of resources) but also stand out as something that usually doesn't happen in game.

and that's just on the tactical level

in ufo defense you could easily absorb the costs, both financial and political (if you had to start letting some ufos go while you waited for the new rookies to come in), of losing over half a squad on most missions because there was a lot more granularity on that level than there is in eu/ew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, fair enough, I agree.

As someone who grew up on the old game though, it's very bemusing to have a chryssalid race up and then stop inches from your dude, letting you calmly retreat and exterminate it.

When I was a kid I was conditioned to see a chryssalid scurry out of the darkness, immediately followed by:

"Aw, poo poo no! gently caress! Get out of my rookie squad! Aw, jesus! Can't you bastards shoot straight?! gently caress! poo poo! Paste that whole squad with rockets!"
:negative:

• Locked thread