Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Cythereal posted:

So he's in a MEC suit now.

Unit Dr. Shen's chassis began suffering broad and cataclysmic failures. Unit Dr. Shen's chassis was replaced per XCOM procedure. Unit Dr. Shen is glad to meet you, Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Aargh, I think my impossible run is hosed because of a bug. I'm on Confounding Light, and whenever I reveal the final group of Thin Men, the game crashes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dr Christmas posted:

Aargh, I think my impossible run is hosed because of a bug. I'm on Confounding Light, and whenever I reveal the final group of Thin Men, the game crashes.

Use the console. "/killaliens"

Also don't play ironman.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

The Iron Rose posted:

Use the console. "/killaliens"

Also don't play ironman.

It isn't Ironman. I'm going for the achievement, and yes I'm savescumming like hell. I have a few saves only a few turns into the mission, and it still crashes when I get to that point.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

It isn't Ironman. I'm going for the achievement, and yes I'm savescumming like hell. I have a few saves only a few turns into the mission, and it still crashes when I get to that point.

whoops misread :downs:

Anyways verify your file integrity, reinstall Long War if you're playing with it, restart the mission from the top.

If that doesn't work use the /killaliens command and /teleporttocursor to activate all the poo poo.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

this was my joke originally

give it back

my panic is rising due to this successful abduction mission

No, but have some fanart instead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Have they put a price to XCOM 2 yet? I could see it being $50 since it's not gonna be on console.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Manatee Cannon posted:

Have they put a price to XCOM 2 yet? I could see it being $50 since it's not gonna be on console.

no and good luck, respectively

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
goddamn long war site recon

https://i.imgur.com/jqTeLcs.jpg

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Be honest, how many SHIVS used?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Manatee Cannon posted:

$60 http://store.2k.com/store/Tk22k/en_US/pd/productID.319632700

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bummer but not surprising. Thanks.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Speedball posted:

Be honest, how many SHIVS used?

Two assaults, two infantry, one scout, one medic, one rocketeer. Las Rifles on the infantry, and the rocketeer had a las carbine.

I used Beagle's camping and kiting strategy a fair bit. Like three pods of four, a handful of fish chrysalids, some zombies, and pod of four thin men out of nowhere was outside. I pulled all three pods of lids at the same time, and my dudes were almost eaten by a single tile. I racked up the rest of the body count camping the whale until the lids stopped spawning.

Also Long War terror missions are complete bullshit, because apparently civilians will hide behind cover but don't actually TAKE cover, so a flashbanged floater has 100% to hit a civilian well outside of any close range bonus.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Aliens literally cannot miss civilians in terror missions.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I vaguely remember seeing an alien miss a civilian in Beaglerush Long War video once or twice

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

$80 bucks if you're in Canada. Like I am. Godamn.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Strobe posted:

It actually can happen, which is why it's all the more hilarious when a pod of floaters decides to take potshots at civilians rather than do something about the XCOM squad in their face.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Strobe posted:

Last night, instead of repairing a sectopod its two drones shot at a civilian and did one damage each

That good luck was more than counteracted when on the next mission I scouted a mectoid and a sectopod, and activated only the mectopod so I could kill it more safely; next turn the sectopod teleported into the middle of my squad anyway.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Strobe posted:

I've definitely seen it happen, although it was many versions ago so maybe that "bug" got fixed. A suppressed floater missed a civilian. Maybe the formula defaults to a 100% hit chance but some modifier got placed afterwards.

Edit: Come to think of it, civilians must take cover because I've seen DR popups for them. Again in past versions, though. Still get DR from cover in 15f.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 1, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I just had a UFO get shot down over the middle of the goddamn Pacific Ocean and still leave a crash site.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Congratulations, you've found a lost civilization on an uncharted island and killed them by crashing a UFO on their heads

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It was this (formerly) idyllic American-style farmstead just off the coast of Japan.

Then it happened again two UFOs later, this time in a busy metropolitan area east of the Philippines. Way to go, XCOM geography.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Today in Reasons Not To Play Ironman: a rocket that flies through a car window on its way to the EXALT-occupied building you're actually (successfully) aiming at, will still blow up the car and kill the operative camping next to it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Dallan Invictus posted:

Today in Reasons Not To Play Ironman: a rocket that flies through a car window on its way to the EXALT-occupied building you're actually (successfully) aiming at, will still blow up the car and kill the operative camping next to it.

One of the neat things about windows 10: built in buffered recording so you can always have a chance to share your :xcom: moments.

Also, capturing a leader drone with 20+ hp and an 8 damage drone beam is hilarious.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

dyzzy posted:

One of the neat things about windows 10: built in buffered recording so you can always have a chance to share your :xcom: moments.

Also, capturing a leader drone with 20+ hp and an 8 damage drone beam is hilarious.

[Queen Sally intensifies]

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Yami Fenrir posted:

[Queen Sally intensifies]

For anyone who doesn't get this, Queen Sally is what Beagle calls his captured boss drones.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So I've played LW (with the suggested mods) into April, and to summarize it just seems like moar of everything (aliens, missions, things, prices of anything, amounts of poo poo you need to do anything from materials to satellite uplinks to jets), etc. Is that correct?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

So I've played LW (with the suggested mods) into April, and to summarize it just seems like moar of everything (aliens, missions, things, prices of anything, amounts of poo poo you need to do anything from materials to satellite uplinks to jets), etc. Is that correct?

Eh, yes and no. It adds complexity to the game, to a fairly extensive degree. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to you.

I also really recommend you play Dynamic War, as it'll make Long War more broadly comparable to a vanilla game in length.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's early May and I'm getting 21 meld from each canister. Am I hosed already?

On the plus side, I started with Deus Ex, which means gene mods are currently costing me like three meld each. GENE MODS FOR EVERYONE

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Eh, yes and no. It adds complexity to the game, to a fairly extensive degree. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to you.

I also really recommend you play Dynamic War, as it'll make Long War more broadly comparable to a vanilla game in length.

I'm playing Dynamic War, but how can the game be of similar length when planes and base infrastructure cost several times as much?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

I'm playing Dynamic War, but how can the game be of similar length when planes and base infrastructure cost several times as much?

Lots more opportunities to make lots more money?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

You get more megabuxx per mission.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

You get waaaaaaaaaaaay more resources than in vanilla. It's not quite as simple as "More of everything!" type of numbers inflation, but there's definitely part of that too.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm getting the worst feeling that my current losses are unsustainable. It's May 18, and I've currently got 14 names on my memorial. Meld canisters are holding steady at ~20 meld each. I can technically build lasers, but right now it's a hard choice between building lasers or keeping satellites up.

EDIT: ahahah, and Site Recon just popped while I've got exactly three un-fatigued soldiers. $225 funbucks sounds great, but I'm not at all confident in my troops' ability to handle it. I guess that means time to take all SPECs!

Strobe fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 2, 2015

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Strobe posted:

I'm getting the worst feeling that my current losses are unsustainable. It's May 18, and I've currently got 14 names on my memorial. Meld canisters are holding steady at ~20 meld each. I can technically build lasers, but right now it's a hard choice between building lasers or keeping satellites up.

EDIT: ahahah, and Site Recon just popped while I've got exactly three un-fatigued soldiers. $225 funbucks sounds great, but I'm not at all confident in my troops' ability to handle it. I guess that means time to take all SPECs!

Meld doesn't mean anything at that point, you haven't even had an opportunity to influence it. But 14 deaths is an issue - if you raise troop health to at least 6 using Tac Armor or Ceramic Plates then there is an extremely low likelihood of being killed by a single shot from behind cover, until you start facing Mutons in which case you want more. Also note that you can not move out of alien suppression without penalty any more, suppression reaction fire no longer adds cover to defense.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I've been using Tac Vests because I hate hate hate not being able to get to good cover by one or two spaces. My roster is still close to 40 (I think it's 36 right now, with a half dozen in the infirmary), I've just had three or four missions in the last three days.

My response to being suppressed is usually just to kill the fucker doing it before I get to that person, or failing that try to get them with a flashbang. So far, death by overwatch hasn't been a huge issue. I think most deaths so far are against Thin Men and Sectoid pod leaders while in low cover. I know, I know, cardinal sin of Long War, but some of these maps just suck for it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Memorial wall plus 2, thanks Site Recon. Activated 12 Cryssalids with one blue move, and 8 troopers can't take that without some lucky damage rolls on AP grenades. I count losing only two as a minor success, considering one was a rookie, and another was one of my like eight scouts.

Finished mission with no further losses. $225 funbux will go a long way, now that I'm getting ready to start heavily gene-modding troops. The eye gene-mods, at least, are a whopping $5 and 3 meld, and take my troops out of the fight for a grand total of 2 days. Whoop-de-doo. Hope you enjoy your new pupils, everybody.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 2, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

You get waaaaaaaaaaaay more resources than in vanilla. It's not quite as simple as "More of everything!" type of numbers inflation, but there's definitely part of that too.

I can't build satellite uplinks without engineers and the only way I can apparently get engineers is by launching satellites so this is dumb. Yes I know satellites aren't as important but making it so you can't acquire resource A unless you have B and vice-versa is unfun.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

I can't build satellite uplinks without engineers and the only way I can apparently get engineers is by launching satellites so this is dumb. Yes I know satellites aren't as important but making it so you can't acquire resource A unless you have B and vice-versa is unfun.

You can get more engineers through council requests, which are now unlocked by specific technologies. Most alien autopsies unlock more council requests of exchanging the relevant corpses for engineers (or scientists or money), along with alien artifact technologies like Materials, Computers and Power Sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

^^^ that and frankly satellite uplinks are one of your lowest priorities. I usually try to have two continents three-four months in (dynamic war), and then I kinda just sit there and build up until I'm ready for the alien base. Sats are really deemphasized in Long War because panic is deemphasized in Long War.

It requires some fairly big adjustments in your XCOM fundamentals. Very few of your strategies that worked in Vanilla XCOM will work in Long War.

To liken it to a MMO, Vanilla EW you're rushing the aliens. In Long War you're turtling wayyyy up. Build up your strength. Don't expand to new continents until you've a fleet of interceptors armed with lasers ready before you even launch the first sat is advice that's served me well.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 2, 2015

• Locked thread