Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

LightWarden posted:

Chest
-Neither ability has been talked about much, but they have mentioned that one of them provides a second heart, presumably with some sort of recovery ability or protection against incapacitation

Might protect against poison or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Feels like the enemy will need a more serious upgrade of capabilities besides the Mechtoid and Squiddy to keep up with all that poo poo without XCOM turning into the Justice League version of handling an alien invasion.

e:
Mechtoid is "neutralized" by the MEC (probably more so if you can bring a whole squad of the things).
Squiddy is pretty much needed to get close to even with *Cuttent XCOM* super snipers.
All the other new upgrades hits any sort of Alien PSI or mobility advantage square in the balls, not to mention further buffing XCOM survivability.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 2, 2013

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I really hope that one of the new aliens will be using psi against you in the early game (without necessarily unlocking psi before you'd normally get it). In the original psionic aliens always felt like this scary unknown menace when I didn't have psionics unlocked myself, no matter how many times I had played before. I was kinda disappointed that EU basically handed it to you automatically the first time you encountered it.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Glidergun posted:

Have to strongly disagree with you on the Support ability. Covering fire triggers after the alien takes their shot and still gets the -20 aim Overwatch penalty, which means it's really hard to hit with and doesn't keep your mans from dying even if it does hit. Sprinter, meanwhile, lets you set up flanks easier, move to better cover in sparse terrain, squadsight scout more effectively, stun aliens from farther away, and get your medkits to wounded allies more quickly.

The rest of this advice is good, but Sprinter is about a million times better than Covering Fire.

Good point. I found it useful on my Classic run, less so on Impossible. I think it's going to be more useful with the upcoming patch/expansion that makes it so your overwatched soldiers get to shoot first. Until then, yeah, sprinter might be more useful.

P.S. The move and shoot ability on snipers is still terrible, but MAYBE if you're using the "not created equally" modifier you might be able to make it work with a very high aim trooper. maybe.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LightWarden posted:

Chest
-Neither ability has been talked about much, but they have mentioned that one of them provides a second heart, presumably with some sort of recovery ability or protection against incapacitation
Male soldiers gain lush chest hair, and if you have them take off the upper half of their armor during a battle the aliens will start wandering toward the affected soldiers out of mesmerization, allowing your team of snipers to pick them off one by one.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Hellburger99 posted:

Good point. I found it useful on my Classic run, less so on Impossible. I think it's going to be more useful with the upcoming patch/expansion that makes it so your overwatched soldiers get to shoot first. Until then, yeah, sprinter might be more useful.

P.S. The move and shoot ability on snipers is still terrible, but MAYBE if you're using the "not created equally" modifier you might be able to make it work with a very high aim trooper. maybe.

I'm thinking the Covering Fire combined with the ability that gives supports a second reaction shot will actually be a pretty decent combo once CF starts shooting first.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Male soldiers gain lush chest hair, and if you have them take off the upper half of their armor during a battle the aliens will start wandering toward the affected soldiers out of mesmerization, allowing your team of snipers to pick them off one by one.
Ted completely misunderstands what the term "Chest implants" means.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
They gain pecs and abs so strong they can catch plasma bolts with a single flex?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

MechPlasma posted:

Ted completely misunderstands what the term "Chest implants" means.

What, do they get Torpedo Tits or something?

Then again a hypnotically perfect set of abs is gender neutral and kind of funny...

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

I'll say this about Meld and the playstyle it's there to promote; as someone who already plays far more aggressively than is advisable, I see this as a reward.
Playing it safe, as Nephilm described, sure is effective, but to me it turns tedious and unfun after a while. Meld gives you an actual benefit to being a bit more aggressive, and I'm completely behind that idea.

Seconding this. I tend to deliberately bite off more than I can chew with regards to exposing the fog of war. The fun of the game is getting out of a tough situation, not creeping forward conga line style for 10 turns.

dud root fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 3, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Losing veteran troops is going to suuuuuuuck even harder than normal. I cant wait!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Archenteron posted:

Hell yeah my dream of fielding an all-SHIV B(eep boop)-team improves
SHIV A-team or bust :colbert::

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I wonder if the whole mech/gene augment thing will be a rare occurence among your troops, like the psychic thing.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Was there any mention about more psychic choices for those with the Gift?

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
So basically with the gene upgrades and mechs we've now got space marines and dreadnoughts?

Awesome. Though I do worry about balancing, they'd better have something hefty up their sleeve in terms of new aliens to keep it a challenge.

Also I hope they're addressing the fact that an Impossible run starts off as, well, impossible, but quickly becomes too easy. Base invasions should be fantastic though and keep things interesting.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A friend recently gifted me this on steam. It actually plays on my laptop despite causing it to run hot enough to melt the one ring. Thoroughly enjoying it so far, I just completed the mission in the alien base so I'm not too far in I don't think. I like that it's difficult but it does promote save-scrumming. One mistake can leave your entire squad screwed and the aliens will be even tougher next mission before you can train anyone new. I also develop irrational hatreds for certain team members quite a lot. Once I sent all the people I liked up onto a balcony overlooking the map, and sent the two guys I hated scouting ahead for enemies.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
You come to love Council missions as Squaddie Training Day, though. Last time, I took a new Support, Assault, and Heavy on Babby's First Mission. Accompanying them were Jesus "Nobodyfuckswiththe""Psycho" Ramirez, my brick tank Assault, "Doc" Martin (The game did that), a Support and bearer of my only suit of Ghost armor to keep the kids from skinning their knees too hard, and my squadsight sniper to clean up their messes if I accidently left someone in a position to get critflanked by all the thin men.

All three ended up earning their nicknames. A few missions later, a surprise terror mission showed up when several of the A-team were in sickbay and the B-team were in the psilab, so the three ended up going on a "real" mission. Support and Heavy bit it, Assault lives on because they're always in heaviest armor/chitlin armor and serve as the scout for the rest of the gang, so anything that could threaten them too much tends to either get blown away or hit by a CQC reaction shot. :xcom:

Amusingly, Psycho Jesus ended up as my one non-squaddie Psionic troop.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

EmmyOk posted:

A friend recently gifted me this on steam. It actually plays on my laptop despite causing it to run hot enough to melt the one ring. Thoroughly enjoying it so far, I just completed the mission in the alien base so I'm not too far in I don't think. I like that it's difficult but it does promote save-scrumming. One mistake can leave your entire squad screwed and the aliens will be even tougher next mission before you can train anyone new. I also develop irrational hatreds for certain team members quite a lot. Once I sent all the people I liked up onto a balcony overlooking the map, and sent the two guys I hated scouting ahead for enemies.

Just so you know, if you get two guys smeared on the first contact, you can always roll back to the skyranger and get the gently caress outta dodge. Building up a sizable memorial wall to scare the poo poo out of rookies is integral to the XCOM experience.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Archenteron posted:

You come to love Council missions as Squaddie Training Day, though. Last time, I took a new Support, Assault, and Heavy on Babby's First Mission. Accompanying them were Jesus "Nobodyfuckswiththe""Psycho" Ramirez, my brick tank Assault, "Doc" Martin (The game did that), a Support and bearer of my only suit of Ghost armor to keep the kids from skinning their knees too hard, and my squadsight sniper to clean up their messes if I accidently left someone in a position to get critflanked by all the thin men.

All three ended up earning their nicknames. A few missions later, a surprise terror mission showed up when several of the A-team were in sickbay and the B-team were in the psilab, so the three ended up going on a "real" mission. Support and Heavy bit it, Assault lives on because they're always in heaviest armor/chitlin armor and serve as the scout for the rest of the gang, so anything that could threaten them too much tends to either get blown away or hit by a CQC reaction shot. :xcom:

Amusingly, Psycho Jesus ended up as my one non-squaddie Psionic troop.

Squaddie Training Day all right, it's a great way to get your vets killed by squaddies.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wish I could tell my useless soldiers that I would send them to battle in pots and pans if I could, to really put the fear of God into them. After that story mission all my best guys are on sick leave and I have to take on some aliens with B-listers and rookies. Is everyone supposed to die in the very first tutorial mission? All my guys did bar one, which seemed mean because the game told me where to place everyone.

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I wish I could tell my useless soldiers that I would send them to battle in pots and pans if I could, to really put the fear of God into them. After that story mission all my best guys are on sick leave and I have to take on some aliens with B-listers and rookies. Is everyone supposed to die in the very first tutorial mission? All my guys did bar one, which seemed mean because the game told me where to place everyone.

Yeah, the game murders 3/4 dudes in the tutorial. I guess to desensitize you or something? :xcom:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

dumpster17 posted:

Yeah, the game murders 3/4 dudes in the tutorial. I guess to desensitize you or something? :xcom:

Most games show you what to do in the tutorial. XCOM shows you what not to do!

And yeah, it's probably also intended to show you at the very outset that your dudes will die, and that unlike many other games you can keep going when it happens.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I do like that they start complaining that your meat shield count is getting a little low.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Once my best guy ,'Ghost' Vasquez, got pinned by some thin men. I had no one who could fire on them in that turn though. So I just moved my two least favourite guys out of cover as near to them as possible to draw fire. No regrets, all is fair in love and war.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

LightWarden posted:

Eyes
-Some sort of corrective vision that grants an aim bonus on targets you've previously missed. Demonstrated on a heavy in the PAX video.
-???

Does this really need spoilers?

The second eye slot is probably going to be cloak detection - iirc there were was some strong hinting towards that.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I really don't like this new system they added of having to choose between abduction missions. It's not just that it's annoyingly contrived, it's also that the old game didn't really seem to need it. Sometimes you just missed UFOs because your poo poo sucked, other times you were just too loving poor and wounded to intercept them, and other times those night terror missions just aren't loving worth it so you swallow the budget hit.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Mr. Wynand posted:

I really don't like this new system they added of having to choose between abduction missions. It's not just that it's annoyingly contrived, it's also that the old game didn't really seem to need it. Sometimes you just missed UFOs because your poo poo sucked, other times you were just too loving poor and wounded to intercept them, and other times those night terror missions just aren't loving worth it so you swallow the budget hit.
Excellent summation. You rocket-punched the sectoid through the head concerning deficits in XCOM's strategic game.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

EmmyOk posted:

Once my best guy ,'Ghost' Vasquez, got pinned by some thin men. I had no one who could fire on them in that turn though. So I just moved my two least favourite guys out of cover as near to them as possible to draw fire. No regrets, all is fair in love and war.
I think you have a promising career in the game, a career that may yet make you a full Commissar (me beaming all :smug:)

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 3, 2013

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Mr. Wynand posted:

I've noticed that the abductions are way more enjoyable when I've enabled ShowUFOsOnMission (and switched on abductions in covered countries) because it means there aren't always 3 a month (or necessarily even 1). I think an easy way to rebalance this (if all of these were alterable) would be to make terror missions the main way aliens increased panic across the globe (as you'd expect). If it took like, saving more than like 5/6 of the civilians on a terror map to decrease national panic, with progressively worse consequences for saving even fewer (like, saving 1 civvie would only result in dropping the region-wide panic increase down to 1 instead of 2) then terror missions might work better at the thing they seem like they're supposed to do on the strategic layer. Meanwhile, abductions could be another way for players to manage panic if you usually only got 1-2 at a time (possibly 3 if you're unlucky, and maybe a guaranteed 1 if you downed an abductor beforehand). Seriously, I don't think I can go back to playing the game with a guaranteed 3 abductions per month again, but dang, the extra UFO missions get tedious.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Mr. Wynand posted:

Feels like one of those Sid Meierisms that come from designing the game as a boardgame first.

I'd like to see them rebalance Squad Sight snipers more than just add the squid thing, two of those just makes pretty much anything trivial short of storming Battleships. Some Damage drop-off perhaps?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

I'd like to see them rebalance Squad Sight snipers more than just add the squid thing, two of those just makes pretty much anything trivial short of storming Battleships. Some Damage drop-off perhaps?
If Long War is any indication, -20% aim is a pretty hefty hit to your accuracy, though I think LW also messed with their aim growth. Still, especially in the early game, that's really going to eat at the ability of your snipers to get kills.

edit: I'd like to see the Alloy line of weapons expanded instead of just being the plasma shotgun. Firing bits of alien spacecraft at ludicrously high speeds into aliens is just so awesome.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 3, 2013

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Mr. Wynand posted:

After playing Long War, I prefer the EU mission system. It makes the geoscape actually interesting instead of a terrible slog of missions/ufos every 1-2 days.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I would love it if the expansion pack added some sort of gun, that fired some sort of "bolts", that are basically miniature rockets. Oh and they gib aliens. If they have time can you add some sort of sword, that is also a chain saw? And some cherubs that follow my librar i mean psychic guys. And maybe constantly praise/remark how they are doing everything in the service of the emperor Bradford?

:downs:

I want it so badly :negative:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Feels like one of those Sid Meierisms that come from designing the game as a boardgame first.

You won't be able to get crits when squadsighting, unless you use Headshot. Also, the aim penalty for the other skill at the same tier (what's it called again?) will be reduced to -10.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

If Long War is any indication, -20% aim is a pretty hefty hit to your accuracy, though I think LW also messed with their aim growth. Still, especially in the early game, that's really going to eat at the ability of your snipers to get kills.

The LW is a bit more balanced than that, you get a aim penalty for using squad sight, but for every person who can actually see the alien your about to shoot the is reduced (not elimated mind you). I also like the scout class it introduced, which is more of a reverse sniper, instead of having abilities that increase it's own aiming it instead has abilities that increase everyone else's aim.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Pimpmust posted:

Oh absolutely. But it just doesn't boil down to a "fun" choice. The promotions choices are fun even when they are tough because you are choosing between which of these two delicious pies you'd like to have, whereas the abduction choice is more like which one of these 3 kittens do you save? The other two will definitely drown, so it's all on you you monster! Who wants that? And sure, you could say that it adds to the spirit of the game, but like I said, I don't think it does, it just feels too arbitrary. The older game really made you believe that gently caress man, we just can't afford to save everyone ok? Sometimes we can, but sometimes we just can't because the aliens are too scary and we are poo poo out of high explosives for the month.

I'm not saying the mission slog is the way to fix it necessarily - just, this system isn't it :colbert:

Also the Impossible strategic game is just bullshit.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I thought there was some other mod than LW that removed the abduction restriction, so that if your transport could make it across the world you could do more missions, but perhaps not all. Without turning into a slog, its all in the #mission count for the month.

There are som other annoying Sid Meierisms in the strategic play that really come out at the higher difficulties as you say.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

wolfman101 posted:

After playing Long War, I prefer the EU mission system. It makes the geoscape actually interesting instead of a terrible slog of missions/ufos every 1-2 days.

Long War isn't the only way to implement an alternative system, and the original XCOM wasn't a terrible slog of daily missions. Saying the EU mission system is better than original XCOM's because Long War is kind of a lovely mod is a really dishonest argument to make.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 3, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mr. Wynand posted:

Oh absolutely. But it just doesn't boil down to a "fun" choice. The promotions choices are fun even when they are tough because you are choosing between which of these two delicious pies you'd like to have, whereas the abduction choice is more like which one of these 3 kittens do you save? The other two will definitely drown, so it's all on you you monster! Who wants that? And sure, you could say that it adds to the spirit of the game, but like I said, I don't think it does, it just feels too arbitrary. The older game really made you believe that gently caress man, we just can't afford to save everyone ok? Sometimes we can, but sometimes we just can't because the aliens are too scary and we are poo poo out of high explosives for the month.

I'm not saying the mission slog is the way to fix it necessarily - just, this system isn't it :colbert:

Also the Impossible strategic game is just bullshit.

Yeah there's definitely no reason why it has to be either Long War's repetitive grind or vanilla's arbitrary win-1-lose-2 scenario. Long War's solution is simply what you end up with when you want to give the player the ability to act, but don't change the fundamental way the abductions are structured. There's no reason they can't give the player greater agency over whether or not they act on an abduction and thereby make the player actually feel responsible for failing to act. Right now it's more of a "which country is the most panicked? Okay, go there" without even a drop sympathy for the other two sites, because there's fuckall I can do so who cares.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of the best things the original game did was give you the illusion that you could save everyone even though you really couldn't, which made the times when you couldn't and a country pulls all of its funding all the more impactful. It felt like it was genuinely on you, and not just the result of arbitrary game mechanics. The Geoscape in XCOM:EU in general is just so much worse than the original's, I really hope for any potential sequel they take a long look at what they have and make some radical changes. It doesn't have to be the same as the old xcom, it just shouldn't be worse.

• Locked thread