Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dogstile posted:

So far in the long war I can actually see tac vests and things in the engineering screen. The description say's "should never see this?". Is this with everyone elses version?

Also, kinda buggy, in my first mission it said one person had two grenades when they only had one. Minor complaints so far, i'm liking how the fights last longer. The "fire your whole clip at an alien each time you fire" thing is a bit tired though.

If your guns only have one shot per clip that means the mod was installed incorrectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zore posted:

If your guns only have one shot per clip that means the mod was installed incorrectly.

Righto, how am I supposed to do it? I just installed it to my Xcom EU folder, I assume it should have been in the XEW folder? When I was installing it I completely didn't realise that was an abbreviation.

VVVVVV

Yeah, its in my D drive, my C drive is an almost full SSD and i've not really fiddled with it.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 3, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

dogstile posted:

Right, how am I supposed to do it? I just installed it to my Xcom EU folder, I assume it should have been in the XEW folder? When I was installing it I completely didn't realise that was an abbreviation.

Unless you have installed to custom folders, the unpacker should automatically select the correct folder to install to.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

So far in the long war I can actually see tac vests and things in the engineering screen. The description say's "should never see this?". Is this with everyone elses version?

Also, kinda buggy, in my first mission it said one person had two grenades when they only had one. Minor complaints so far, i'm liking how the fights last longer. The "fire your whole clip at an alien each time you fire" thing is a bit tired though.
This is the number one sign that you didn't install it properly. You should have three assault rifle shots before needing to reload.

Also, coolest/most frustrating feature: when you rank up, it looks like you get some choice on your stat upgrades. For instance, my rocketeer just hit Lance Corporal (2nd promotion?). I can chose between three skills: HEAT Warheads, Covering Fire, Rapid Reaction. Seems like a no-brainer for HEAT, especially since the robotic enemies in LW are loving absurd. Thing is, the other two each give aim bonuses (covering fire gives 2, RR gives 3). HEAT doesn't. I mean, I'm still picking HEAT, but that's a really nice way to balance out what could otherwise be some really easy skill picks.

edit: I still got a small aim bonus (+1) when I picked HEAT, so I guess the other two would have given me an additional bonus? Fancy, especially since rocket dispersion is based on aim now.

edit: vvv I've seen a few forum posts claiming there's a bug when not installing to default and they have no idea why.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 3, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, i've cleared up some space in my C:\\ drive and i'm letting it install there now. I haven't got a clue why it isn't installing correctly as I checked which folder it should install to, did a clean install of xcom and then installed to the right folder and i'm still getting the issue.

E: Yeah, its working now. Loving it so far, but its more of a shootout than a tactical game on some of the maps due to finding enemies everywhere.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 4, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I alt-tabbed during the middle of a UFO raid for about 20 minutes and when I resumed the game it was playing this really weird ambient track I'd literally never heard in any of my playthroughs before. It was honestly a little bit creepy just because I thought I was familiar with everything in this game by now, including the sound design.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man it took all of like, 20 seconds for Long War to reignite that X-Com spark in me. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to normal X-Com after this. So many great changes, so much fun to actually outfit even your rookies instead of just having to take grenades on everyone because wtf else are they good for. It's crazy how much more engaging the beginning of the game is when you can take 6 guys on every mission and give them two items each. It's nice to be able to actually pick loadouts rather than just having everyone use the same thing while you wait for them to level up and be useful.

e: Although I'm really not a fan of grenades potentially doing 0 damage, even to sectoids that are just standing in the open one tile away.

VDay fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 4, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, after like, four proper tries I have to throw in the towel, I am just not metal enough for Ironman. I don't really consider myself tremendously reliant on the ability to reload, but I get really stressed out when a mission goes colossally bad and I can't reload for a do-over. I'm okay with my star fighting force slowly bleeding out by losing one or two in missions here and there, but losing like four of them when things go really south is just too much pressure for me.

I had to call it when, after a shaky espionage mission and EXALT base assault killed off a few of my best soldiers, I lost Durand, both of my star assaults, and my best Sniper in the one UFO assault. Still, some thoughts for it being my first proper EW game:

-The gene mods are pretty awesome, although I probably should've paced them better. Less 'sticking one of the A-Team in for the full package when it seems safe to', more of a slow trickle thing when there's someone to cover for them in case something happens in the 3-6 days they're in.
-I'm pretty sure the secondary heart mod is cursed, though. I gave it to two soldiers, a support and an assault, that were both really reliable members. But after they got that heart, they would go down in the first three turns, without fail. Usually without even firing off a shot.
-MECs are rad too. I hd both a fist and a flamethrower body, and while I feel like the first was probably more useful (and more fun), that's not to take anything away from the flamethrower. Enemies don't seem to panic as badly as my soldiers do, though, but that might just be me not really getting what they were doing.
-For the first time I tried some of the upgrades I wouldn't usually - namely a more mobile sniper and a more offensive, shotgun-based assault. I'll probably do the second one a lot more often, but as for the sniper... Well, I'll be sticking with the Squadsight side of the upgrades for the first one. Second can be more mobile.
-The EXALT missions were a real treat, I really enjoyed both the more tricky objectives and actually fighting EXALT. The last espionage mission hosed me over hard, because I had to defend a decoder that was in the middle of a pit where they could easily pick me off, but overall they were great fun. Only complaint I'd make is that it's a bit hard to tell them apart; I can identify problem aliens and pick them off first because they all look distinct, but I couldn't really tell EXALT apart until they whip out a medkit or something.
-Just as an aside, are EXALT meant to be the same as/related to the group from XCOM Declassified? I didn't play it, but I really couldn't help but notice they dressed the same and seem to use similar equipment.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 4, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cleretic posted:

-Just as an aside, are EXALT meant to be the same as/related to the group from XCOM Declassified? I didn't play it, but I really couldn't help but notice they dressed the same and seem to use similar equipment.

Sorta yes.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It was said somewhere that the EXALT style was just a reference to Bureau and that they were just everyday businessmen who could easily be called into action where needed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lunethex posted:

It was said somewhere that the EXALT style was just a reference to Bureau and that they were just everyday businessmen who could easily be called into action where needed.

Well yeah they're a drive-thru union. You can just hear them furiously asking if you want fries with that as your SHIV's sentinel module blasts them all away while they run in from the sides of the map.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Lunethex posted:

I always imagined it was an intentional jab at Bureau considering how incompetent they are. It's all there, really. Even the name can be broken down a bit, EX ALT, X ALT, Alternate XCOM. A shallow, inferior version of XCOM backed by a mindless corporate machine. They don't have assaults because the part where Bureau was originally supposed to be an FPS got axed.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Does anyone else think the helmet with the skull decal on it is cursed? Every soldier I've ever given it to has died horribly.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Blarghalt posted:

Does anyone else think the helmet with the skull decal on it is cursed? Every soldier I've ever given it to has died horribly.

To be fair every troop dies horribly, eventually.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
So finally started Ironman (after beating Classic several times). And man, am I immediately 10 times more cautious now that I'm expecting to squad-wipe every mission. It's pretty nuts.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It really is a whole new game. I'm usually not a fan of permadeath in games because I'm a big baby, but xcom is one of those games where it actually adds to the gameplay rather than just being a harsh punishment for when you screw up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you delete the officer training school after buying everything in it, do you lose all the upgrades from it or just the squad size ones?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Internet Kraken posted:

do you lose all the upgrades from it

This.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

If you delete the officer training school after buying everything in it, do you lose all the upgrades from it or just the squad size ones?

All of them, although obviously not any boosted will you already won (though future level-ups will increase Will by the poo poo amount until you rebuild it)

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Anybody know if Toolboks works ok with Long War? At least the general gameplay stuff like Turbo Mode or skipping the delay in between Overwatches. I imagine the class/soldier specific stuff wouldn't match, but I'm afraid to try it out in case it just blows my game up and I have to reinstall everything.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The only things that still work in Toolboks are "Skip start movies", "Disable continent abduction panic" and "Arcs in Pistol slot". Maybe the fast motion slider too. The latest patch broke the rest.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Fast motion slider breaks in tactical, but works in strategic. Check my post history for why. You can fix it pretty easily by copy pasting between ini files.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Holy poo poo, the interceptor game in the long war is so loving different. 200 xcombucks for a ship?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The interceptor part of the geoscape is one of the few parts of this game I legitimately hate. It doesn't feel like there's any real depth or tactics to it. I just build phoenix cannons and then don't touch anything ship related until I can make firestorms, which trivialize everything else. Its just feels like a matter of luck. A ship I can't handle might show up before the firestorm is done which sucks. If I invested a ton of resources into aircraft equipment though and then one didn't show up, I'll have blown a ton of money on nothing.

EDIT: Sometimes this game makes no sense.

HM GOOD THING THERE AREN'T ANY ALIENS HERE-

:derp:

Do Shivs not understand how ramps work or something?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 5, 2014

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Since other people are playing LW and that tech tree is weird as hell: what gets you Phoenix cannons in LW? And have you tried going for the next "tier" of guns yet? How did that work out and what did you pick?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
gently caress you, aliens!

I'm in July in my current playthrough, and I've not managed a single capture yet. Not one. Every time I try to set up for a capture, either I fail the 90% chance, the target suicides the turn before I can try for the stun, or the captive ends up dying because of alien explosive fuckery. I'm running two assaults with flashbangs and arc throwers, and twice I've run out of charges on the throwers without a capture.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cleretic posted:

Okay, after like, four proper tries I have to throw in the towel, I am just not metal enough for Ironman. I don't really consider myself tremendously reliant on the ability to reload, but I get really stressed out when a mission goes colossally bad and I can't reload for a do-over. I'm okay with my star fighting force slowly bleeding out by losing one or two in missions here and there, but losing like four of them when things go really south is just too much pressure for me.

If ironman is just busting your balls ridiculously hard and you want "ironman lite," alt-f4 will close you out of the game instantly, usually meaning that you restart at the beginning of the turn. It's useful for misclicks and line of sight bullshit and so forth, or for when you realize "gently caress, I meant to move the other guy first," so forth.

The other trick is keeping a reserve. I usually don't have my entire A-team on any one mission, instead using two veterans, two mid-level guys, and two absolute rookies. On Exalt missions or other missions I expect to be easy that might be four midlevels and two rookies, or even 3 and 3. That way if you gently caress up and have a near-total wipe you still have enough of a base to recover.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 5, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I heartily recommend alt-f4'ing for any ironman run where you don't want bullshit los or misclick issues stressing you out. I've only completed one ironman for everything game that hasn't made me want to tear my hair out and that was because any misclicks I did turned out ok. I don't see how anyone can go through an entire game without a weird LOS bug so i'm cool with alt-f4ing

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If ironman is just busting your balls ridiculously hard and you want "ironman lite," alt-f4 will close you out of the game instantly, usually meaning that you restart at the beginning of the turn. It's useful for misclicks and line of sight bullshit and so forth, or for when you realize "gently caress, I meant to move the other guy first," so forth.

The other trick is keeping a reserve. I usually don't have my entire A-team on any one mission, instead using two veterans, two mid-level guys, and two absolute rookies. On Exalt missions or other missions I expect to be easy that might be four midlevels and two rookies, or even 3 and 3.

Yeah, I was typically spreading it out, I think at my peak I had somewhere around a dozen 'usable' soldiers - not always top-class, but solid enough substitutes. But then in my last game session a combination of complacency, bad luck and being taken by surprise meant I just kept losing soldiers.

And while I'm aware of that shutdown trick I don't really want to use it. On top of being just a cheap cheat, it doesn't often save me from my real problems. I wanted a step up from just a Normal difficulty game since I know I'm at least better than that, but I misjudged my game sense in relation to the demands of Ironman. I'm thinking I should instead go for a non-Ironman Classic run, since that's an environment that still punishes mistakes and poor play, but gives you room to go back and adapt to it. Being forced to live with your mistakes is a great take on a challenge run, but it's really not a good idea to go for it before you know what you're doing.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

If ironman is just busting your balls ridiculously hard and you want "ironman lite," alt-f4 will close you out of the game instantly, usually meaning that you restart at the beginning of the turn.

And if you want 'lite lite' there's the restart mission option for the pause menu:
http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/397/

Which I like because I figure having to start from the very beginning of a mission is a fair enough compromise between living by the consequences of the game and being able to undo things that are just silly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh god, the long war EW is dickish. I got my first terror mission and you're still on ballistics by then. I went "cool" and stocked up on rockets.

It put me on loving newfoundland. Yes, they burst out of the sharks too.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 5, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Does Long War still have that terrible resting mechanic?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is long war supposed to make all my dudes sleeveless regardless of gene modding? Because I might have hosed it up

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Brainamp posted:

Does Long War still have that terrible resting mechanic?

Yes. I kinda like it to be honest, five days is nothing and its making sure I switch poo poo around.

Danaru posted:

Is long war supposed to make all my dudes sleeveless regardless of gene modding? Because I might have hosed it up

Your guys start out wearing tactical vests. Less health for more mobility. You can change them to the normal armour in the loadout screen.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Honestly the resting mechanic is ok, it seems to be lessened and the time increase for taking soldiers already fatigued is not so bad anymore either. What gets me is that by month 2 you are seeing large UFOs with packs of 4+ thin men each of which have 6 or 7 health. The devs really don't seem to understand that cramming 20 aliens into a map designed for 7 doesn't improve gameplay. It just means there is a good chance you are going to set off 4 packs on your first move. This basically auto fails the mission with no possible way for the player to avoid the scenario. Congrats, you rolled a 1, game over, the end.

The air game suffers from this too. It is still quite possible for the first ufo you see to dodge/outfight all your starting planes.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 5, 2014

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

dogstile posted:

Your guys start out wearing tactical vests. Less health for more mobility. You can change them to the normal armour in the loadout screen.

I've been awake too drat long :frogdowns:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Carnalfex posted:

The air game suffers from this too. It is still quite possible for the first ufo you see to dodge/outfit all your starting planes.

The game's balanced around that though, so that letting UFOs go doesn't cause game-ending panic in a month. I think a major focus of the mod is to get away from the satellite rush, instant-fail nature of the base game. I'm like a month and a half in and have let a bunch of large UFOs go because I just can't shoot them down, and the highest panic I have is Australia at a little over two. I do have a country leave like two weeks into the campaign every time I've played which is kind of annoying, and I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I have a chance to stop them (panic wasn't high at all) or if they just do that so you can't get every bonus.

Also the fatigue mechanic is great when combined with all the soldier options you get. It actually feels like I have a stable of guys and I'm forming actual squads/fire teams when I send them out rather than just using the same 6 soldiers the entire game. Also there's an OTS/medal upgrade that reduces fatigue after a mission, although I don't know if they stack if you have multiple guys in the same squad with the upgrade.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

VDay posted:

I do have a country leave like two weeks into the campaign every time I've played which is kind of annoying, and I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I have a chance to stop them (panic wasn't high at all) or if they just do that so you can't get every bonus.

I was looking through the readme and apparently that's intentional. The readme says there are missions added to the mod to let you re-take lost countries, and countries that bug off in spite of low panic is because of something the aliens did. I haven't played far enough in yet to see if that's true or not, but hopefully I'll get Mexico back one day.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

VDay posted:

The game's balanced around that though, so that letting UFOs go doesn't cause game-ending panic in a month. I think a major focus of the mod is to get away from the satellite rush, instant-fail nature of the base game. I'm like a month and a half in and have let a bunch of large UFOs go because I just can't shoot them down, and the highest panic I have is Australia at a little over two. I do have a country leave like two weeks into the campaign every time I've played which is kind of annoying, and I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I have a chance to stop them (panic wasn't high at all) or if they just do that so you can't get every bonus.

Feature, not bug. A country always leaves the council in every LW game because the Alien Base mission "liberates" that country and brings it back into the council. Moreover, every country that leaves the council spawns another Alien Base mission which, if successful, brings that country back into the council.

So the mechanic is several orders of magnitude more awesome than vanilla and really makes you feel like you are locked in a life or death struggle for the fate of the Earth with the alien foe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexybarat
Oct 5, 2012

I ain't afraid of no rolley coaster

I only did this once on my first victorious EW classic ironman playthrough. On Newfoundland, making our way back to the dropship after calling in the airstrike, I told one of my assaults to grapple onto the pier to get off of the docks. He proceeds to grapple, and some kind of math must have gone wrong, because his forward momentum from the grapple never ends and he SHOOTS OFF INTO SPACE. Realizing that this was an instant death sentence for my assault (who had quite a bit of veterancy), I panicked and hit alt+f4 instantly. Still kind of felt like a cheating jerk about it, even though it was COMPLETE bullshit.

• Locked thread