Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

wolfman101 posted:

How on earth are you supposed to get interrogations in LW? I have 2 floaters chilling in containment, but there is no option to interrogate them.

You can't interrogate them until you've autopsied them, and for some reason you need to research some basic flight tech before you can autopsy Floaters in LW. They're basically the one thing you can capture early that you can't interrogate early, for no real reason. Go catch a Thin Man or a Sectoid or even a Muton instead and you should have better luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

gnome7 posted:

You can't interrogate them until you've autopsied them, and for some reason you need to research some basic flight tech before you can autopsy Floaters in LW. They're basically the one thing you can capture early that you can't interrogate early, for no real reason. Go catch a Thin Man or a Sectoid or even a Muton instead and you should have better luck.

Thanks for that. Any idea what the basic flight tech I need is?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wolfman101 posted:

Pretty sure Floater autopsies need alien biocybernetics, which need xenoneurology (which you have if you have arc throwers) and...alien materials? alien computers? Not sure there. Check out your tech tree; it should be in your XEW folder, labeled lwtt.jpg

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 14, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

wolfman101 posted:

You need Alien Biocybernetics, which requires Alien Materials, Alien Computers, and Xenogenetics. Alien Biocybernetics also unlocks Cyberdisc and Mechtoid autopsies.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Dongsturm posted:

I hope they don't blindly follow the original series, and set it somewhere new, perhaps underground. The earth is hollow and at the centre is an immense alien base, and humans have been living on it, completely oblivious, for millennia.

New features include upside down maps, magma-men, and a climactic final battle in which your best team blows apart a giant stalactite with explosives, dropping gigtonnes of rock onto the alien base.

... It'll probably just be underwater :zoid:

Let's not forget what Jake Solomon tweeted some time ago:

"I'm going to steal a shitload of stuff from that movie. #Elysium"

So I'm guessing we will be seeing:

1) A scorched Earth for the sequel;

AND/OR

2) Space battles, maybe a space base etc.

Which would be super cool, actually. We didn't get to see a Cydonia equivalent in this new game, it would be cool to have battles in some alien environments too. That alien garden in the original game's alien bases was always kind of terrifying to me.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Holy gently caress. LW base defense is insane. I haven't faced anything worse than a muton and it drops 2 mechtoids, a sectoid commander, and 2 chryssalids in the first wave. I haven't even gotten off of ballistic weapons yet. Guess I should put this back down and wait for beta 7.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wolfman101 posted:

Holy gently caress. LW base defense is insane. I haven't faced anything worse than a muton and it drops 2 mechtoids, a sectoid commander, and 2 chryssalids in the first wave. I haven't even gotten off of ballistic weapons yet. Guess I should put this back down and wait for beta 7.
Yeah, the base defense is...rough. Not being able to ensure that you have HEAT ammo (because you can't pick your squad) limiting you to 6 guys (when everything else has been balanced for 8) and generally being all kinds of "what the gently caress is this" means its hard. Its doable, though, and also not a game over anymore. I'd seen Mechtoids literally two weeks before and the first wave dropped 2 cyberdiscs, a cyberdisc leader, two heavy floaters, two berserkers, and two Mutons on me. Also some unknown level of chrysalids. The last wave dropped a Sectopod, a sectoid commander, some cyberdiscs, and four Mechtoids. I also managed to beat it with no "real" (eight blueshirts died) casualties and only a couple of days in the medbay. It turns out that unleashing your top six guys with your top gear on aliens can be really, really dominating. So keep at it, you might actually surprise yourself at how effective you're going to be.

All I can suggest is that you use the grenades of your blueshirts very, very liberally. Hopefully you're close to Gauss tech, though its also possible you might just be hosed on a strategic level. How much meld are you getting from missions, how many countries have you lost, and how many continents you control? What techs did you focus on? I got my first base defense in August after I'd had Gauss for a while, had played with pulse lasers, and was working on getting my guys mobile power armor (Banshee/Aegis).

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, the base defense is...rough. Not being able to ensure that you have HEAT ammo (because you can't pick your squad) limiting you to 6 guys (when everything else has been balanced for 8) and generally being all kinds of "what the gently caress is this" means its hard. Its doable, though, and also not a game over anymore. I'd seen Mechtoids literally two weeks before and the first wave dropped 2 cyberdiscs, a cyberdisc leader, two heavy floaters, two berserkers, and two Mutons on me. Also some unknown level of chrysalids. The last wave dropped a Sectopod, a sectoid commander, some cyberdiscs, and four Mechtoids. I also managed to beat it with no "real" (eight blueshirts died) casualties and only a couple of days in the medbay. It turns out that unleashing your top six guys with your top gear on aliens can be really, really dominating. So keep at it, you might actually surprise yourself at how effective you're going to be.

All I can suggest is that you use the grenades of your blueshirts very, very liberally. Hopefully you're close to Gauss tech, though its also possible you might just be hosed on a strategic level. How much meld are you getting from missions, how many countries have you lost, and how many continents you control? What techs did you focus on? I got my first base defense in August after I'd had Gauss for a while, had played with pulse lasers, and was working on getting my guys mobile power armor (Banshee/Aegis).

I think my problem was that I didn't know how reliant everything is on having engineers. When I b-lined for air tech I got screwed because I had like one workshop and the game was being very stingy about engineer rewards. By the time the base assault hit I was getting 8 meld per canister.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Am I correct in assuming that Sectoids aren't going to dry up in Long War the way they do in vanilla? Because I keep getting pretty attractive offers to swap their corpses for scientists, and while it's hard to say no I don't want to lock myself out of any research opportunities/consumables for later.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Axeface posted:

Am I correct in assuming that Sectoids aren't going to dry up in Long War the way they do in vanilla? Because I keep getting pretty attractive offers to swap their corpses for scientists, and while it's hard to say no I don't want to lock myself out of any research opportunities/consumables for later.
They do, though not as quickly and not as solidly. They'll still appear when Mechtoids hit the field, and every once in a while they'll appear on really, really easy abduction missions. If you've autopsied them, I don't think they have much more to offer. They don't, iirc, have any consumables. Floaters, Cyberdiscs, and Drones are the ones you need to keep around for air-to-air consumables.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Axeface posted:

They continue to show up fairly routinely throughout at least the summer of 2015.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Is there an up-to-date class skill list and tech tree for long war (beta 6)? I can't figure out where the gently caress to research anything. The manual that comes with the installer for Beta 6 doesn't seem correct at all. The air war is already frustrating and it gets doubly so when fighter upgrades don't appear where you're expecting.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Deuce posted:

Is there an up-to-date class skill list and tech tree for long war (beta 6)? I can't figure out where the gently caress to research anything. The manual that comes with the installer for Beta 6 doesn't seem correct at all. The air war is already frustrating and it gets doubly so when fighter upgrades don't appear where you're expecting.

Tech Tree

Perk Tree

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Jesus Christ.

This explains why my research is so hosed, though. Think I'll start over, this air war is a lost cause. Do people try to stick to just one, maybe two continents so they can flood it with a full six interceptors? Or maybe just rush air tech because ballistics seem effective enough for quite a while. Seems to be the only way to keep up. Also, gently caress Asia's airspace. A couple times I could only engage a scout with one interceptor because it would disappear too fast and the flight times are long. They should move the air base into China so it's a bit more central.

Thanks.

edit: also, gently caress bomb missions. Bring more grenades.

poliander
Oct 31, 2013
Great fan of this game. Playing through the Enemy Within now slowly ...Diablo takes too much time ....
Just wish there was a training option providing for more accuracy. That works a bit better then scope that is :).
Or just reduce the rng by a smidgen. And i would be a happy man. Nothing worse then your sniper missing on 70% hit chance :).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

poliander posted:

Nothing worse then your sniper missing on 70% hit chance :).

There is something worse than this, and it's a soldier missing a point blank 98% chance, then later in the game the same soldier missing two 95% double tap shots in a row.

I can see why some people might like those kinds of RNG mechanics but I think I've had enough of them, combined with the game's bugs. To me it feels like kind of a lazy substitute for deep mechanics, because you can make the exact same (strategically sound) decision two times in a row, where the first time it works perfectly and the second time it completely fucks you over. When both times you didn't actually do anything wrong. Turn based strategy games seem to absolutely love this kind of thing for some reason so I haven't found one I really like since Advance Wars Days of Ruin.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

There is something worse than this, and it's a soldier missing a point blank 98% chance, then later in the game the same soldier missing two 95% double tap shots in a row.

I can see why some people might like those kinds of RNG mechanics but I think I've had enough of them, combined with the game's bugs. To me it feels like kind of a lazy substitute for deep mechanics, because you can make the exact same (strategically sound) decision two times in a row, where the first time it works perfectly and the second time it completely fucks you over. When both times you didn't actually do anything wrong. Turn based strategy games seem to absolutely love this kind of thing for some reason so I haven't found one I really like since Advance Wars Days of Ruin.

The worst thing is missing a 100% chance shot. Because the game has decimals and rounds up. :downs:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

poliander posted:

Great fan of this game. Playing through the Enemy Within now slowly ...Diablo takes too much time ....
Just wish there was a training option providing for more accuracy. That works a bit better then scope that is :).
Or just reduce the rng by a smidgen. And i would be a happy man. Nothing worse then your sniper missing on 70% hit chance :).

Nothing worse? How many 70% shots do you take over the course of a couple missions?

Because you're going to miss three out of ten. 51% does not mean it "should" hit. So how do you "reduce" the RNG? Make a 70% chance shot actually hit 90% of the time?

Deuce fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 16, 2014

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Without an RNG in a turn-based strategy you can literally find a formula to complete the game, though.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Deuce posted:

Jesus Christ.

This explains why my research is so hosed, though. Think I'll start over, this air war is a lost cause. Do people try to stick to just one, maybe two continents so they can flood it with a full six interceptors? Or maybe just rush air tech because ballistics seem effective enough for quite a while. Seems to be the only way to keep up. Also, gently caress Asia's airspace. A couple times I could only engage a scout with one interceptor because it would disappear too fast and the flight times are long. They should move the air base into China so it's a bit more central.

Thanks.

Yes, all of this is completely accurate. Beelining for Gauss and then Air is generally regarded as optimal, but you can maybe go Air first.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Dux Supremus posted:

Yes, all of this is completely accurate. Beelining for Gauss and then Air is generally regarded as optimal, but you can maybe go Air first.

Good to know I'm on the right track now. Glad I figured this out now instead of in like October.

Next question: There's a little shield icon at the end of the panic bars now. What's that mean?

Deuce fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 16, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It doesn't change the fact that Asia is still a pain to defend, but you can right-click to back out of the world view after your interceptor has finished engaging, and then re-click 'Mission Control' and click on the UFO and send another plane out immediately rather than having to wait for the first plane to come all the way back.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Deuce posted:

Next question: There's a little shield icon at the end of the panic bars now. What's that mean?
It represents the ability of the country in question to defend itself against panic events like UFOs bombing them, based on requests you've fulfilled for them. In actual practice it slows panic increase, though it's not really clear by how much just from play or eyeballing things. It's a nice side benefit but not really something to worry too much about itself.

VDay posted:

It doesn't change the fact that Asia is still a pain to defend, but you can right-click to back out of the world view after your interceptor has finished engaging, and then re-click 'Mission Control' and click on the UFO and send another plane out immediately rather than having to wait for the first plane to come all the way back.
Oooh, this is a good tip. Wasn't aware this was a thing.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Yeah, I can't imagine why a game with percentage chances would actually be true to those percentages. Doesn't everybody know that any number over 70% is supposed to be equal to 100%??? Gosh, it's as though there's some sort of randomness built right into the game. They should really consider displaying the chance of failure at every turn somehow.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I'm not sure what Long War did to meld placement, but I seem to see meld containers on roofs more often, and on maps that were originally terror maps, sometimes this:

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
I've seen that exact configuration of Meld canisters probably at least 90% of the time that map's come up. Might just be fixed that way.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Deuce posted:

Jesus Christ.

Thanks.

For bomb missions, all soldiers get a medikit, and bring assaults. Run and Gun is the most efficient way to deal with nodes.

Roobanguy posted:

The worst thing is missing a 100% chance shot. Because the game has decimals and rounds up. :downs:

100% misses do occur, but it is actually due to a graphical glitch. Projectiles carry weapon damage in this game, so if the projectile does not impact the target despite rolling a hit on the RNG then damage does not occur.

RNG Haters posted:

Why is the RNG so statistically accurate all the time?

Because you chose not to play on Normal mode. Normal mode cheats for you, turning misses into hits and enemy hits into misses. If you don't like an accurate RNG play Normal Mode.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 16, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you didn't have a backup plan in case of failure then it wasn't a strategically sound decision in the first place. Risk management is a huge part of proper strategy.

Also funny you bring up Advance Wars. I generally dislike that series because it doesn't feel like they're strategy games to me, but puzzle games. Every map is designed with a correct solution that you puzzle out.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 16, 2014

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Setting up the situation for an almost certain victory, then having everything go pear-shaped and leaving you completely exposed on the enemy turn is exactly what makes this game so great. The satisfaction you get from pushing the panic away and trying to put together a back-up plan and picking which half of your squad to let die is really difficult to find in games these days.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Beagle just started his third I/I youtube campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUeHJ2RU1e0

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lima posted:

Oooh, exciting stuff. I'm hoping that Beta 7 happens to coincide with his first 'We're hosed, new campaign' failure, as it sounds like they've evened out a lot of the imbalances with the next version.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Lima posted:

He's been talking about how well this campaign's been going on his stream for a while now, so can't wait.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Lima posted:

So is the first mission always this map, then?

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

dyzzy posted:

I think, since xcom uses an algorithm to pick from your least played maps and this map doesn't show up in vanilla, that this is generally your first map. And probably your 3rd and 6th too if you are like me.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Double post, but, is it just me or does lightning reflexes actually a multiplier and not a subtractor. I get hit with way too many shots for it to work like everything else in xcom. For example I just got nailed while dashing my scout. If it was a subtractor like everything else you would need 75 for lightning reflexes, 20 for dashing, and 20 for the overwatch penalty, so 115 aim just to even have a chance to hit a dashing scout. But if it is a multiplier, then an 80 aim enemy would actually have a 10% chance to hit, which seems about right.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

dyzzy posted:

I just started a new game and it was a different map.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Roobanguy posted:

I just started a new game and it was a different map.

So far for me it's either that one in the video or the gas station.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
New game starting out right. Got a landed abductor near the end of the first month and it was the map with the high ground at the start and the aliens that trickle out of the ship. 19 aliens dead and I think they got 2 shots off total. Now I am swimming in res.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wolfman101 posted:

Double post, but, is it just me or does lightning reflexes actually a multiplier and not a subtractor. I get hit with way too many shots for it to work like everything else in xcom. For example I just got nailed while dashing my scout. If it was a subtractor like everything else you would need 75 for lightning reflexes, 20 for dashing, and 20 for the overwatch penalty, so 115 aim just to even have a chance to hit a dashing scout. But if it is a multiplier, then an 80 aim enemy would actually have a 10% chance to hit, which seems about right.
Its a multiplier, yes. There's been some discussion over on the LW forums about reworking it. For what its worth, both dashing and overwatch are multipliers too (0.7 each, multiplicative with each other). A Sectoid shooting at a dashing scout has (65 Aim)*(0.49 dashing and overwatch)*(0.25 Lightning Reflexes) = ~ 8% chance of hitting your guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Ravenfood posted:

Its a multiplier, yes. There's been some discussion over on the LW forums about reworking it. For what its worth, both dashing and overwatch are multipliers too (0.7 each, multiplicative with each other). A Sectoid shooting at a dashing scout has (65 Aim)*(0.49 dashing and overwatch)*(0.25 Lightning Reflexes) = ~ 8% chance of hitting your guys.

Wow, that is pretty good chances considering you will break several overwatches per map. I guess I will be putting my scouts in armor from now on.

• Locked thread