Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Has anyone here ever, ever taken Legio Patria Nostra instead of Stay Frosty for a Lieutenant? I'm thinking about tinkering around with the .ini to move Stay Frosty to the automatic officer power and put Lead By Example next to Legio Patria Nostra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I sure haven't. But since I make most of my officers from snipers, taking something in place of Lead By Example would sure be nice.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I, meanwhile, don't think I've ever taken Stay Frosty. Early psions, which benefit from the will bonus, less panicking and stuff.

I haven't yet come across a situation where I need the minor boost to cooldown time - probably because I run a pretty big roster? I guess it means everyone levels a bit slower, admittedly... but it also means I'm never really short on anyone except the occassional scout.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
We replace all their limbs with robot parts and still make them treadmill. :(

MMania
May 7, 2008

Beagle posted:

A TALE OF MOST WOE, BY BEAGLE

As long as Berserkers can only Kool-Aid through "thin" cover it shouldn't be that bad. I've kited them around boxes and whatnot while their Muton buddies took pot shots plenty of times.

Unless they've somehow figured out a way to give Bullrush a two-tile range. My god, please tell me they haven't done that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

beerinator posted:

We replace all their limbs with robot parts and still make them treadmill. :(

They're still moving their remaining muscles and working up their heart rate! Gotta keep that heart healthy. Most important muscle.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The details in games are loving lovely.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

MMania posted:

As long as Berserkers can only Kool-Aid through "thin" cover it shouldn't be that bad. I've kited them around boxes and whatnot while their Muton buddies took pot shots plenty of times.

Unless they've somehow figured out a way to give Bullrush a two-tile range. My god, please tell me they haven't done that.

Bull Rush AI now will target "thick" cover.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

They're still moving their remaining muscles and working up their heart rate! Gotta keep that heart healthy. Most important muscle.

Without their limbs though their heart isn't doing nearly as much work as it usually would be, though. I'm pretty sure I said something like this the last time it came up, but basically without your biological limbs your best bet for exercise is probably something like core-focused weight training. Can't really do much about the cardio thing, other than lift faster :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, like I said, they still need to do cardio.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
I assume you also have to maintain synaptic connections to your mechanical body through usage. "Use it or lose it" still applies, as long as any part of you remains meaty

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty sure just getting around would take care of that.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Perhaps some part of them is horrified by the monstrous man-machine hybrid that they've become. They exercise not because their body needs it--their body needs hardly anything, anymore--but because it helps them feel normal.

Also it's a way to socialize and fill time during the four day "fatigue" break after every ten minute mission.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You idiots, its fine about fine motor control and learning to maintain balance! :goonsay:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I want XCOM 2 to have an MMO-style face customizer for the soldiers so I can make them look properly like my friends.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
They're there to hit on the other soldiers. You know how the Olympic Village is basically a giant fuckfest for all the athletes? These XCOM guys go out and shoot the hell out of giant Mutons and watch innocent civilians get torn in half by chrysalids ever few days. When they get back to base, they have to blow off some steam somehow. That's what the "fatigue" mechanic in LW really represents. It also explains why the officers get longer fatigue, because they get crazier sex and need more time to recover.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Lewd Mangabey posted:

They're there to hit on the other soldiers. You know how the Olympic Village is basically a giant fuckfest for all the athletes? These XCOM guys go out and shoot the hell out of giant Mutons and watch innocent civilians get torn in half by chrysalids ever few days. When they get back to base, they have to blow off some steam somehow. That's what the "fatigue" mechanic in LW really represents. It also explains why the officers get longer fatigue, because they get crazier sex and need more time to recover.

tell us more about your xcom slash fic

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
At what point do I get to research advanced alien sex techniques and complicated xenopositions so that my soldiers can finally take full advantage of this reverse-engineered futuristic bedroom technology?

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Vib Rib posted:

At what point do I get to research advanced alien sex techniques and complicated xenopositions so that my soldiers can finally take full advantage of this reverse-engineered futuristic bedroom technology?

Alien Entertainment.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Must be why it lowers panic.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
At least they're not playing... video games.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Orgophlax posted:

tell us more about your xcom slash fic

Got you covered

Speedball posted:

Brrr… Those things scare the poo poo out of me. And you’ve been a pretty good friend during all of this, no, a great friend during all this. So be careful, okay?
Well, all the more reason for me to get modded up, so I can help you out, right? I’ll be fine. See you in three days, okay? *hug*

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

scalded schlong posted:

Got you covered

I knew I shouldn't have gone down rabbit hole, but I did it anyway. :staredog:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
This is all the better reason to have fully developed face customization for our soldiers.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

This is all the better reason to have fully developed face customization for our soldiers.

And boob sliders. Don't forget boob sliders.

I want my SHIVs to be stacked.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

If the LW people have figured out how to inset new models, I fear what the Nexus community will come up with if they release it publicly.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Until I can have Pamela Poovey as an XCOM agent I won't be satisfied.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Orgophlax posted:

If the LW people have figured out how to inset new models, I fear what the Nexus community will come up with if they release it publicly.

Wrestlers. Lots and lots of wrestlers.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
It opens up a whole new landscape of what might be displayed on the base screen. For instance if you zoom in on the barracks. The exercise room.

Are there showers?

And of course, what Vahlen gets up to in the Lab.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Bloodly posted:

Imagine if every Berserker looked like Macho Man Randy Savage. What a glorious world that would be.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Hopeford posted:

Imagine if every Berserker looked like Macho Man Randy Savage. What a glorious world that would be.

Oh poo poo! Like that dragon mod thing where they all yell 'OH YEAH' when they breath fire? That'd be amazing.

I think Beagle would be less anti-berserker if they shouted 'Slam into a Slim Jim!' as they crashed through a wall and killed your guys.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Between combat stims, combat stim smoke from supports and combat rush pheromones there are a lot of drugs you can get going on everyone all at once.

Can you imagine how awesome or horrible it would be to have all going at once?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
On that many drugs, the least of your hallucinations will be seeing Macho Man Randy Savage coming for you with murder in his eyes and a slimjim in his teeth.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Xcom: RAW Within

Imagine The Undertaker Chokeslamming a puny sectoid, Tombstoning a Muton Bezerker or going old school on a Thin Man while Bradford (Jim Ross) provides a running commentary.

Imagine Steve Austin stunning an Ethereal, IMAGINE MANKIND PULLING OUT MR SOCKO AND STUFFING IT DOWN A CRYSSALIDS THROAT!

This needs to be a thing. Seriously.

Edit: Also, wish me luck guys. About to go on the final mission. No idea what awaits me...

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
So, just started Long War this week and have two questions.

1: How do change the camera pitch? I've seen some LW vids where the player pitches the view to scout for meld canisters, but couldn't find anywhere how to do it.

2: Satellite spam is out I understand, but will one still get decent coverage since each uplink gives only 1 base or does one have to be selective with regards to continent bonus?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Dervyn posted:

So, just started Long War this week and have two questions.

1: How do change the camera pitch? I've seen some LW vids where the player pitches the view to scout for meld canisters, but couldn't find anywhere how to do it.

2: Satellite spam is out I understand, but will one still get decent coverage since each uplink gives only 1 base or does one have to be selective with regards to continent bonus?

I believe it's F2-9.

And don't expand to multicontinental coverage until you can cover both with 6 interceptors.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I just had a couple of interesting things happen in Long War that I just had to share.

First off, I think Bradford just isn't trying anymore.

Then, this guy showed up a couple of days after the conclusion of Operation Falling Fall.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I have a TSGT Shaiming "Spitfire" Wang on my roster. Pretty good shot, too.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Bloodly posted:

Dude if I could make my colonel look like Hulk Hogan I'd do it yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Dude if I could make my colonel look like Hulk Hogan I'd do it yesterday