Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I know I haven't played xcom in a while i but just went code black on the starter mission in b14.

Ughhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
They got Gunslinger this patch, making their accuracy not completely terrible. You have to treat them more like vanilla Sectoids instead of roadbumps.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

This patch seems all around much more difficult. Even sticking my guys behind full cover at pretty long range, you still get unlucky hits that deal 8 damage. There isn't a whole hell of a lot that you can do to prevent that while still bringing rookies along, and this was my second ever mission in this campaign (on classic).

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Deuce posted:

Yes. I just took the most recent 100 posters in this thread and made a name list. Well, 99 actually. Johnnylump got a spot. (and is in my current game... in the hospital...)

You were a brave medic, the only member of a 6 man team who didn't panic because ONE SECTOID LOOKED AT US FUNNY. But you died a horrible, horrible death. By drones.

Do you happen to have a link to that file? I am looking to jazz up my roster and am lazy. :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Deuce posted:

Yes. I just took the most recent 100 posters in this thread and made a name list. Well, 99 actually. Johnnylump got a spot. (and is in my current game... in the hospital...)

You were a brave medic, the only member of a 6 man team who didn't panic because ONE SECTOID LOOKED AT US FUNNY. But you died a horrible, horrible death. By drones.

I hope I made it in :scotland:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Peter Van Doorn is now a unique unit you get from his mission. :allears:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

YOU DID THIS TO YOURSELF, JOHNNY

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

OxySnake posted:

Do you happen to have a link to that file? I am looking to jazz up my roster and am lazy. :v:

http://pastebin.com/eSf88qAT

tithin posted:

I hope I made it in :scotland:

You're a rocketeer!

edit: Beagle down, along with Johnnylump. Strangely fitting, as all the increases in difficulty in B14 are clearly the fault of these two. I went critical myself (ExaDeuce). Not a great start!

Deuce fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 21, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MrBims posted:

They got Gunslinger this patch, making their accuracy not completely terrible. You have to treat them more like vanilla Sectoids instead of roadbumps.

But my rookies are dying! How the gently caress am I supposed to play XCOM if my rookies are dying!!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Deuce posted:

You're a rocketeer!

:scotland:

I expect daily updates on how my plucky and lovable rocketeer is progressing.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Geisladisk posted:

Just bought Enemy Within and booted up a new campaign. Wow, the MECs are just overpowered as gently caress. I'm playing classic to ease me back into it, and I've got five MECs that pretty much just waltz across the map and murder everything without even a hint of resistance. I've got one normal guy to stun poo poo.

I don't really see the incentive to use anything but MECs, my deathsquad of biomechanical horrors hasn't even broken a sweat yet. Do they ever stop being completely broken?
MECs wreck almost everything in the early game, but psi-research levels things out later since MECs can't be psi-tested. Also as mentioned, Mimetic Skin can be a gamebreaking gene-mod, and you'll (probably) need support from generic soldiery skills like Disabling Shot to handle Sectopods reliably. Not to mention Rapid Fire assaults and Squadsight snipers are still top notch squad members. Lastly, MECs can't be sent as covert operatives against EXALT.

But yes MECs are a lot of fun early and will stay fun throughout the game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

legoman727 posted:

Wasn't this a thing already, since Beagle has had Doom Van Doorn in his stream? Regardless, YES.

Edit: Unfortunate I didn't make it to the list but I'll always have the first mission of GuavaMoment's LP.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 21, 2014

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013

tithin posted:

I have a feeling one of your rockets will accidentally blow my cover and leave me in front of an EXALT firing squad.

If I do not get shot by sectoids like everyone.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

MrBims posted:

Edit2: Oh god they gave the Officer discount of Asia to Europe. I do not want to crunch the numbers here.

Friendly PSA, if you started a new campaign and put your base in Europe you'll need to download the beta 14b hotfix in order to actually get the OTS discount. Now to figure out how to edit the save to get that money back (I didn't realize at the time it was more expensive than it should've been).

Also I really like this patch note

quote:

Fixed: Removed two XCOM spawn points from Grand Cemetery maps that required grapples/flight to extract, which was a little unfair even for us

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Antti posted:

Wasn't this a thing already, since Beagle has had Doom Van Doorn in his stream? Regardless, YES.

Edit: Unfortunate I didn't make it to the list but I'll always have the first mission of GuavaMoment's LP.

Nah, Van Doorn is just the only non-ShackTac entry in Beagle's custom name list.

...Which means he might forget to remove it next time he starts a new game, and end up with two Van Doorns. :circlefap:

e: Actually, does anyone know if he's done the Doorn mission yet in both the Twitch and Live and Impossible campaigns?

Telarra fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 21, 2014

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
gently caress, I'm dead already, at least I didn't go alone.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You get Van Doorn now? Does he keep his whiny-rear end voice?

e: Whichever poor rookie gently caress gets my handle as a name, I'm sorry.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I really liked this Twitter exchange with Jake Solomon and Ananda Gupta.
https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/524339518594641921

"I just played Newfoundland for 1st time. Who designed that, and what past injustice did they suffer which made them so hateful?"

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Why are my soldiers starting off with the dumb sleeveless look in Long War. They don't even have any gene mods. How do I get my sleeves back.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Why are my soldiers starting off with the dumb sleeveless look in Long War. They don't even have any gene mods. How do I get my sleeves back.
Read the readme. Alternatively, after the first mission, you can equip your soldiers with tactical armor instead of tac vests that give more armor, have less movement, and have the full look. Almost every armor tier in LW has two variants, a light and heavy. Generally, the light variant uses the sleeveless look. (Generally).

But you really should read the readme. It'll have more answers that you'll probably want to know.

A country is going to leave the Council within the first month. There's nothing you can do about it.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Oh boy oh boy! Keep us posted on your new recruits!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Ravenfood posted:

Read the readme. Alternatively, after the first mission, you can equip your soldiers with tactical armor instead of tac vests that give more armor, have less movement, and have the full look. Almost every armor tier in LW has two variants, a light and heavy. Generally, the light variant uses the sleeveless look. (Generally).

But you really should read the readme. It'll have more answers that you'll probably want to know.

A country is going to leave the Council within the first month. There's nothing you can do about it.

So I can just give everyone heavy armor and never have to look at that dumb vest again? That's great!

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

TastyLemonDrops posted:

So I can just give everyone heavy armor and never have to look at that dumb vest again? That's great!

If you can stomach the mobility loss. (I can't).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TastyLemonDrops posted:

You...can, but I think the light armors are usually better than the heavy. And then, later "light" armors use the heavy variants of early ones. Corsair armor, iirc, uses the skeleton armor appearance.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

legoman727 posted:

Peter "The General" Van Doorn.

Yeah, you're going right on the front line. You're my meld detector now, you piece of poo poo. Oh, did I just run you into a pack of floaters? Who's having all the fun now? WELCOME TO X-COM, GENERAL.

Oh god, he does still have the same voice as a trooper. This is the bestworst thing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The vests look dumb but early on the 1 hp is not really significant versus the mobility. You survive by not getting shot.

Also gently caress doing the Van Doorn map the opposite way. You're caught up on that ledge and advancing is basically suicide. You have to take your chances in a static potshot competition until you can risk yellow moving someone into the murder gully.

It's nice if you catch a pod in the gully though. +20 to aim? Yes I will!

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 21, 2014

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
It's crazy how different some of the maps feel when you go through them from a different direction. Even in the base game, it took me an embarassingly long time to realize that the "quisling politician" Council mission is on the same map as the one where you start outside the laundromat.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Just a heads up, B14b was released a bit ago and fixes a bunch more bugs; notably it fixes a complete lock-up with Portent that happens when the first mission comes up.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tendales posted:

Oh god, he does still have the same voice as a trooper. This is the bestworst thing.

They didn't have a full voice set for him, but they did manage to give him a few proper Van Doorn lines at appropriate moments.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014

AtillatheBum posted:

Just a heads up, B14b was released a bit ago and fixes a bunch more bugs; notably it fixes a complete lock-up with Portent that happens when the first mission comes up.

Does one just install it over beta 14?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dervyn posted:

Does one just install it over beta 14?

Yeah, it's been safe just to install over for quite a few updates now, and hotfixes are even less likely to cause trouble.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
So, going fast over the new skill trees:
Engineers: poo poo choices at sergeant, plus having to choose between BS and DS.
Scout: Resilience in(?) Good choices all around.
Medic: Better. New smoke god, plus nice enough OW. Aim still lagging behind? Wasn't the initial perk supposed to autoequip a medkit?
Sniper: gently caress, the ITZ build took a huge hit. VPT up against LnL. Snap shot vs disabling shot. Bleh choices at sergeant.

Not as familiar with the MEC trees. Was VPT up against LEU on the Shogun in b13?

Better changes than I though for a patch that supposedly was focused on bug fixing. Did they at least fix the shredder/RF bug?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Dove into LW last night, as I was waiting for b14 before doing so. And holy poo poo, it really does feel like a whole new game. Only playing on classic, butit seems just right. After the first mission it feels a little overwhelming with all the new items.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just finished the Temple Ship on Enemy Within and 20 Meld away from a MEC-3 suit. I punched an Elite Muton into a parked car, and I’d like to believe that’s why the car exploded.

My squad right now is this (all Plasma Weapons, save the MEC Railgun which should be upgraded in three days)

MEC
Assault
Assault
Heavy
Support
Sniper

Is that a good makeup? More MEC’s? Less Assault? And what about SHIV’s? Do they take up a squad spot?

Psychic Labs will be up in two days as well. Do Psy powers stack with Gene Mods?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

If you have the kit and research any squad comp is basically fine. You might need more experience for gimmick runs like all assaults, sure. Just do what sounds fun!

SHIVs take up a squad spot. They're not quite as good in vanilla/EW, especially late game. If you haven't made any investments into SHIVs you can skip them entirely. Unless they sound like fun.

A gene modded soldier can have the gift and vice versa.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
poo poo feels way more lethal against me now which is great and/or awful.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Okay did Flashbangs get bugged to buff enemy accuracy? I've just had three disoriented sectoids hit my guys in a row, and I'm not sure if it's :xcom: or there's something wrong.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

legoman727 posted:

Okay did Flashbangs get bugged to buff enemy accuracy? I've just had three disoriented sectoids hit my guys in a row, and I'm not sure if it's :xcom: or there's something wrong.

Play your campaign with Save Scum SW on and you should be able to reload to test accuracy. I haven't had any problems with Flashbangs in my B14 campaign so far but anything is possible.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

legoman727 posted:

:xcom:

I've yet to have an alien land a shot while flashbanged. (since B14)

Deuce fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

tithin posted:

SAXcom update
http://www.twitch.tv/exadeuce

I have good news and bad news.

P.S. Somebody make me a SAXCom logo involving a saxophone, possibly :sax:, an XCom logo, and maybe a bradford sweater.

edit:

Getting rear end kicked by floaters and sectoids. Back down to frigging normal difficulty and restarting. :saddowns:

Deuce fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 22, 2014

• Locked thread