Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Ok, I was really stunned by the demand, but I'm happy to help. Here's the changelog:

* Interceptor max repair time reduced by 33% rounded up
    * Soldier max hospital time reduced by 33% rounded up
    * Successful psi training if soldier will = target psi rank will increased from 50% to 70%
    * Training time for Psi reduced to 6 days from 8 days
    * Hours of fatigue per officer level reduced to 6 from 12
    * Will loss when soldier is critically wounded lowered to 2 from 15
    * Gauss weapon tech has 1.00 DP up from .33
    * Arc thrower chance has been increased by roughly 33%; Expect a ~70% chance to stun at 1 health, and 50-60% at 3 health
    * Interceptor re-arm time reduced to 5 days - for alien weapons only
    * Reduced terror mission panic per civilian killed by 50% - you will still eat a lot of panic if all the civilians are killed, and full panic if the mission fails, but this way saving 8 civilians actually makes a big dent in the amount of panic reduction you get - instead of trying your rear end off and playing risky only to get a big fat panic increase anyway. This one was done because terror missions right now are frankly just stupid and there is often very little you can do to save civilians without playing like an idiot
    * Reduced Officer rank training cost by 20%. This was done because officers are rather weak compared to the other enhancement options, which are mutually exclusive with those options.
    * Significantly reduced fatigue time added by gene mods by about 50%.
    * Significantly reduced meld cost for gene mods by roughly 20%. They are probably still too expensive in some cases given the meld shortages you'll run into, but it's better than vanilla LW
    * Reduced days in tank required for gene mods by about 20%
    * Reduced psi training duration by about 20%
    * Reduced rookie cost to 20 from 25

That's it. Some of those sound heavy handed, like the repair/heal time nerfs, but like I said - in October I had a guy out for 41 days from a critical wound. Interceptors can still be out for a very long time as well but you're a little less likely to end up with the extremely stupid 'whole fleet is out for a month because I got bad RNG on a scout'.

Most of the bullshit is still bullshit, but slightly less so. I didn't touch EXALT, and I was very tempted to reduce the flying cover bonus by 5 because -30 is really rough and part of what makes heavy floaters so dumb late game, but I didn't.

Also, it has some of my default settings for soldier colors, so feel free to tweak that to your own liking.

You can get it here

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Dope! Thank you

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

You are a saint.

How would I check what version of LW I have?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Just upgrade to the latest version or that ini will probably gently caress up your game since the arc thrower setting wasn't there before one of the recent beta 14 versions

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

Just one more reason to camp my steam wishlist for daily deals.

Thanks again... I mean really I've been wanting a balls out strategy game for a while and this mod... this mod man.

Be sure to join us every week at Thursday Night XCOM, hosted by forums poster Beagle. :toot:

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Waiting on that daily deal.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

Waiting on that daily deal.

While you're waiting can you detail your zipline-based zombie survival plan? I'm actually interested in this.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Segmentation Fault posted:

While you're waiting can you detail your zipline-based zombie survival plan? I'm actually interested in this.

I am also eagerly anticipating this cockamamie scheme.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Moddington posted:

Be sure to join us every week at Thursday Night XCOM, hosted by forums poster Beagle. :toot:

How did this week go anyway, has Beagle recovered from losing all his gear yet?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Scapegoat posted:

How did this week go anyway, has Beagle recovered from losing all his gear yet?

Surprisingly well. Lots of pip-pip-pip noises and dead floaters.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, he's pretty much completely rebounded at this point. Murdering hordes of sectopods, pulling off captures aplenty, and even managed to avoid losing Canada again despite yet another terror mission (in my hometown, too). :canada:

Goes to show that a single major loss doesn't necessarily spell the end in Long War, even on Impossible.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I got to watch TNX live for the first time and actually cheered when :canada: held strong against the alien menace. Life will go on, people will still go to Tim Hortons.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So is there a list of good builds for the different classes somewhere/in this forum?

I've got no idea what to go for, since this is like a completely different game with LW.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Koorisch posted:

So is there a list of good builds for the different classes somewhere/in this forum?

I've got no idea what to go for, since this is like a completely different game with LW.

Scapegoat posted:

Have a read of Beagles build strategy
http://pastebin.com/7kFhLTaR

I'm following this and it's working out great so far

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Does anyone know how to do .ini editing on the Mac App Store version of the game? Everything I find via Google is for Windows and for the Steam version.

I just want to do stuff like unlock all the Second Wave options and so on so I can crank up the difficulty a bit for a playthrough before I look at installing Long War.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

K, so.

Ive installed the most recent long war and ini mod, and its mostly working. Just completed Confounding Light for the first time, which was fun.

Now, I am experiencing some weirdness, and Im not sure if its cause Im using an updated save, or something else. Every now and then I get a new mission, and it doesn't show me my team - I have to click them manually. (That might be a feature not a bug). When I do click the team, most of the time it launches normally. About 1/3 of the time, it doesnt show one of my troopers (I can click their inventory but not see them), and when I launch, it does the flight sequence, but doesn't load the map. It's just a blue cursor on a field of black.

Any suggestions?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

LowellDND posted:

K, so.

Ive installed the most recent long war and ini mod, and its mostly working. Just completed Confounding Light for the first time, which was fun.

Now, I am experiencing some weirdness, and Im not sure if its cause Im using an updated save, or something else. Every now and then I get a new mission, and it doesn't show me my team - I have to click them manually. (That might be a feature not a bug). When I do click the team, most of the time it launches normally. About 1/3 of the time, it doesnt show one of my troopers (I can click their inventory but not see them), and when I launch, it does the flight sequence, but doesn't load the map. It's just a blue cursor on a field of black.

Any suggestions?

Having a clean slate when you start a mission is a long war feature.

As for the missing soldier and the hanging black screen, that sounds like a model failing to load. Did you save a backup of defaultgamecore.ini?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Segmentation Fault posted:

Having a clean slate when you start a mission is a long war feature.

As for the missing soldier and the hanging black screen, that sounds like a model failing to load. Did you save a backup of defaultgamecore.ini?

Yes, I did.

I just checked the recruit costs in game, and they are still 25, so I'm wondering if the ini mod didn't take.

edit: I put in the backup ini, same results.

Loel fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 20, 2014

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oswald, you are a saint.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LowellDND posted:

Yes, I did.

I just checked the recruit costs in game, and they are still 25, so I'm wondering if the ini mod didn't take.

edit: I put in the backup ini, same results.

did you edit the new ini's name?

You can't just copy and paste it. As it is named differently.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

CharlestheHammer posted:

did you edit the new ini's name?

You can't just copy and paste it. As it is named differently.

Yup. It did the 'move and replace' pop up and everything.

edit: Ive checked using both ini files, same results either way.

Loel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 20, 2014

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

LowellDND posted:

Yup. It did the 'move and replace' pop up and everything.

edit: Ive checked using both ini files, same results either way.

Did you use the correct folder?
X:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Config

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Dongattack posted:

Did you use the correct folder?
X:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Config

Aha. That fixed the 20 credit trainee issue, but the map is still not loading.

Didn't load under the back up ini either.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

LowellDND posted:

Aha. That fixed the 20 credit trainee issue, but the map is still not loading.

Didn't load under the back up ini either.

Whichever troop(s) aren't appearing in the skyranger, change their hair/helmet before launching.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Orgophlax posted:

Whichever troop(s) aren't appearing in the skyranger, change their hair/helmet before launching.

No go. In the squad line up, they dont have a picture at all. I went ahead and changed their numbers just in case, but the map still didnt load.

(checked using mod ini)

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

LowellDND posted:

No go. In the squad line up, they dont have a picture at all. I went ahead and changed their numbers just in case, but the map still didnt load.

(checked using mod ini)

Also installing the patch will overwrite your ini, so if you put the ini in and installed the patch that will cause a problem

I would try just doing a clean reinstall of everything though, I haven't encountered anything like you did, I don't think it's an ini issue.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Ive made similar changes to those changes listed in that custom .ini oswald ownenstein made as well as some weapon changes of my own.

All weapons: Same ammo counts as their ballistic counterparts. Shotguns base 6, snipers 4, heavy rifles 4, LMGs 10, SAWs 8.
Gauss get +1 ammo over base, Long Rifle is still a single shot weapon with 2 shots with ammo conservation.
SMG- base ammo to 3. It's in a bigger weapon slot than used by the machine pistol with similar capabilities.
Heavy Rifle- Accuracy Penalty to -10. So a scope can counter the penalty
Sawed Off shotgun- Range to 15 so its better than melee range. Ammo conservation allows 2 shots.
Marksman's Rifles/LMGs: Range increased from 36 to 40
MEC minigun- Base Ammo to 3

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Landed abductors, man. I just holed up in a little patch of woods and had my Goliath bait the aliens into that little bay with the ramp and the power source. Then drop rockets on them.

There was also a little corner that the rockets already destroyed where I had the MEC stand. With CCS she killed three mutons and a huge amount of drones and seekers on that spot. Just reload every turn.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 20, 2014

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I just had my first terror mission... it took place in an densely populated urban cemetery. Floaters just flew around the map murdering all of the civilians and I could only reach 2 before they were all dead.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Decrepus posted:

I just had my first terror mission... it took place in an densely populated urban cemetery. Floaters just flew around the map murdering all of the civilians and I could only reach 2 before they were all dead.

That's Long War.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
So, I just did an extraction with 2 shivs and 2 rookies on the forested road construction map. Everything went without a hitch except when I tried to extract it was saying one unit was outside the extraction zone. I tried reloading the save and redoing the turn a few times, but no matter what I did and where I stood one unit was always outside the extraction zone. Finally I said screw it and extracted to see what happened and one of my shivs that was clearly in the extraction zone was left behind. No idea what that was about.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

wolfman101 posted:

So, I just did an extraction with 2 shivs and 2 rookies on the forested road construction map. Everything went without a hitch except when I tried to extract it was saying one unit was outside the extraction zone. I tried reloading the save and redoing the turn a few times, but no matter what I did and where I stood one unit was always outside the extraction zone. Finally I said screw it and extracted to see what happened and one of my shivs that was clearly in the extraction zone was left behind. No idea what that was about.

That's happened to me before but with MECs. I solved the issue by moving the MEC(s) toward the center of the extraction zone and it seemed to work.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Disillusionist posted:

That's happened to me before but with MECs. I solved the issue by moving the MEC(s) toward the center of the extraction zone and it seemed to work.

Weird, maybe the next time I will figure out the magic square to put the shiv in.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

wolfman101 posted:

Weird, maybe the next time I will figure out the magic square to put the shiv in.

There's a thing with SHIVs and gold moves into the extraction zone. I think MECs have a similar issue if they fire in the extract? I could be misremembering or those could be older bugs.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

oswald ownenstein posted:

Also installing the patch will overwrite your ini, so if you put the ini in and installed the patch that will cause a problem

I would try just doing a clean reinstall of everything though, I haven't encountered anything like you did, I don't think it's an ini issue.

Well, that's disappointing. New install, same symptoms. I guess its the save.

New game it is.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

oswald ownenstein posted:

Ok, I was really stunned by the demand, but I'm happy to help. Here's the changelog:

*list*

That's it. Some of those sound heavy handed, like the repair/heal time nerfs, but like I said - in October I had a guy out for 41 days from a critical wound. Interceptors can still be out for a very long time as well but you're a little less likely to end up with the extremely stupid 'whole fleet is out for a month because I got bad RNG on a scout'.

You can get it here

Thanks for this, i don't use your ini, but you keyed me in on some variables i wasn't aware off.

Making Genemods cheap made the game a lot more fun, but also had the side-effect of making Meld more sparce earlier, which in turn butterfly-effects it's way to slower faility building since i can't go hogwild and sell Meld, i like it.

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013

Echophonic posted:

There's a thing with SHIVs and gold moves into the extraction zone. I think MECs have a similar issue if they fire in the extract? I could be misremembering or those could be older bugs.

I think any soldier/MEC/SHIV who fires on the last turn, even from the extraction zone, is left behind.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zokalwe posted:

I think any soldier/MEC/SHIV who fires on the last turn, even from the extraction zone, is left behind.

Nope, i often take potshots with my soldiers before i extract from 4 man Exalt missions, and nobody left behind so far at least. Unless it's a very inconsistent bug, i've done it around 10 times without any errors.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

So I grabbed the complete pack on steam since it was on sale. Is it just me or is classic alot easier now? I've on my 5th mission or so and still haven't lost a guy. There's typically only 4-5 aliens per map; I seem to remember the early game being way harder on the xbox. The sectiods are only coming in pairs of 2, I am pretty sure it used to be 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So Im really digging the new game. The last round let me do a lot of practice, so my early maps are taking no fatalities, and prolly 20% as many wounded. Im going for europe/labs/prisoner build, as opposed to fumbling around (as much), and Im not ignoring infantry and scouts like I did last time.

2 missions have stood out so far: the first started fine and ended up panicking terribly. I was squad rushing up the map as per normal (it was a harbor/storage units map) and a sniper critically injures one of my guys out of the fog as he moves between places. Okay says I, I advance into the fog and send a medic over. They critically injure my medic, and one sectoid holds off my entire advance for 4-5 rounds. 3 guys shooting at him, 40-50% chances every time, miss every time. Even worse, when I send my backup medic over, a 2nd sectoid flanks me. So its 3 guys fighting one sectoid and not hurting him, and 1 guy fighting another sectoid and not hurting him. I even got 3 tiles away from the first sectoid, behind him, it was unreal. Finally got him, but Ive never seen 2 sectoids hold off a squad like that.

Second mission was the V shaped highway one. New map to me, and I was unsure what was the 'real' direction. So I start left up the highway, make contact. Okay, I move troops over to extend the line, and make contact on the right. Suddenly I have four pods of sectoids hitting me from 2 flanks with no cover. I got obliterated. Reloading the map, I moved my guys 3 tiles into cover, all six of them in a row, and sent one up and back to pop pods. They next 30 rounds was them just advancing over open terrain and getting destroyed by my squad. I eventually ended up waiting 3 rounds of silence, then walked my guys up the hill to find one sectoid sitting terrified behind a car all by his lonesome. So of course we shot him in the face.

I'm pleased with how things are going so far. I'm hoping the early prisoner rush will let me catch up on the air game later.

• Locked thread