Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Have you tried ignoring the encoder and just setting up shop around the transmitter? That usually works when I tried those kinds of EXALT missions and was having trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I bumped the arc thrower up to just below vanilla percentages (72%), and yet I've still missed the first 3 I've tried... :xcom:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Unexpected posted:

Gentle Goons,

I would truly appreciate if you could kindly offer some advice on HOW TO DEAL WITH THIS PIECE-OF-poo poo F*** RETARDED EXALT MISSION!

I mean I know I'm slow but come on! There must be a better way than to save scum?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to punch something.

Edit: It's Long War, Classic difficulty.

Forget the first objective and set up a murderzone to defend the second:

Destroy walls and cover so any incoming exalt dudes won't have anything to hide behind when they pop in.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I'm partial to the Beagle method of stripping all the cover around the encoder and chaining relays and just turning the mission into a puzzle game of how to kill all the EXALT without letting them fire off a shot.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
^

That's one of the toughest maps for encoder defense, IMO.

That said, I usually do the following things:

-run up the left side, using transmitters liberally to make sure I kill almost everything before I start doing the usual firefight stuff
-don't bring rocketeers, they're too immobile to be any good
-bring extended mags on sniper/assault/scout/infantry .. running out of ammo is a serious problem on these zerg missions

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah you've got three whole turns of leeway on EXALT hacking the encoder.

What I do is move my guys up into position through the first part of the building, and then pop a relay as soon as I break into the garage. Then it's just a standard EXALT flank and spank murderfest.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Basically, before you move, see how you can chain the relays and set it up. Blue move the operative and make sure they are in range to nab it if needed. This is generally why you want an assault to do the job, so you can run and gun to activate it if needed in a pinch. Then start setting up your actual team. If you make contact, continue as usual, do your best to eliminate whoever's on hand. You can avoid having to step into cover if you have a hack on hand, but make sure not to bunch up, rockets and grenades are all still fair game.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
I just finally purchase Enemy Within and decided to break it in with my first Ironman and Classic runthrough. Low and behold I just failed Portent after the VIP got popped by a thin man. Anyways, will the council offer that mission again or is the new storyline dead to me?

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I'm playing Brutal in LW and just got to MEC tech, but I was surprised to see that it costs $30 and 20 meld to chop a soldier. Is this right? It seems like a big increase over the 10/10 cost on Classic.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Slywalker13 posted:

I just finally purchase Enemy Within and decided to break it in with my first Ironman and Classic runthrough. Low and behold I just failed Portent after the VIP got popped by a thin man. Anyways, will the council offer that mission again or is the new storyline dead to me?

Story line is dead.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.

Filthy Lucre posted:

Story line is dead.

Well that's unfortunate. Is there a quick save file line I can edit to fix that?

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Reload from an earlier save where you haven't failed the mission is the only fix I'm aware of.

Fardels Bear
Oct 27, 2006

Lookit me flash, boss.

Filthy Lucre posted:

Story line is dead.

What? This is not correct -- Portent starts the Exalt storyline and they keep coming even if you fail that council mission. I frequently skip it on Classic/Iron Man because those Thin Men make it a huge pain in the rear end and I lose good men to save that Exalt douche.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Portent is part of Operation Progeny. The guy is EXALT sure, but he has nothing to do with EXALT showing up in the later months. Portent is supposed to lead into the other two missions, Deluge and Furies.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fardels Bear posted:

What? This is not correct -- Portent starts the Exalt storyline and they keep coming even if you fail that council mission. I frequently skip it on Classic/Iron Man because those Thin Men make it a huge pain in the rear end and I lose good men to save that Exalt douche.
Portent is nowhere near as tied into the Exalt as it should be. Portent's story leads into the dam mission.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Ugh, I need to set up a device to punch me in the face any time I think it is a good idea to take an LMG to a mission that isn't a roadway. I just lost the first landed medium UFO on normal because I was dumb and thought 2 LMGs would be good because of the increased damage and ammo count. 2 packs activated at 90 degrees from each other and I got owned hard because I couldn't maneuver my LMGs.

superoxen
Feb 13, 2012
Put jetpacks on your LMG dudes and they will murder things on a much wider variety of maps. They still have serious limitations, and you still need to be careful about how you make contact so they can be useful, but flying armor is what made me love the LMG after not touching them for most of the game.

superoxen fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 24, 2014

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I'm a lot happier with LMGs now that I learned that the limited squadsight isn't so they can stay just out of range of aliens, its so after they set up shop, they have a higher likelihood of actually getting a shot after the aliens take their turn. Try placing them where you put your other mid-range soldiers, such as infantry.

Also, I get into trouble when I have too many soldiers that depend on the last turn's positioning in order to get full use out of them (infantry, LMG gunners, traditional snipers, rocketeers). I try to limit it to three of my soldiers at most, and two when I haven't unlocked squad size 1 or 2 - these guys tend to hog all the best cover positions. If you have an infantry, LMG, rocketeer, and sniper, you're really going to get into trouble, not everyone is going to get full cover, and you'll lack the flexibility given by a more well-rounded squad.

Also, I never thought I'd put a shotgun on an infantry, but I did for Site Recon, and I was really happy with the results (I brought three infantry - only one had the shotgun).

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Fardels Bear posted:

What? No. Portent is related to but completely independent of the overall Enemy Within storyline (cutscenes, Exalt missions, etc etc etc). Portent leads into Deluge, which leads into Furies, and you don't get the next one if you haven't successfully beaten the one before it.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's August, and the aliens have launched a terror attack on Darwin, Australia, which already reached full panic a few days earlier. The initial country that left the Council was China, and by now Russia has joined them. Japan is at 2/3d panic. I've basically let the aliens have Asia so I could focus on North America (starting in Europe). Should I even attempt the terror mission? I can maybe keep Japan from leaving as well, that's pretty much it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

John Dough posted:

It's August, and the aliens have launched a terror attack on Darwin, Australia, which already reached full panic a few days earlier. The initial country that left the Council was China, and by now Russia has joined them. Japan is at 2/3d panic. I've basically let the aliens have Asia so I could focus on North America (starting in Europe). Should I even attempt the terror mission? I can maybe keep Japan from leaving as well, that's pretty much it.

I think there's a grace period where even if a country is at full panic, they'll stay with you if you can bring it down quickly enough. Doing that terror mission can save Australia from leaving the council.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
Just started a new LW campaign, started in Germany and the first alien base is in the UK. Is this a good start since I get the continent bonus even with the base? Also has anyway ever rushed the alien base assault? Is it incredibly difficult if you do it as early as possible.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Theta Zero posted:

I think there's a grace period where even if a country is at full panic, they'll stay with you if you can bring it down quickly enough. Doing that terror mission can save Australia from leaving the council.

Terror missions never lower a countries' panic though, they only raise it. Well, maybe not when you rescue all civilians but how often is that even possible?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

John Dough posted:

Terror missions never lower a countries' panic though, they only raise it. Well, maybe not when you rescue all civilians but how often is that even possible?

I don't think that's right. Whenever I did Terror missions, they always at least decreased panic by 1 unless I saved like, one guy.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

John Dough posted:

Happened to me once. I swear, every single spawn was right next to the LZ, and it was one of those maps where you had to dash to low cover, and any high cover was a dash-and-a-half away. I had to use weird LOS things to keep guys from getting hurt (and they still had to tank some plasma to the face). I didn't just immediately leave for some reason - I must of had a panicked soldier - and before I knew it the mission was just over and no civilians died v:v:v

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Theta Zero posted:

I don't think that's right. Whenever I did Terror missions, they always at least decreased panic by 1 unless I saved like, one guy.

He is talking about Long War, where Terror missions are basically just you trying to keep the panic gain low.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is talking about Long War, where Terror missions are basically just you trying to keep the panic gain low.

Oh, sorry about that. I didn't know.

If that's the case then at the very least you can try and get some XP. If that isn't changed also.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Just got Enemy Within in the sale and having an absolute blast despite being nearly new to this kind of game. In the second month now and doing alright missions-wise but desperate to get a third satellite up, which is proving tough with all the other poo poo I'm dealing with, but that's part of the fun. I love the soldier management, every poor move matters if it can put your best heavy out of a potential important mission in a few days time.

I fully expect to get pumped sideways first time round so just enjoying the missions and seeing that does what and where I mess up. The FTL approach.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Walton Simons posted:

Just got Enemy Within in the sale and having an absolute blast despite being nearly new to this kind of game. In the second month now and doing alright missions-wise but desperate to get a third satellite up, which is proving tough with all the other poo poo I'm dealing with, but that's part of the fun. I love the soldier management, every poor move matters if it can put your best heavy out of a potential important mission in a few days time.

I fully expect to get pumped sideways first time round so just enjoying the missions and seeing that does what and where I mess up.

Happy you enjoy it. The game's not particularly difficult the first go if you're playing on normal, unless you've been brainwashed by games like Fire Emblem into thinking every character death is worth a reset.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Theta Zero posted:

Oh, sorry about that. I didn't know.

If that's the case then at the very least you can try and get some XP. If that isn't changed also.

I did mean Long War, but forgot to specify, sorry about that. XP is a consideration but all in all I don't think it's worth going.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Walton Simons posted:

I fully expect to get pumped sideways first time round so just enjoying the missions and seeing that does what and where I mess up. The FTL approach.

Just remember that easy/normal do some poo poo to manipulate things behind the scenes that can really skew how you approach the game and make Classic+ feel a lot more difficult if you play them after. Like if you shoot at an alien and miss your soldiers get a hidden and cumulative aim bonus until you make a shot. If an alien hits one of your dudes they get massive penalties to hit for the rest of the turn. If you activate more than five enemies at once the extras will retreat into the fog and not come back until you kill some. Enemy AI has a pretty decent chance to decide to do nothing at all and their willingness to use grenades/special moves is hugely reduced.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I read about that before I started but went with normal anyway given my inexperience. Once I beat Normal, I'll definitely move onto classic. Not as bad as the time I found out that on the normal difficulty in STALKER bullets that 'hit' you only deal damage about 30% of the time.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Does anyone know how to mod lw so that you select and equip eight sodiers for the base defense? I don't understand why the devs felt the need to make it so you have to select twelve guys and then the RNG gets to gently caress with you. The mission is hard enough as is withoul leaving getting someone with HEAT and a disabling sniper to chance.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

If you update to the latest version, 14i, it's already included.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I've got 14i, but I just had a base defense and had to equip 12 mooks.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

wolfman101 posted:

Ugh, I need to set up a device to punch me in the face any time I think it is a good idea to take an LMG to a mission that isn't a roadway. I just lost the first landed medium UFO on normal because I was dumb and thought 2 LMGs would be good because of the increased damage and ammo count. 2 packs activated at 90 degrees from each other and I got owned hard because I couldn't maneuver my LMGs.

LMGs are so situational. If you're not really good at knowing when to take them (roadway, UFO maps with forests) you'll get burned bad. "Not even once" was my motto.

I started taking them in very specific situations and even then they're really rough.

Also, I know it makes me a cheater, but my #1 most often 'kill program scum' situation is when I use a blue move to get a good shot and for some ridiculous reason the guy doesn't have LOS. Often that's a critical shot that needs to be made or suppression lest I eat a flanking crit to the face next turn.

No thanks, XCOM

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

superoxen posted:

Put jetpacks on your LMG dudes and they will murder things on a much wider variety of maps. They still have serious limitations, and you still need to be careful about how you make contact so they can be useful, but flying armor is what made me love the LMG after not touching them for most of the game.

Elevation also increases limited squad sight range beyond the 24 tiles it normally gets.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Here's the aftermath of an extremely successful and lucky terror mission - 9 civvies saved (all manually). Swarming mission, of course, so 2 pods of lids, + 3 other pods.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=361462299

As a result, while NA countries still panicked, and I'm still going to lose them, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. Mexico (recipient of 2x terror missions in a row with moderate success) is going to leave this month, but Canada is still barely hanging on.

-The mission felt worth doing, with the XP/loot
-Just skipping the mission because is an extremely poor option

Really liking that .ini change , until the LW devs do something fancy with terorr missions

edit: just learned the hard way what happens if things don't go perfectly on Newfoundland. It's all easy and fun until you commit to killing lids one turn and you can't kill all 9 of them due to poo poo rolls on damage. The zombies attacking the turn they get up really hurts - if anyone panics, they're hosed next turn.

oh well, campaign restart

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 24, 2014

Big Zero
Nov 18, 2006
Ok just hit the weirdest bug in LW 14i. Normal with some .ini edits to fatigue/interceptor time. Its mid-May - I had just successfully completed a mission in France which had satellite coverage and one green bar of panic. Shortly after starting to scan after the mission France up and leaves the council. It wasn't the automatic nation withdrawl either - the UK was out in the first month. I went back to an autosave to make sure I wasn't crazy and every time it will leave the council after the scan runs for a few hours.

It's not game-breaking since I started in Europe anyway, but has anyone else seen this happen?

If anyone wants to take a look at the save its here: http://www.filedropper.com/save6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

How much does panic increase across the whole continent if you ignore a terror mission in LW? Mexico just got hit with one, but it's already withdrawn, and I have only 5 leveled troops available; the rest rookies. Figured I'd just ignore it, and hope for the best.

• Locked thread