Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
Great new OP, answers to questions that people ask all the time.

Might be worth linking to or quoting the best post in the other thread, afaik this stuff is all still valid. The overwatch stuff in particular is something I think many people will not realise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

40 Proof Listerine posted:

the boost to Will more than makes up for the loss from being gravely wounded

Does the will boost last the entire mission? The text is kinda ambigious on this and the only time I used one I forgot to check.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Beaglerush posted:

Waiting for Firaxis to patch out the crazy amount of teleport-bugging the recent patch introduced, which they said will be soon. If they don't do it in the next couple days it might be time to revisit XCOM MULTIPLAYER while we wait.

Sooo yeah, might be a little while but probably the right call.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
I just level em the same way beagle does, either use the other dudes to soften em up, or if you want to guarantee the trainee gets that kill just get some other dude to set up with a grenade, and use the snipers grenade for the kill itself.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Normal unlocks some Second Wave stuff that'll make Classic interesting.

I reckon better to play pure vanilla on first playthrough per difficulty, those options seem more intended to extend the replayability.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

jvempire posted:

At this point I guess I could have tried to put up another satellite, does a 2nd satellite reduce panic?

You can't launch a second satellite unless the first gets shot down, one active per country only. Once I've gotten all applicable countries covered, I'll just keep one or two in reserve just in case of that.

Sounds like it worked out for you anyway, and made your end-game a lot more nail biting than it generally is. Good times!

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Spiffo posted:

Also if you go with Mind Control and the enemy you're controlling dies, everybody gets a Will penalty for seeing an ally die.

Although it happened to me in my first normal run through, recently when I finished my classic I noticed this wasn't happening. I didn't get the debuff symbol at least, I didn't take the time to compare before/after will numbers (plus was ironman so not so easy to do that anyway). Can anyone else confirm/debunk this? It's possible it was addressed in the last patch, as I never got the impression that was an intended effect.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

animatorZed posted:

He never reached the ground.

I imagine some of him did.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

I almost completely hosed up a downed UFO recently because I was trying to position my guys to go all SWAT on the bridge, and my dude decided the best way to the door opposite the room was dashing through the room.

Ahhh I remember when that first happened to me, good times. Lesson learned though, in similar situations I now remember to look at the movement preview lines real careful before clicking.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Well if you want the Continental Fellow achievement then you're gonna have to start with em all anyway. I already got Europe out the way on my first game playing on N/I because I didn't know any better and then my C/I game in Asia cos I did want to tech up ASAP.

I'll probably start another run on Classic once they've patched out the teleport malarky and use SA for that just to get it out the way, then I'll have USA and Africa for maybe another classic and then definitely an impossible run.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Andre Banzai posted:

You dedicated souls are the reason why Jake Solomon will probably have to dedicate a LOT of time making 800 maps for the expansion or, if he's smart, consider randomly generated maps like in the original.

That last wish was covered in one of the many very interesting interviews involving him. He really wanted randomly generated maps. Really REALLY wanted them, fought for them until blue in the face. But when confronted with the certainty that it just wasn't possible with the resources available, he had to compromise.

So yeah, if you're looking for the person who was most disappointed that the game didn't have random maps, you need look no further than ole Jakey himself. :xcom:

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Seems like just a quite heavy case of the teleport bug to me. It does seem very map dependent on how often and how severe it happens. Certainly on that map, it happened both times for me on my classic run and on a fairly large scale.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

hhhmmm posted:

2) By listening to the audio you know if they dashed or not last turn. If they dashed you know there is no overwatch.

Does the audio only transmit if they dash? Or does it sound different?

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

So I find Normal too easy but Classic too hard. Is there anything in the way of mods or tweaks to make Normal a bit harder? Specifically to use the full AI and not have the game stealth-cheat in your favour. Failing that how hard would it be to change that myself?

Honestly I wouldn't bother. Watch some Beaglerush, read the tips posted in this thread, take a few restarts on classic to get into the swing of it and then play the game the way it was meant to be played. You'll feel much better for it.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And I like the outbursts of emotion live play brings out.

Hell yes funny as gently caress. Hopefully ole jakey :xcom: watches these and grinned like a loon at beagles reactions. My favourite are when the unactivated sectoids on overwatch gank his guy on murder street and the panicked guy kills the thin man on the council mission. I think it's a game designer and film director dream to get those kind of impassioned reactions from people. Ok the fact that a bug caused that negative reaction sucks, but the fact that he is invested enough to react like that is important.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Just curious if not using the trick is an honor thing, or forgetting, or just not figuring it's worth the risk.

Yeah he considers the flanked overwatch thing a bug and refuses to use that. Can't remember where he said that but it's definitely the case.

edit: whoops there was another page so efb

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Sardonik posted:

I will be very impressed if they pull off making the game quality. It looked terrible at first, but now I'm kind of interested. Releasing Enemy Unknown first was a brilliant move on 2K's part.

More of a reactionary than a brilliant move, but at least they get it now. I for one am fine with it, if it's cool I'll buy, if not I won't. Nice n easy.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Fangz posted:

At the xcom command school, the teacher clears his throat. Addressing the class, he asks: "can you list the things this commander did wrong?"

Heh yeah, first thing I thought too. Easy to classic, a pretty punishing progression!

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes. The scientist lady pops in the first time you use explosives to kill an enemy, saying that doing so causes all the weapon fragments to be destroyed.

To which the appropriate response is of course "shut the gently caress up Vahlen" and carry on doing whatever needs to be done.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
I play Ironman, but I backup the saves folder before every mission to be restored in case of bug fuckery.

I'm sure there are those amongst you who might be wondering how that's any different to just not selecting Ironman and of course I have a complete and logical answer which is HOLY poo poo LOOK BEHIND YOU, A THREE HEADED MONKEY

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Slashrat posted:

IIRC the physical Limited Edition of the game came with a cloth patch of the XCOM emblem that you could then sew onto whatever piece of clothing you wanted.

I wanted that thing for my travel rucksack so bad, but the limited edition was way expensive

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just finished watching Live & Impossible 3. The part where the two guys get poisoned and then one of them miracle shots the Thin Man and Beagle loses his poo poo is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

Yeah that was a classic moment. It's like he flailed has hands to his head and knocked over all his poo poo and then had to get up and compose himself across the room.

"Holy poo poo, did you see that?"

I really hope Jake saw it.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Woop, picked up slingshot finally myself. No interest in the missions, but yes HATS. Though I haven't got anyone worth customising in my newest campaign, just lost my squadsight sniper and support to my own stupidity. Sigh.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Tae posted:

I never used Rift beyond the first demo test because I never see a situation where mind controlling a Muton isn't the better option. Getting a free massive hit on an enemy+Attracting all the aggro is too good.

Well there is one situation.

FoolyCharged posted:

It also works with heat ammo!

If I get the chance, I'll always make my volunteer a heavy.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

It's not just one check, it's checks for whether a patrolling unit's path is at any point visible by a player's units. Which still shouldn't be at all computationally intensive, but there has to be some reason why it hasn't been patched yet.

Exactly. They have acknowledged the bug, and they released a patch which made it even worse, then one that while not making it worse did little to fix it. What that tells us, is that although the logic is simple, the implementation is for some reason extremely complex. What that reason is I don't know, but if it was simple, it would be fixed already.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
My favourite sectopod moment was after a frenzied bunch of turns taking out chrysalids, my snipers were out of ammo, rockets had been fired, a dude on 1hp, and a sectopod steps into view. GREAT.

Then promptly teleports into a lamppost on the side of the bridge, explodes, mission complete. :xcom:

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Unsurprisingly it's ipad2 / iPhone 4s or higher. I only have a 4, so not gonna happen, welp.

Also I was disappointed to note that "The content of this videogame is fictional" and "the makers and publishers do not in any way endorse, condone or encourage engaging in any conduct depicted in this videogame". Well gently caress you guys, that's my weekend ruined. :colbert:

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

How's Frozen Synapse on tablet?

Works very well, even on my dinosaur first gen iPad. There's room for a few tweaks to smooth some controls out, but it's good to go and very polished right now. Handy, since xcom is not supported on first gen iPad.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Brainamp posted:

They also said that we could never take the fight back to the aliens, but we did it anyways!

The chances of anything coming from mars were a million to one, he said.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

revtoiletduck posted:

Hey does anyone have the bubonic achievement and want to lose to me? I don't care about multiplayer but those are the last achievements I need.

Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/revtoiletduck/

I don't think you need to win to get the achievement, just play against someone who has it. I prob won't be on tonight, but if you still need it by tomorrow I can hook you up.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Best way to think of it is that 61% to hit is actually a 39% chance to miss. Then you weigh up the consequences of that miss. Depending on how much of the thread you've been able to read, you might or might not be aware that on normal the game is stacking the odds in your favour and helping you out behind the scenes. Classic removes these crutches, and Impossible goes further by pretty much taking those crutches and giving them to the enemy (more health etc).

You have to play the way he plays on impossible. You can always be more screwed if you don't. :xcom:

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Beagle posted:

Thank you for this new addition to the deployment screen sequence.

As soon as I saw that gif, I hoped you'd seen it too.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Sweet, just bought this. I can play vanilla EW on the bus and maybe start a long war campaign on my computer. The port of the original was good enough that hopefully this should work out well.

Tirius posted:

Whoa, that came out of nowhere.

Yeah last I heard they said there was too much content with EW to fit in the 2gb app limit on iOS. Did seem a weak excuse, I guess it was more about the work needed to optimise so it would fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, I keep thinking about installing LW, and then I see bullshit like that 85 HP Mechtoid and I'm like "nope nope nope."

Yeah when it comes to LW I think it's best for those who have gotten everything they can out of vanilla. But it's good that vanilla was like it was, since not everyone wants to go into that level of complexity whereas now we have the choice to enjoy vanilla as is and only progress to LW if it feels necessary.

I will get to it soon I am sure, though I want to get the continental fellow achievement first cos I'm not bored of vanilla yet. Also the longer I leave it, the better the balance and featureset of LW will be when I get there.

• Locked thread