Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Does anyone know how quickly you have to respond to a terror mission, an abduction mission, or a downed UFO? If I shoot down a UFO, can I wait indefinitely to investigate the crash site, or will it disappear after a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

a shameful boehner posted:

I laughed and restarted the mission.:xcom:

I don't think you're using that smiley right.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

Well you know what? If the game's going to cheat, then so am I :colbert:

In retrospect my comment was more dickish than I intended. But yes the point was that reloading isn't in the spirit of XCOM or any ironman game. That being said, I admit I played "soft ironman" for a while, i.e. keeping multiple savefiles because I was worried about game-breaking bugs, but not actually save-scumming. I just think there's a very slippery slope when you have the power to reload.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

amanasleep posted:

There is nothing wrong with covering your advance with a squadsight sniper, particularly one with Opportunist, because Opportunist overwatch shots are generally superior to those taken at enemies in cover. It's just suboptimal when you are trying to capture the Outsider.

I don't like the sound of that tradeoff - parking a sniper in overwatch before everyone else has moved means you lose tons of tactical flexibility in exchange for a mild bonus to hit something before it scurries into cover. Never thought of trying it though.

vandalism posted:

I am a piece of poo poo and save scum constantly. I haven't lost a single dude yet. I use two snipers and they have killed pretty much everything. I felt pretty badass when I bagged my first sectopod earlier, did a 25 damage crit on him. That death beam is scary. In The Zone is the coolest thing ever for dealing with those bugmans and the floaty guys.

Imagine how much more badass you'd feel if there were actual consequences if you failed to kill the sectopod (don't savescum!)

I like In the Zone too. It's saved my rear end a few times when I've gotten sloppy. People say Double Tap is more generally useful, but I find In the Zone provides more of a safety net when things really go bad, and that's very important. And boy is it fun to take out 5 aliens with one sniper.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Klyith posted:

Double Tap is the better skill because Double Tap is always good. In The Zone is cooler because ITZ is occasionally spectacular.

Double Tap is always good, but I disagree that it's the better skill. ITZ can bail you out of desperate situations when you've hosed up and you need more than just one extra shot, you need a way to take out a shitload of enemies in a hurry. ITZ means not having to waste anyone's shots on drones. It gives you decent odds of taking out several chryssalids in a row which can be really useful when a terror mission starts to go south. It gives you a free way to take out wounded muton berserkers and wounded cyberdisks and still have an entire turn instead of just an extra shot. A lot depends on your style of play - Double Tap rewards more cautious play while ITZ can occasionally save your bacon if you take more risks.

Spartan421 posted:

Sounds like I just need to blow the hell out of cover with liberal use of rockets.

2 Heavies + ITZ sniper = great synergy.

• Locked thread