Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You should probably mention in the gameplay section that you can build more than one satellite at a time, since that seems to be a big stumbling block for new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd say it's not worth it on impossible, since you could just as well end up with the alien in overwatch too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TalonDemonKing posted:

How do you lower panic?

If I put a sattilite over every country, do I stop getting those people abductions that raise two continent's panic and only reduce one countries? Because those are killing me right now.

Satellites completely prevent abductions in the countries they're over. So putting up a satellite not only gives an instant reduction, but also prevents panic in that country from increasing (unless you fail a mission on that continent).

Execu-speak posted:

What do you guys like for squad composition?

I'm finding that a sniper, heavy, support and three assaults works pretty well.

One sniper, five SHIVs :getin:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Right, forgot about that. That's why it's imperative to fully cover a continent first, or at least the ones that you want bonuses from. I believe on classic you can make it without losing any countries, but on impossible you absolutely will.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chakan posted:

I went to test if Beagles second wave options make the game unwinnable even on Easy, but I found out that apparently I've never won on impossible. Is there a way to unlock all the options? I will assuredly report back with findings.

I think the big problem is that the marathon setting makes everything more expensive, so satellites come out slower, but panic still increases like a normal game. It could technically be possible on easy and normal, but you'd essentially be playing the macro game on impossible and you'd lose a few countries. Of course beagle doubly screwed himself by picking the one that makes satellites progressively more expensive on top of that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nastyman posted:

I need a name for my sniper, suggestions? :ghost:

Since she's a major, and Japanese, the only appropriate choice is Kusanagi.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dammit beagle, that's a backhoe not a bulldozer!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Waroduce posted:

I'm about 4 or 5 hours into my first classic play through. I lost Canada before the end of the first month after basing in Europe. Is that normal?

I'm not really having any difficulty managing squad tactics and actual execution of the missions yet, but I feel like I'm failing the macro game. Like I said I lost Canada 26 days in, there's so much to research I don't know what's worth it, I'm not sure how to effectively manage panic, or which resource I should care about early. Engineers, scientists or dollar bills ya'll?

Always pick engineers. Always. At least until you're confident in your satellite coverage.

The best way to work out your macromanagement is to figure out your end-of-month requirements and then work back from there. Ultimately, the one thing you want to have on the last day of the month is 3-4 satellites ready to launch. So that means you'll need to start work on them on the 10th or 11th of the month, since they take 20 days (remember that you can build multiple sats simultaneously). But satellites also need an uplink, which you'll need to build on the 16th or 17th. And each uplink requires more engineers, so you'll need to build a workshop on the 6th or 7th. You'll also need power, and you'll have to factor in time for excavating spaces for your buildings. If you know anything about project management you can easily apply the critical path method to it. But in any case, you need engineers from your first abduction mission in order to get that first workshop up ASAP, so you can get the sat uplink up ASAP, so you can launch your sats before the monthly report.

Also in regards to panic management: countries with sat coverage don't get abductions. On classic and impossible, the two abductions that you ignore give +1 panic on the entire continent on which they occur. So to effectively manage panic, it's important to fully cover continents. However, it's also important to launch sats over nations that are at +5 panic, especially ones that pay a lot of money or are on a continent with a good bonus. On classic you should be able to strike a balance, but on impossible it's very much a game of triage.

Finally: don't be afraid to sell corpses and UFO parts to fund satellites in the early game. UFO parts will keep coming, but losing a nation is a permanent penalty.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 30, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I thought thin men were implied to be snakemen in human-like bodies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jabor posted:

Hunker Down is OP, abuse Hunker Down.

Bullet Swarm and Squad Sight are the best abilities because they let you kill aliens while still being able to abuse Hunker Down on everyone who could get shot.

Use Hunker Down smartly - it won't do you any good if the enemy can easily move in to flank you.

Also hunkering behind full cover can sometimes not be enough, because the enemy's shot can sometimes destroy the wall you're hiding behind, and leave your soldier completely exposed.

Concealment is always better than cover, but unfortunately, concealment is not readily displayed by the UI. Generally, a position that has hard cover to the left and right is concealed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Does anyone else play with house rules, like no more than one officer on each mission, and colonels have to stay home or get retired? I do because it kind of feels silly to have six colonels running around on the ground. I guess I could use an editor to change the rank titles for ~*immersion*~, but this adds a little more challenge to it as well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

We're not outnumbered; we're simply in a target-rich envrionment.

e: so this was pretty much Murphy's Alien Encounter. My heavy's rocket went off course and only took out one floater, my squad sight sniper whiffed two 71% shots, and my assault panicked after getting poisoned and unloaded his shotgun in my support's face. I made it out with only one casualty, but if I was playing on impossible it would have been a wipe.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 23, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Meanwhile, there are 3 other squaddie snipers with 40 aim.

e: Does anyone else rename their soldiers a lot? I like for all of my soldiers to be some generic name like John/Jane Smith or John/Jane Doe in keeping with the secret military schtick.

I had a sniper named Goto, so I just had to rename him to Togo and give him the nickname "Duke" :golgo:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Backstory: A botched UFO recovery mission wiped out my A squad, and the council mission after it took out half my B squad. The only troops I had available to handle this terror mission were two heavies and two squaddie snipers (no squad sight!). It was 30 minutes of extreme rear end clenching horror, but at the end of the day:

:kamina:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

amanasleep posted:

It's so misleading that nobody realizes it's actually called Bullet Swarm.

Still, point taken. Maybe it should have been called "Shoot First, Ask Questions Later".

Actually you're both wrong, it's called Bullets Warm. The Heavy wraps all his bullets in cute little handknit cozies he got on etsy, so he knows they'll be ready to fire!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

We fixed the teleporting aliens bug! Now aliens will also teleport away from you in the middle of combat, as originally intended.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

I can KINDA see why you would Archangel a Heavy, but they'd just benefit so much more from Ghost, which comes at approximately the same time, that I would have a really hard time justifying the cost to issue it.

With snipers, though, you might as well redo the nickname to "Saint Michael" for men or "Saint Joan of Arc" for women because no alien will ever be safe again from your pinpoint artillery.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of low cover, I will fear no thin men: for Thou art my squad sight sniper; Thy rifle and Thy aim they comfort me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Andre Banzai posted:

Also, since you're now playing Classic, adopt the following mindset: "eliminate aliens with extreme prejudice".

This is the best advice for classic or impossible. Personally, I always tell myself "every alien that can see me is a potential dead agent." On higher difficulties, you learn very quickly that a lot of the stuff you could get away with in normal just won't fly anymore. Half cover is worthless, full cover is nearly worthless, and even hunkering down behind full cover is risky because walls can get destroyed very easily, leaving the agent totally exposed. The only guarantee that an agent won't get shot is concealment (generally, hard cover with hard cover on both sides), and even then you have to take precautions to keep the aliens from moving and flanking.

The other big thing you learn is to always have a backup plan. Beaglerush talks about this a lot in his videos: you always want to have a guaranteed way to eliminate the aliens before the end of your turn, or at the very least minimize the damage they can cause, because like I said, each alien up has the potential to kill your men. If a shot misses or doesn't do enough damage, you'll have an agent who can't hunker down that turn, which might as well spell death. Being able to account for the worst-case scenario, and being able to weigh the potential cost of your actions is crucial to survival on higher difficulties.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One thing I'd like to see as a quality of life improvement in future patches or whatever is more control over the passage of time when you're scanning the geoscape. On classic and impossible, you're on a very tight schedule if you want to get as many satellites out as possible, with very little margin for error, and sometimes you end up blowing past a deadline date. It's especially frustrating since excavations don't pause the game when they finish, and over a few months the hours you delay start to add up, making it sometimes impossible to build an uplink in time. A way to either control the speed, or have it pause on a specific date would be nice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Splicer posted:

The big problem I ran into in my test game was the jacked-up prices for satellite relays was killing me in the terror department.

That seems to be the big problem with marathon - satellite costs are scaled up, but mounting panic from abductions stays the same.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

They ran out of batteries, and weren't able to reverse engineer different batteries. That was pretty much the explanation why you couldn't have plasma or even loving lasers in TFTD. (That makes no sense! Lasers didn't even need elerium. :rant:)

I thought they did need some elerium, just a tiny bit, not enough to be a requirement for manufacturing. Something like having a stable isotope of E-115 allows them to miniaturize lasers enough to be a handheld weapon, in the far off future of 1999.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

theshim posted:

Just started this game a couple days ago and what the hell is going on :ohdear:

Chryssalids just started showing up for me. I'm tackling the assault the alien base mission (around two and a half months in, I think), and everything on that one goes fine until I spawn those asshats because the moment they spawn they move within three squares of my dudes and at least one person always misses that turn (and that's if I was paying attention and spawned them with my first move and not my fifth) and then they eat someone.

Seriously those things are stupid. :argh:

Currently have a decent squad, though I really wish it would stop rolling Sniper every time I level up a rookie. My top dogs are a Heavy Captain (the same guy who survived the first tutorial battle :buddy:) and an Assault Captain, with a couple Lieutenants behind them (a Sniper and a Support, helpfully) and a few dudes behind those. I'm sure I'm doing everything hilariously wrong on a blind run, but other than a couple Chryssalid resets and one time when multiple >80% shots missed (:xcom:) it's pretty interesting! My Assaults tend to be doing most of the heavy lifting, though Snipers with Squadsight are pretty sweet too.

One of the most useful things to learn early on is how to avoid popping alien packs before you're ready. You'll want to advance slowly and cautiously, with one guy taking point and everyone else following his exact footsteps. This way, the first guy reveals all the hidden terrain, but nobody else does. You want to make it so that if you do make contact, you have as many moves available to prepare for taking them out ASAP. Never dash into unrevealed terrain, because then that guy will be flapping in the breeze when you make contact. As long as you haven't made contact, you don't even have to worry about being in cover, because when you pop a pack, their free move is only a move - they can't shoot at you.

Watch beaglerush's videos, it will give you a really good idea of what you should be doing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

theshim posted:

Well, through an agonizingly slow crawl I was able to finish off the alien base mission without losing anyone. I kit my guys out with a few new weapons and armor in celebration, and then an abduction mission pops up.

Something like six Thin Men and four Floaters spawn on top of each other over two turns and instagib one of my guys. :argh:

Yeah, I forgot to mention the one caveat to the advice I gave you. Sometimes the game will just gently caress up and "forget" to use lube.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Enemy Within has you take on the role of the X-COM Quartermaster as you fight against the bureaucratic attempts to cut back on the food budget, and ensure that all the troops have adequate, healthy meals.

Gameplay inspired by Burger Time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

theshim posted:

You reveal a group of three Chryssalids at the end of the hallway.

They freemove to three spaces away from your dudes. Have fun!

Chryssalids only have 8 HP even on Impossible. That's a rocket and a grenade if you get fantastically unlucky with your shots. They also have a dumb AI that doesn't consider the fact that they have to be in melee range to attack.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

scamtank posted:

Firsty-first mission on Classic in the graveyard. Two people miss 75% flanking shots on a sectoid. During the enemy turn, he shoots at the other flanker, wounding him for 3 damage, destroying his light cover. 3/4 soldiers panic. :suicide:

That's why you always have a backup plan. Assume that every living alien that can see you means a dead soldier, or at least ruining your day through panic spirals. Even 99% shots can miss, and 100% shots might not even kill. Grenades are your best backup plan, since on classic they'll still kill a sectoid in one shot (this is one reason why impossible is so hard, sectoids have 4 HP). If you can take out all the aliens that can see you with grenades before the end of the turn, then you have control of the situation and can afford to take risky shots with your other soldiers before you use the grenades. Otherwise, it's generally best to hunker or conceal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Always remember that in order to start researching Weapon Fragments or Alien Materials, you need at least 5 fragments, so you have to kill at least three sectoids on the first mission without explosives. Killing a mind-melder with a grenade will cause the sectoid he's melding with to die normally so you can recover its fragments, so that makes it a little easier.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite bug is when I spot a pack of aliens, they activate and THEN teleport to the other side of the map. What fun!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Those sure are some guns with hair on them.

Yep and also a snout?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A lot of that was because the aliens' tech levels was tied to your score. I remember this was especially exploitable in Apocalypse, because you could go raid the Cult to inflate your score, and you could have devastator cannons right off the bat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

UberJumper posted:

I absolutely hate how Chryssalid's will move into my field of vision and get spotted then get another free turn to charge at me. It becomes difficult as hell when there are 3 or more rushing at you in a single turn.

That's a pessimistic view. They get a free turn to charge straight into your murder zone.

Seriously, chryssalids are not that tough. They only have 8 HP regardless of difficulty, and they're only dangerous if they're within 20 tiles away from you when you end your turn. I'd take a swarm of chryssalids over grenade-flinging mutons any day.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess Chryssalids can be pretty terrifying if you've cocked up your research and are still using ballistics by the time the first terror mission rolls around.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's also one particular map, the flooded street, in which several packs start out already activated but hidden. So you can be cautiously advancing your dudes forward and suddenly get a face full of reaction plasma.

The teleport bug isn't so bad when a pack teleports TO you. It's much much worse when you activate a pack on the aliens' turn and then it teleports AWAY from you, but remains activated.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

You can't use psychic attacks on mindless/mechanical units, so I guess the answer is no?

You can definitely use Rift on anything, and it definitely does benefit from the HEAT Ammo perk.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know, it's almost been a year, and it still amazes me that someone actually managed to make a fun, critically acclaimed X-COM remake. That's like the Holy Grail of video games.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

I get a lot of mileage out of Flush on UFO and Abduction maps. If I've only got one more alien in view but no good way to confirm a kill, I'll Flush him into the fog as a way to set up a cheap overwatch trap. It's definitely a methodical pace skill though, which isn't appropriate in a lot of missions.

The problem with Flush is that it's not BAD per se, but like Snap Shot vs. Squad Sight, it's completely overshadowed by its alternative.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

Interesting, it appears that something called Xcom: Enemy Within was sighted in the registry of Steam. I hope that this little bit of info is true since that would mean some eventual expansion goodness is on it's way once The Bureau is released.

It's about the X-COM Head Chef using low-quality ingredients. The reason your rookies' aim is so bad is they have to deal with an upset stomach on missions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

1stGear posted:

I love/hate it when this happens. "Oh, its just a small UFO this should be a probOH GOD NO WHY ARE YOU MISSING YOUR SHOTS NO NO NO DON'T LET THE SECTOID FLANK YOU WHO TRIGGERED THE OUTSIDER OH NOOOOOOOOOO"

X-COM actually has a built-in mind-reader that knows whenever you think to yourself this will be easy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just picked up EW last night and played a bit. The different languages are nice, but I'm sad that it's only a few European languages, and all the anglophones have American accents. Have the devs mentioned anything about putting out more voice packs in the future?

Also I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the new toys I have to play with. Can anyone point me towards any good guides for incorporating them all into a decent strategy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thanks for the tips. One thing I learned on my own is to never make Germans into MECs. Their voices are the stuff of nightmares.

• Locked thread