Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there any way to handle supply barges that doesn't suck? It's one big open area. I inch forward, and trigger 3 heavy mutons, cyberdiscs, and drones at the same time, moving one tile. I have 6% chance to hit anything. They one shot my sniper. This was my one shot at getting more alloys in two loving months so I can maybe, possibly, build a firestorm or anything that is better than carapace armor and lasers because God knows my ravens aren't doing poo poo against the apparent fleet of battleships that flew down at the same time I saw the overseer. I'm swimming in cash, but alloys are nowhere, and I can't shoot anything down because its nothing but battleships or the rare barge which beats my rear end down. Looks like I'm finding out what aborting does!

e: Oh, good, I need to be at the skyranger. Sorry Vampire, turns out my support doesn't have revive any more for some reason!

e: Thank God a small scout.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You should probably mention in the gameplay section that you can build more than one satellite at a time, since that seems to be a big stumbling block for new players.

It would be worth mentioning too that you can build multiple at once, but it's worth it to, instead of having one order of three satellites, have three orders of one satellite. This allows you to cancel individual ones to get cash back if you need it. It's good to have several in reserve in case one gets shot down and well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

D'oh! In that case never mind. Also, great OP! I learned why I don't see abductions any more; I have full sat coverage of all remaining member nations! This wasn't necessarily good, though, due to my resource shortages.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've heard that it can on Normal, but are Ravens able to shoot down the Overseer on Classic or Impossible, or is it completely mandatory to build the Firestorms? I can't tell if it's just bad luck or what, since I ran out of track/aim/dodge buffs trying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ChronoReverse posted:

Depends on your guns I'd say. With "just" Plasma they certainly can't.

Yeah, plasma's best I've got. What gives EMP Research again?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Coolguye posted:

Amusingly, researching firestorms. Also, this question prompted me to add a link to the tech tree in the second post.

:negative:

quote:

Was that take 1 step in the deployment area and spawn all that crap, or take 1 step into the ship? Because if it was the former, that sounds like the teleport / spawn bug, there shouldn't be spawns triggerable from the starting zone like that. File it under reasons-not-to-play-ironman.txt

If the latter, the backside of the ship is nasty. There are likely to be multiple groups in there. On the maps that set you down in the rear, you can try to flank around to either the side doors or the "head" of the ship.

Yeah, that one. It's also the one where the front of the ship has one log for cover, and that's about it besides the sides of the craft. I thought I was being clever by going around back and grappling to the roof after poking my head in once to take out a cyberdisc. My poor sniper. He had 130 aim by the end with a scope, and was the sole survivor of a previous clusterfuck. On the plus side, I learned that aborting a mission means it won't raise panic.

quote:

I discourage this sort of savescumming for a few reasons though:

I savescum out of habit, and it really is a lot more fun to roll with the punches, even if it means certain death at times. I don't regret doing normal and reloading on occasion, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

3Romeo posted:

I am not good at this game, but when I pull off something awesome I feel like a goddamned tactical genius.

Panic question: I started in Africa and I'm almost finished locking down the eastern hemisphere with satellites. The West is bright red and two countries have already left X-Com. I haven't even started researching the Containment Facility yet, but I'm rolling with laser weapons and carapace armor. I feel like I'm in a good spot (this is by far my most successful attempt at the game), but every time I feel that way I get :xcom:'ed. How hosed or not hosed am I?

edit: This is on Classic.

On Classic, I've also started in Africa, locked down all nations, but four left. Cash and panic-wise, I'm golden. All nations are at 1 panic and I have several thousand XCOM funbucks. Once the rest are locked down, you only do UFO missions, so you're fine. It took me forever to get containment as well. Just be prepared for resource shortages; there's a lot less to do with zero abductions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My new sniper to replace the one who died in the supply barge has hit exactly once and has never, even flanking with height bonus, gotten about 50% to hit, ever. My alloy plasma SHIV, however, has missed never. It hits most targets with a aim status of 100. Sorry Mary, you're obsolete. :psylon:

I now have 2 alloy shivs and 2 hover shivs. As long as my psychic heavy doesn't die, I don't give a poo poo about the others any more. They are superior in every way except I can't trick them out like my soldiers. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 20, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I have never deployed a SHIV, so I think I may have to go Robot Commander for my next play through.

I'm considering doing the temple ship assault with nothing but SHIVs and the Volunteer. They basically never miss, they do loads more damage than my humans, at all times, they have resistant to critical hits, they can one-shot chryssalids and similar at any time, they can fly (if you build hovers), have 18 health, more than most my troops right now (they're still in Skeleton/Carapace, I've spent what little I have on SHIV reinforcements and the firestorm since my crew's been dying off), and further, I have no sniper, my support can't revive anyway, and the volunteer is a heavy. The only downside is they can't take cover, but they have a defense of 30 to account for it. I love my little robot buddies.

My only concern is if I gently caress up charging the final ethereal or the sectopods and get all my SHIVs killed at once because I'm on Ironman, but I think a SHIV army would have a better shot at this point. I have 5 colonels, psi heavy, normal heavy, both in carapace with lasers, two assault, one with a plasma rifle, one with a scatter laser, both skeleton, and a support, in skeleton, with a plasma rifle. They really just don't compare. Taking 4 SHIVs and two heavies might be worth it for the six rockets between them, though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 20, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

SHIVs get rockets?!

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant four SHIVs and two heavies, for two shredders and four rockets (rocketeer is great).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Holy poo poo you can use SHIVs as cover?!

e: There goes a SHIV and a Heavy. gently caress muton elites and the inability to get over 63% to hit (or for anyone that isn't a support, 6%, apparently).

e: The hyperwave relay lies to you about the number of enemies? gently caress me.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 20, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shalinor posted:

Definitely don't neglect your humans, or you will regret it. Every kill a SHIV makes is XP that didn't go toward your unstoppable squad of elites. I never run more than two SHIVs for that reason... except on early terror missions. Feeding SHIVs to those is kind of funny :v:

The problem is that they've killed off half my pros, and the rookies. Well, the rookies have hit a total of one thing. Ever. It was a thin man. It took five shots. So they're not leveling up. This leaves my potential volunteer, in Titan armor with heavy plasma, two assaults, and a support, because none of my rookies will level up, and I really, really don't want them freaking out against the muton elites, ethereal, and chryssalids I now get to deal with because now I'm out of elerium. I'm pretty much on the brink of ruin at the last second here.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 20, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BurningStone posted:

The Assault's first four upgrades really do fit together wonderfully, don't they? It seems each class has a level where they get a key upgrade: Squad Sight completely changes a Sniper, I love the three use medkits on the Support. I guess a Heavy doesn't have that one defining ability early on.

Shredders and bulletswarm have saved my soldiers' lives more times than I can count.

Welp there goes my volunteer because of a continuous stream of teleporting loving aliens. At least I've stabilized him. Really though, they're doign well for fighting off fourteen, holy poo poo, fourteen aliens turn after turn. Three teleport in.One's a muton so he runs immediately, despite having every advantage. This pulls every single other alien left that isn't the ethereal. They form a semi-circle.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 20, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My hover SHIV landed inside the spaceship and is now stuck there forever. :saddowns:

Well, I've got Psi armor, titan armor, one ghost armor, all plasma weapons, four humans remaining, one I'm training in a council mission since it's nothing but thin men, two hover shivs, and one alloy shiv. Guess there's not much else I can do but wait for the Gollop chamber. What happens if the Volunteer dies in the temple ship?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 20, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Klyith posted:

Scope is good, grenades are good, extra HP is good. Combat stims are pretty loving great once you get them. Stims + will to survive + LMG = the full John Rambo effect.

What do combat stims actually do? I've never bought any.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Klyith posted:

Yes, 3 spaces. They do take a turn to activate, which isn't that big a deal in SP -- I have tons of spare turns where I'm reloading or moving slowly that you can use stuff like that. And they have infinite uses in SP, contrary to the description.

Jesus Christ I've been using items all wrong. :stare:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SgtRaught posted:

I wish it was just the once also, but its been 3/10 games now. I've given up for a while.

This has happened virtually every single mission on my Classic/Ironman run, and despite heavy losses I've pushed through to the temple ship. Final loadout is two hover shivs, psychic heavy, two assaults, and a support. All colonels in titan and one ghost armor. All plasma weapons. I hope they don't suck and die, my only other psychic is a rookie. :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just beat Classic/Ironman! The temple ship came together perfectly, one drone got a shot off and did two damage. A Heavy Volunteer makes the sectopods trivial, and using the same heavy's rockets and two hover SHIVs (or a sniper, really) can kill the ethereal before he gets a chance to move. Though, if my SHIVs had missed either shot, I would have been hosed; I didn't know Classic got ethereal reinforcements. Now on to Impossible!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gave multiplayer a shot in a custom game for the first time, it seems barely functional. Overwatch doesn't seem to work (based on my chryssalid surviving walking into an overwatch trap with no one shooting), flying is hosed, I had no control over my drone, and my floaters would get stuck in the level, and it would move units to places I didn't tell them to go, or stop acknowledging my input. I won both games I tried with 2 chryssalids, 2 thin men, a drone, and 2 chryssalids and 3 floaters, but is it always this problematic?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Edgecase posted:

Flying is definitely messed up with the keyboard and mouse interface, plus on one map in particular (Grand Cemetery), the 2nd floor walls of the middle building only pseudo-exist. Overwatch, however, should work normally. Are you sure the other player actually set up Overwatch and wasn't :downsgun: ?

He pressed 'Y', mistaking it for the talk button, so yeah. I was also able to see him in fog of war at one point, for a second.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blast Fantasto posted:

What things are crucial to get with the foundry?

I found SHIVs extremely useful on classic ironman inbetween missions where half my team was dead or in sickbay, especially Alloy and Hover SHIVs, and once they get suppression. By the end of the game two of them replaced my human soldiers. Improved medkits and arc thrower are useful too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well I thought I could wait until a sale to buy Enemy Within, but it turns out I can't.

quote:

One of the articles says they've said they aren't the same group.

I just read the wikipedia article for the game's plot, it doesn't really seem like it can tie in to Enemy Unknown all that well except as a nod and a wink here and there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HaitianDivorce posted:

But I really like the covert ops system. That's gonna generate some fun stories--"I sent my star sniper away then got smacked with a terror mission," "When the assault pair I'd been training up since the second mission re-united in the middle of that data recovery mission I like to think they took the time for a bro-fist between showing all those office workers how to use a gun," "You'd think the EXALT guys would have gotten a little suspicious of the dude with glowing eyes who can rip open holes in space and time with a thought and reflexively camouflages themselves if they sit still for too long," etc.

X-COM is attacked in the middle of an operation. All available soldiers are away or dead. As EXALT draws closer to the killing blow, something in the rubble stirs. As Big Sky returns with the alpha squad, and they storm towards the operations center, they find a lone SHIV surrounded by dead EXALT agents.

e: I really hope we can customize SHIVs in Enemy Within. They are the best.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 9, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I cannot wait to reward my first Heavy-turned-MEC trooper the Adam Jenson I Didn't Ask For This medal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait, what's Progeny? Was there another story dlc besides Slingshot?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fennesz posted:

The thing that gets me is teleporting packs of aliens. It's the best when you're in the middle of a wide open area, go behind cover, pop back out and there are two new packs of enemies where you were literally second ago.

I hope to God this will be fixed in EW but I know in my heart it won't be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With Enemy Within they said that EXALT won't show up until after the alien base or so, right? Does that mean that early satellite rushing will still work without much issue?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darkrenown posted:

Don't think they've said that at all, as far as I know they turn up in month 2.

Oh, may have confused it with that then. Still enough time to do it though!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WYA posted:

Everyone here doing Classic Ironman?

Probably Classic Second Wave, but without iron man. Don't want to restart a billion times this time around and I'm not really going to try for an early satellite rush any more than just "build some stats, an uplink, get engineers, see what happens".

I wonder if I should do my first runthrough of Enemy Within with randomized skills or not. :getin:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 12, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So do shivs have customization and new upgrade options yet or will I be stomping around with mecs now?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mokinokaro posted:

Shivs only get a few smaller upgrades through the foundry that overlap with MECs. The big advantages shiva have over mechs is the mind control immunity.

Can I rename them or give them funny hats or something now? This is important.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crimson Harvest posted:

Let me tell you about Enemy Within.

I made a mec.
Then I punched a sectoid,
then I punched a sectoid,
then I punched a snakeman and was not poisoned,
then I punched a sectoid,
then I punched a chrysalid,
then I punched a snakeman and was not poisoned,
then I punched a chrysalid,
then I punched a muton,
then I punched an outsider,
then I punched a big pile of humans, every human got punched.
Then I went on punching and punching until I had punched a mechtoid,
and a cyberdisk,
and about thirty more chrysalids,
and now I will go in the alien base and punch until there's no punching left to do.

How much effort would it take to make an entire squad of mec troopers? Can they be psychic too? If not I'm imagining taking on the Uber Ethereal with the volunteer as a quarterback surrounded by linebackers. It'll be like my last playthrough except giant robot super soldiers instead of floating robot tanks.

e: I think I'm going to give them the Adam Jenson "I actually did ask for this" medal.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 12, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just had Enemy Within's first fatality! I had a rookie blow up the Outsider's cover with a frag grenade, hoping to flush him out, so my sniper could take it down. Instead it held still and just fired through the hole I made, one-shotting my assault, current squad leader and first in line to become a Robocop. RIP Chun. You didn't ask for it and now you won't get it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

First council mission I have is a bomb disposal against thin men on a bridge. The bridge has no full cover on my half of the map. All nodes are only in sprinting distance. The first thin men has one shot my rookie that was hunkered down, leaving me two heavies and a sniper who has, somehow, never once been in range of anything. Go get 'em XCOM!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just as a headsup I hit a bug where right clicking to deselect will occasionally actually make the XCOM soldier move to where the mouse is. Good thing I wasn't doing ironman.

Also I did some reloading to see what's happening with my sniper and she appears to have a field of vision of like two feet ahead of her. Bring on squadsight I guess.

e: Will a heavy with deep pockets get one more missile to fire? The alternative is drat Good Ground.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 13, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Meld seems really, really easy to get so far on Classic. I'm a mission or two after the alien ufo and the first council mission and I've gotten every one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alkydere posted:

Meld's not that hard to get, but remember, later you'll be charging into the unknown where stuff like Sectopods and Cyberdisks lurk. Also, later Meld stuff starts to get expensive.

I haven't even built anything yet, game's just thrown a lot of poo poo at me. I'm only two weeks in, still working on getting early sats online. Then I'll get a engineering bay, then I'll make my mechwarriors. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

It can be or it can screw over a good character. It also makes it harder to plan in advance because you don't know what you're getting.

I'm never ever turning it off.

I have a heavy with deep pockets. I'm going to give her shredder rockets and all the grenades in the base. :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot that Europe is a lovely starting place compared to other locations. Still, I'm half way through month 1, have done a bunch of missions (they really shotgun them at you now, there's no time ot rest), I'm on my way to getting three more sats up, building my engineering bay to get Mecs, and I'm researching Xeno-biology which I'm switching to lasers because if what I've heard about it is true I am hosed. Or can I sneak by with just a mec, some gene augs, and ballistics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What are the requirements for all the medal, by the way? I got the Defender one but don't know if that's just for beating a council mission or something else.

• Locked thread