Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Is the Slingshot DLC included within Enemy Within or do I have to buy that seperately?

hhhmmm posted:

You probably don't want to buy it if you have to pay extra

So, is that a yes?

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It is NOT included in Enemy Within.

Oh bummer, I love me some helmets.

I wish there were more than 5 medals too, I wanna see some chests absolutely smeared with those things by the end of the game.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 14, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Oooh berets, so I'll have to buy slingshot on top of Enemy Within if I want maximum hatness?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Gato posted:

I know lots of people have been asking but there didn't seem to be a consensus: can you delay Portent and Friends in Low Places, or are they gone for good if you ignore them the first time round?

I gotta ask real quick, are these two included in Enemy Within or is it like the Slingshot stuff that I have to buy on top of that?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I make everyone dark, military green and give them the normal soldier looking helmet, the one before the baseball caps and such. When people hit captain they get to have a colour and whatever cool helmet they like. Colonels are the only people who ever have no helmet.

I can't wait to finish the normal playthrough I'm doing as a refresher, I beat EU on classic ages ago, but it's been such a long time since I've played I wanted to ease back into it. I'm looking forward to playing with all this new stuff and new adversaries on Classic, for sure.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Dinictus posted:

So dumb question time.

I've been leery of modding my game, but learned of at least one utility pack adding the option of having alien corpses be persistent. I wholeheartedly approve of a visual and visceral reminder if my units' paths of destruction.

Is there any kind of .ini-editing I can do to achieve the same effect? Or should I just man up and use mods? I fear not maintaining self-control with regards to using mods :ohdear:

Ooh, could I get a link to this mod? Having the alien corpses be persistent sounds pretty awesome. That tanker mission!

Also is there any hidden downside to using EXALT weaponry on my dudes if I don't have stuff manufactured right at that moment? And honestly, I think their standard laser rifle looks a lot cooler than ours.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I think if someone messed around with EXALT's AI to make them less bone-headed and more aggressive towards your troops instead of rushing the encoder, they could be a lot more fun and a lot more threatening.

I really hope someone's able to mod that final EXALT mission too, maybe make the map bigger with more enemies and some elite-elite troops? At the very least, there's gotta be a way to give them plasma.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Welp, as a final gently caress you bug from Enemy Within to me, the game will not let half of my squad into the final fight. Only the ones with mimetic skin and augments, for some reason. Fantastic.

e: Reloading a save fixes it, so good thing I didn't do ironman or the game would be unwinnable!

This happened to me too, except reloading didn't fix it. Thankfully that was on my normal run and I was able to win with only 3 of my soldiers.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Is there any significance to the MEC nickname 'Ryle'? Is it a reference to something?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

SeaTard posted:

I agree, gently caress the hats and all that other cosmetic bullshit. It was fun for the first game or two, but I usually just leave everyone at the default now.

StashAugustine posted:

I would make hats but it doesn't remember their hairstyle.

e: mech in beret + sunglasses is pretty boss though.

Correct answer: I guess it's all down to preference.

Sperg answer: How does it feel to be so wrong?

At the start of the game, all soldiers are in tint 3 (a nice dark green) OR, if I'm feeling unlucky, tint 10, deathwatch black, all with the army helmets that look like regular real-world ones, only squadsight snipers get the hat with headphones, snapshots stick with the regular helm, and that's how it stays for a while. When we get titan armour, everyone gets a full face helmet decided by their class.

When they hit captain, they get a unique colour depending on the soldier, nickname, class, what they've been doing, etc and can wear any helmet they like.

MECs ALWAYS have full face helmets.

No one is allowed to go no helmet / beret until they reach colonel rank, except Zhang and Annette, those snooty no-helmet wearing buggers.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 1, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Encountered something rather interesting on my last base assault

X-Com, pls.

Deuce posted:

Also I just realized that I've literally never used the scatter laser. I saw the gun symbol in the bottom right and had a momentary "what the gently caress is that?" moment.

It's a shotgun laser. A shaser, if you will.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 3, 2013

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Lame game to lame opponent.

How poetic.

I actually think The Bureau was pretty unfairly slated and could've been great.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Are there any mods that basically just add more nicknames to the roster? Ones that fit thematically and are as awesome as the vanilla ones.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

AgentHaiTo posted:

Trailer for a new movie about MEC soldiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE3JMfuPFdQ

Looks generic and forgettable, a tough feat with mechsuits. I'm pretty sure cinema is dead and we aren't getting anymore good films, like ever. It's all romcoms, remakes and superhero films now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
It'd fare a little better against lightning reflexes, but I'd probably end up picking lightning reflexes everytime anyway, it's good for both breaking an enemy overwatch and getting into position to blow that enemy away on the same turn.

I feel like flush should've been a support move from the start, really.

You're right though, once you go training roulette, you never go back.

• Locked thread