Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Not all SHIVS. I think only the alloy and possibly the normal SHIV. Even then, it's half cover not full. It's useful, but not so much that you'd take one just for that feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

SeaTard posted:

Your guy on overwatch has to have a flanking shot on the alien (yellow alien icon on the hud), or the alien has to be sitting in the wide open.

The flanker doesn't have to be the one on overwatch. The alien just has to be know it's flanked/out of cover and is being overwatched, and not be flanking anyone itself. Aliens you're trapping like this will totally shoot at anyone without cover bonuses.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Look up beaglerush ironman impossible if you want to see entertaining and informative videos. I don't know any other good ones off the top of my head.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Diet Coke posted:

I've watched those, they're great. I asked about video walkthroughs of the original though.

Whoops, I'm dumb.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
And of course, not fix the teleporting aliens bug at all.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
My bet, it was originally something other than the number of psi soldiers there and nobody caught the unneeded cast since it worked.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

animatorZed posted:

Ghost armor says hello :)

Well, ghost armor makes everything amazing because of how broken it is.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

The Midniter posted:

(I wonder if they're going to nerf Ghost armor at all)

Think they're reducing the crit bonus to 30% for stealthed units.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Burning_Monk posted:

I'm trying to come up with a strategy that turning your enemy invisible is a bonus to you. *scratches head*

"If I can't see them, they aren't there." :v:

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Half cover's still a lot better than no cover, but on classic/impossible you generally want to either be in full cover or have concealment (they can't shoot what they can't see) anytime an alien's active.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Interesting thing I found out last night: if a soldier steps out of cover to take a shot, and that step puts you in a poison cloud, you get loving poisoned. Yet another reason to be careful when dealing with thin men.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Yeah, even with the Squadsight nerf, the addition of Seekers, and the buff to Snapshot, Squadsight's still far and away more powerful. If you take away gunslinger, it's actually a choice, but in a normal game I can't really see a reason to take snapshot.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Chard posted:

Does Headshot still give a chance at a critical from squadsight? If not they should really just grey out the box, that's kind of lame.

It does. I think it's less than if you were taking the headshot from sight range, but it absolutely does give a chance.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
You know, after a while of playing with training roulette on, I don't think I'm ever going to go back. It's a lot more fun having each soldier be different, and the choices it forces on you are much more interesting. Sure, sometimes you get complete dud choices like grenadier on a squadsight sniper, but other times you have to choose between lightning reflexes and rapid fire for an assault. And then there's hilariously broken combinations like getting bullet swarm and holo-targeting on a support.

On a related note, flush is a really good ability, just not against rapid fire. It works great on snipers, since they can use it to break overwatch on things they can't reliably kill, or use its increased hit chance to finish of weakened enemies. For assaults, I think that it would be better balanced up against lightning reflexes. That way, an assault would always have a way to break up an overwatch.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Welp, just had a bug where a Sectoid I've hit with disabling shot got to take a reaction shot with every step my guy made until he killed him. poo poo like this is why I don't play ironman.

Sectoid or Sectopod? I've only heard of it happening with Sectopods.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

fargom posted:

This is the never ending debate of XCOM.
Seriously people, go outside your comfort zone on this one. The most fun I've had lately was with a Support Mec with One for All and a Snapshot sniper with sprinter from Training roulette. Why yes, yes I would like a mobile 50% cover spot to murder you with my sniper, thank you.

I did, the snapshot sniper is serviceable, but was seriously outstripped by my squadsight snipers. No gunslinger either. The penalty for movement is not much, but even if it was zero it wouldn't be enough as it stands. Squadsight just opens up so many more shots. I find it better even when I'm keeping my sniper close to the rest of my team because I can get better angles and/or a safe shot. I think you guys should give them another go if you haven't in a while.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

prefect posted:

It really is relaxing when you're in a late-game mission and a group of enemies are revealed as sectoids/thin men/floaters. I just want to pat their little heads. :3:

I just had a late council mission with only sectoids. I killed every one of them with grenades. Two packs before they activated. Nice change of pace from having four commanders on me at once shortly before.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

prefect posted:

Question about Exalt extraction missions: It looks like you could send a covert operative with mimetic skin and complete the mission without firing a shot. Does that actually work, or do they figure out how to detect you?

The issue with that is that you'll be revealed if you move while being able to see an enemy. But the only thing stopping you from completing the mission without shooting is the whole bullets in your face thing.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Okay, so I just lost two countries to complete bullshit. I start building my satellite uplink and it's set to get completed just before the council report. It's first in the event order, the day counter ticks down for it first, even though they have the same count at some points. Then a terror mission, slingshot 1, and an abduction happen. All three missions go wonderfully, with only squaddie Jesus getting killed along the way.
Then I notice that the uplink is now after the council report. The report does come first, and I lose Egypt, South Africa, and Mexico all at once. I mean I'm still on track to win this game, but still what the gently caress game? :argh:

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Doing it right would be a bit more complicated, look where the heavy is.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Yeah, that's not a bad trade honestly. Also, I was looking at the wrong healthbar. Assuming regular grenade, Zhang would just be hurting like hell. The one I can't see would be hosed if nobody else could take down the bug next to him. Still better than the alternative though.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I do like the occasional situation where poo poo completely hits the fan like that. It's fun running all of the options and getting out by the skin of your teeth (or not) instead of stomping all over everything.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Okay, so I just busted into a ufo cockpit with a shiv and the outsider took cover ... on my shiv. So now it's using my shiv as cover, from my shiv. loving love this game sometimes.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
The keyboard binding to hunker down was broken. Not the actual action.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I think I'm set for this bomb disposal mission.

Related, the "new guy" upgrade is awesome.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I was thinking more along the lines of:

But I like your answer too.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Ah Newfoundland. Yeah, that one can get hairy real quick on your first time through.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Survived with two badly wounded soldiers left in my squad on my first run. And yes, I consider that brag-worthy

I lost two squaddies on my first run through. Just barely made it back in time though, with no ammo on anyone.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

poptart_fairy posted:

I didn't read the names properly at first and was hoping, so very hoping, these were posted by the same person.

I just had one death in that mission. If it's any consolation, operation Throw Squaddies at the Problem 2: Sectoid Boogaloo was a rousing failure.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I have to say I completely underrated reaper rounds. The aim isn't that bad and it makes shotguns viable for a lot longer.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Coolguye posted:

I like that the only two non-squaddies on this mission are 'WEDNESDAY' and 'ALL DAY'.

I'm rather disappointed that I haven't gotten a third assault named "Everyday".

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
It would be a good idea if you were trying to capture one.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Don't work on psionic aliens. Also, disabling shot would lower their health to improve the capture rate.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

RBA Starblade posted:

A thin man would just shoot it down. :v:
Through cloud cover.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I'd highly recommend it with a team of sentinel module shivs. It's hilarious.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Okay, I just caught an extremely lucky break. I moved an assault up to kill a mind-merging sectoid and triggered another group of sectoids and an outsider. I used a rocket to kill a floater which was absolutely going to get a shot on my assault, and wound up destroying my assault's cover despite it not being highlighted. Then the sectoids and outsider do nothing. In full view of my exposed soldier.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I just said that I was extremely lucky, not that I didn't know what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
When combat drugs was bugged to give aim, it was a choice. Will and crit chance aren't nearly enough to justify giving up portable high cover.

• Locked thread