Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

How do you melee Sectopods, or that's a LW thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

That's stupid. If that's the case there's no reason to not start in North America.

From what I know, the idea is that selecting a starting continent will give you a unique bonus you cannot get any other way and getting all the countries will give you a different bonus.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

At least they are not floaters who completely disappear after heavy floaters.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

LotsBread posted:

Is there gonna be a sequel?

Maybe

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

oswald ownenstein posted:

It's a viable strategy but it's gamey and stupid.

"I don't want to take good equipment on this difficult mission because it's poorly balanced and losing any soldiers means losing all their gear"

Can't you just send a bunch of SHIVs?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

nevermind

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The best part if you find something way too hard or annoying you can tweak the ini file to change it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

Would the current build be the one with all the nice changes or would it be better just to wait?

Well Beagle said that the B15 changes will be buggy with B14 saves, mostly because the big change is that it remakes the whole starting continent system, so you choose countries instead.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I'm just not patient enough to wait out all those Chrysalids to wake up, and I'm always afraid I gently caress up somewhere and one gets past.

Newfoundland is still easy to do, first just kill every enemy on the map, make sure you don't get inside the ship. Then send your fastest unit to the top, look at the whale from there and head to the bridge, meanwhile the rest should stand guard around the docks, halfway to the extraction point.
For me the newly spawned lids got confused and never actually left the ship, or when they did I was far away, the only problem will be the two that spawns outside.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Make sure you edit the config files of EW not EU.

And you may or may not need to start a new game, not sure.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

I wish you could set those stats individually. +15% to air war makes it actually (mostly) tolerable, but +15% to all troops means you'll be getting a lot of guaranteed hits. By the end of the game, with decent aim and items, most shots you take will be practically a sure thing.

You say that like that's a bad thing, especially with some of the increased defence some enemies get

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

I don't watch TNX because I don't have patience for 3 hours of bumbling around in a video game. I wish that there were highlights available for idiots like me.

... or you can just skip forward in parts you find boring.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So I looked up the B15 changes and I saw that the Phoenix Cannon will make a return as a weaker version of the laser cannon and later you can improve it to the Coilgun we currently have.

Is this a good enough reason not to rush advanced lasers anymore?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

NSLW will be redone in B15 so if you want to play that, might as well wait it out.

trucutru posted:

That why you mess with the .ini. I downloaded that big set of modifications that has been posted here a few times and now the airgame is mostly fair. I still have a shitload of damaged planes but at least I can down a medium UFO (with laser cannons) without having to send my whole fleet.

problem is, the air game is not really customisable, you can reduce repair and re-arm times though.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Fuzz posted:

As a bonus, the UPK patching program can install and then uninstall the mod, so you can put it in when you research Advanced Aerospace or specifically the satellite aiming bonus, just to pretend it's given to you as a research project. Honestly, I kinda wish the Long War guys would implement it that way, that would be rad as hell.

They will in B15

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Bethesda is anything but a young company, they just never got any better.

I mean, have you played Daggerfall?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I read that as "Sectoid" and now I really want to see that.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You can also install a mod where you can choose the class yourself.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

legoman727 posted:

Yeah there's kind of a glitch with B14 where if your MEC dies, the suit (but nothing equipped to it) goes. It's fixed in B15, but. welp.

It's a bug?

I know vanilla Suit repair is not in, but there will be repair options in B15 with its own GUI and everything.
In fact, I've read the JL is thinking about expanding the concept on other, non-MEC items too.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So I mentioned JL is working on a new repair system, well it will be on B15 now:

quote:

- Reinstituted MEC repair and added repair of regular soldier items. Many items can now be damaged during (technically, after) combat and will have an increasing chance of needing repair following combat based on how many 'true' (non-armor) hp a soldier has lost. (Items will always function for the duration of a battle.) Armor, weapons, and small items that aren't infinite or fundamentally consumable (like grenades and ammo) are in the mix, although the chances they'll need repair is capped even if a soldier is killed varying on how likely something is to get damaged (armor=higher chances; pistol=lower chances, etc). Cybernetics Lab is now called "Repair Bay," is much cheaper, and may be built from campaign start. Cost to repair an item is initially set of 20% cash, meld, alloy and elerium cost, and a formula for time to repair is also in place that starts with a baseline of 60% of build time but goes down as you develop Advanced Repair and add engineers to your staff (minimum is 72 hours). The following items are ini-adjustable: repair time% of baseline build time, resource cost as% of baseline resource cost, and you can turn off repair requirements entirely with one variable. Removed Second Wave option "More than Human" and replaced with Wear and Tear, which gives a chance that items will be damaged on missions and require repairs even when a soldier isn't hurt. The chance is initially set at 20% per item, and this value is ini-moddable. Many item costs are being adjusted downward to make up for reduced utility when they are in the shop.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

trucutru posted:

Yes! Van Doorn is finally out of the hospital! Time to kick some... gently caress! His autolaser and caparace are still in the armor shop! That'll teach me to get randomly hit by aliens.

I don't know but for me it would be pretty hard to forget repairing all those things during the whole month PVD is in the hospital.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Did people freak the gently caress out the same way when B14 was coming out?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

On non-LW related news:

https://twitter.com/XCOM/status/567352759679070208

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I played that mission thinking I actually have to run back...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Bigger problem in those missions is that there are only two options to disable their weapons, and the reinforcements come right after, while you can permanently disable them in the other missions.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There you go, the big reveal, a screenshot of B15 country select screen.

(and now I know what Kiryu-Kai Commander does)

Seriously though, not sure why you guys expected something special, this is just an opportunity to advertise the game and get more sales on the next Steam sale.

Hopeford posted:

I can post a link to it once I'm done, but the sound won't run properly without using the dev console until B15(or whenever the Long War people finish the voice function, they are the ones doing the hard work, I'm just a dumbass following along the wikia).

Gonna have this like, so ready to install as soon as b15 drops though!

How hard is it to do these, I was thinking about doing one.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Indecisive posted:

I am under the impression that the countries they are 'adding' are just for soldier home countries, not making a bajillion new places to put satellites up over

Yes, but I've heard there is a way to add more playable countries, but they left it as a mod option

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Funny you should mention scouts, here's the current scout tree:

quote:

Lightning Reflexes
Holo-Targeting*Gunslinger*drat Good Ground
Flush*Lone Wolf*Battlescanner
Sprinter*Sharpshooter*Tactical Sense
Ranger*Aggression*Low Profile
Vital Point Targeting*Bring 'Em On*Smoke and Mirrors
Concealment*In the Zone*Hit and Run

What is Concealment you ask? Well...

quote:

* Psi Shadow perk renamed "Concealment" and removed from Psi Tree. Now a MSGT perk on Scout tree. Hacking an Exalt array and capturing meld now reveals hidden soldiers.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Both of these are great, too, though I can't tell if Concealment is the old Psi Shadow AND the "reveal hidden soldiers" thing or if the "reveal hidden" is a native property of scouts.

I think it means that if you get meld/hack exalt while cloaked, you get de-cloaked.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm kind of disappointed that Beagle didn't wait until 1 March 2015 to start the new campaign.

Now we know the release date of B15

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Lima posted:

Did the LW devs mention if MEC suits will be affected by the B15 item decay thing?

The original idea was that it would only apply to MEC suits, then JL figured out he can use the same thing on other items.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Does the Steadfast perk make you immune to the Muton intimidate or that's just the alien trophy?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Sober posted:

Guess B15's internal is stable enough. Get hype, I guess that means we're starting in March again!

At best we might see some hilarious bugs.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't think it does, but you can change those by hand in the ini file.

E: Actually I remember certain things working differently in NSLW, not sure how those will be changed.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Just so you know RnG Chrysalids, alien research base missions, Xcom melee attacks and I don't know what else future things you could read on reddit ages ago will not be in B15.

As for it not being tested, well we did not just see one guy testing it before thousands of people....

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

fargom posted:

Does B15 include a reduction in hospital/interceptor repair time or did I misread that somewhere? For some reason I'm thinking each one is getting reduced by 33% or so?

I just read trough the current changelog and I don't remember seeing anything like that.

There are however country bonuses that can do these.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The panic is 100% going to be "I'M LOSING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION"

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

legoman727 posted:

And Beagle STILL refuses to research firestorms so he can actually finish the campaign. Not to mention his PSI is so far behind that he'll get wiped out before he can get a volunteer.

Firestorms also require a shitton of resources he doesn't have.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

legoman727 posted:

Not quite true. Sometimes Seekers will make this weird WAAAAAAAAH sound.

When you see them, Seekers are totally silent otherwise, you don't even get directional sound cues unless there's something else in that pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

legoman727 posted:

Nah, I've had scanners on Seekers before, and they do make a noise announcing themselves sometimes, like the sectoid barking and the thin men whispers. It may be the same noise as drones though, as they were kinda lazy in reusing the same sound for Mectoids and Sectopods.

Yes, they give out noise then but not while they are in the fog.

• Locked thread