Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Andre Banzai posted:

Oh yeah, Fargin Icehole, also: build Alloy SHIVs and USE THEM. They are awesome.

Yeah, alloy SHIVs are basically your strategic "oh poo poo!" button when your A-Team bites the dust in a particularly bad mission. They let your rookies survive and catch-up basically. Do NOT ignore their research even if you are not actively using them.

Andre Banzai posted:

Hahahahaha please explain. I think I know where you're coming from, but I'd like to know what your thoughts are anyway. And in your opinion, is Impossible fair?

You have snipers who can hit enemies across the map, assaults with run & gun and rapid fire, heavies with heat ammo who hits like a truck against sectopods and most important of all you always have the element of surprise and the ability to kill packs before they even get a chance to fire back. The only alien creature who gets close to "x-com team" levels of bullshit are sectopods. It's downright unfair to aliens.

fspades fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Beans posted:

That would be a great option. I feel like xcom is at it's best when you are far from that perfect load out and are trying to scrape by using whatever limited resources you have at hand.

And it would also give you a reason to use those almost never picked abilities such as snap shot. They should really patch that in.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Red Crown posted:

Wow, this sure is X-Com. I went from managing my life pretty well to getting hosed with a rusty iron rod after the first base assault. Now I'm staring down packs of Mutons sticking close together and cyberdiscs and I cannot keep up.

This is the time to roll out those SHIVs you were developing while you train those rookies. If you don't have any SHIV tech researched though, you are boned and now you know why you should have!

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How does that 8 soldier rule work out in some smaller maps? I'm particularly thinking of that tiny construction area aka The Worst Map.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Icon Of Sin posted:

I wonder if EW will be like an alt history, where the XCOM project was terminated (complete with Sectoid Commander mind controlling the Council representative) and XCOM has to survive as a more-or-less private/self-funded entity, with governments and aliens that are friendly, neutral, hostile, etc? Welcome back, Apocalypse :getin:

Judging by the teaser trailer they showed us, I bet all my money on "evil XCOM" theory. Basically another paramilitary organization that uses alien technology to achieve world domination. And they knew about the aliens a lot longer before you did so they are more advanced. Secret military bases, alien-human hybrids, black helicopters and all that stuff. Call them Majestic 12 or... the Bureau :unsmigghh:

Also I understand the sniper love but really, I love my bum-rushing assaults much more these days. They are stone-cold killers and destroyer of sectopods. At least on Classic you are wrong when you say XCOM punishes an aggressive style. Just try it.

fspades fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 15, 2013

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MadJackMcJack posted:

Wait, what trailer?

It was from PAX East. Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF1MqYb0dmE

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sardonik posted:

Pause this carefully at around :32. You can clearly see a logo, this will be the logo of the mind-controlled human faction you fight against that they haven't announced yet I bet. Cult of Siris 2.0 right here.

Yeah, here it is:

Let's bring motherfucking Cobra to this poo poo. :getin:

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Christian Knudsen posted:

Yeah, they could just be talking about a single unit when saying that you can't go all the way with both -- and not the overall research.

I'd be disappointed if that was true. I want to spend all of my MELD or whatever on a single super-soldier. All my tactics will revolve around that soldier.

The rest of the team are expendable and only used in the purpose of getting more MELD.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Andre Banzai posted:

Anyway, here are some interesting news:

(from http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/22/4643478/xcom-enemy-within-gamescom-2013-garth-deangelis)

On the subject of assimilating alien parts, DeAngelis suggested that while the mechanic is a tidy way to tie the new classes into the game, players should think about the more ethical or emotional implications that come with it.

"You're taking these pieces of alien technology, and it's more so than just giving them to your scientists and engineering them, you're assimilating them inside of you to use against aliens," he said. "There's more to it than that, but I'll leave it at that for now."

Oh no! I assimilated alien parts and now everything is better and easier and there are no apparent downsides. Really makes you think. :jerkbag:

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

Ananda seemed pretty on the ball in the video, but that could just be marketing speak. It's hard for developers to judge difficulty anyway in my experience.

I'm OK with it. They seem to be aware that the game gets progressively easier. If they do something to address that I'll be happy.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kelp Plankton posted:

Since I hadn't seen anyone make a clearer image of that mystery logo yet, I whipped something up.

I feel like there's some missing text that should be either filling in that empty lower half of the logo, or sitting above or below it. Which seems like an obvious thing.

There is a single star symbol at the bottom center. Other than that, I think it's empty.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pro-tip: You managed to enter that thin man's fov without triggering his overwatch, congrats. That doesn't mean you can retreat back to your previous square without him one shotting your dude and causing a cascading series of failure that ends in a full squad wipe.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ekster posted:

So, I bought this game 2 weeks ago and have been playing on normal Ironman difficulty...

I finished the alien base for the first time, and really felt that things were starting to come together. I had an abduction mission afterwards which was in this incredibly tiny map. It's basically a construction field which one soldier can see about three-quarters of. During the first turn I saw no aliens at all, then they all seemed to teleport in. Because the map is so tiny, all the aliens were activated at the same time. Three insectoids, three thin men, and three mutons (first time I've seen them in my game).

I have no idea how I'm supposed to deal with this. I could easily deal with this if it was on a larger map, but the problem is that the moment I get out of the entrance I'm flanked by mutons. When I stay at the entrance, I have no choice but to bunch them up, which makes the mutons grenade them.

Since I'm playing ironman I have no choice but to retreat, since I stopped and saved after my team was almost massacred (no deaths yet though). How am I supposed to deal with this in the future?

That map is pretty much the second worst map right after the Murder Street. You don't have many options but remember to check the right corner first. There is always a pack there. Other than that try to stay away from the middle and remember to liberally apply explosives to problems.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ZergRushing posted:

Rescue UK to get all of Europe's panic levels down. If you choose one of the others you risk losing Russia forever (which is BIG BUXXX). You should never be picking China here and Mexico is only an option if the reward is better and you think Russia won't leave after the mission (like if they just went red) and you can get a sat up on it in a couple days. Pick an asian country for your next mission to get Australia's panic down. I'm pretty sure sats make a country's panic go up more slow so don't worry about the Aussies for now ;)

This is wrong. Countries with satellites can leave the council and receive increased panic at the same rate, although they may have a small chance to not leave and fall back to panic level 4 at the council report. A successful abduction mission only lowers panic in the chosen country but otherwise leave the other countries on the same continent at exactly the same panic level. Unless you can do alien base this month, your best option is China.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

Ehh, if you run with the idea that psychic powers travel similarly to radiation or something you just have to have a thing that prevents that. It doesn't matter what it is so much as how it travels through the aether.

You are thinking this too hard. You just give the captive a small electric shock every time it attempts to do something funny. Repeat this process until the subject is "pacified".

A lot of options become available with Dr. Vahlen's ethical code and a liberal reinterpretation of the word "interrogation"

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

quiggy posted:

I have to admit that I'm a little concerned about EXALT after watching this. I know that one of the stated reasons they're a threat is because of sheer numbers, but there are just so goddamn many enemies in this demo that I can't see a way you could possibly get through this mission unscathed. I feel like if the EXALT were a little bit more powerful on a per-unit basis but only brought, say, 10-12 soldiers to a battle it would be a little more reasonable. As it stands they just seem incredibly powerful on a pure zerg-rush level.

Oh, and I shudder to think of how many EXALT will appear on Impossible missions :cripes:

Keep in mind that mission was on normal difficulty. If nothing I'd expect them to use those rockets more often on Classic.

Though there are rough edges on the AI: Medic charges and stops near the capture area without cover. He gets wounded and next turn heals himself... without getting into cover :downs:

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Dog posted:

I'm still trying to think what would be the most broken skillset this would generate

Run & Gun (Assault)
Lightning Reflexes
Rapid Fire
HEAT Ammo
Sprinter
Extra Conditioning
Holo-targeting In The Zone

Fixed. :getin:

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trilin posted:

The AI forgoing a unit's original intended gimmick in order to make the most optimal play isn't always the best idea.

I agree with this. There was a good reason why the EW devs didn't allow them to do that; it wasn't a simple oversight. The solution should be to make their primary attack more damaging and make them harder to kill with overwatch. Maybe give them lighting reflexes and stuff...

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Strobe, at this point you should note that nobody else is having the same amount of difficulties with early game sectoids as you do. Yes, there are more of them than in vanilla, but you also have six soldiers instead of four, plus more skills and equipment. In all other respects they are mostly the same. Losing a few rookies due to lucky shots are expected, but have you ever lost a mission outright to just sectoids?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Beagle is in some tough poo poo in twitch right now.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crazy Ferret posted:

I don't see this ending in a good way short of some straight up miracle magic

He just have to accept he lost digitalpope and get out of there.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sober posted:

If you can extract stabilized people he should've done that, ghosted dpope and friends, then just try to have both his MECs tank hits instead. He's still screwed super hard no matter what cause a MC would just be icing on the cake for the aliens.

He can get out of there at the cost of dpope right now but he won't do it because he's insane about his fantasy soldiers lives.

edit: Also I don't believe you can extract stabilized people. He has to win the mission to save dpope. It's impossible.

fspades fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 9, 2015

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'm a big fan of Beagle's work, but I tend to hit the highlight reel. When I'm watching the Long War Live & Impossible youtube series, I can play at double speed and keep things moving quickly, but that's not an option in the Twitch archives. So, I have a request - can anyone link me to the video with that 57 health berserker in it and gimme a timestamp so I can laugh at Beagle's pain and revel in his victory?

Here you go. It's a long one. As for his "victory"... well, you'll see.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
He should put that to Youtube for people that missed it because goddamn :stare:

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ravenfood posted:

Its very doable. Beagle bounced back from a failed base defense, iirc. Its hard, but with how long techs take to build up, you can be falling behind the aliens and then suddenly get a major edge once, say, ultracap lasers come online.

If you're talking about his twitch campaign, I'm pretty sure he won the base defense in that one, just with heavy loses.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I'd like to imagine it didn't get up on the UFO after it landed; it was always there. This is their brilliant new plan for fighting your interceptors. Just stick a huge robot on top of it, drat it!

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

It's highly likely they are working on the sequel right now and I would expect them to announce it this year. Also, judging by his twitter feed, the art director of XCOM is currently working on a project, but maybe it's that new Starships game.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Grappling is seriously underrated, in my opinion. It opens up so many possibilities I'm surprised people don't take it more often. That alone puts Corsair above Titan for me.

edit: As a common point of reference, remember that UFO mission when Beagle had a near full squad wipe because he couldn't make it to the extraction point which was on a steep cliff from his side? Grappling would have changed that.

fspades fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 8, 2015

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zoran posted:

Here's a cleaned-up version of the layout I just posted:
The power sector and workshop sector can be swapped, depending on where the steam is.

Early building priorities:
1. Dig out the first square on the right and rush-build a laboratory. Having a lab up by March ~20 is huge for early research timing.
2. Dig toward the top-left corner and build a generator there.
3. Get the OTS as soon as possible.
4. Dig toward the nearest steam vent, and build a thermo generator.
5. Grab a workshop and the foundry. You should be able to get the workshop online before you get Advanced Lasers, which saves a chunk on weapon upgrades.
6. If you build most of the temporary fission generators, you should have enough power to add another laboratory, the alien containment, two more satellite uplinks, and the cybernetics lab. Usually, I do my first expansion in June.

Building all this stuff means selling artifacts really aggressively—UFO power sources and elerium are good things to sell, because you don't need them early.

How do you deal with steam vents that appear in the second row? Usually those are the ones that throws my base plan off.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Indecisive posted:

Nah there's no point, this thread isn't exactly booming with business.

We could at least have an OP that gives Long War a more prominent place so newcomers wouldn't be confused what people are talking about. An answer to "who the hell is this beagle?" would be nice too.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That new British voice sounds very nice.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That floater suppression. They try. They really try. :allears:

And that trench, wow. This is like WWI right now.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The high point for me was someone stepping on the mine he laid literally 2 hours ago.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And now back to your regular schedule where XCOM steps out of the Skyranger and things immediately start to explode.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Corvinus posted:

A LW campaign can reasonably be finished by summer/fall '16, it's just that Beagle had a few setbacks and the aliens ended up with a good research/resource advantage. If Beagle hadn't been behind on PSI/resources he would have rolled those through those crowds much more quickly. It's also possible to have multiple PSIs with Rift by this time and that ability will murder large packs of almost every alien type with trivial ease.

Yeah, it's getting apparent he's fighting an uphill battle now. There are no more easy missions like he used to get a couple of months ago.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Apple2o posted:

So is it a good tactic to set up overwatch walls then pull pods with your sniper? Or even just pull pods with a scout then retreat back to overwatch? Currently i've just been scanning where they are and trying to sneak up on them and engage for a 1 turn wipe (like I did all early-game). However this back-fires alot. The pods will activate early, or ill get caught mid-move by random other pods. My guys are beefy enough to usually not die outright from a mistake, but having a mechtoid put someone in the hospital for 50 days is really annoying.

I watch people like beagle play and they move around flank and stuff during fights; but when I do that I always seem to find more pods that come and mess me up. I've now made it as far as I ever have in an LW campaign (NSLW august) and I feel like I need some new tactics for engaging fights. I'm starting to hit the big-boy aliens (berserkers, sectoid commanders, etc) and they are dropping dudes left and right if I don't fight them under pristine conditions.

First question: No. Second question: It can be, depending on the situation. There are three common reasons to overwatch: Overwatch while exploring to get free shots at unrevealed alien pods moving into your FOV; overwatch an alien to prevent him from moving in preparation for a flanking maneuver (or to prevent an enemy flanking maneuver); and overwatch to catch an alien charging into your overwatch line he couldn't see. Beyond that, it is a terrible idea to overwatch aliens you can see (except for some overwatch builds in LW who are more effective at it) because you are giving them the opportunity to take free shots at your soldiers while they are sitting there doing nothing. In this game, you don't want to get into shooting matches with aliens, because they'll win through attrition. Instead you want them to not be able to shoot at you. You can also achieve this making their chances to hit so low they don't even try. Hunkering, suppression, smokes, flashbangs, disabling shots, ghost grenades etc. are vital tools for this.

If you watch Beagle you'll notice he's actually extremely cautious (some would say too much, even) to not reveal new pods while he's in a fight. He just knows how the FOV works and counts tiles a lot to make sure he's not revealing new ground while he's maneuvering. Also he listens to sound cues carefully to predict where the pods could be. You may not need to be that extreme if you're not playing Ironman Impossible but it pays to have a general idea how much new ground you're revealing when you move a soldier.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Antti posted:

Now to be fair he kind of got into this mess himself by dragging his feet on the campaign progression, but I think what's toxic is he's too stubborn to call the campaign a lost cause because of sunk cost fallacy. I'm going to get on the high horse and say he'd probably feel better in the long run if he just junked the TNX campaign and started from scratch.

But he can't lose. He's mopping the floor with aliens in battles. Even if aliens completely dominates at air game (which would be bullshit on game's part) he can just launch endless amount of satellites and do abduction missions to keep panic down. He doesn't even need to win at air game. All he needs to do is to defeat the overseer and grind someone in Psi to max level. But that's not very fun.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dyzzy posted:

So 2K games has a new teaser website up and speculation on /r/xcom is already rampant:

http://www.adventfuture.org/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/379wqq/commanders_it_looks_like_the_second_invasion_may/

It seems some XCOM assets, like font and in-game movie posters were re-used. I'm a huge pessimist though so this probably just means it's Bioshock: Future Dystopia.

Yup, this is definitely about XCOM. "we are still watching."

About drat time too...

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Notorious QIG posted:

Eh, it could be a new Bioshock, what with the failed utopian imagery and all. More XCOM is definitely preferred, of course.

Check the pamphlet's properties in Adobe Reader. One of the fonts used is listed as XCOM-Regular.

Also, people noted the third picture (with futuristic buildings and cars) uses some XCOM assets. It also looks like a XCOM map to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also, there is this sound file you can listen if you click on the "Policed 24 hours a day" line. It mentions something about refugees. Perhaps the game is set after the real invasion. Or maybe the world gone to hell after everyone and their dog got plasma weapons.

• Locked thread