Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I'm looking forward to turning critically injured troops into mechs.

EVEN IN DEATH I STILL SERVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Hi thread, just posting to say gently caress THIN MEN okay bye back to discussing new DLC.

I just did the hostage rescue mission where you're in the square with the big raised fountain in the middle. Thanks to some previous casualties, I only had six fresh people for the mission. Which included three higher-level heavies.

Every time one of those packs of thin men would reveal themselves, they'd automatically run and hide behind the nearest car or structure. Didn't do poo poo for them though. Because every time they did, my nearest heavy would launch a rocket and send them all flying across the screen while yelling DANGER ZOOOONE.

Totally ruthless and I lost out on a ton of weapon fragments, but gently caress those guys.

I guess it was more funny to watch than to describe. :shobon:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

gannyGrabber posted:

Psssh, you guys and your "morality".

"Their. . . ethical inflexibility. . has allowed us to make progress in areas they refuse to consider!"

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Suppression always seemed useless as hell to me. Whenever it's used against me, I do one of two things:

A) If an enemy is shooting at me, it means he's in range of my guns as well. The squad shoots him down; the previously suppressed trooper prances daintily out of the kill zone.

B) My suppressed assault trooper momentarily panics to himself, saying "Oh poo poo, I'm suppressed!" Then he comes to his senses and says "Wait a minute, I have lightning reflexes!" and prances daintily out of the kill zone.

Using it against the enemy has seemed pointless as well, since if I want a free shot at an enemy within range, I can just overwatch and get the same effect.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Coolguye posted:

Do not let her soft smile or her quiet eyes fool you: that chick is a stone cold killer.

What a winning combination. :swoon:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I'm almost to the end game on classic. Been rolling with four heavies and two snipers.

It is glorious.

There is no cover.

There is only the DANGER ZOOOOOOOOONE.

One of my heavies turned out to be a psyker, so I think I'm gonna roll into the end mission with six heavies just for shits and giggles.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Wonder if you get to keep their guns if they do that.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Modern ones like the 240B have handles like that on them. However their purpose is giving the assistant gunner something to grab when doing a barrel change, not something to grab when shooting from the hip. Shooting from the hip is not really a thing in actual combat, especially when it comes to belt-fed machine guns.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

gently caress me, 26 enemies in late May, at least two Cyberdisks among them, at least three Mechtoids, you don't get to pick your squad, and you have to clog the meat grinder with the bones of so many redshirts that four fatalities is evaluated as "Good"?

Screw that, I'm going back to playing on Normal.

Wait, what's this about not getting to pick your squad?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

jng2058 posted:

You know, the original X-Com had a particularly anime-esque vibe, particularly the opening cinema. For someone to make an actual XCom anime would be a very "and now the circle is complete" moment.

This seems more 90's Saturday morning cartoon than it does anime.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Oh my god gently caress that whale mission.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Photosynaesthesias posted:

That was the coolest mission so far. I was pretty lucky because everyone in my squad could run real far but the escape at the end was tense as hell! It made me really want a mission where you fight overwhelming hordes of approaching zombies, Battle of Yonkers style.

It definitely brought a clench factor that I did not at all expect from this type of game. Which I suppose is pretty awesome, they really forced me out of my ever so careful comfort zone on it.

But gently caress, that poo poo is brutal.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Glorious moment on the Slingshot train mission. I've got four guys all taking cover on one side of the interior of the train, almost near the front. Two supports with laser rifles, two heavies. All of them are overwatching.

A thin man drops down on one side of the train, only five squares or so from them.

In unison, all four of them buttstroke the train's glass window and open fire.

Truly glorious.

gently caress you, thin man. :commissar:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You can't pre-order something that's already released.

That said, this game is totally worth full price.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

We're going to see that language evolve. I know for sure I'm never going back to the old class skill system.

I really hate how the gene mod soldiers look. I want my beefy armour back, sleeveless should be an option but not mandatory.

I'm really finding that squadsight snipers get left behind more often now. Between fluid mission objectives like that loving whale mission and trying to get meld containers, my guys are on the move far more often than not. My first sniper is a squadsight guy, and I've fired his rifle. . . four or five times in as many hours of gameplay so far.

Lately my general squad setup has been an assault, a heavy or two, and the rest sprinter supports. The added maneuverability is really killer. I'm gonna roll my next sniper as a snapshot guy and use him in a scout/sniper kind of role with battle scanner.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Gunslinger snipers make the best covert operatives.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

If you skip the first Portent mission when it's offered, does it get offered later, like the Slingshot stuff did in EU?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Man, on my first run through EW I somehow miraculously had lasers up by the time the French convoy mission came up. Breezed through it without thinking much of it.

This time through, I don't.

loving THIN MEN.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 18, 2013

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Absolutely worth full price.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Just an FYI, Annette has no special dialogue for being the volunteer.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I started a game on classic yesterday, going for the army of four achievement.

Holy balls, it is tense. Just got las/carapace and it's still a ball-buster on stuff that normally wouldn't be. EXALT missions and terror missions especially. With six dudes, you have enough firepower to reliably wipe anything on screen in a turn. With four, you really have to prioritize and use every dirty trick available to you.

And I mean every. Dirty. Trick.

The terror mission I did last night gave my whole team PSTD. The chrysallids kept coming, and they kept eating/impregnating the civilians, and then the civilians kept coming and/or chestbursting, and well. . .

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

waah posted:

Let me know if you come up with pearls of wisdom. I keep getting to the start of month three and my C/I army of four run ends with either confounding light or just not being able to handle all the aliens.

I got lucky enough to have three or four guys (including Zhang) with low profile via training roulette, so I have been abusing the everliving gently caress out of memetic skin.

I also savescum like a madman. :v:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Scut posted:

Yes, you will keep the suit if you dismiss the trooper. It's considered armour.

To: ANavarre//UNATCO.9954.1131
Subject: dinosores

See, what do I tell you? Manderley wil be hapy to have the garbage truk take me
back to Deutschland. Now especally with the new nano-aug alredy ariving. We
are the old computers the Americans call "dinosores."

See if I ever get a skul-gun at all.

Gunther

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

If you're still finding things too easy, roll with a four man team instead of six. And no MECs.

All the stuff that people here have been saying are pushovers, such as berserkers, add much more sweat factor if you only have four dudes' worth of firepower to deal with it. Not to mention when you accidentally trigger two or three packs of aliens at once.

Or two sectopods. :stare:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

So. . when you have dudes with lightning reflexes, and you run them through some ridiculous gauntlet of fire and they come through unscathed, does anyone else here think of the naked, greased-up deaf guy on Family Guy? Cause whenever one of my guys does that, I can't help but say "You're never gonna catch me, you may as well just give up" as the terrain all around the guy explodes.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I swear I would turn all three of the Furies into MECs if they weren't all high-will psychics. Mine even rolled Sniper / Assault / Support when I desperately needed another Assault.

Maybe I'll ask the squaddie Support to volunteer since his aim sucks.

The three Furies soldiers have always come out sniper/assault/support for me. It's only been Annette whose class has been random.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Just finished a classic, no-MEC, army of four run. Lost no countries in the process either. :smugdog:

The MVP this run was an ITZ snapshot sniper named 'Hex,' who also came with lightning reflexes and sentinel. There were numerous occasions when she would kill four or five xenos in a turn, overwatch, and kill another two while overwatching. Absolute monster.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

If I capture an alien type that I've already interrogated, do I still get a corpse? This is very important and corporal Wilson is waiting on his orders.

I think you do. One of the recent games I went through, I captured the first Ethereal I ran into. I interrogated him (instantly, thanks to the SA bonus), and right after that the autopsy research was available.

Which means Vahlen really had her fun with him before making him available for autopsy.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

I also wish that Berserkers were more like a heavy Chryssalid in the amount of threat they they present alive,

Play with no squad size upgrades and this is entirely a reality.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Boogle posted:

I prefer to leave a continent free of satellite coverage because of this. It allows me to recruit people straight out the gate that don't suck balls at the late game.

I've noticed that the higher-level recruits I get from those sorts of missions tend to have lovely stats though. Like a MAJ heavy with only 75 aim. By contrast, the heavies that I had leveled up from rookies were in the 80s or 90s.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Supersheep posted:

It seems like the teleporting bug still isn't properly fixed.

Not in the slightest. I was fighting in the open part of a supply barge today, trading shots with some mutons. My scout sniper (mimetic skin) got all the way over to the room right before the ship's bridge and spotted a cyberdisk and two drones. Next turn, POOF, the cyberdisk and drones disappear, and then appear right behind the rest of my crew that was in mid-firefight with the mutons.

Thank goodness for secondary hearts is all I'm gonna say.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't know.

And considering if she has access to her "facilities" in Brazil and Argentina she can do it in under an hour, I don't think I want to know.

I think the South America bonus indicates that she has help from the 'Boys in Brazil.'

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

JUST CARPET BOMB THIS MOTHERFUCKER http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/6835/20140430/community-fears-80-ton-blue-whale-carcass-will-explode-on-its-shore.htm

quote:

The rotting carcass of a 85-foot-long blue whale has created a spectacle in the Newfoundland, Canada, town of Trout River, with some residents of the sleepy seaside community fearing gasses erupting from the dead whale could cause it to burst.

Local authorities are still trying to come up with a solution for what to do with the 60-ton blue whale carcass, which is drawing spectators as it creates a stench that wafts through the community of 600 along the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

"I'm not sure with the heat and gases that are trapped inside of this mammal if at some point in time it will explode," Town Clerk Emily Butler told The Associated Press.

Share This Story

The whale's carcass is bloating as it decomposes, releasing methane gas. However, the chances that it will explode are slim, according to the AP, which cited Jack Lawson, a research scientist with Canada's Fisheries Department.

It's possible that local fears over the whale carcass exploding were sparked by a viral video last year where a marine biologist at the National Museum of the Faroe Islands cuts open a dead sperm whale with explosive results.

A more realistic concern is that local tourism will be affected by the rotting carcass.

"Normally we advertise whales to get people to come, where the restaurant is right on the beach and we often have whales in the cove frolicking about, but we don't want a dead whale as an attraction," Jenny Parsons, who owns Seaside Restaurant in Trout River, told CBC News.

Using a local longline fishing boat to tow the whale carcass out to sea has been ruled out by local authorities.

"I'm not willing to take on the responsibility," clerk Butler told The Telegram."If that whale does explode, we don't know what danger that would be to our infrastructure, the longliner itself, or to people."

The costs and logistics of moving the whale carcass have stalled the removal process, with local government saying the financial cost and safety risks are too great, and Canadian authorities placing the burden of moving the carcass on the town.

Another blue whale carcass recently washed ashore in nearby Rocky Harbour. Both towns are located near Gros Morne National Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Serf posted:

Vahlen is the best character in the game because she's a scary scientist with loose morals who probably does legitimately terrifying things to those aliens in X-Ray Gitmo or whatever. I mean, none of them ever seem to live through her interrogation process and she seems very eager for more live captures. Too eager. The fact that her only reaction to conducting terrible torture and most likely live vivisection on the aliens is an enthusiastic rundown of her results is scary and hilarious. Scalarious.

I want to hear Vahlen say "And their. . ethical inflexibility. . has allowed us to make progress in areas they refuse to consider!"

• Locked thread