Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Can anyone confirm if the armor colour tweak is still working? For reference you're supposed to paste

[XComStrategyGame.XGCustomizeUI]
bArmorDecoAvailable=true
bArmorTintAvailable=true

in Documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Config\XComGame.ini

Used to work for me, but no longer :(

EDIT: Nevermind, it works if you also paste the above into steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Config\DefaultGame.ini

The Sweetling fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

Laksa posted:

Does this only work with a new game?
Edit:Tried it,doesnt work.

Not sure if this is necessary, but try also copying steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\DLC\PCConsole\DLC_PackIn\Config\XComStrategyGame.int to the other config directory in documents. I can confirm this definitely works with an existing game.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Does Implassic require a reinstall/restart post-patch?

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

SeaTard posted:

It will almost certainly require a new version.

Aw poo poo, I was hoping to get some X-com in tonight. Guess I'll go read a book or something GOD

Edit: Actually, the current version 08 installed OK.

The Sweetling fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 26, 2014

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

TheSpiritFox posted:

loving hell, I was going to make it wait on update install until new versions of stuff came out. Now it's updating and reverting everything to standard install.

I turned off Auto Updates, I guess I should have played offline too...

I can't find actual detailed patch notes anywhere. Anyone know where they might be?

Ga1Friday (2k Forums) posted:

XCOM: Enemy Within Upcoming Update Notes
Hello everyone,

A patch for XCOM: Enemy Within will be available soon. Below you will find patch notes for both the console and PC versions of the game.
These updates are estimated to be available sometime this week.

Patch Notes:

PC and Console
Balance changes to mimetic skin
The Foundry project Pistol I has been applied to Laser and Plasma Pistols
Additional MP Balance changes to unit costs in the loadout screen
Fix for a hang when close combat triggers while affected by neural damping
Ironman save turning in to an autosave when spamming save/exit

PC Only
Pause button to strategy and tactical game
Bug Fix for the Edison Achievement not unlocking when researching all techs
Add hunkerdown to the key bindings page
Allowing XEW to unlock second wave options based on steam achievements a user has
Addition of Touch controls to the game*
*Additional Notes Regarding Touch Support
Touch support can be enabled through the options menu. For full functionality, it is recommended to use this option with a multi-touch display. All features may not be available with single-touch displays. If this feature is enabled without a touch display the game may become unresponsive. This option can be disabled at any time with or without using a touch display through the options menu.

Text editing support is limited to Keyboard only.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Is the current Long War 9a release stable? The OP recommends 7 but there's no link to it in xcomnexus.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

Long War 9a is very stable, actually, and you only need to make 2 hex edits (one right away and the other when you get really far into the game), which is just a simple matter of copy and pasting. I wouldn't hold my breath for a 'stable' release as the way Long War releases tend to go is that they put out a new iteration, tons of new poo poo is in the game, a couple glaring bugs are found, a hotfix is released in a couple days, and then it'll be radio silence for however long it takes for the next version to be done.

You'd probably be better off familiarizing yourself with 9a so that when 10 comes out you won't have to grapple with every feature the mod adds, just what that patch adds/changes. Also for how bullshit Long War can be at times, it's really fun and it's hard to go back to vanilla now.

Thanks for the info. Where can I find the hex edits?

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Also regarding bugs in LW: the engineer perk that grants double grenades doesn't work.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

MrBims posted:

I regularly send out Engis with 4 HE grenade in b12. What version are you using?

b12 with the modified .upk that fixes the armor issue. I'm running a b9 campaign, though.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Hmm Ok I'll have to verify. If not, just scrap the campaign I guess.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

Dr. Carwash posted:

Is there any way to enable/disable Second Wave Options after you've started a campaign?

I think so, check the options.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
I'd give 1000 internet points to whoever patches the rocketeer's aim upward. They're essentially useless, even with carbines and scopes. I have never seen a shot with less than 2 tiles scatter. In addition to a 50% chance of blowing your own dudes up.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

Not a Step posted:

When I first started my B10 campaign I was all set to use default values on mostly everything. Then I saw how workshop bonuses work now and later found out that they don't apply to foundry projects or base buildings, so Ive pushed all alien corpse resources up by about 50%. I would guess Ive made about 20-30 more elerium/alloys a month since floaters started regularly showing up with that change. Cyberdiscs are beginning to show up more than once a week, so I may have to reassess if pushing their yields up makes sense. I also nudged the recoverable elerium by 10% from the default 0-30% to 10-30% (MAX_LOST_WRECKED_ELERIUM=1 to .9) because I found it frustrating to potentially get no elerium at all from a wreck. That grants me at least 1.5 elerium from a small UFO (1 power source at 15 elerium), and at most 6 elerium from a large wreck (4 power sources) over a potential 0. I also tweaked UFO_PS_SURVIVE and UFO_NAV_SURVIVE to 20.

In the air war, I decreased re-arm times to 48 hours. I know the week long rearm is there so you can shuffle your best weapons from interceptors being repaired to fresh ones, but I dont do that to begin with and I hate the fact that it takes two weeks to manufacture a weapon and then another week to attach it. Decreasing repair times makes the air war almost too easy, although when I was rolling with 336 hours (14 days, down from 25) I still regularly had my fleet out for a week at a time trying to take down destroyers. I've since changed it to 450 hours (18.75 days max, down by a quarter) but increased the cost of interceptors to 250 (up by a quarter) each (ItemBalance_Normal=(eItem=eItem_Interceptor, iCash=250, etc). I hate micromagement and I think this is a happy medium between making repair times too easy and buying a poo poo ton of interceptors so I can shuffle injured ones between continents.

For ground units, I modded up the standard soldier aim (iType=eChar_Soldier) to 70 and aim minimum (LOW_AIM=55) to 60 and set the price per rookie to 15 (SOLDIER_COST=10->15. I changed all three difficulty entries). My soldiers are better shots on average, with aim between 60 and 80, but they have lower will, and buying a mass of them to fish for a rare 80 aim is more expensive. In practice, I don't fish and consider a 75+ aim who doesnt have garbage other stats (11 move, 20 will, etc) a diamond in the rough. Building an entire squad of 75+ base aim soldiers would require a *lot* of luck or a *lot* of fishing, simply because you need so many soldiers in Long War. I made this change because I found it very hard to resist save scum rerolling new troops looking for gems, so instead I made it where at least no one would outright suck and be fired on the spot. One caveat, I tried once to have a narrower range for aim by using standard 70 and minimum 65, to generate totals between 65 and 75. The die roller used to determine stats didnt like that and consistently generated aim between 65 and 70, almost never over, so be careful on making the ranges for aim too narrow. Oh, and past June I decided to set the XP required for the first promotion to 10. Any rookie I bring on a mission is guaranteed a level up if they survive. Finally I changed NUM_MEDALOFHONOR_MISSIONS=5 to 3 in the other main mod ini, XComGameData. Now officers only need 3 missions to be promoted to the next rank. I lost some officers in a mission and wasn't looking forward to 15 missions with 4 days in between to replace them. 9 missions seemed much more sensible.

I also modded the BASE_DAYS_INJURED=1320 (55 days) down a bit to 960 (40 days). I'm a giant weenie, but I'm also trying to break the habit of savescumming. 40 days is long enough to need a deep roster but not so long that it feels like I'll never see that soldier in action again. I'm not 100% certain this is right, but I think the next line, "RAND_DAYS_INJURED=2745; xxyy, where x and y control how days/research alters max injury timeout, d by x / (Days + y)" lowers the max injury timer in the early game (where 'days', which I think is time elapsed, is small) and gradually increases it as 'days' grows. On the very first mission of the game, where 'days' would be 0, the modifier would be 27/(0+45), which is 0.6. I *think* that means the max days injury number gets multiplied by (1-.6=.4 for 1320*.4=528=22 days) max in the hospital. As days increase 27/(days+45) gets smaller, meaning more of the max penalty gets used. The upshot is, the longer the game goes, the longer your guys will spend in the hospital for a wound, up to the max. I didn't touch that number, but if you want a consistent injury time throughout the game rather than a slow ramp up set xx to 01 (0147 for example).

The only weapon I tweaked was the HE grenade by increasing its environmental damage up 50% to make it a usable tool against low cover by non-sappers. I wish I could mod it back to a consistent 3 damage weapon as well, but I don't think I can with what I'm given.

I also changed "MaxActiveAIUnits=80; Classic" to 90 (its a % multiplier to alien research, so ordinarily you're facing aliens who advance at 80% max speed on classic. my change puts them to 90% max speed on classic, same as brutal).

Thats a long list, but thats basically it. I play on classic, but with brutal research aliens and a bit of a resource boost from higher recovery amounts. My soldiers have slightly better base aim at the expense of slightly worse will, which I'm sure I'll regret later, and I'm a bit of a weenie about injury timers. I like a lot of what JL and Ameneri are doing, but I have my own preferences for balance and I like that I have the ability to change them. I just wish I could directly mod weapon damage ranges and Id be pretty much happy. With this set up I feel I have more flexibility to skip missions if I dont have the troops on hand without getting behind, and honestly I just hate the long grind they seem to want Long War to be. I want to see advancement and growth and maybe actually finish a campaign, so Ive nudged up a lot of values relating to how quickly both XCOM and the aliens advance.

Would you be kind enough to host your modified .ini somewhere?

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

ArchangeI posted:

At minimum, an EXALT mission should undo any effects EXALT inflicted before you disrupted their cell. Getting 150 bux for taking out a cell that stole 300 from you is just bullshit, I'm sorry.

You can increase the reward to 500 spacebux or something more worthwhile in the ini. I forget the exact variable name, will post when I get home.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
How do you equip grenades for an Archer mec?

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Hmmm the scarcity of Alloys in LW is really, really frustrating. Is there a good save game editor floating around? I poked around for Toolboks but couldn't find a working link.

Edit: Nevermind, I went into XComGameCore and turned the alloy cost waaaay down.

The Sweetling fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 19, 2014

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

Lord Yod posted:

Played a mission like this earlier and it's stupid fun.

Am I missing something or are LMG's nearly useless? They need, like, 5 more tiles of squadsight range every time I want to use one.

I prefer SAW version since it lets you move into range + shoot. The stationary one is kind of meh, although it's useful for holding the fort when a pod appears out of nowhere.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Just go into your .ini file and change scatter to 0.0 seriously it's not worth the heartache.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Which variable determines the intel scan cost in xcomegamecore.ini?

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

The Sweetling posted:

Which variable determines the intel scan cost in xcomegamecore.ini?

Found it myself coz I'm the best:

m_iExaltSweepBaseCost=50 in xcomgamedata.ini

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

IMO, in my modded LW (which is kind of geared at being I/I with so much help it's I/C--which replicates my favorite level of difficulty in HC diablo 3; Torment 4), the gene mods just have to have their cost cut way down across the board. I basically treat it like 'what's the total cost to chop someone for a mec suit; keeping in mind you can chop 12 guys and rotate them through 3 suits for 100% up time'.

So in my mind that's 1 Meld for eyes, 2 for brains, 3 for chest, 2 for skin, and 3 for legs. 10 for a full soldier. Keeping in mind that by the time you put all that poo poo in them, all you get is
a) someone marginally less likely to die
b) someone marginally easier to heal
c) if a psychic tries to hurt them, the psychic gets hurt back or they can't break, or the 3rd thing which I forget
d) a free minor aim gadget slot

Jumpy legs don't mean what they do in vanilla. They're as likely to screw you as save you (that is, if you're like me, and you always always think 'oh hey, I can jump up there, I'll bet there's no aliens that can see me, and it would be fun!'), though their flexibility for an assault or medic is pretty impressive. Still, all told, given the disadvantages, cost in time, and the fact that it *could* be a MEC with jump boots, anyway, the discount doesn't amount to a game breaking advantage.

If full invisible squad was still a thing, then that'd be different.

I've never tried the auto-destealth skin, because I think it's dumb.

Can you link your modified config files?

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Just set rocket scatter to 0.0 ya mooks, otherwise it's an absolutely pointless nerf that renders rocketeers mostly useless.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Is it a good idea to skip pulse lasers and go directly for Plasma?

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Dope! Thank you

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Do MECs inherit the base movement value of the soldier?

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Is there a list of the new .ini variables floating around?

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
If anyone is interested, here's a link to my modified DefaultGameCore.ini that scales back a lot of poor decisions made around balancing. I don't recall everything changed, but primarily:

• Reduced recruit cost
  • Halved injury, fatigue, and interceptor repair time
  • Increased minimum aim and movement for recruits. (Fewer 61 aim and 12 movement recruits)
  • Reverted MEC stats to those of 14i
  • Increased flamethrower damage back to 6
  • Reduced Exalt health to 3 or 4.
  • Will loss on critical injury reduced to 1
  • Reduced PSI XP necessary for level up.
  • Reduced PSI training time
  • Increased PSI training success chance.

http://pastebin.com/L74vNM7z

The Sweetling fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 18, 2015

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

fargom posted:

It looks like this makes everyone 15 movement and 67 aim, this is without strict screening. It appears to shift all of the random rolls to health/will/defense, my test run produced every soldier with between -2 and -5 defense.

You're right. I lowered LOW_MOBILITY and LOW_AIM and updated the link. I just really hate low mobility soldiers, they're pure useless. On a good roll with Nigeria's bonus you can get 16 movement, which is dope.

http://pastebin.com/L74vNM7z

The Sweetling fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

THanks for the advice. One more question - someone mentioned that you could turn off the new repairing-equipment feature in the .ini. Can anyone remember how?

CB_AIRANDSPACE_BONUS=0

• Locked thread