Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Vib Rib posted:

Had a friend make this for the idea.

Good ol' Weaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Michaellaneous posted:

So I will start my classic xcom EW run soon. Does anyone want into the squad? Name and Nickname would be appreciated.

At the moment the only guy who will be fix is Soylent " Beagle" Green.

Steve "Riot" Haus

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Speedball posted:

I don't doubt that they would rather die than be captured, I just wanna know how they can keep their arm straight long enough to stab themselves.

I've seen what the XCOM people do to captives, I wouldn't want to be taken alive either.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

MrBims posted:

I didn't think about it before, but would anyone be up for a succession game on beta 14? It sounds to me like a good way to show off the various loadout and perk strategies we talk about, in a way that is preserved and evidenced. And Long War should be perfect, since it is hard to completely screw up one mission in a way that would stop the game from being beatable.

I don't want to do it, but I want to watch.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Any idea when LW will be out of beta and what that'll even mean?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Deuce posted:

If I overwatch for like 20 turns straight and nobody appears, I'll move on.
How do you get meld, doing that?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm still chewing through Xenonauts, but after I finish my first round of that, if B14 is out, I'll give Long War a go.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm finally trying Long War and on April 11, 2015, I just got my first rear end-kicking. Never before have I so thoroughly been sent home with my tail between my legs.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I just realized this is probably a bug and not a feature. The counter that shows how many turns you have remaining before the Meld container pops? It isn't appearing now that I've installed Long War. Is that supposed to happen?

^^^
edit: Okay, at least nothing's broken.

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 6, 2014

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
You know what would be fantastic? If you could abort a terror mission after rescuing some civilians without the civs spontaneously combusting as soon as you lift off.

I was not equipped for that many chryssalids.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Dominic White posted:

Ha, I'm just imagining this XCom squad landing, saving this terrified civilian from a Floater and telling them they're safe now.

And then they spot the Chrysalids, turn on the spot and just fly off, shouting "GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!" out the window to a very unhappy looking civ.

The first three chrysalids I could cope with. The subsequent four... I didn't bring enough grenades, basically.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Is there any listing of Long War weapons etc for interceptors?
edit: yes there is

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 7, 2014

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
So I'm encountering a game-ending bug: time is no longer passing.

Specifically, as I type this, I am watching my hologlobe spin. The globe is spinning, the date and time are progressing, and the Council Report is creeping closer and closer... but nothing else on queue is moving at all. Satellite uplink, Access Lift, Sawed Off Shotgun, etc, are all remaining static. The council report has come and gone twice now,

This bug persisted after I saved and reloaded, and it persisted after I quit the game and loaded up again. Let's see if it persists after I restart the computer.

Yep! It does. gently caress. Uninstall, reinstall...

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 8, 2014

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Oh man. So much for sleep tonight!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Three survivors left: Awo, Partizan, and Mikey. Also, Beagle's morale has broken and he is hunkering down.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Majestic.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
AlexD should be immediately hacked in to a base class and upgraded to MECworthiness, yes.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I need to cheat - I have to start researching the alien capture device but it's been a month or so since I saw any sectoids. How can I cheat some sectoid corpses in to my inventory, and cheat some other corpses out while I'm at it?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

THS posted:

http://www.cheatengine.org/

If you have a Sectoid corpse you can use this to modify values. It doesn't always work but it's your best bet.

Thanks, let's see if I can make this happen.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Thanks for all the help. My sectoid troubles are over!

Edit: Unrelated topic. I noticed the standard shotgun holds 6 shots, while the scatter laser holds 3 - rather than kit out my assaults with hi-cap mags, I've been giving them shotguns with dep-elerium. Is anyone else doing this?

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 15, 2014

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I haven't modified things at all, and I'm doing okay. I haven't hit any of the insane endgame content yet, though.

I'm gonna confess - I didn't have to do any of the cheats I asked for help with. Right after I posted my thank you I booted up Long War and it spat a scout full of sectoids at me, as if in mockery.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Rebuilding a destroyed shiv costs half as much... but it takes four times as long. What the heck.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Has anyone here ever, ever taken Legio Patria Nostra instead of Stay Frosty for a Lieutenant? I'm thinking about tinkering around with the .ini to move Stay Frosty to the automatic officer power and put Lead By Example next to Legio Patria Nostra.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I want XCOM 2 to have an MMO-style face customizer for the soldiers so I can make them look properly like my friends.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
This is all the better reason to have fully developed face customization for our soldiers.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Until I can have Pamela Poovey as an XCOM agent I won't be satisfied.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
On that many drugs, the least of your hallucinations will be seeing Macho Man Randy Savage coming for you with murder in his eyes and a slimjim in his teeth.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
How to make the base defense even more crazy and even more bullshit:
1: Add transmitters
2: Bradford is the covert operative and can trigger the transmitters
3: If Bradford dies you lose

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Michaellaneous posted:

Are you kidding? Bradford would singe-handedly kill every single alien with a ballistic pistol.

The real question is what perks do we give him beyond Gunslinger

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
:xcom:

Seriously, get back in the dropship and go.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
So how do you get your own dudes to develop stronger Will? Does it boil down to 'don't play with Strict Screening and keep a few rookies with really high Will stats and poo poo aim and health alive'?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Zore posted:

Train them as psychics ASAP. Having psychic powers gives an average of 4 more points per level up in will.
Oh well that sounds pretty-

Zore posted:

This is not retroactive and getting critical wounds fucks their will over forever. Game design :sparkles:
-horseshit, that sounds pretty horseshit.

Wait a second, so the one unit who can share the benefits of a high will (officers) is wholly unable to actually GET it?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
If you complain that the game is too hard, and you are not playing on the easiest difficulty setting, a solution presents itself.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I just had my first landed transport mission. I waded through the first two pods in a frantic scramble - six chryssalids, then six EXALT elites.

Then I popped open one of the Meld canisters and saw it had nine meld.

That's when the four berserkers, six drones, six seekers, the cyberdisc, the mechtoid, and the elite muton showed up.

So, fun times.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Deuce posted:

I regret to inform you that XCOM will not be responding to your request for assistance. Have a nice day.

I did the same thing to France. Viva La Resistance.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Long War Exalt stole 436 dollars and put me 426 dollars in debt. The moral of the story is, intel scan. They made the mistake of doing this while I knew where they lived, however.

Tonight, 12 rocketeers burn down Exalt's house.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Tollymain posted:

Fun fact, with an all-SHIV team you can easily score an average of like 2 EXALT kills per turn for the entire mission (in EW)

Basically they're the most incredibly efficient little mechanical murder machines :kimchi:

I want to try a Long War run where you start with 10 soldiers, hiring new ones costs a hundred simoleons, and shivs are all ten times cheaper. The prospect of an all-SHIV army with minor human backup intrigues me.

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 29, 2014

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Deuce posted:

Yeah, I always scan twice a month. Fun fact, you can savescum the exalt penalty. I reloaded a save once because I realized I clicked scan without setting new research. The first time they stole money, the second time they raised panic.

Not that I would do this intentionally. Exalt is bullshit on the tactical level, not strategic.

I would have savescummed, but it would have lost me hours of time, and frankly I enjoy being so mad at them. It'll make it more fun when I knock down their house.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
So you know how, in the Exalt base, there's that last pod of Exalts hanging out behind the picture window in the main room?

Coming at them from above with two engineers and two Smoke and Mirrors scouts with Chem Grenades is very, very satisfying. Even then, they nearly killed one of my assaults. But only nearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Okay, you know that Long War bug where:

The Wiki posted:

Geoscape rarely becomes semi-frozen after missions (clock doesn't roll for item construction, Skyranger does not return from mission site). (Similarly: Scan for Activity will roll forward one minute then freeze with no event notice. Exiting and re-entering the Geoscape shows a country had made a resource request but the window saying as much was not being shown.)
When that happens, how do you un-gently caress it? It happens every time I finish a specific mission. It actually seems to start BEFORE I finish that mission - I notice that after I reload my autosaves or manual saves near the end of the mission, I am unable to save again thereafter. 'Saving is not allowed at this time.'

I'm hoping one of you guys has been here before because I seriously have 80 hours in this game and an hour in this specific mission and I don't want to load before it and redo it.

edit: If there IS no fix, I'd like to know that now so I can begin the mourning process.

edit2: There is no workaround! JohnnyLump has verified as much. Alas.

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 1, 2014

• Locked thread