Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Oh man I just beat the game for the first time:

My squad busts into the final room revealing the two elites and three ethereals. In the opening turn I'm able to wipe out the two elites but all my shots against the ethereals either graze or straight miss. gently caress. This is bad. They respond by mind controlling my heavy and my assault. Ok this isn't so bad I guess I still have my psych-nope. He's mind controlled too. Well this is really bad. All I have left is my sniper, Col. 'Zed' chilling in the back.

My turn: He shrugs his shoulders and blasts the leader between the eyes. I win the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah I was flying blind on purpose. I'm lucky I got through it alive.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
A friend of mine decided I wasn't stressed enough in life and convinced me to pick up LW. It's been fun so far and on my third attempt I seem to have a handle on things. Only question is I was wondering if there's a rough timeline of where I should be at which months somewhere? I've only lost a few countries to panic and I seem to be doing well in the research/foundry game but I just want to make sure before the game decides to sucker-punch me out of the blue.

edit: It's about mid-August now and I've got

-North America, South America, Africa mostly covered with satellites and laser interceptors defending them.
-8 man squads and an alloy SHIV that I rotate in if I feel like it's needed
-Lasers for everyone
-Phoenix armor or phalanx, I forget its name. The first upgraded armor that's +1 HP and less heavy
-Several live interrogations completed
-Gene / PSI labs up
-Still haven't made the skeleton key. I'm thinking I really need to start working on this but I'm scared of what a base assault in LW will look like

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 16, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

trucutru posted:

You want MECs and some better armor for base assaults (and the super-skyranger upgrade). In my first one (october?) I found nothing but heavy floater and muton packs. They can be really, really tough.

Right now I am doing yet another base assault in February of the second year to get some precious alloys. I go down with my Goliath/Archer/Pathfinder AAA team (the best combination of MECs IMO) and my best troops with plenty of healing, grenades, and all the good stuff. I start by moving left a little bit with the Goliath and *blam* psy-lance to the roboface! An ethereal with four heavy floaters and two elite mutons. So I set up my squad in the bowling-pins configuration, waste the Ethereal, panic a couple of floaters, set up a mine and ghost. They all die in the next turn and I only need to heal the Goliath. Still, dealing with an ethereal pack using only three consumables is pretty drat good. Hopefully the rest of the base won't be as tough. At least you can hear 'lids, which are Pathfinder fodder.

Do the alien bases tech-up based on how far the game has gotten or am I going to be in for a world of pain no matter how early I assault the base? Either way if first assault can be held off until October I've got time to do more tech'ing up

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So, fun fact about that dam mission I was ranting about yesterday: if you leave some snipers behind in the first tower, then when you hit the second spawn point (that drops a Muton on top of a truck, among other things), the first squad of 3 Sectoids and a Mechtoid will respawn!

I also left a Mechtoid alive at the end of the mission and just made a mad dash for the objective. During the ensuing cutscene, you can see the Mechtoid in the background, standing around and patiently waiting for its turn.

Clearly, nothing but the best quality control for this game expansion.

Ha this exact same thing *just* happened to me last night. Was about 1 sprint away from my chewed-up team reaching the truck and it drops two mutons, two mechtoids, and a swarm of sectoids right on top of me. Decided to throw a hail mary and had my scout sprint to the finish line hoping the game would bug out and end the mission. It did :sweatdrop:

The resulting cut scene brought me back to the GoldenEye 64 days where you could gently caress around with the cutscenes with different cheats and proximity mines. Good stuff

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Necc0 posted:

Ha this exact same thing *just* happened to me last night. Was about 1 sprint away from my chewed-up team reaching the truck and it drops two mutons, two mechtoids, and a swarm of sectoids right on top of me. Decided to throw a hail mary and had my scout sprint to the finish line hoping the game would bug out and end the mission. It did :sweatdrop:

The resulting cut scene brought me back to the GoldenEye 64 days where you could gently caress around with the cutscenes with different cheats and proximity mines. Good stuff

Actually this just reminded me of another hilarious bug I encountered in one of the EXALT extraction missions: Managed to have my undercover retrieve the data while my team held the extraction point fairly well. I get my undercover extracted and was getting ready to gently caress off the next turn when suddenly EXALT decides it's gonna crank it to 11 and picks off my entire squad in a single turn. However, all of them were simply bleeding out rather than outright killed. So the game, seeing that there was nothing I could do, then just ended the mission and all of my men were recovered, somehow. Gravely wounded, but alive.

:shepface:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sober posted:

Not JL's vision of LW and all that, but to make a Jaeger worth taking IMO would be akin to making an Archer appealing to bring, which is akin to making a Sniper an appealing pick. You have to make a good MEC secondary weapon like a proper shoulder-mounted precision railgun or something. Obviously that's not doable given how modding XCOM works, so that's out of the question, but there should be some actual long range single target DPT from a Jaeger that the other MECs can't provide, and, well, there's nothing like that. The only other solution would be the scale down ALL the MEC primary weapons and then scale them up for DPS MEC classes through perks and keep them lacklustre for support-style MECs to keep them from being able to do more than maybe off-dps.

Not to mention that limited squadsight LEU can already be taken by a properly specced Valkyrie, there goes a Jaeger's niche (even if we count that a Valkyrie is likely to go RF). Other than stat gains and the lack of more than 1 or 2 tanking perks in its tree, there's way too much overlap and nothing really unique about the Jaeger perk tree.

Maybe give it some sort of re-useable battle scanner launcher? That plus a squadsight railgun would be pretty fun.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Hopeford posted:

I've now reached the pinnacle of playing xcom. This is what a snow day causes a man to make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r992SB5XNfM

I'm so unreasonably proud of myself :allears:

No action shots??

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

dyzzy posted:

In other news, EXALT is still dumb

Their half of the room being completely devastated and blown out ala Looney Toons is a nice touch.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

oswald ownenstein posted:

Ok, I was really stunned by the demand, but I'm happy to help. Here's the changelog:

* Interceptor max repair time reduced by 33% rounded up
    * Soldier max hospital time reduced by 33% rounded up
    * Successful psi training if soldier will = target psi rank will increased from 50% to 70%
    * Training time for Psi reduced to 6 days from 8 days
    * Hours of fatigue per officer level reduced to 6 from 12
    * Will loss when soldier is critically wounded lowered to 2 from 15
    * Gauss weapon tech has 1.00 DP up from .33
    * Arc thrower chance has been increased by roughly 33%; Expect a ~70% chance to stun at 1 health, and 50-60% at 3 health
    * Interceptor re-arm time reduced to 5 days - for alien weapons only
    * Reduced terror mission panic per civilian killed by 50% - you will still eat a lot of panic if all the civilians are killed, and full panic if the mission fails, but this way saving 8 civilians actually makes a big dent in the amount of panic reduction you get - instead of trying your rear end off and playing risky only to get a big fat panic increase anyway. This one was done because terror missions right now are frankly just stupid and there is often very little you can do to save civilians without playing like an idiot
    * Reduced Officer rank training cost by 20%. This was done because officers are rather weak compared to the other enhancement options, which are mutually exclusive with those options.
    * Significantly reduced fatigue time added by gene mods by about 50%.
    * Significantly reduced meld cost for gene mods by roughly 20%. They are probably still too expensive in some cases given the meld shortages you'll run into, but it's better than vanilla LW
    * Reduced days in tank required for gene mods by about 20%
    * Reduced psi training duration by about 20%
    * Reduced rookie cost to 20 from 25

That's it. Some of those sound heavy handed, like the repair/heal time nerfs, but like I said - in October I had a guy out for 41 days from a critical wound. Interceptors can still be out for a very long time as well but you're a little less likely to end up with the extremely stupid 'whole fleet is out for a month because I got bad RNG on a scout'.

Most of the bullshit is still bullshit, but slightly less so. I didn't touch EXALT, and I was very tempted to reduce the flying cover bonus by 5 because -30 is really rough and part of what makes heavy floaters so dumb late game, but I didn't.

Also, it has some of my default settings for soldier colors, so feel free to tweak that to your own liking.

You can get it here

This is from a while back but any chance you could re-host this file?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'm still running b14 and the game has gotten incredibly unstable all of a sudden. I haven't modified the .ini in a long time and I've tried restarting my computer. Are there any known fixes for this or is xcom just broken?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Deuce posted:

Xcom isn't any more stable or less stable today than it was yesterday. Odds are something on your end is different.

I was just wondering if there were any settings with LW that were notorious for creating instability. If it helps any it almost always happens at or very soon after an auto-save

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Are you steadying weapon before you launch long war?

You don't just *play* this mod. You need to plan ahead and look for good memory addresses for it to write to. Plan for it to crash. The game crashes on first launch just to set up the fact that you're going to need to restart steam and relaunch xcom in order to get past the first year.

If you don't intercept enough of the alien destroyers on electronic warfare missions, the incidence of crashes will increase. You usually have a chance before the 3rd week to forestall a crash if you save a satellite launch and time it while the destroyer is being intercepted..

Next expansion pack to have an 'insanity meter' ala Eternal Darkness confirmed

Not a Step posted:

If youre having lock ups after auto-saves then run Steam in offline mode. That is a new-ish thing, no idea what triggers it, but offline mode seems to solve it.

This fixed it, thanks. That's a pretty strange bug

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah that should be an achievement

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Walton Simons posted:

Any tips for dealing with more than one Outsider in LW? Just reloaded a turn which is a bit lovely of me but I can't face a squad wipe after a 75 minute crashed Raider mission.

Pro-tip : Shoot the Outsider until he dies.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'm well into the second year of my first Long War playthrough. I've shot down the Overseer and the game has gotten pretty boring. I have a ton of MSGTs soldiers & MECs as well as a few almost ranked up psychics. I have three firestorms across the globe shooting down almost everything the aliens throw at me as well as a host of plasma weapons and good armor. The game isn't really fun anymore and it seems like I'm just grinding away for elerium to build my last few things items & waiting for another ethereal to show up to interrogate. Does anything else happen from this point on that will make it worth finishing because it's gotten pretty routine and boring at this point. b14 by the way

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
It also fires in a super wide AOE arc. So yeah you're doing less damage on any single target but if you've got 5 targets in the cone the punch starts to look puny. Oh and the panic is good too.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Robzilla posted:

Welp, I haven't touched my Long War game in over a month, I come back to it, start it up to continue my campaign, and it crashed to desktop.

Worked just fine last time I played it, unless windows updates hosed with something otherwise it looks like I'm reinstalling fresh. :ughh:

It's a lot more stable if you put steam in offline mode for some reason. Try that first.

In other news I finally beat xcom. I was only on normal difficulty but I still feel like that was an accomplishment. On the one hand the last third is a pretty tough grind but I kind of liked how you were in a war of attrition of sorts. Sure you could largely handle any mission they threw at you but one gently caress up meant you were losing a high-ranked officer and good luck training another rookie up at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Robzilla posted:

Tried this, didn't work.
Restarted several times, I'm able to load the game, no matter what I do after a few minutes whenever I click on something is CTDs

I didn't realize until you quoted this that I didn't specify that I finally beat LONG WAR- not just XCOM. Sort of a big difference :v:

• Locked thread