Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I must be a loving idiot cause I can't get the Long War to install correctly. I follow all the steps but when I try to boot it up from steam in offline mode it either crashes, says servers are too busy to handle my request, or says the app is already running.

I've tried installing it like 4 times now, including 2 completely fresh installs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm playing the Long War and I'm getting my rear end kicked. I came into the first terror mission with a handful of squaddies using mostly default equipment, which led to a very quick and painful team wipe. Leads me to believe I probably didn't manage my assets correctly in the beginning.

Anyone care to share their Long War strategy over the first two/three months?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I just installed the long war mod and what the gently caress? I only get one shot per magazine? And maps have like twice the number of aliens?

That means you installed it wrong.

Cosmic Afro posted:

What is more puzzling, however, is that unless they've added Infiltrator ships again in this mod from the original game, but an abduction and UFO shot down mission later, Japan retreated from the XCOM project.

At 1 Panic. With a Sattelite over it. I'm based in Asia.

Now, I've read that's because they have an Alien base over there, now, if I read the MOD documentation right, but that still strikes me as kind of wholly /too/ random. Argentina and Nigeria are the ones at 4 panic, after all. It may be because of that Large UFo that I had to allow let go, more due to the fact I couldn't SCRATCH the fucker, mind you now that I think about it. Still.

One country randomly pulls out early in the game in order to unlock base assault missions or something. The first time it happened I flipped out cause I had just completed a very difficult mission in Mexico who promptly left the XCOM project immediately afterwards. I went to the mod page to complain but turns out it just chooses a country at random to leave a specific date.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

After abandoning 5 different Long War games I'm starting to think I'm just not good enough at this game to be playing with this mod on. Even on Normal I just can't keep my guys alive long enough to stand a chance once I get to like month 3.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

animatorZed posted:

Should have been this :)

Off topic, but what the gently caress is going on here?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Long Warrrrr :argh:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Kalko posted:

Yeah Long War is mostly good. The changes they made to alien movement often lead to really intense battles where just as you're finishing off one pack of aliens the next one shows up and you fight at the limit of what you can handle for the entire mission, but then just as often you wake four packs of five Mutons and Berserkers right at the start and you realize there's no clever new battle AI - it's just random. I save scum the more egregious instances of that but I've mostly been able to work around it, accepting any result that isn't an instant mission wipe.

The increased hospital time and tiredness mechanic works pretty well as long as you understand it from the start and immediately plan for at least three rotating squads. I played my first game through to September to get a handle on the changes and now I'm up to November in my new game. The second time around I was starved for alloys for a couple of months longer than the first so I wasn't able to field Carapace or Skeleton as soon as I researched them, and as a result I had noticeably more multiple-KIA missions (and more hospital stays) during that period. I like that you're extremely cash-limited early on as it forces you to make difficult choices about what items to buy, but that disappears around six months in and the much greater limiting factor becomes alloys and especially weapon fragments.

The increased game length and the variance of enemy types in the missions are the best parts about the mod. The way the difficulty ramps up (on Normal) feels really finely tuned, but again it's probably just random. I'm enjoying the balance between regular missions where you take a mix of vets and rookies, and the large UFO landings where you want your A-team; both types can be difficult and the pure cakewalks of vanilla are rarer. I don't like the new interceptor game, I know you're not expected to be able to shoot down the larger UFOs but the effort it takes to even down a single medium UFO is too much. I didn't want to buy the incredibly expensive fighter upgrade project but Firestorms are so crazy expensive in materials that I'll probably have to. One thing I overlooked is how the alien base attacks work; you now have to launch satellites over lost countries to access the base mission and make the Skeleton Key available to build. I'll be doing my first base mission in late November and I hope it rewards a huge amount of alloys and elerium because I only have two Titan Armors and no Archangel yet, and I'm facing down Heavy Floater packs (along with the massively spongy Berserkers).

Regarding those Cyberdisks, I was sure when I first encountered them that my lasers were doing the full 5-6 damage, but now every hit is more like 2 or 3 and they don't appear to have any damage reduction ability in the overview. I guess it just doesn't show up, like with SHIVs (which are better in this mod but still not worth the investment).

I kinda hosed myself in my Long War game because I started by getting full satellite coverage in Europe, only to discover that the third workshop and satellite uplink require 30 engineers. I haven't gotten any Engineers as rewards from missions and I don't get any at the end of each month because Europe, so I'm stuck. I finally managed to get a single satellite up in Asia so I guess I'll have to survive like 10 months to build more workshops and engineers.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

UberJumper posted:

What is the consesus on the Long War mod?

http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/88//

Looking back the complaints seemed that the mod was rather unfair. Is that still true?

If you're bored with vanilla its worth a shot, but there is quite a few of bullshit moments where like two cyberdisks and 12 thin men roll up on your team all at once or whatever.

I house-rule that I can restart any mission once if it goes south, but I take the second result. This mitigates some of the nonsense but I've still lost 30+ soldiers and I'm probably only halfway through the campaign.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

UberJumper posted:

Do the base assault missions actually work?

Alright i'll give it a shot, any tips or suggestions for starting? Yeah i also used the same kind of restart rule, i gave up on playing iron man a long long time ago.

Always be bringing in fresh troops. Your guys are tired for 5 days after running a mission, and if you use them again during that time they become exhausted and you can't use them again for a month. So you'll want at least 3-4 teams worth of guys to rotate between.

Also, make sure you launch some satellites on continents that give out engineers as bonsues otherwise you can get stuck without enough engineers to build the buildings you need to get you more engineers.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Flython posted:

Having a good time with Long War on normal. Just finished the first council mission with 2 dead due to a poorly placed battle scanner and a misclick but I'm not too torn up about it. The thing is I've got a large UFO sighting that I can't seem to shoot down with a full six interceptors. How many missiles do I need to hit it with and can I even take on what's in there?

You mostly gotta ignore bigger UFO's in the beginning, you don't have the firepower to shoot em down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

It's random.
You just got :xcom:'d

Actually in Long War you only get cash for abductions. To get scientists and engineers you need to get them from the monthly council report, build labs/workshops, or complete council missions.

• Locked thread