Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

Nothing reduces satellite costs except more engineers, sadly. Still, North America is one of the two really solid starts I'd recommend for most people on higher difficulties. The other is Asia.

Why Asia over Africa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
But that 30-50 bucks is another potential satellite, at a time when having lots of satellites is a big deal. It just seems like an odd tradeoff, especially when you could use that satellite in securing Asia for the bonus.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Coylter posted:

What is the point of being able to make multiple save game if you can't get away from lovely RNG? Isn't it basically just letting people save/load but using a sneaky programming trick to make sure you can't really change the outcome.

I mean wouldn't it be simpler to not let you reload at all and just antosave in real time. At least you wouldn't be under the illusion that the save / load function serves a purpose. Am i missing something?

You can change the outcome of a given shot, but you have to perform your actions differently if you want the outcome to change. For instance, let's say I have an assault, a heavy, and a sniper all shooting at a Muton. First, I save my game, and then I fire with the sniper, and it hits and does damage. Then, I fire with the heavy, who misses, followed by the assault, who also misses. Now I'm out of shots, but I really wanted the Muton dead, so I reload. If I do everything in the same order as above, I will get the same outcome, guaranteed. So instead, I decide I'll fire with the heavy first, and it hits. Then I fire with the sniper, which also hits and kills the Muton, leaving the assault free to do something else, or maybe it ends the mission or whatever. In any event, by simply changing the firing order, I've changed the outcome to something more favourable than the original sequence of events.

Basically, to savescum in this game, you save, try something, and if it doesn't work, you reload and try something else.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

If I capture a outsider alien early (Before I interrogate my first alien) Will that break the game at all or screw something up?

No, but you still have to interrogate a regular alien anyways as far as I'm aware. Yes, it's weird like that.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chami posted:

It actually looks a hell of a lot better than the shooter "reboot", but that really isn't a hard bar to clear. The video shows someone getting incapacitated and revived, but the interview says that they have permadeath.

Video here.

This actually looks a lot more exciting than what we had, what, 2 years ago? It seems 2K is dedicated to making this an actual good game this time around.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Has the expansion changed the early basebuilding game at all, or am I still going to be rushing satellite coverage? Just wondering what to do with my money/space early game.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Brotato Broth posted:

I bet they advertise the "augmentation" part of the deal heavily without ever mentioning the part where they diminish you in a literal sense. :smith:

Their promotional materials are lifted entirely from Deus Ex. It's just still shots of JC Denton and Adam Jensen looking awesome.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

Yes. Losing a SHIV can cause your guys to panic.

:gonk: "Oh no, GOLIATH-2! He was my best friend!"

If you don't feel anything when JOHNNY-5 bites it, you're terrible. :colbert:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played this game since EW came out. What's the standard start now? Or does it not matter anymore? I wanna get to chopping off limbs and turning my dudes into mutants as quickly and efficiently as possible.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it just the Geoscape though, or is there a Battlescape map that you can do missions on as well?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You know, with all the talk in the State of Games thread about megathreads, I'm wondering if it's time to make a new thread, or at least update the OP? I mean, we've had the Slingshot DLC and an expansion come out since this thread was posted and it's barely spoken of in the OP, and all anyone ever talks about anymore is Long War, which could use a detailed explanation on all the things it does, or it might even require its own thread. People have posted gameplay tips and strategies in the thread before, but most of it's gotten lost in the sea of posts. And then there's community stuff like Jade Star's LP or Beaglerush's stream/videos that should be linked to, maybe a link to the OpenXCOM thread if folks want to try out the original but don't want to go through the effort of getting a DOS game to run.

I haven't played the game a whole lot, or posted much in the thread, and part of it's because I haven't really wanted to poo poo up the thread with rookie-level questions about vanilla EW while everyone's been talking about what may as well be a different game, so I'm curious what other people think of this.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

It's not like there's anything more going on with the base game, and it is not difficult to specify vanilla for the few times you need to reference it. I personally don't see the point really.

I agree, but I still think a new thread/OP would be good, if for no other reason than to cover everything that's happened since October 2012 and have a more detailed breakdown of Long War. There's not even any talk of MECs/Gene Mods in the OP, and they were major features of the expansion.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Verviticus posted:

also stuff like "...and base attacks do not happen" is a bit odd

Technically true though, in the plural sense (unless you're playing Long War). :v:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tzarnal posted:

Have your friends make themselves, import them and the get them horribly killed.

The collective Goon character pool is going to be a sight to behold, I'm sure. :allears:

I'm hoping they release a demo soon. I want to set up my character pool for launch day.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Infinity Gaia posted:

If the game was balanced for Beagle it'd be impossible for pretty much everyone else.

Definitely possible. On the other hand: https://a.pomf.cat/qtrafq.webm

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

Lmao if you aren't going going to write stuff like "THIS DUMB MOTHERFUCKER COULDN'T MAKE AN 80% SHOT, DO NOT BE LIKE HIM" on every memorial.

Ranger Jenkins: Tried to shake hands with a Muton Berserker. I didn't think a human body could be shaken apart like that. Learn something new every mission!

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Superstring posted:

I can't remember the last time I saw '1337' typed out.

Probably sometime in the '90s. Clearly he's been thrown forward in time 20 years and doesn't understand our strange future ways.

I want a mod that adds a dog to the Avenger that just roams the ship being friendly and doing dog things. Soldiers that pet it get a morale boost that ups their stats for their next mission.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

The more I watch of this sequel the less I want to play my EW campaign :(

Not me! I've decided that I should beat EW before XCOM 2 drops...

...then I got Bomb Disposal as my first council mission. The game doesn't want me to succeed, I think. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

It's going to be really funny because basically 3/4 of the mission types revealed for XCOM 2 are going to be just as time pressured as bomb disposals.

At least I'm confident that ADVENT Troopers aren't going to be able to one-shot my troops from across the map.

Then again... :xcom:

• Locked thread