Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Belzac posted:

Luckily for all I once tried to foolishly break through Sony's DRM and get the JP demo on my NA account, so I have a backed up copy on my PC. The demo is 1104 MB. I'm not sure if the Vita is like the PS3 but you normally need twice the space of the application in order to download and install anything.

You won't need double the space for Vita games. :) The Vita will check if there is enough free space for the game or demo before downloading it. If there is, it will take up whatever free space is needs for the download, then installs it without needing any more extra memory card space. You'll only need extra space if an update file is downloaded along with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What is the buzz on this game in Japan? I want to know if it's the new monster hunter or if it was just a promising idea that isn't too great. I want to be excited.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

redreader posted:

What is the buzz on this game in Japan? I want to know if it's the new monster hunter or if it was just a promising idea that isn't too great. I want to be excited.

I can't say for sure but it got great scores (what doesn't) on release and bumped up the sales of the Vita in Japan to above the 3DS. The western importers who have bought it generally complain that there are cheesy strats that work on some bosses but everything is very positive.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The one misgiving I have is that I'm not a huge fan of the "throbbing mounds of twisted flesh" aesthetic. Is it as omnipresent as some of the trailers make it look?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The Moon Monster posted:

The one misgiving I have is that I'm not a huge fan of the "throbbing mounds of twisted flesh" aesthetic. Is it as omnipresent as some of the trailers make it look?

It's hard to know what you exactly mean by this but the game is pretty grotesque. Not all of the monsters are that bad (Jack for example is just a flaming stone elemental looking thing) but the game is pretty graphic. At any time you can look away from Librom and look around your prison cell which is full of rotting flesh, human waste, and cockroaches. It's a horribly twisted world but it's still a video game. I never wretched at the sight of anything.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Belzac posted:

It's hard to know what you exactly mean by this but the game is pretty grotesque. Not all of the monsters are that bad (Jack for example is just a flaming stone elemental looking thing) but the game is pretty graphic. At any time you can look away from Librom and look around your prison cell which is full of rotting flesh, human waste, and cockroaches. It's a horribly twisted world but it's still a video game. I never wretched at the sight of anything.

I don't mean it makes me ill or anything, I just don't like it. I guess the demo is coming out tomorrow so we'll see.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I updated the OP with a space for Goon PSN tags for the demo. If people want to jump on the "I'm playing this demo here's my tag" bandwagon early. Also added some more info about the NA and EU demo release.

For those who aren't aware of the PSN store updates, there is no set time when this will come out tomorrow. The folks over at SCEA (not sure about EU) have a very vague time frame of when a store update should go up. I generally notice it goes up anywhere from 12 pm to 6 pm (PST). Sometimes if you're a dedicated poopsocker you can get the content a bit earlier by manually searching for the content over and over. If anyone gets the demo early just post that it's up so we can all jump on it.

Also, multiplayer is not unlocked from the start. You'll have to play through most if not all of the prologue chapter to the main game to unlock the "Extra" missions. These are the missions that you can do with NPCs or other players.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, it's usually late in the evening on Tuesday. So, those of us who have jobs...go to work and stop worrying about trying to download it at midnight, I guess.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Belzac posted:

I dunno dude, that sounds like stuff in Demon's/Dark Souls.

And it just makes me want this game even MORE

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
This game looks metal as hell! ( Gotta love it ) :black101:

Demo comes out tomorrow? drat, my Vita doesnt come in for a few days. Though i will be playing the crap out of it when i get it.

This game looks like the perfect blend of Phantom Dust, Monster Hunter, and like gothic fantasy art.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
To confirm, you will have to do all 6 of the Nimyue prologue missions before Multiplayer unlocks. This gives a good taste of what the story mode is like (loving awesome), and will be a good way to get a handle on how the game works mechanically.

quote:

Having played the game till about the third or fourth chapter, I'd say the game has an extremely brutal dark fantasy aesthetic and the twisting of flesh and bone is quite common. While the Souls series definitely has its dark and brooding atmosphere, this is more violent and hosed up in its depictions. The story itself is also pretty tragic/dark, so be prepared for a pretty depressing and oftentimes twisted kind of art style. Depending on how you are too, you may feel terrible about sacrificing certain bosses at the end. I felt like a dick a few times. I love the hell out of the art style personally and it was one of the reasons I splurged on the SS Vita bundle, though I'm a sucker for all things Dark Fantasy and I can definitely see some people being pretty put off by the game's brutal take on things.

The game itself is really great though. Some boss fights are butt clenchingly intense and the pace of the fights are extremely quick.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Belzac posted:

The western importers who have bought it generally complain that there are cheesy strats that work on some bosses but everything is very positive.

It completely dropped off my radar after everyone I talked to playing it confirmed that golems were ridiculous. It was a beautiful game and played really well but (like monhun) if you're going to be grinding forever then you want your play to be more varied than standing behind a golem and nuking. Creating the farming efficiency to increase your future farming efficiency is the draw. You could always intentionally gimp yourself, but then you're basically saying "I want this to feel like even more of a painful grind".

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
SCEA double confirmed that the demo is indeed coming out today and that it'll feature just as much as the Japanese demo did. This includes an exclusive offering, the Spirits’ Heart, that can only be obtained by playing the demo and transferring progress over to the main game. Can't wait.

Source is here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/04/16/soul-sacrifice-demo-out-today-saves-transfer-to-full-game/

Belzac fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 16, 2013

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
It this skills-based like demon's souls/bayonetta or is it rpg-style, where your stats matter more than your reflexes? I know in demons/dark souls and bayonetta, you can grind for better stuff... but actual player skill is the most important thing, unlike (for instance) a traditional JRPG where it's stats-based and tactical thinking. Where does this fall in the spectrum?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Waiting anxiously for this demo

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

redreader posted:

It this skills-based like demon's souls/bayonetta or is it rpg-style, where your stats matter more than your reflexes? I know in demons/dark souls and bayonetta, you can grind for better stuff... but actual player skill is the most important thing, unlike (for instance) a traditional JRPG where it's stats-based and tactical thinking. Where does this fall in the spectrum?

I would say it's a bit of a combination of both where you can substitute a lack of one by being really good at the other but ultimately you'll need to be strong in both to overcome the hardest challenges. There are "levels" in this game but they only affect 2 stats: damage and life. Then there are the spells themselves which you can build up, getting duplicate copies and combining to make higher ranks. Finally there are seals which are how you focus your character to the playstyle you've chosen. So you leveled neutrally (half life, half damage), got some strong melee spells, and put on seals that improve your melee damage. Hey, that's a nice kitted out character but if you're bad you're probably gonna get stomped by the bosses. Damage is very high in this game, so much so that most people seem to play glass cannons cause the difference from a 1 hit kill to a 2 hit kill are pretty minimal. Just don't get hit and lay on that damage.

TLDR: I'd say it's closer to the Souls series than a traditional JRPG but has elements of both.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 16, 2013

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Belzac posted:

I would say it's a bit of a combination of both where you can substitute a lack of one by being really good at the other but ultimately you'll need to be strong in both to overcome the hardest challenges. There are "levels" in this game but they only affect 2 stats: damage and life. Then there are the spells themselves which you can build up getting duplicate copies and combining to make higher ranks. Finally there are seals which are how you focus your character to the playstyle you've built up. So you leveled neutrally (half life, half damage), got some strong melee skills, and put on seals that improve your melee damage. Hey, that's a nice kitted out character but if you're bad you're probably gonna get stomped by the bosses. Damage is very high in this game, so much so that most people seem to play glass cannons cause the difference from a 1 hit kill to a 2 hit kill are pretty minimal. Just don't get hit and lay on that damage.

TLDR: I'd say it's closer to the Souls series than a traditional JRPG but has elements of both.

SOLD gently caress YES. Thanks for that. I found some import review which told you about the spells/monsters/etc but absolutely nothing about the gameplay.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Speaking of glass cannons, there is actually a seal that reduces your life to 1 but gives you crazy damage. The game encourages that high skill type of play but you can play much more conservative (and/or synergistic if you're with a party) and accomplish the same goals. There are many viable strategies.

One strategy I've been thinking of is having one character play the all out damage guy with the 1 hp seal and powerful nukes while another plays entirely passively, only getting heals and Sands of Time, which freezes a boss in place at the cost of constantly draining the users health.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think we should get a friends list going. I want to roll with some people and tackle all the content in this game. I know I'll be up for playing lots of Soul Sacrifice in the evenings.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Could I get this for the PS3 or is it Vita only?

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Could I get this for the PS3 or is it Vita only?

It's Vita only.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Please add me (silkhorn on psn) to the OP friends list. I'm in NA and I'll be playing the demo, and almost certainly buying the game on day 1

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Oh we do have a friend's list thing. You should bold it, make it stand out a little more and add IneffiableFx to it.

I'll be getting it day one and be on often during evenings.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I have a list in the OP but we could also do a shared document.

What do you think of this? Example SS Friends List

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

redreader posted:

I'd say probably the closest thing I could compare the combat to would be a faster-paced, more action-y Dragon's Dogma (which I really liked). Particularly in the way that different spells have such very different mechanics and controls. Some use a simple lock on but need to be charged, there's lobbed projectile attacks that need to be aimed, one that locks onto multiple parts at once (similar to the Dragon's Dogma magic archer skills) fast melee weapons, big, slow melee attacks/combos, active shields, and so on.

Theres elemental weaknesses, weak/breakable bodyparts, and you can do combos like building up a bunch of freezing attacks until the boss is frozen solid for a few seconds, then shattering him using lightning skills, things like that.

It's similar to Dark Souls/Monster Hunter-style games in that the boss fights tend to be long and you have a limited ability to heal so there is definitely an emphasis on avoiding damage. Offensive skills also have limited charges, but there's usually smaller monsters that come out periodically during longer boss fights that you can kill/sacrifice to recharge them. So there's also that sort of tactical element where it's important not to waste your skills.

I've only played the Japanese demo so I can't comment on the endgame, but it definitely seems like the kind of game that you can beat with poo poo gear and a lot of skill/patience, but there's also plenty of RPGish grinding you can do to make it easier.

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 16, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Belzac posted:

I have a list in the OP but we could also do a shared document.

What do you think of this? Example SS Friends List

That's not too bad, but I don't know if we need anything more than just a simple list in the OP.

Remember, the Vita population is pretty tiny and the number of goons who want Soul Sacrifice is even smaller. It's possible there could only be 15-20 of us for a few weeks.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I've decided that both are fine solutions. If you want to put your name in the longer list, go for it. I'll take that data and put you in the short list. If you just want to be on the short list I'll toss you on there as normal.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Put me on both lists. If you can, put down that I play evening times, EST.

Is there a way to be like a healer in this game? I might play more supportive builds if I have lots of teams to go with.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
I'd like to be on the OP list, and I'll add myself to the excel sheet once it's up.

PSN is Dawnfire. I'm usually free most evenings, and sometimes a lot during the afternoon depending on the day.

Edit: Just saw the new OP list. My PSN region is West Coast? Assuming I understand the designation.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 16, 2013

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Ineffiable posted:

Put me on both lists. If you can, put down that I play evening times, EST.

Is there a way to be like a healer in this game? I might play more supportive builds if I have lots of teams to go with.

In the demo there are three healing spells. A direct heal, a heal over time that heals more than the direct heal, and an AoE channeled heal that heals about as much as the HoT but needs the user to stand still for the duration of the spell, but can heal up to 4 times that of the HoT due to it affecting everyone in the area. It's not perfect but you can fill the role of the healer. There are other spells that only work with the cooperation of other players so a support role is perfectly doable if you plan to play with others. Solo you might find yourself in a bit of trouble.

Edit: The spread spread sheet is now in the OP and available here.

In addition to what I just said about support roles there is also support for having multiple loadouts. I think you can have up to 20 pre-saved spell/seal combos that you can switch to before starting a mission. So don't feel like you can't play support cause you'd gimp your solo character. You can do both. You'll be getting a ton of spells you might not want right now but you can take all the chaff you collect and make off builds with them to try around with.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 16, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sorry for another gameplay related question (at work).

Is it possible to roll in different styles? So I could have a loadout for support with other people, and if I play by myself, have a loadout for soloing?

This seems possible with just equipment stuff but I don't know if the character levelup and stats might be a major hinderance in doing something like this.

edit: I swear to god your edit wasn't there when I made this! nevermind, I think question answered.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Ineffiable posted:

Sorry for another gameplay related question (at work).

Is it possible to roll in different styles? So I could have a loadout for support with other people, and if I play by myself, have a loadout for soloing?

This seems possible with just equipment stuff but I don't know if the character levelup and stats might be a major hinderance in doing something like this.

edit: I swear to god your edit wasn't there when I made this! nevermind, I think question answered.

Yep answered above but level up is a bit more of a challenge. You can down level yourself and then work your way back up, choosing a different stat but this is potentially expensive (costs tears to level down) and time consuming. Levels tie into seals where for example you might have a seal that does +4 Arm type damage but if you're a Devil Rank 2 arm (from having a certain ration of Magic to Life) then it adds an additional +4. You can still use the seal and get its base value but if you hyper specialize your character, you'll reap greater rewards. I believe any spell can be used by any level/arm type so even if you switch out to a support role though you've built your levels to be all damage you'll probably still do a fairly decent job.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
Hey Soul Sacrifice dudes. We have a pretty rockin' IRC channel you can join to discuss the game or set up some jolly cooperation with other Soul Sacrificers. Server is irc.synirc.net and the room is #vita.

e: Can this go in the OP?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Hey Soul Sacrifice dudes. We have a pretty rockin' IRC channel you can join to discuss the game or set up some jolly cooperation with other Soul Sacrificers. Server is irc.synirc.net and the room is #vita.

e: Can this go in the OP?

I'll be off work soon and downloading the demo. See you in the chat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is the demo still not up or do I just suck at navigating PSN?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The Moon Monster posted:

Is the demo still not up or do I just suck at navigating PSN?

The demo is still not up, SCEA has no set time when their updates go up.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007
Add me to the list of crazy spine sword wielding bros. PSN is Lavastine, and I'm on evenings and weekends PST.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
Where is the demo :(?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Aloofa posted:

Where is the demo :(?

Seriously, the game is 2 weeks from loving release why is it taking so long for a demo to be dropped :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Emalde posted:

Seriously, the game is 2 weeks from loving release why is it taking so long for a demo to be dropped :psyduck:

Reminder that the JP demo dropped 2 months before the game was released there.

• Locked thread