Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Belzac posted:

It actually is available in the demo but you have to hit the max level of 20 first. After that you can lower for a price.

I'm 8/12 and I can't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoktorSandvich
May 15, 2011
Is there a way to change your pose in multiplayer?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Seems to be random as far as I can tell, unless its linked to something weird.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Agnostalgia posted:

I'm 8/12 and I can't use it.

You have to exit Librom and he'll tell you about it and unlock it. It's available in the "Right Arm" menu. Costs a hefty amount of tears per level.

DoktorSandvich posted:

Is there a way to change your pose in multiplayer?

It's based on what slot and gender you are. 3rd slot male is the best pose.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

^burtle posted:

Hit me up at burtology!

Reporting in now for Multiplay

DoktorSandvich
May 15, 2011
Just finished playing with a group trying to kill the Cerberus. Right at the end, I die, and ask to be sacrificed, hoping it'll kill him. As the bone spears jut out of me, he does his move where he takes out his spear and jams it on the ground right on top of me. I'm thinking it looks cool as gently caress. The cinematic happens and he falls, my bones killed him, it's done!

No, my partners couldn't dodge the spear blasts, and fell. We failed the mission as the Cerberus died. :negative:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Accidentally fused all my shields... fuuuuuck.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What determines when extra arm-glyphs unlock (for viewing, if not for use?)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What are you supposed to do when your weapons/magic break?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

^burtle posted:

Second single player mission can be easily farmed for many more shields.

Speedball posted:

What determines when extra arm-glyphs unlock (for viewing, if not for use?)

Very weird conditions that are not at all obvious. This was written for the JP demo but most of the info here is good.

http://www.gamespot.com/soul-sacrifice/forum/soul-sacrifice-info-compilation-demo-version-65081226/

Start at the 4th post for Sigils.

Partial Octopus posted:

What are you supposed to do when your weapons/magic break?

Well ideally you'd never have them break. Sacrificing (not saving) enemies will recharge 1-3 casts of all your spells. Going into Mind's Eye you can spot bright white areas, going up to those and holding X will recharge twice what a Sacrifice would do. If all else fails you should boldly sacrifice yourself.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

^burtle posted:

What does this mean?

How do I unlock the good spells? I jumped into my first MP lobby and they wanted to do the Cerberus (which I've not even seen yet), but they all had much better spells than me so I bailed out due to shame and humiliation.

Edit: What are these things I keep picking up off the ground?

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 19, 2013

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
To make other spells and improve your current ones, you need to 'fuse' them in the customisation screen for your character. If you farm say 16 ice shields, you can fuse two together to create a 1 star shield, which only increases the amount of charges it has for use. You can continue to improve it by fusing it some more with the same spell at the same rank (so two 1 star ice shields will make a 2 star shield, etc). This goes all the way up to 3 stars, and when you fuse two 3 star shields together you get a tier 2 variant of the spell, with increased stats all round. With the Ice tree root spell (don't know the name in English, the one that fires ice at things), damage on a tier 1 variant is 30. At tier 2 it's about 70.

Seems confusing and I'm terrible at explaining things, but once you play with it you'll get the idea. I believe the max tier is 4.

As for making new spells, there's a spell creation menu you can go to in the customisation menu. It shows you what kind of spells you can create assuming you have the necessary items to fuse together.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah I've got a few spells up to 2 stars already. I don't understand why fusing all your shields in this way would be a bad thing? Unless it's something different.

I can't wait to get back in tonight and give this game another bash.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Apart from maybe needing them to create all new spells, fuse them together all you want, it's beneficial. ALso you can have multiple spells of the same type in different slots on your loadout, which is handy if you know a certain bosses weakness and can spam the poo poo out of the spells without having to recharge so soon.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Really loving this game. After soloing most of G rank in monster hunter 3u, this is a nice pace change. All the actual grinding seems to come from battles instead of gathering and battles. I like that.

I just hope the actual game is just as meaty as the demo makes it seem.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If I refight a boss and choose to do the opposite of what I did last time (it says it overwrites) does that mean I'll lose the companion gained from it?

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Yes, though that can always be reversed again. Sacrificing a boss can give you an exclusive spell that you only get when sacrificing, though that's kept indefinitely and if you want your AI partner back, just save them when replaying the mission again.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.
No one mentioned this on the last page so I want to say that a funny and cool way to avoid the Haryp's suck attack is to use the spell you get from Jack O Lantern that turns you into a giant rolling ball of fire. She can't suck you up like that and charging her as a fireball interrupts her. On the other hand, letting her go all Kirby on your friends gives you time to whale on her...

Does anyone know where to get the Irondrake Egg required to fuse the stone golem spell? I am at a loss but I saw a dude using the golem online so it must be in the demo.

DoktorSandvich
May 15, 2011

Schach posted:

No one mentioned this on the last page so I want to say that a funny and cool way to avoid the Haryp's suck attack is to use the spell you get from Jack O Lantern that turns you into a giant rolling ball of fire. She can't suck you up like that and charging her as a fireball interrupts her. On the other hand, letting her go all Kirby on your friends gives you time to whale on her...

Does anyone know where to get the Irondrake Egg required to fuse the stone golem spell? I am at a loss but I saw a dude using the golem online so it must be in the demo.

You can get it at chapter 4, just some foul beasts, so it's really easy to get. On it's own it's actually a really good weapon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Schach posted:

I just wish you could get more than two rolls from a single cast. And grinding for more copies of the spell is kind of annoying.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

AlternateNu posted:

I just wish you could get more than two rolls from a single cast. And grinding for more copies of the spell is kind of annoying.

If you don't like grinding, I'd say hunting games aren't for you. That's kinda of the point.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Norns posted:

If you don't like grinding, I'd say hunting games aren't for you. That's kinda of the point.

Oh, I know. I play the Disgaea games, so trust me. I'm not all that adverse to grinding. That doesn't mean it still isn't annoying.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

You can smash the roaches in your cell :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I can see myself grinding missions just to get higher tiers of the same magic. It looks like they get a nice damage boost one it reaches a new one plus you keep getting more charges after each level in that tier.

e- I guess thats where the majority of the grinding will come from :v:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Top tier Cerberus kill:

Serious players only.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
This mission repeat way of grinding isn't so interesting, but I'm willing to put in the time if it means I can grind out multiplayer bosses for better stuff later on. It's still a very appealing game so far, definitely going to pick it up on release. Most likely it'll be purchasable over the store right? I like having my games on the system.

e: Oddly enough even my brother is intrigued. What do you think about them making the game a cross play title for PS3? They seem pretty willing to do that with a lot of other games, but I imagine they'd want to keep it Vita only to help encourage sales.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 20, 2013

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Nearly beat Cerberus i think i just need to farm out a few for Sacrifices and get a good team setup.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Can anyone explain how Martyr rewards work?

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Leyburn posted:

Can anyone explain how Martyr rewards work?

As far as I understand someone needs to be sacrificed, not entirely sure though whether that has to be a player or if a boss will suffice.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Has to be a player.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Using your Black Rite will also entitle you to a martyr reward.

Reive
May 21, 2009

My only question, do monsters have an insane amount of HP that makes single player feel like rear end ala monster hunter?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Does the demo get any better? I want to love this game but I'm so put off that I'm having trouble. The first thing the demo did was throw me into a fight with a npc against some leviathan thing, I spent the entire time confused about what was going on and not understanding what the game wanted me to do as I swung a extremely clunky camera around.

Then I played a few missions where a NPC just killed everything for me practically and just... I don't know, the game feels like it should be exciting and grand but it comes off as this really confused mess to me. I want to love it, but something isn't sitting well with me.

Seriously; when I played the demo I found myself going "Am I doing this right?" more then "Oh man this awesome!" and that worries me.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 20, 2013

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Just started playing the demo, and all I can really say is this game is freaking cool.

I've tried to get into the Monster Hunter games (Mostly the PSP ones) because the premise of fighting really big boss type things sounds really cool, but in practice I just didn't have the patience to sit around for half an hour chasing down the bastards only for them to run off again.
Also, I like to have a bit of story in my games, and so far Soul Sacrifice's one is well presented.

At this point it's looking like a definite buy. Helps that various Sony reward schemes should more or less cover the cost.
Here's hoping this one becomes a real system seller.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Reive posted:

My only question, do monsters have an insane amount of HP that makes single player feel like rear end ala monster hunter?

Taking down monsters here feels a whole lot faster than in MH because you dont have to chase them around the map. Im usually clearing simple missions in 2-10 minutes where it would take me 15-40 minutes to run a mission in MH.

e- Not to mention the amount of prep work you'd do between missions. Going to the farm, pig, eating, managing your inventory to make sure you have the items you need for field crafting.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Does the demo get any better? I want to love this game but I'm so put off that I'm having trouble. The first thing the demo did was throw me into a fight with a npc against some leviathan thing, I spent the entire time confused about what was going on and not understanding what the game wanted me to do as I swung a extremely clunky camera around.

Then I played a few missions where a NPC just killed everything for me practically and just... I don't know, the game feels like it should be exciting and grand but it comes off as this really confused mess to me. I want to love it, but something isn't sitting well with me.

Seriously; when I played the demo I found myself going "Am I doing this right?" more then "Oh man this awesome!" and that worries me.

The first mission is supposed to be chaotic and you aren't supposed to know poo poo about the game. Most of the first chapter is like that because its basically a prologue. Things should start to click when you fight the bosses. Just remember that the core combat of the game is that of a hunting game where you cant just rush things without waiting for the enemy to expose itself a little or you'll be constantly taking damage.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 20, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Reive posted:

I don't know for sure, but it seems the bosses in the story missions don't have nearly as much HP as their free quest versions.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Using the charged version of a homing spell still only uses one cast, right?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Multiplayer seems to be where this game shines, had a room with me and a few other dudes and I was the only one to survive Jack-o-Lantern. I revived everyone once and healed up and started sacrificing partners that fell a second time. One guy quit out the second he realized I was sacrificing him so kinda bummed he ruined a cool finishing blow.

The fight went on and my other two partners died and I didn't get a chance to sacrifice them, the rest of the dual between me and Jack I had messages popping up on the side going "You can do it!" etc and it made me kicking it's rear end left and right feel really really good despite the boss being shamefully easy.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I hope the amount of people who ragequit the second they get sacrificed winds down in the main game, because that poo poo has ruined multiple Cerberus attempts for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hope the amount of people who ragequit the second they get sacrificed winds down in the main game, because that poo poo has ruined multiple Cerberus attempts for me.

Yeah. I don't get that. You still get mad bonuses if you get sac'd. And considering how many tear drops you get just fighting the bosses over and over again (drat this 100 drop limit :argh:), it shouldn't cost too much to get yourself back in the fray.

• Locked thread