Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. I don't get that. You still get mad bonuses if you get sac'd. And considering how many tear drops you get just fighting the bosses over and over again (drat this 100 drop limit :argh:), it shouldn't cost too much to get yourself back in the fray.

Whoa wait what, I can revive myself with lacrima? How?

As far as I could tell, lacrima were only useful for curing myself of black rite damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Funny thing. The book insists they're not tears, but I looked up "lacrima" and that's just a fancy, technical term for tears.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Conot posted:

As far as I could tell, lacrima were only useful for curing myself of black rite damage

This is kind of like being half-dead because if you go in to a fight with a broken black rite, the penalty for it being used carries over into every fight until you repair it.

Speedball posted:

Funny thing. The book insists they're not tears, but I looked up "lacrima" and that's just a fancy, technical term for tears.

:thejoke:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 20, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hope the amount of people who ragequit the second they get sacrificed winds down in the main game, because that poo poo has ruined multiple Cerberus attempts for me.

Yeah what the gently caress? you get a bunch of points and you can debuff the boss.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DrManiac posted:

Yeah what the gently caress? you get a bunch of points and you can debuff the boss.

Going in blind it probably sounds like you're totally getting hosed and you may as well leave. "Man I'm getting killed off by this rear end in a top hat and I won't get anything! gently caress this!"

It's one of the glaring flaws to me going forward though. There's literally no incentive to stay alive, I don't get why you wouldn't just team up with a friend and near the end of the fight bite it just to get a reward. People who die get more rewards then those who survive, it just sounds like a bad idea.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Going in blind it probably sounds like you're totally getting hosed and you may as well leave. "Man I'm getting killed off by this rear end in a top hat and I won't get anything! gently caress this!"

It's one of the glaring flaws to me going forward though. There's literally no incentive to stay alive, I don't get why you wouldn't just team up with a friend and near the end of the fight bite it just to get a reward. People who die get more rewards then those who survive, it just sounds like a bad idea.

That's not true. The sacrificer and the sacrifice are both rewarded with a martyr drops. In addition the sacrificer get the bosses soul which in some cases can be as important as all the other rewards combined.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I found out the hard way why you shouldn't let cat monsters live for too long :gonk:

That and if they eat enough dead bodies (I think enemies count too) they eventually get big enough to use a suction attack like the harpy.
vvvvv

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 20, 2013

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

DrManiac posted:

I found out the hard way why you shouldn't let cat monsters live for too long :gonk:

You mean the whole "eat dead party members so they can't come back" thing, or do they have more tricks up their sleeves?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man the demo for this totally sold me on the game. I was not expecting it to look so good and have such a great atmosphere/music.

Getting it for sure but meanwhile I'll die to Cerberus a million times.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Belzac posted:

That's not true. The sacrificer and the sacrifice are both rewarded with a martyr drops. In addition the sacrificer get the bosses soul which in some cases can be as important as all the other rewards combined.

Oh huh, didn't know. I just watched a few videos talking about it and sounded super lopsided.

Agnostalgia posted:

You mean the whole "eat dead party members so they can't come back" thing, or do they have more tricks up their sleeves?

Wait what? :stare:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man the demo for this totally sold me on the game. I was not expecting it to look so good and have such a great atmosphere/music.

Getting it for sure but meanwhile I'll die to Cerberus a million times.

I beat cerberus on my 2nd try! :eng101:

Quick Join stuck my level 6/6 dude in a group with a 1/19, a 4/16 and a 14/6 :eng99:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh huh, didn't know. I just watched a few videos talking about it and sounded super lopsided.

Wait what? :stare:

if you're lying around dead waiting to be rezzed, the monsters can eat your corpse, thus forcing you into ghost mode and making them stronger.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Annath posted:

if you're lying around dead waiting to be rezzed, the monsters can eat your corpse, thus forcing you into ghost mode and making them stronger.

Specifically Orcs and Ghouls can do this. It doesn't have to be dying players either. They can eat the bodies of other monsters. After eating 2 or 3 corpses the Orcs get massive and get the Harpy's vacuum attack. I once had an Orc pull us all into Cerberus's lighting breath.

Anthrovore posted:

Using the charged version of a homing spell still only uses one cast, right?

Yes it does though charging only increases the range of the spell, not the damage. I'm going to do some testing in a bit.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Lesson time!

Determining the Quality of a Soul

A feature I figure most people are unaware of in the demo are SE (soul essence) and LE (life essence) qualities. When a monster/boss/player is sacrificed or saved then the player who did the act is given that creature's SE for a sacrifice or their LE for a save. These items are directly used to create new sigils. The trick is that there are higher quality version such as SE+ and LE+. Originally in the JP demo I thought the whole system was completely random but boy was I wrong.

Let's take a look at this series of 5 pictures:

In each photo I'm choosing to save or sacrifice a downed Goblin, but each Goblin has a different message that is displayed when I'm standing close to them. From left to right they are: Divine, Good, Dying, Evil, Berserk. These messages are a clue to what kind of essence I can obtain if I save or sacrifice.

Berserk and Evil have a higher chance to drop SE+ and SE++ while Divine and Good have a higher chance to drop LE+ and ++. I believe that Divine has a higher chance to drop the increased quality than Good and the same applies to Berserk and Evil. Dying is the base value and will not give a higher quality essence no matter what choice is made. When a sacrifice/save is made then you can see the essence leave the body of the creature and travel to your player. You can tell if you got an increased quality just by how it shines in the air.

Be warned though that the essence will shine even if you made the incorrect choice (ie. if it was a Berserk soul and you save it the LE might still shine as it flies towards you but it will never be an LE+).

Another interesting features it that the quality of the soul affects the experience gain you get for saving/sacrificing.

In this example, Goblins are worth a base of 4 experience. But if you find an uncommon soul then it will add 50% more experience to the correct choice as well as causing you to lose 50% of the opposite alignment. I'm not sure if this applies to bosses or players but it might be worth testing.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Just wondering for whenever i manage to beat Cerberus but does anything else unlock after i've cleared all the tasks?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Smornstein posted:

Just wondering for whenever i manage to beat Cerberus but does anything else unlock after i've cleared all the tasks?

Nope. I've beaten Cerberus three times online and got nothing new unlocked.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Is there a level cap in the full game?
As far as I understand, in the demo you can get no more than a total of 20 in Life+Magic.

How viable is it to go 50/50?
You'd lose out on some seals but wouldn't it be the most balanced choice?

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
The max level is 100, though this is as a whole, so if you had 40 holy, you can have a max of 60 devil. Basically if you want to go full devil or holy you have to go 1/99.

50/50 is fine, though for the most part on the JP version most people including myself have gone heavy devil builds because of the dmg output, which tends to be more important than holy use. There's honestly not enough incentive to go full holy or invest a lot in it I feel, though using it in a co-op game as a heavy support role for healing is quite helpful, but one can argue that the extra damage from someone who is devil specc'd is more useful.

That being said people are still finding creative ways to play and the devs have nerfed some stuff that made it super easy to smash bosses (like the stun looping that used to be possible). So I'm sure holy's viability will go up over time (if I recall someone created a build for Holy which relied on Blood Magic, so you can spam to your hearts content using your health as the charge, but heal up and get your health back really quickly anyway.). I guess it really depends on the state of the game when the game is released in US, as the patches are pretty frequent right now and change up a lot.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I've found the new overpowered build. It has no flaws and destroys everything in the game.

Emalde approved too.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Belzac posted:

I've found the new overpowered build. It has no flaws and destroys everything in the game.

dem balls

Emalde approved too.

Do you know how much the attack bonus from your arm modifies the base damage?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Starting to understand the ragequits on Cerberus when some dude sacs two teammates when the thing still has like 80% life left.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

^burtle posted:

Starting to understand the ragequits on Cerberus when some dude sacs two teammates when the thing still has like 80% life left.

Cerberus is definitely one of those bosses that requires proper planning from all four players. Shields are a big help in the fight as they knock him down when he does his charge attack, and his lightning breath is a perfect opportunity to group up and heal the team.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
How survivable is going full devil?
It doesn't sound like lot of fun if you go down in a single hit.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Are the movement skills any good? I fused up the feather one that gives you teleport dashes and it's really useful but the duration is pretty short and you can't re-apply it if you're in the middle of using a weapon.

I feel like a ninja applying it then using the ice sword though.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Are the movement skills any good? I fused up the feather one that gives you teleport dashes and it's really useful but the duration is pretty short and you can't re-apply it if you're in the middle of using a weapon.

I'm going to guess that the teleport dash has more iframes and is probably fairly useful on some aoe spammy bosses?

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

scissorman posted:

How survivable is going full devil?
It doesn't sound like lot of fun if you go down in a single hit.

You rarely go down in a hit. There are some bosses later on that hit really hard, but most of the time it's 2-3 big hits rather than an instagib. It's definitely a fragile path to go, but it's not impossible.

quote:

There are some bosses in the full game where movement spells can be a real life saver. So in the right situation, they are extremely useful. Also they let you fuse new spells.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8epCz8D2yY

Looks handy to me

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So can all quests be played online in the full game or only the big boss monsters? I haven't gotten up to a quest in the demo that offers online yet.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Fancy Hat! posted:

So can all quests be played online in the full game or only the big boss monsters? I haven't gotten up to a quest in the demo that offers online yet.

I think the story quest are single player only, but the phantom quests (basically the same quests with the story bits ripped out) can be played online.

[e] I'm super disappointed you can't rank up spells in the demo. I farmed so many icebrands :(

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Is there an upper cost for restoring sacrificed/broken powers?
Since lacrima is capped at 100 in the demo, is it possible to permanently break Infernus or one of your spells?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

DrManiac posted:

[e] I'm super disappointed you can't rank up spells in the demo. I farmed so many icebrands :(

Keep them saved so you can transfer them over to the full game.

scissorman posted:

Is there an upper cost for restoring sacrificed/broken powers?
Since lacrima is capped at 100 in the demo, is it possible to permanently break Infernus or one of your spells?

50 is the max for Infernus in the demo but in the full game it can go all the way up to 100.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DrManiac posted:

That just means you'll be over-equipped for the full game. It isn't as if you've been uselessly grinding. Honestly, I feel those of us who can take down the Cerberus are going to be massively overpowered for the first 1/3 of the game. He's a pretty decent jump in difficulty, and I doubt the story missions will be making as drastic a jump.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

So you can only bring 10 spells with you into the full game? Did I read that right? How does that work, 10 individual spells (so, say, 10 level three venom golems?)

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
What's the best way to fight Cerberus solo?
I've had some success blocking with a shield but, after a couple of hits, the stun wears off too quickly and I take too much damage to hold on for long.

The AI companions also don't seem to help all that much.
Do they get any better when you raise affinity?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

scissorman posted:

What's the best way to fight Cerberus solo?
I've had some success blocking with a shield but, after a couple of hits, the stun wears off too quickly and I take too much damage to hold on for long.

The AI companions also don't seem to help all that much.
Do they get any better when you raise affinity?

AI companions seem almost universally terrible. I tried sacrificing myself on the harpy to see what it was like, and even with fire spells and abilities they were only doing 10 damage per hit (13 if I debuffed the harpy, 12 if I buffed them). They are very survivable and take a really long time to die (at least against the non-cerberus bosses), but their damage output is terrible and they are even worse at actually hitting the boss more than once before getting knocked around. Even with the harpy at less than 10% health they just couldn't get any significant damage in and eventually I got so bored of waiting that I just aborted the mission.

At most they seem to be useful for grabbing aggro occasionally so that you can go get your spells recharged on dead mobs or trees. Even if they scale with affinity I can't imagine them being good for much what with their damage output even at the start being only a tiny fraction of your own. On the harder bosses I can only expect them to be dead weight. Then again, maybe that's the developer's way of subtly telling you to play online.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 21, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also an annoying this is even some of the neutral companions will always choose to sacrifice you if you gently caress up which unless the boss is almost dead basically just ends the fight there due to their lovely damage output.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
So can you out-grind hard bosses like Cerberus in the full game?
I do at least some of my gaming on the go and I obviously can't go online during that time.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also an annoying this is even some of the neutral companions will always choose to sacrifice you if you gently caress up which unless the boss is almost dead basically just ends the fight there due to their lovely damage output.

This is NPC personality and I like it. Ultheena will never ever sacrifice you even if you beg for it and Namir will pull out all your bones in an instant and then laugh about it.

I also just unlocked a new color for one of my outfits. I believe I got this from saving bosses a hundred times while wearing Sand Dweller.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Question for people playing the Japanese full version. How many outfits are in the full game? And do a lot more color options unlock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
Has anyone figured out the deal with this game's terrible netcode? 90% of the lobbies I join have someone who never connects (which locks out the Ready button) or produce a 'Network Error' upon joining/starting the game, and whenever I get a network error it boots me all the way back out to the main menu (which means 30+ seconds of waiting and spamming buttons to dismiss that EULA message *again*).

Does my Vita have to have a static IP or something stupid like that? Do I need to open specific ports? Do I need to set a region filter option or something?

• Locked thread