Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Tried it today and it really feels like everything I wanted Diablo 3 to be.

Quick question: Do you still get the bonuses from "one-hand melee" passives if you're dual-wielding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
So I'm thinking that for the first 2 characters I'm going to do a staff-and-totem Templar (not sure if I want resolute technique) and a wand-and-curse witch.

Are there any unique items that are worth building a character around?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Ahhpple posted:

I'm pretty sure that GGG said somewhere that microtransaction respecs will not be available.

Thats a pretty odd decision. I mean it would be an item of pure convenience that wouldn't give buyers any actual power. Tthey could raise quite a bit of money with those while keeping the game balanced.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 22, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

kojicolnair posted:

They're pretty adamant about having no gameplay advantages from the cash shop whatsoever. Even if it's just a respec or whatever.

But it wouldn't give any gameplay advantage, its simply a time-saving convenience feature.

Edit: ^^^^^^What league will most goons be playing? (is it 24 char slot total, or 24 per league?)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lprsti99 posted:

You get some remove-only tabs in your default stash when a hardcore character dies. You can then move stuff from hardcore to default, but not vice-versa.

What happens to the gear you're wearing, does it get transfered with the character or disappear forever?

Edit: ^^ Can you recover skill points that are connectors between other skills?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lprsti99 posted:

All gear, equipped and in your inventory, is transferred with your character. And no, a refunded point needs to either be at the end of a line, or have two complete paths connecting to it.

I see, thanks! Hardcore it is then.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
How long (time-wise) does it take to get 30 skill points from scratch?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Khorne posted:

Not that long. Around three hours from scratch, solo, and with no help. If you are new it might be closer to five or six. It really depends on your pace and whether you do optional areas or not. If you party with other people it should be even quicker.

Thats pretty fast. I remember in Diablo 2 getting to level 30 would take a couple of days without using exploits.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Khorne posted:

In Diablo 2 there are some awkward hump levels. Pretty much from 18-30 is brutal in classic, and in expansion 18-24 or 18-25 is still brutal.

Man, I guess this game really is Ultimate Diablo.

How long would you say it would take to get say, 90 skill-points?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Welp, looks like I'll be putting off my totem templar. Also, am I understanding this right:

"The Elemental Equilibrium keystone passive skill now grants a flat amount (+25%) of resistance to each element you hit with and a resistance penalty (-50%) to each element not present in the hit."

So if you alternate between 2 attacks with different types of elemental damage you can reduce monster resistance to 0, and keep them low (between 0% and 25%) indefinitely?

Lets say monster X has 75% resistance to cold and fire and I alternate between cold and fire attacks it seems like his resistances will looks like this:

X's resists: cold...fire
Before attack 75% 75%
Hit with C 100% 25%
Hit with F 50% 50%
Hit with C 75% 0%
Hit with F 25% 25%
Hit with C 50% 0%
Hit with F 0% 25%
Hit with C 25% 0%
Hit with F 0% 25%
Hit with C 25% 0%
Hit with F 0% 25%

The resistance reduction gets even more severe if you cycle with all three elements because each resistance type will get lowered by 50% twice for every time it gets raised by 25%.

Edit: Also if monster resistances can go into negatives like Diablo 2 then this keystone is even more overpowered :psyduck:

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 23, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Hmm I guess that makes a bit more sense, with every application of the resistance changes removing any previous changes. Not quite as OP as what I was imagining. Although now the question is whether the new resistance changes are applied after the monster takes each hit, or do the raised resistances apply even to the hit which causes the effect?

Edit: Actually nevermiond if your version is the correct one then the monster cant take the hit with the raised resistances, since that would simply result in increasing its resistance to whatever you hit it with.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 23, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lprsti99 posted:

Well, it would be a pretty terrible effect if the resistance buff applied before the damage, as all that would effectively do is give the enemies a flat 25% bonus resistance against any elemental damage you did.

Yeah I just realized that myself :lol:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Anybody know the default probabilities for stuff like freezing enemies with cold damage, setting them on fire with fire damage and shocking them with lightning?

Also, what does being shocked do to monsters exactly?

Edit: nvm found the answers in the wiki:
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Status_Ailment

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 23, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I think for my first build I'll go for a maximum-crit, wand, and curse witch. By the time I'm around level 50 I should be freezing or shocking enemies with every other hit.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Eej posted:

Is there any drawback to doing like a melee witch aside from having to burn through maybe 10 points of filler before you reach the good stuff?

Because apparently melee is not the currently favored approach. I'm going with wands, personally.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 23, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

Set up a small private teamspeak if anyone wants to use it, legendary.killstealing.pro, default port, pw: d2

Bookmarked.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Ugh, sooo slow, 5 kb/s. Why didnt they just let us pre-load the patch?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
gently caress it I'm going back to work. Maybe it'll get better in a couple of hours.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MrFurious posted:

Are summon-heavy skills viable? I know almost nothing about this game. I see several undead based summons. I would assume this is all Witch based. Could you make a summon-based Templar?

Pretty sure a summoner-templar would be inferior to a summoner-witch. The Witch has 1 summoning skill-cluster right at the origin with another 2 clusters a bit further out, and 1 more far away. For the Templar all those clusters are either far or really far.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Did the servers go down for anyone else?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
3 questions:

What is the %quality people keep talking about?

How do I paste items into the chat so people can mouse over to see them?

Does anyone have a good wand in hardcore and would like to trade for it?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I think I made a big mistake by spending 5 skill points on getting the +50% to wand physical damage passive (works out to about +82% physical damage total with the 4 preceding passives). Its just that the damage numbers on wands creep up barely noticeably, while the elemental damage on my spells shoots up quite fast. I'm thinking about re-specing those 5 passives and moving them to elemental damage buffs, good idea?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Mr.48 posted:

I think I made a big mistake by spending 5 skill points on getting the +50% to wand physical damage passive (works out to about +82% physical damage total with the 4 preceding passives). Its just that the damage numbers on wands creep up barely noticeably, while the elemental damage on my spells shoots up quite fast. I'm thinking about re-specing those 5 passives and moving them to elemental damage buffs, good idea?

Just gonna ask this again.

Also, do we have a TS server to congregate on? Because I can just get us a channel on the Goon Tanks TS.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
So I made a shadow and found that I really like dual-wielding high-damage weapons like swords and axes. Unfortunately there dont seem to be any nearby dual-wielding passives. There are some weapon specific passives like daggers and claws, but I dont like their low damage output relative to swords and axes. Should I try to pick up more spell-casting/bow skills to augment my melee or just start a fresh Duelist character?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Hey so all the +critical chance passives work on both spells and weapon hits right?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

10bux posted:

The problem I have with the shared loot is the lag. Often when I try to pick something up it takes a second after I click it. This is fine if someone ninja's my scroll of wisdom or whatever, but I've lost 2 uniques because of this.

I think the solution is simple: We need to get our own TeamSpeak server and only party with fellow goons so loot snatching hopefully wont be an issue. (with the understanding that if someone picks something up that they dont need but another party member does, then the first person would hand it over)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

twoski posted:

Archer has a really un-satisfying feel thus far... Part of the fun of being a glass cannon that dumps arrows on things from a distance is being able to jump around and do actual acrobatics. I just ran into a rare hellion that could slow me and also ran really fast and i eventually died since my quicksilver flask ran out of charges. It gets old quick when your only real tactic is run away, shoot a few times, run some more, shoot a couple more times, etc.

I hope they also implement a trading board similar to D3's because it's not a lot of fun hollering in global chat about items you wanna sell.

You can filter out the global chat and only see the trade chat.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Divine Disclaimer posted:

Did this game just go down for everyone while I was two millimeters from killing that bitch siren...

Yeeeeeep

Apparently their servers are being DDoS'd according to their twitter. Can't imagine why :confused:

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 26, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I asked this a while back but it never got answered: can spells (like lightning nova) miss? I can't tell if I am just bad at positioning it but sometimes it is really frustrating and I can't hit stuff that looks like it is completely in the aoe.

The nova skills have a minimum range as well as a maximum. Monsters that are too close to you don't get it.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Aqua Hamster posted:

As much energy shield as humanly possible

Is chaos damage such a big problem at higher levels that this is a desirable state?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

dianekwon posted:

Whatever you do, don't mention that Path of Exile is online only.

Its also free, and doesn't pretend that not letting you play single-player offline is a "feature" instead of just being DRM.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

E: ^^^^ No, your group is a bunch of neckbeards sitting in their basement playing games. Or more likely a bunch of greedy 12-year-olds who barely even understand the concept of sharing.

As fun as it is, the whole loot-driven experience often brings out the worst in people. The other day I tried to trade someone for a white item with just the right socket-combination for my skills, only to have him pull up a literal spreadsheet of his past sales and start demanding at least 2 chaos orbs or 6 alchemy orbs because this one time he sold something similar to some other crazy person for that much.

He refused to budge and generally acted as if he was managing his retirement account instead of imaginary items in a free game. I then told him (politely) that if this is how he acts in a game I pity him in real life, at which point he started freaking out and calling me every possible combination of friend of the family jew human being oval office.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Really the only practical reason for them to decide against instanced loot is to avoid the extra server load which at this point has to be a legitimate concern for them. On the other hand, as more and more people start playing solo because of the loot-snatching, which backfires by creating even greater server-load.

I get it that they want to encourage more community interaction by people having to do more trading to get what they want, but this comes at the expense of people not actually wanting to play together.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Handy tip: The official wiki has way more stuff on it than is linked to from the front page. You can access those pages by searching terms like "skill gems" or "quests".

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

10bux posted:

If you kill all the bandits you get 1 passive skill point, I believe this is what most people do.

I dunno, permanent +8% resist all is pretty good too. Better than all those +6% resist all passives at any rate.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

The_L posted:

I'm someone who played a hell of a lot of Diablo 2 back in the day, and honestly wasn't as down on D3 as everyone else seemed to be (I got somewhere between 60-90 hours into it, that's more than enough for me.) Should I give it a go?

This game is a lot more like D2 than D3. So if you liked the former, you should like this. It also has the curious element from Diablo 1, where active skills like spells have to be either found or traded for.

pixaal posted:

Well gently caress, that crash ate the orb of regret I just found :smith:

Hey at least you didn't burn 2 orbs of fusing like I did last night in a really dumb experiment.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 27, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Stiggs posted:

But this doesn't affect you in any way, so who cares if it's fair or not?

Yeah, I can see how this is unfair in PvP leagues, but in PvE who gives a poo poo? If some idiot wants to spend a crapload of money on something that doesnt affect me in any way, I'm more than happy to let him, especially since his apparently poor impulse-control helps fund the game I love. People get way too hung up on e-honour.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 27, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

psychopomp posted:

Two questions:

1. What are the general guidelines for crafting? How is it done, when should I do it (as I play vs save my orbs for the endgame), and what do I want?

Definitely save your mid-higher level orbs like fusing, alchemy, chaos, scouring, etc. for higher level crafting because they randomize item properties and you will need a whole bunch of them to get the results you want. They are also a valuable trading currency for the same reason.

And speaking of trading I'm clearing out my stash:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/78494

I'll take low-ball offers from you guys out of goon-solidarity, just make sure to add something goony to you post over there so I know.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Agent355 posted:

So I have 2 characters who are part way through act 3 and one character part way through act 2.

So far I've seen exactly one unique drop.

Is that typical or am I just unlucky?

One of the things that irritated me about D3 was the absurdly low drop rates on uniques.

Similar situation, haven't seen a single unique drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Is there a good list of the items that DO have uniques right now? I'll at least know what base items I should use orbs of chance on.

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Unique_Items

• Locked thread