Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
My Mario and Luigi loving friend and I both tried getting into Dream Team but just . . . couldn't. It felt like such a slog in the opening, but I really want to go further because I'm sure there's a wonderful game under there.

Anyone mind lying the upsides and flaws of the game on the table so I can decide if its worth pressing on? Especially compared to Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story, which were two of my all-time favorite games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
It's not, it gets worse, and the slogging never stops. Only continue playing if you plan on trying to bore yourself to death.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Bee posted:

My Mario and Luigi loving friend and I both tried getting into Dream Team but just . . . couldn't. It felt like such a slog in the opening, but I really want to go further because I'm sure there's a wonderful game under there.

Anyone mind lying the upsides and flaws of the game on the table so I can decide if its worth pressing on? Especially compared to Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story, which were two of my all-time favorite games.

It really, really isn't. The difficulty in Dream Team is ridiculously high for how hand-holdy it is - mid-game trash mobs have more elaborate and damaging attacks than the final bosses in Inside Story, which is just a joy forever when you need to beat [x] number of them without getting hit once for the prizes. The characters all talk too loving much and their gimmicks become worn out within three speech bubbles. There's almost no plot to speak of, since the Bros just run around collecting MacGuffins from douche bags while the villains do everything important way in the background with minimal appearances until the finale. The final Big Luigi fight is one of the most miserable boss encounters I've had in recent memory, requiring high-precision timing with fairly imprecise motion controls and a final sequence where you need pixel-perfect control, while using the 3DS' awful gyroscope, while holding the 3DS sideways. I failed it over and over again until the game took pity on me and vastly reduced the amount of poo poo to dodge, which strikes me as an acknowledgement of failure on the devs' part.

It's an awful, tedious disaster of an RPG, which sucks because I also loved Superstar and Inside Story and was even more stoked by the SMRPG style of Dream Team. Seriously, save yourself the trouble.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's also filled to the brim with padding, not just within the story, but within the gameplay too. Some of the regular enemies have attacks that take a whole minute to dodge/counter, and the minigames for the special attacks get old fast.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
My only complaint with TheatryhthmCC is that after playing the demo, it takes a while for the difficulty to ramp up, but I understand why they had to do that since some people wouldn't have warmed up with the demo already. Also I'm really happy to see Final Fantasy Tactics represented. Every piece of battle music across any series is fun to play. :dance:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't know what to tell you about that final Luigi kaiju fight, I beat it my first time, the really hard tilt part you are talking about took two tries.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
With regards to Curtain Call I don`t know why everyone gets all excited over Crazy Chocobo when the best DLC song is clearly Shuffle or Boogie.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Getsuya posted:

With regards to Curtain Call I don`t know why everyone gets all excited over Crazy Chocobo when the best DLC song is clearly Shuffle or Boogie.

Yeah. Crazy Chocobo is more hilarious than it is pleasing to the ear.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Hey guys I am of the opinion that each Ouendan/EBA is better than the previous. Ouen < EBA < Ouen2. Of course I am the correct one so there will be no argument

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Hey guys I am of the opinion that each Ouendan/EBA is better than the previous. Ouen < EBA < Ouen2. Of course I am the correct one so there will be no argument

I'll second the opinion.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

The Bee posted:

Bowser's Inside Story is waaay better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dream Team is a fun game. It isn't as good as Bowser's Inside Story but it is in no way a disaster. The combat is awesome but somewhat dulled by the fact that the dungeons are all a bit too long for the enemy variety they have. Honestly, that is Dream Team's biggest problem. Everything is about 25% too long. If they'd trimmed a bit more from basically everywhere it would be a better game. It isn't bad but each area wears its welcome a bit thin. It picks up a lot after the first battle with Bowser which is where the combat starts picking up, but up until that point it is a bit of a slog.

I honestly had 0 trouble on any of the Luigi battles. They were easier than the similar ones in BIS.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Darn, for the most part these are some disheartening responses. And I did notice some enemies taking absurd time to dodge when I wandered into a later game area by mistake and found these rock-throwing crabs with really long attack patterns, too.

I finished the first Bowser fight before I put the game down, so I think I'm at the cusp of the game getting better. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Also the Bowser fights were fine except for the train. gently caress. That. Train.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

raditts posted:

So. Those Kid Icarus controls.
They're serviceable, I guess? But I would say that anyone who says they're anything approaching "good" is quite mad. They definitely take away from the game, especially when the little fucker runs when I want him to walk and walks when I want him to run. Those enemies that you have to strafe around because they have that laser beam that goes around in a circle are loving miserable.

Make sure your input sensitivity sliders are both set to maximum. It's not gonna fix the running/walking problem but it makes the controls a bit more tolerable, at least enough to enjoy the story/VA/music/stuff accumulationeering that makes the game so good.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Honestly I have the walking-running problem way more often in Smash, although that's more a tilts vs. smashes problem. It just seems to be a bit of a constant in Sakurai's games, and isn't helped much by the smaller, flatter stick. I bet on a properly-sticked console the running would be much easier to handle apart from the walking.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So for Theatrhythm, I was at my desk and yanked the front-audio cable out of my PC and stuffed it into my OG 3DS. No issues at all for sound volume that way and it filled the room nicely, although I didn't find the volume to really be an issue in the first place. Give it a shot sometime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Bee posted:

Darn, for the most part these are some disheartening responses. And I did notice some enemies taking absurd time to dodge when I wandered into a later game area by mistake and found these rock-throwing crabs with really long attack patterns, too.

I finished the first Bowser fight before I put the game down, so I think I'm at the cusp of the game getting better. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Also the Bowser fights were fine except for the train. gently caress. That. Train.

I'd say give it another dungeon or two and if you're still not having fun it's not gonna grab you.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm dumb I thought the demo would get a midnight release and instead am working my way through a 6 pack and moping because I'll be busy all day tomorrow and wanted to Smash tonight

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Erata posted:

My only complaint with TheatryhthmCC is that after playing the demo, it takes a while for the difficulty to ramp up, but I understand why they had to do that since some people wouldn't have warmed up with the demo already. Also I'm really happy to see Final Fantasy Tactics represented. Every piece of battle music across any series is fun to play. :dance:

Is the difficulty not dynamic? I felt like it ramped up at a reasonable pace. I had never played Theatrhythm before getting Curtain Call, and it took me about 5 or 6 hours of playtime to get up to the tougher stuff (I'm at Lv. 87, every song is on Ultimate Score pretty much.) I'm a music game veteran, though, so Force Your Way (FF8) Ultimate Score is the first song I've played that I'd call challenging.

Speaking of Force Your Way, stylus-only gameplay is starting to get really awkward, when charts devolve into nothing but 8th note taps with swipes and quick holds interspersed. Successive quick holds that each end in swipes are the worst. I think I'm going to try playing with a stylus in each hand; one for taps/holds, and the other for swipes. Does the 3DS touch screen accept more than one input at a time? If not, that's going to gently caress it all up.

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 19, 2014

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

enojy posted:

Is the difficulty not dynamic?

It didn't appear to be dynamic. It really was a minor quibble. I haven't played a rhythm game in a while and the hardest way to play this one is definitely stylus only since it's... Weird. It becomes memorization of the charts more than reacting to them. That's alright though.
Can't help but mention Super Hexagon even though it is not a rhythm/music game, but it's a game about pattern recognition and muscle memory. I feel like that kind of play is what the end game will be, except with a musical aid.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Weird, I thought playing with buttons was more difficult than playing with stylus, but I guess everyone has their own preferred style. Also I just plain had more fun, especially in battle mode since you get into the rhythm of slashing at the screen and it just feels nice. I can't imagine doing Field songs without a stylus, honestly.

But for anyone finding the airship levels hard to play, believe me I had that too. The weird effect they decided to go with where the notes come flying at sort of an off-angle from the front or side kinda gave me motion sickness the first few times. But then it somehow clicked. One time I was just playing another airship level and suddenly it was like my eyes adjusted to it and I didn't have any problems with them after that. I'm not sure if that's going to happen for everyone, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's possible to get used to it so it no longer strains your eyes.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Is it bad that I never felt annoyed by either the Giant Bowser battles or the Giant Luigi battles (barring the Hard Mode Earthwake and Zeekeeper battles)? I just generally owned them as I'd any other battle.

Also, they were pretty fun.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

I hope you have one of those 10,000 mAh batteries and a USB charger cable for the 3DS.

The seats come with standard plugs.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Erata posted:

It didn't appear to be dynamic. It really was a minor quibble. I haven't played a rhythm game in a while and the hardest way to play this one is definitely stylus only since it's... Weird. It becomes memorization of the charts more than reacting to them. That's alright though.

I don't agree with that last assertion you made. Granted, I played a lot of the first game, so I'm used to the stylus mode of play, but there are still a ton of songs in this game with charts I've never seen before, and I can react to their charts while playing stylus just fine.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I really enjoyed Superstar Saga and thought Partners in Time was cool except for the last area. gently caress the trash in that place. BiS I started but didn't get far. Can't remember why. All I really want though is a portable copy of 1000 Year Door

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I don't understand the complaints about Dream Team's enemies being more complicated to fight, I saw that as a plus for the game that regular enemy encounters are more involved than the generic JRPG "spam the attack command until everything dies" kind of thing.

What turned me off the game were the endless, relentless tutorials. If you thought Fi in Skyward Sword was bad, holy poo poo you ain't seen nothing yet. The game isn't content to just explain a new mechanic once. You'll approach an obstacle where it's obvious what ability to use because you've already done it three times before, but the game will still yank control away from you to walk you slowly through it step by step a fourth loving time. You can't choose to skip this, and you can't even mash A to speed through it because there's a ton of Mario and Luigi's babbling in fake Italian that can't be sped up. Twenty hours into the game this was still happening with such frequency that I'd be groaning and thinking "oh my god I KNOW just shut the gently caress up and let me do it" and it just became so infuriating I stopped playing.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Suaimhneas posted:

I think I like using the pad and buttons more for battle songs, but the pad is just garbage for field songs, all because of those hold notes. It always feels like it's lagging behind my inputs, and if there's a directional note at the end then it never works whatever I do. The stylus is so much better for those.

It's weird but the pad in the hold notes isn't analog control, it's digital and keeps speed with the slope as it needs to. You just need to hold up or down if the slope is going up or down, no need to be gentle, and you'll do fine.

This is pretty nice because it means on fast zigzag parts you are just slamming up and down to the beat.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

enojy posted:

Does the 3DS touch screen accept more than one input at a time? If not, that's going to gently caress it all up.
No, it doesn't.

Also in Curtain Call talk I had a question about Quest Medleys. I only had time to do one quest last night but every song was on Basic difficulty which is super boring and does not interest me. Is difficulty determined by the quest itself? If so, where can I see what difficulty a quest will be so I know to avoid the ones that are way too easy?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Kaubocks posted:

No, it doesn't.

Also in Curtain Call talk I had a question about Quest Medleys. I only had time to do one quest last night but every song was on Basic difficulty which is super boring and does not interest me. Is difficulty determined by the quest itself? If so, where can I see what difficulty a quest will be so I know to avoid the ones that are way too easy?

I think the difficulty is tied to the level of the Quest Medley and possibly also the rarity. I know in my level 70+ Quests most of the songs are Ultimate, and in my 90+ Quests some of the songs get the fun added bonus of small stretches of spinning slide notes.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Tried the Smash Bros. demo.

Technically pretty impressive, as for game play... This is pretty much a party game you get friends to play with and have Fun. In that sense this game is more in it's element on the Wii U, since none of my acquaintances have a 3DS.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

The Bee posted:

I've played all the M&L games to completion except for Dream Team. I think I clocked about 20 hours into it and just gave up out of boredom. I think it was the near non-stop dream sequences that were slowing it down for me, I really didn't like those. I just found it boring and couldn't be bothered to finish it.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I've played all the M&L games to completion except for Dream Team. I think I clocked about 20 hours into it and just gave up out of boredom. I think it was the near non-stop dream sequences that were slowing it down for me, I really didn't like those. I just found it boring and couldn't be bothered to finish it.

I've played all the M&L too and I found dream team to be challenging and fulfilling, though not as fun as Bowser's Inside Story. I liked the dream sequences as a mechanic. It's at the very least much better than Partners in Time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Suaimhneas posted:

I don't understand the complaints about Dream Team's enemies being more complicated to fight, I saw that as a plus for the game that regular enemy encounters are more involved than the generic JRPG "spam the attack command until everything dies" kind of thing.

Mostly it's that the fights end up taking so loving long. I don't want a fight against trash enemies to go six or eight rounds deep, I have poo poo to do. Leave the complicated attack patterns for the bosses.

A key example is the Virus enemy, the little fuzzy dudes from Dr. Mario. You fight them in groups of three in Superstar Saga. Every time you hit one they change color, and if all three of them match they die instantly. Fair enough. In Dream Team you fight them in groups of sixteen. And these are common enemies.

BIS had some enemies with tricky multi-stage attacks, but they were fairly spread out and usually accompanied by little weak dudes that can be easily one-shotted.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Stopping by to pick up my Curtain Call after class. I've been waiting ever since I tried the demo of the first game, finally it's happening.

Also, a game I've considered picking up since basically before I got my 3DS is DKCR3D. Is that any good?

For Mario & Luigi talk, I like Dream Team but I agree certain parts felt like a bit of a slog. I don't mind regular combats being involved, but with the sole exception (so far) of the star rocket bros move, anything that's used gyro controls has been absolutely terrible.

Haven't beaten it yet but I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end, at least.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

Also, a game I've considered picking up since basically before I got my 3DS is DKCR3D. Is that any good?

It is a very good and fairly challenging platformer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rexroom posted:

Tried the Smash Bros. demo.

Technically pretty impressive, as for game play... This is pretty much a party game you get friends to play with and have Fun. In that sense this game is more in it's element on the Wii U, since none of my acquaintances have a 3DS.

That is for sure one way to play it, but it's also a pretty serious fighting game with a huge scene, so much so that every stage has a "Final Destination" mode that is 1v1, no items. There's a lot of depth to what seems like a basic party fighting game.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Regy Rusty posted:

It is a very good and fairly challenging platformer.
Since I have more spare money at the moment than I should probably be allowed to have I'll be grabbing it when I go pick up Curtain Call then. Even though it'll probably sit unplayed for a while because Curtain Call y'all

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

No, it doesn't.

Look at the quest's level. Higher the level, the harder the songs. So when you finish that quest, the game will generate a new quest which will be of higher level, which may or may not be (I think is? Last game was, anyway) influenced by how well you did in this one. If you keep playing quests, they can start to ramp up very quickly. My main problem with quests is that I feel like each one is obligated to include multiple FFXI songs.

Also buy Curtain Call if you haven't yet, Jecht is a playable character.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

Look at the quest's level. Higher the level, the harder the songs. So when you finish that quest, the game will generate a new quest which will be of higher level, which may or may not be (I think is? Last game was, anyway) influenced by how well you did in this one. If you keep playing quests, they can start to ramp up very quickly. My main problem with quests is that I feel like each one is obligated to include multiple FFXI songs.

Also buy Curtain Call if you haven't yet, Jecht is a playable character.

My quests always seemed to give me FF-0 and 14 stuff. I got really sick of Titan's theme from 14 from how many times it showed up. It's a really cool song the first time you hear it, not so much the 5th and 6th within a short period of time.

I'm kind of on the fence about adding Animal Crossing New Leaf to my buy list. Here's what I'm thinking:
Pros - It's a good game and I like the Animal Crossing formula, since I still have other systems to play there's a good chance I won't want to spend all my free time playing 3DS so it'll be nice to have a game I only sit down and play for a short period of time each day so I can then put it down and do other stuff, it's dirt cheap
Cons - I'm bad at sticking with things and the first time I forget or decide not to play it for a few days I'll probably give up and never play it again because I don't want to go back to find my town full of weeds and all my favorite townspeople moved out and replaced by weirdos, it's at least partially in the same genre as Disney Magical Kingdom which I also really want to buy (but which is twice as expensive) so buying this may forever prevent me from buying that due to prices.

I dunno, it's a conundrum. Do people still play New Leaf? If I do pick it up it'd be cool to have people come visit and stuff.
Crap, but it's probably not cross-country compatible is it. I doubt people with the English version could visit a Japanese version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Getsuya posted:

My quests always seemed to give me FF-0 and 14 stuff. I got really sick of Titan's theme from 14 from how many times it showed up. It's a really cool song the first time you hear it, not so much the 5th and 6th within a short period of time.

I'm kind of on the fence about adding Animal Crossing New Leaf to my buy list. Here's what I'm thinking:
Pros - It's a good game and I like the Animal Crossing formula, since I still have other systems to play there's a good chance I won't want to spend all my free time playing 3DS so it'll be nice to have a game I only sit down and play for a short period of time each day so I can then put it down and do other stuff, it's dirt cheap
Cons - I'm bad at sticking with things and the first time I forget or decide not to play it for a few days I'll probably give up and never play it again because I don't want to go back to find my town full of weeds and all my favorite townspeople moved out and replaced by weirdos, it's at least partially in the same genre as Disney Magical Kingdom which I also really want to buy (but which is twice as expensive) so buying this may forever prevent me from buying that due to prices.

I dunno, it's a conundrum. Do people still play New Leaf? If I do pick it up it'd be cool to have people come visit and stuff.
Crap, but it's probably not cross-country compatible is it. I doubt people with the English version could visit a Japanese version.

People do still play it but as someone who did exactly what you described (play it for like a week and then forget about it) I can't really recommend it.

• Locked thread