Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

I'm a little confused by the description for the Bow Limit Break in Bravely Default. Hit a weakness with a physical attack? Thus far the only weaknesses I've seen have been elemental. Bows seem astronomically better than daggers on thieves so I'd like to keep using them.

Also the Ranger design is really, really unfortunate.

The Ranger has specific skills are super effective against different monster types, but you can also use Spell Fencer to hit elemental weak points with physical attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, the new Shantae game is out today, and virt is doing another pay-what-you-want soundtrack release:

@virtjk posted:

Thurs Oct 23, 7PM PDT, http://twitch.tv/virtjk Streaming 50+track Shantae and the Pirate's Curse OST, then posting on http://virt.bandcamp.com

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That feels sudden, I thought that game was in developmental hell because I hadn't seen any discussion of it for months.

Strange Quark posted:

The Ranger has specific skills are super effective against different monster types, but you can also use Spell Fencer to hit elemental weak points with physical attacks.
I guess this is a dumb question but do Spell Fencer spells work on weapons besides swords?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

That feels sudden, I thought that game was in developmental hell because I hadn't seen any discussion of it for months.
I guess this is a dumb question but do Spell Fencer spells work on weapons besides swords?

They do and for any weapon, even bare fists. Spell Fencer + Valkyrie's Crescent Slash is great for wiping out hordes of enemies.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Yes. And since Bows have the most ridiculously high attack power for most of the game one of your bread and butter damage combos is a bow-user with Spell Fencer secondary (or a Spell Fencer with equip bow secondary) for massive damage on all bosses.

Anyway regarding Tales of the World, it's pretty good. The only thing is I'm kind of surprised by how fast its moving. The battles are insanely quick and so far very easy, though there is a harder difficulty to play on so I can always increase the challenge. Money is really hard to come by but it never feels like it matters because I never feel like I need to equip myself (you can only equip accessories anyway). They cram a lot of characters in pretty fast, but since it's a fanservice game I guess the idea is you get everybody and then just use the ones you like.

The combo system is pretty broken though. Combo-ing your attack with a magic-user allows that magic user to instantly use any spell, even if it would normally have a charge time. And then the magic user can still take their own turn after the combo attack. I imagine the combo system is going to be one of the main points of the game, since it's tied not only to massive damage but also to the relationship system.

Considering how much other Tales games tend to drag on it'll be interesting to see how long this one lasts, considering the breakneck pace it seems to be moving at. Either way it's pretty fun and simple. It's no Final Fantasy Tactics or anything, but it's what I hoped for for what is basically Tales Tactics.

Oh and it being 100% full voice for the story parts is awesome.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo NA dudes, the new Shantae game is out today, and virt is doing another pay-what-you-want soundtrack release:

I don't particularly have any interest in this Shantae game, I'm way more looking forward to the kickstarted one because of all the hand drawn stuff. But man Jake Kaufman is just so good. I kind of want to buy the game JUST to support his songs

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Getsuya posted:

Yes. And since Bows have the most ridiculously high attack power for most of the game one of your bread and butter damage combos is a bow-user with Spell Fencer secondary (or a Spell Fencer with equip bow secondary) for massive damage on all bosses.
Only downside to this is that my thieves were also my Miscellany/Examine users. Going to be interesting finding a slot for that now.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Find Mii is some loving bullshit. I just lost 9 level 2 heroes because I was in the dark room and the white one was at the end of the line.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They fix that in Find Mii 2.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Only downside to this is that my thieves were also my Miscellany/Examine users. Going to be interesting finding a slot for that now.

Honestly you should probably drop it. As you get more and more jobs, it becomes more and more difficult to justify using Freelancer's subpar skill set (at least until you master it). I wish they'd just made Examine a passive or something

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Looper posted:

Honestly you should probably drop it. As you get more and more jobs, it becomes more and more difficult to justify using Freelancer's subpar skill set (at least until you master it). I wish they'd just made Examine a passive or something
Will enemy entries in the notebook get filled out if I don't examine them?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The free Halloween theme meows when you open the 3DS :3:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Sodium Chloride posted:

The free Halloween theme meows when you open the 3DS :3:

Mine's 99 cents, is there anything special you have to do to get it free?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

SystemLogoff posted:

Mine's 99 cents, is there anything special you have to do to get it free?
Nintendo are emailing codes for it to Club Nintendo members in Europe, I'm not sure if it's just some members or everyone.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Will enemy entries in the notebook get filled out if I don't examine them?

Yep! Examining gets you hp totals and innate weakness junk. You just have to see an enemy to get its bestiary page

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Nintendo are emailing codes for it to Club Nintendo members in Europe, I'm not sure if it's just some members or everyone.

I literally picked up my 3DS, opened it, saw this reply and immediately closed it and put it back. :(

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I got two of them, PM me if you want one.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I got two of them, PM me if you want one.

I'm in NA. :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You guys paid $10 to join an internet forum but 99 cents is too much.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

noirstronaut posted:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's not 2012 anymore

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

There's a difference between a 3DS theme and a SA account.

One's a never-ending supply of joy and entertainment, and the other is a SA account.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

noirstronaut posted:

I joined when SA was free :colbert:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Someone bought my account for me and I'm sure they've regretted it ever since.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

noirstronaut posted:

As it's been said, one has given me over 10 years of use, the other will be replaced in seconds.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, TRU has the Pokemon X/Y 2DS bundle for $130 right now, and they're doing a deal where you can also pick a free 3/DS game worth $30 or less, which includes big first-party stuff like Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, NSMB2, Animal Crossing, DKCR3D and Mario Golf:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...ThursdayDynamic

EDIT: Layton x Ace Attorney, Lego City Undercover and Disney Magical World are there, too.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 24, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Drowning Rabbit posted:

As it's been said, one has given me over 10 years of use, the other will be replaced in seconds.

Oh no, you won't be able buy half a coffee

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Yes, but, you see, it is a single dollar.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe they'd rather have the dollar. Dunno why it matters.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To anyone who has played Bravely Default, I have a question: Does it use the R button? A friend of mine broke the R button on his 3DS and wants a new 3ds game. Smash Bros is out, obviously so he was asking me about BD which I haven't played.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Oh no, you won't be able buy half a coffee

I'd rather have the half coffee, personally.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Red Suit posted:

To anyone who has played Bravely Default, I have a question: Does it use the R button? A friend of mine broke the R button on his 3DS and wants a new 3ds game. Smash Bros is out, obviously so he was asking me about BD which I haven't played.

You don't need the R button for Smash. Just remap one of the extraneous jump commands there.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strange Quark posted:

You don't need the R button for Smash. Just remap one of the extraneous jump commands there.

I didn't know that, thanks!

TheUkuleleFanboy
Sep 2, 2011

Red Suit posted:

I think it's just used as a shortcut button for a specific command. It will be slower but still playable probably.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
If I recall the R button is just a shortcut to use the Bravely option during a battle, not essential since you can use the manual method in the menus I believe.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tamayachi posted:

If I recall the R button is just a shortcut to use the Bravely option during a battle, not essential since you can use the manual method in the menus I believe.

I have fully-functional shoulder buttons and I only use the menus for Brave/Default.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Red Suit posted:

It does, but it's not essential. You can play the game entirely with your left hand if you so desire.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, I've been wanting the new Shantae for awhile, but I'm pretty broke right now. As dumb as it sounds I could of convinced myself to spend $15 on it but I'm having a harder time justifying $20.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

axleblaze posted:

Damnit, I've been wanting the new Shantae for awhile, but I'm pretty broke right now. As dumb as it sounds I could of convinced myself to spend $15 on it but I'm having a harder time justifying $20.

I am sure there is a bit of psychology behind purchases and price limits thereof.

Myself, I want to get it but I decided to complete Riskys Revenge first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

RyokoTK posted:

I'd rather have the half coffee, personally.

I bought a theme. A character one, at that! If I could do it all over again, I'd take the coffee.

• Locked thread