Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:siren: https://twitter.com/smealum/status/535552052097585152 :siren::filez:

Homebrew release is a few hours from now instead of Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don't know if it was covered, but on a Mac, you can just copy your old SD card over to the desktop, then swap cards and copy the contents back over to the new one.

I just did it, no bootcamp or windows or anything special required.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Supercar Gautier posted:

I've heard it can take SDHC but NOT SDXC cards, so that could be your problem.

I tried two SDHC cards and an SDXC formatted to FAT32, none worked

Rexroom posted:

Other than that error, can it read and write data on the card?

No, I'll take it back in shortly. So annoying, it took a lot of the excitement out of the ORAS launch for me :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Man, the funniest thing about this hack is that there's no reason to do it, but I'm excited.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I'm excited for homebrew because this is very similar to how homebrew on the Wii started.

First an exploit, then a launcher, then great emulation + usb loading support.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

PRADA SLUT posted:

I don't know if it was covered, but on a Mac, you can just copy your old SD card over to the desktop, then swap cards and copy the contents back over to the new one.

I just did it, no bootcamp or windows or anything special required.
Hmmmm seems like information which should go in the thread title

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Aardvark Barber posted:

I'm excited for homebrew because this is very similar to how homebrew on the Wii started.

First an exploit, then a launcher, then great emulation + usb loading support.

I mean, yeah, I see it coming, of course, but also there's no reason for me to get this *now*

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

irlZaphod posted:

Hmmmm seems like information which should go in the thread title

There was something about it not working on a Mac or some crazy poo poo with the OS X filesystem that you needed to use Windows for, just confirming OS X works fine.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

noirstronaut posted:

Trade in value is $.40 through GameStop.

"You're taking any number and, you're just turning it into cents."

"Well, it's just you know, I'm haggling."

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Got my New 3DSXL replaced, no questions asked. It still has frame rate issues in 3D on pokemon :(

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The game has to be enhanced for New 3DS to take advantage of the power. Only Smash does that right now, but a lot of devs are mentioning they'll patch in support.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Dehry posted:

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/games/cubic-ninja/90784

Cubic Ninja's used price went up to $40

E: I wonder what that did to the trade in value?

It's also available at all the stores in my area now where as it wasn't before. I wonder if they withheld copies once they knew what was up or they had them at a warehouse somewhere and shipped them out everywhere to capitalize on this.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Dehry posted:

The game has to be enhanced for New 3DS to take advantage of the power. Only Smash does that right now, but a lot of devs are mentioning they'll patch in support.

I know, but I was hoping maybe they had done it for ORAS

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did...did I just straight up murder a dude and his wife with a petrify spell in Shantae 3? :stare: The other games had some macabre humor, but geez.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here it is, the menu theme we've all been waiting for:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
E: ^^ gently caress I didn't want to buy any system menus but that is too hilarious ^^

strap on revenge posted:

I know, but I was hoping maybe they had done it for ORAS

ORAS is using the X/Y engine so it's likely they've just not upgraded it for it (or will ever) so they could shove it out the door to cash grab on old games

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Smealum's hack is more than likely being released in about 15 minutes.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Nate RFB posted:

Did...did I just straight up murder a dude and his wife with a petrify spell in Shantae 3? :stare: The other games had some macabre humor, but geez.

Sort of, yeah. They're okay if the credits are to be believed.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
And GBATemp is down.

e: It's back. Maybe Smealum is relying on FileTrip for the upload? Who knows. I sure don't.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's up.

Screenshot of the page with instructions.

http://smealum.net/ninjhax/

Backed up files in the instructions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fk6gq1qzgehz9cj/backup.zip?dl=0

QR code for those on 9.2.0.20 E (E and U are the same) No they are not. QR code has been fixed for 9.2.0.20 U. gently caress Europe..

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 21, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That's more like it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dehry posted:

That's more like it

How well does it run and look?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

All I ever wanted was emulators on the go but I was too lazy to go out and buy an old DS flashcard. Maybe I'll try this soon.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Motto posted:

How well does it run and look?

Runs and looks fine. Blarg and 3DS Paint are the only things available right now as .3dsx files. Outside of that, Blarg has no sound. Not yet, at least. I give it a day.

Also, since we're semi on the topic of Earthbound, I've been using this Control improvement hack that turns A into the L interaction button and makes the controls modern.

http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/Control-Improvement/

Emulators are within the rules, yeah?

Unofficial/nightly compiles of the emulators.

http://www.emucr.com/2014/11/gameyob-git-20141106.html Gameyob
http://www.emucr.com/2014/11/blargsnes-git-20141105.html blargSnes

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 21, 2014

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Recorded some blargSNES footage. Runs fullspeed with sound. Amazing.

https://vid.me/DZNC

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Aardvark Barber posted:

What build are you using? Mine has sound but no borders. I loving want my drat borders.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Applications

Got my build from here.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Aardvark Barber posted:

I loving knew it.

gently caress Nintendo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
drat now I want cubic ninja. If anyone who has it is interested in setting up some kind of chain that would be really sweet -- I'd be happy to mail it to the next person in line. And, if I can find my own copy, I'll set a chain like that up myself, promise yall

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

goferchan posted:

drat now I want cubic ninja. If anyone who has it is interested in setting up some kind of chain that would be really sweet -- I'd be happy to mail it to the next person in line. And, if I can find my own copy, I'll set a chain like that up myself, promise yall

The homebrew channel is installed to the game, you need to use the game each time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The worst part about all this bullshit is I actually wanted to buy Cubic Ninja for non-homebrew reasons and now it's impossible to find for a reasonable price after years of lining bargain bins.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Aardvark Barber posted:

The homebrew channel is installed to the game, you need to use the game each time.

That's too bad, I thought it was just for install like with Twilight Princess on the Wii. I'm not even mad, now I'm just interested to see where the price stabilizes for copies

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...
The SNES emulator isn't the only thing to get so far. There's also a GameBoy / GameBoy Color emulator that works flawlessly. Make sure your blargSNES is version 1.19 and it should be from that 3dbrew or whatever site a few posts up. It has sound and runs quite well. Some games don't launch, though. It's got some kinks to work out but this is a great start!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The worst part about all this bullshit is I actually wanted to buy Cubic Ninja for non-homebrew reasons and now it's impossible to find for a reasonable price after years of lining bargain bins.

Don't lie.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

KingSlime posted:

Don't lie.

I seriously did, I'm working on a vaguely similar game and I wanted to use it as a reference.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

I seriously did, I'm working on a vaguely similar game and I wanted to use it as a reference.

I already trademarked Square-ish Ninja so you better loving think again buddy.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It's the exact same game with a slightly swapped palette, isn't it?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Dehry posted:

That's more like it

How do you get BlargSNES to appear in the homebrew menu? I copy the folder across like he says, but it doesn't show up in the list.

E: Figured it out, If anyone else has this problem change the folder name from blargSnes_1.1 to blargSnes.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 21, 2014

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I got the New 3DS today, and while the 3D effect is real good, the auto-brightness feature is super finicky and changes for no real reason. Like I'll move it slightly closer to my face and it'll decide to change the brightness. Whenever you guys get them, you'll want to turn it off right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Champeenship posted:

I got the New 3DS today, and while the 3D effect is real good, the auto-brightness feature is super finicky and changes for no real reason. Like I'll move it slightly closer to my face and it'll decide to change the brightness. Whenever you guys get them, you'll want to turn it off right away.

How do you compare the screen quality to the regular model? I am curious to know if there are any other improvements, image-quality wise, despite the same resolution.

• Locked thread